Chapter 13

“Justin?” Alison wandered out of her ‘new bedroom’, where she had spent the last house putting away her things, wondering where Justin had gone.  She hadn’t heard a peep out of him since he escorted her there. She gazed at her surroundings, unable to believe that all of this privacy, this luxury was hers now.  Hers only.  And Justin had said that he would only come in if he was invited.

If she were being truthful, she wanted him in there on the big, comfy bed right this very second but she just wasn’t ready to take that step yet.  But she was thinking … oh yes, she was thinking.  That night when he had touched her had been so amazing, so … explosive … so much more than she’d ever experienced before.  And she wanted more and more of it, but the final step was holding her back.  Because the more she got of those feelings and touches and caresses, the more she needed him.  Her body actually craved his touch.  Shaking her head, she reached the top of the stairs and heard his voice wafting up through the air.  She decided to go downstairs to let him know.

For the time being.

The thing was, Ali wanted to stay there and live with Justin almost more than anything.  But she had defied the people who took her in when she was alone and treated her exactly like their own child.   She loved them and already was missing them so she was feeling a little down.  That’s why she was searching for Justin; he could always make everything seem okay.  The more she descended, the more she realized he was yelling into the phone.  Something about a shipment not arriving on time and how everyone was in deep shit when it was over.  He clicked the button and tossed it beside himself on the couch, then leaned to rest his elbows on his knees, rubbing his face in frustration.

Alison didn’t know what to do.  Should she let him know she was there?  Or should she tiptoe back upstairs?  She was worried about his reaction but she didn’t like seeing him so upset so she decided to go over there.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” she inquired quietly.  “You okay?”

He chuckled as he removed his hands and straightened up.  “Yeah, baby,” he answered.  “Why?”

She shrugged, shifting from side to side.  “Well, you were just screaming into that phone a second ago … usually that’s a sign that there’s a problem …” Was she being too nosy?

He leaned back on the couch and opened his arms.  “C’mere, baby,” he beckoned for here to come over and she eagerly complied, walking over and sinking down into the soft cushions into his arms.  She rested her head in the crook of his neck and shoulder and just sighed.

“What?” he wanted to know.

She shrugged again.  “Just … I’m so happy right now.  I mean, being with you anytime I want is so weird but so perfect.  I love this,” she shifted in his arms so they could look at each other without breaking the embrace.

“No regrets?” he asked, and she could feel his body tensing slightly as he waited for the answer.

She sighed again, but this was not a sigh of contentment.  “No … I don’t regret leaving and being with you.  Not at all,” she shook her head for emphasis.  “But that doesn’t mean I don’t feel bad for leaving like that.  I didn’t get to say goodbye to Mom and Dad pretty much disowned me when I left!  Justin, what you have to understand that I have never gotten into an argument with them.  Never.  If they said to do something, I just did it.  Sam is the rule-breaker, not me.  So … for me to do this is BIG.  I just worry that this is permanent, I mean, not leaving here but not having a relationship with them at all.  It bugs me.  I love you and them, you know?  So this is hard. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

Justin squeezed her tightly against him.  “Yeah, baby.  I do get what you’re saying, I really do.  If you want my honest opinion,” he paused and looked down at her and she nodded for him to continue, “I think it just needs a little bit of time.  Everybody needs to cool off, including us.  It’s not like you won’t be at school, doing all the usual things you do.  If they want to find you, they know exactly where to find you.  Look, Ali -- I want you here with me permanently.  But I know a part of you wants to reconcile with them, move back in and still be able to see me, and I don’t blame you for that.  The ball is in your court, so to speak.  I want you to stay but if you want to try to smooth things over with them or not has nothing to do with my feelings for you.  I love you no matter what. So do whatever makes you happy.  I just want you to be happy, baby,” he finished.

“So you want me to be happy, huh?” she smiled at little up at him, thinking how cute he looked with the little bit of stubble on his chin.  She was tired of thinking about her parents and arguing and moving.  She just wanted to enjoy the parent free time with him.  “What’re you gonna do to make me happy?”

Justin smiled and his eyes turned a darker blue.  “Baby, I can make you happier than you could ever imagine.  Ever.  I’m going to spoil the fuck out of you.  And I just thought of the first way to do that.  So get up,” he said suddenly, making Alison wondering what the heck he was up to.  She untwined herself from around him and stood up and he followed suit, grabbing her by the hand and heading toward the door. 

“Where’re we going?” she wondered as they grabbed their coats and headed for the elevator.

“Well,” Justin said thoughtfully, “I could take you upstairs and make mad, crazy sexy love to you right this second.  Believe me, that would make you happy.  But since we’re waiting on that, I know what the second way into a girl’s heart is.”

“Which is?” Alison asked impatiently but blushing slightly from what he had said.

“Shopping!

~*~

Three hours later they returned home laden with bags from almost every store in Pentagon City, most of then for Alison, but a few for Justin.  He tried to be the gentleman and carry all the bags but staggered under the weight so he reluctantly agrees to let Alison help.  They were laughing and talking when they entered the penthouse and saw JC and Slo standing there, obviously waiting for Justin.  While Alison was surprised, Justin didn’t bat an eyelash

“Guys, what’s up?” he asked them.

Slo, looking as gangsta as ever in baggy jeans, boots, and a Washington Redskins jersey, told him, “We’re still having a problem with the shipment.  It’s still on the way and the motherfuckers are like three hours away.”

Alison didn’t mean to but she shrunk back a little to hide behind Justin who barely noticed as he slipped his arm around her waist. Slo was scary to her, no matter how nice Justin said he was. 

“Hey Alison,” JC said, giving a little wave.  “Doing a little shopping?” he smiled at her.

She smiled back genuinely – JC seemed like such a nice guy.  “Looks like it,” she raised her arms holding a ton of bags.  “Hi, Slo,” she said tentatively, for frustration and anger were written all over his face.

But he surprised her.  “Hi Alison,” he said back easily, all previous dissatisfaction gone.  “Nice to see you again,” he even gave her a small smile which she returned.

“Baby,” Justin turned and kissed her on the forehead, “why don’t you take some of this stuff upstairs and start sorting through it until I figure out what’s going on with this shipment, okay?  I’ll come get you when we’re finished.”

Alison hoisted as many bags as she could carry – she couldn’t wait to get to the loot Justin had insisted on buying for her – and nodded.  “No problem.  I’ll probably be busy for hours with all of this,” she laughed and started heading up the stairs to her room.  “’Bye, guys,” she waved again and went on her way.

Once Justin was sure she was gone his expression and easy manner changed quickly into that of a cold as ice, steel-made man.  “What the fuck?  JC, you knew she was coming here.  You knew she had a key and was pretty much moving in!  And you idiots just show up here on a fucking Sunday talking shit about a late shipment?  Are you seriously trying to blow my cover or are you just that fucking stupid?”

Trying to defend himself, JC spoke up.  “Look J, we got kilos coming in late and people don’t like shit that eats up three hours of their time, especially when then shipment was already postponed earlier!  We called your ass on, like, three different phones and you didn’t answer so we came over.  We do this shit all the time, what the fuck is your problem?”

“My problem is that there was no Alison before.  She cannot, I mean cannot know that I do anything except build houses.  Now I gotta come up with an excuse as to why I’m worried about a shipment coming in on a fucking Sunday night?  You assholes are fucking up my shit big time,” Justin said, extremely annoyed as he flopped down on the couch.

Slo finally spoke up.  “Look, we won’t come here anymore unannounced or whatever the fuck you want.  But Jase was MIA and so were you so we were kinda fucking worried.  We didn’t know you were hanging out at the mall,” he said snidely, making JC laugh quietly.

“Jase ain’t MIA – he’s playing ball over at 32nd all day,” Justin told them.  “And I took care of the shipment this morning – or so I thought – and turned off my phones so I could have some private time.  Look guys, I really need you to downplay this whole thing and only talk house shit around her, okay?  Just do this shit for me.”

JC shook his head as he sat down in a chair.  “You gotta tell her, man.  This is too difficult.  You’re talking about having her move in and shit? And you really think she won’t find out?  She may be naïve but she ain’t stupid.”

Slo paced the floor while Justin answered.  “I’m gonna tell her … eventually.  I have to ease her into it.  I want Jase to meet her, and then maybe my mom and dad … see how things go.  But for now she’s living here and—“

“WHAT?” JC sat straight up.  “A re you insane?  Seriously, are you fucking insane? You’re not gonna be able to keep things from her.  This is the dumbest shit I ever heard.  Slo, would you please say something?”

Slo was a man of few words, even in situations such as these.  “Dude, you’re gonna get busted and then you’re gonna lose her.”

Justin shook his head as if to clear it.  “No, look.  She has her own room.  We both are sleeping in separate rooms.  Any business that has to be conducted will be conducted in my private room.  That includes when you two motherfuckers wanna come over here talking business.  Got it?”

Unable to talk any sense into their friend, both men agreed, and then the three of them got down to business – one of their so-called crack factories was about to be shut down if they didn’t get their shipment soon.  Slo had the best outcomes dealing with these types of guys -- if you thought Slo was hood, you wouldn’t believe what some of their associates looked like.  The guys started making a plan for Slo to carry out so that business wouldn’t be disrupted.

~*~

Alison had tried on at least twenty-five different outfits, not to mention shoes, underwear – she made Justin leave her alone in Victoria’s Secret while she shopped – makeup, everything you could think of.  And she loved it all!  On an impulse she reached for the phone to tell Sam everything but then stopped short.  They were probably having dinner right now, she thought, and she could just imagine the misery everyone was feeling.  And it was all her fault.  Everything.

But she didn’t regret it.  She was eighteen after all, and eventually she had to spread her wings.  This wasn’t the best way to do it but Alison couldn’t see her parents ever letting her date Justin again after what had happened.  She would try to mend fences with them as soon as possible – yes, that was it – a nice, long, letter explaining anything.  That way they couldn’t cut her off and yell.  Even if they were angry when they first read the letter, surely they would eventually calm down and hopefully be able to meet her halfway.

Yes!  Looking around the room, she walked over to the desk and saw the computer and printer set up but no paper.  Wow, Mr. Perfect actually forgot something, she mused to herself, then decided to go ask him.  She was sure he wouldn’t mind her interrupting him and his friends for a second. 

She left the room and walked over to the stairs, then slowly began going down to see if now was an okay moment to bother him.  Words came floating up the high ceiling and she could barely hear what they were saying.

“So it’s back on track,” Slo said.  “Another hour and we’ll be good.”

“Good work, dawg,” Justin said, and it sounded like they were giving each other a pound.  “Look, man, I gotta ask you another big favor … you know we go way back so I’m trying to keep it straight with you.”

“What up?”

“Can you chill a little on your dress code?”

Alison stopped cold, knowing she shouldn’t be listening but unable to stop.  It was like she was frozen. 

“Chill on my dress code?  What the fuck does that mean?”  Uh-oh.  Slo sounds a little offended.

“Not everywhere, dude.  Just … when you’re coming here or Ali’s gonna be somewhere can you wear, like, regular clothes?  Leave the boots at home?”

Slo laughed.  “You mean wear sneakers everywhere like you?  You think that’s a better way to dress than me?”

“Nah, man, it’s just, she was asking questions about you, like how we met and how you’re in the housing business and shit dressed like that.  I kinda got the feeling she was fishing for information and you know—“

“I know, J.  You got it.  Can’t have anybody getting too curious right?  I’ll clean up for you.”

“Aight man.  They slapped hands again and Justin said, “C’mon, I’ll walk you out.”

Alison stayed where she was, frozen on the stairs.  Getting curious?  She was downright suspicious!  The penthouse, the cars, the shopping, the money just flowing everywhere … What had she done?  Was she living with a true life drug dealer?

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: druggiej breakupj justin