Courtney woke up in the chair in that den with the sun shining in her eyes. For a moment she didn't know where she was. As she looked around she saw the sheets of paper scattered all over the floor.

She jumped up gathering all the sheets into her hand, placing them back in the box. She rushed through the house, searching room to room, finally finding her father standing on the balcony of his bedroom.

She began to speak without him even facing her. "I've spent the last seven months hoping this day wouldn't come. I know you love Val and I know she loves you... but this is something that forces me to move past the death of my mother. That's a day I never wanted to see happen. Even if I need to let go a little, I didn't want to." She continued, full of emotion and tears welling up in her eyes. "I miss this. I miss L.A. I miss the ocean minutes away. I miss the sunsets from the den. I miss my friends here. But most of all I miss what Los Angeles means..." tears streamed down her face, "Los Angeles is mom. And it seems like you are taking away everything that reminds me of her..."

"Courtney Jewel." He said sternly before he realized his tone was harsher than he meant to deliver. "I would never do such a thing." He swallowed hard, "Your mother wanted you to grow up somewhere other than Los Angeles, she wanted you to have a childhood you would never forget. I have only done as she wished." The sting of the reality in his words hit him hard, she was gone, and the bitter pain she was feeling was written all over his face.

"Let me finish." She whispered. "I watched the face of someone I used to know, disappear without a trace when you lost mom, and for what felt like eternity, I finally see the light in your eyes again. Val makes you happy, I know that. I thought the new normal was seeing the dim light and sadness that we should all feel because of her death. But now..." She opened the box, "After reading your words, I know that you weren't just moving on, you were coping the best way you knew how."

Justin smiled slightly as he looked at that box. Exhaling a breath he finally managed words, "I wrote as many letters as I could to her. I wanted her to know the ups and downs of our lives. I wanted her to hear about your happy times despite the sadness. I want her to always be a part of our lives. And this was the only way I knew how to keep her around more than in my heart." He pulled her into him, hugging her as if it were for the first time all over again, "I never expected this to happen. I never expected to fall in love again. And I would never do something that hurts you or anything in spite of you. You are the only person in the world that I would not do this for."

"I want you to marry Valarie, I love her... she has been my rock when I needed her. The two of you are hopelessly in love. It was all personal issues of mine." She smiled, "Typical Hollywood story right..."

He looked at her funny.

She chuckled at her father. "You, marrying your assistant and all..."

He smiled, "I guess so."

 

With family and friends surrounding them, Justin married Valarie in a small intimate ceremony with Courtney willingly by their side just moments before the New Year was about to begin.

 

Valarie stood at the altar, dressed in a gorgeous white Vera Wang gown, with a veil gently lying down over her face. "I'm not the one good with words, and everyone here will find that out momentarily, so I will be short and sweet. Finding love at a time when someone least suspects it could be the only way to describe our relationship. I am happy to be standing here today, not only gaining a husband... She looked over at Courtney and back at Justin, "but also an incredible step-daughter. Today we take our pasts and bring them into the bright future. I love you."

 

"Val..." Justin stopped with his voice beginning to break and his water filled with emotion-filled tears." I wasn't sure this day would ever come, but you were. You are my life, and when I think I don't deserve you, you love me just the same. I wasn't sure if love could survive everything we put it through, but you were." Justin's hand went up to her flushed cheeks and whipped away the tears that streamed down her face. "You were always strong and always sure, even in my darkest days. And as the mirror says we're older, I will not look the other way. You are my life, my love, my only. And that's the one thing that won't change." He wrapped his hands around hers. "That I am sure of." He leaned in and kissed her forehead gently. "You give me life, and breath, and everything."

 

 

A new year, a new beginning for all of them.

Chapter End Notes:

:) Merry Christmas everyone!


Completed
musicmel is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked His Words also liked 5 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story