Chapter 2

 

"I got it!" Melissa shouted, startling everyone around her. The members from NSYNC plus her and Rachel were gathered in a back room lounging before the guys had to do a sound check for that nights show.

 

JC and Justin were sitting on one of the couches hashing out a song they were writing together. Lance was sprawled on another couch across from JC and Justin. Chris was sitting at the table snacking on a bag of chips. Rachel sat on the floor, leaning against the couch JC habited; while Melissa leaned against the other couch with Joey next to her.

 

"Finally learned how to tie your shoes?"

 

"Just now realized why the blonde was staring at the Orange Juice container?"

 

"Har har," Melissa rolled her eyes. "No. I have the perfect solution for your problem."

 

"I told you, Mel," Rachel sighed. "Grandfather will not believe I suddenly have a boyfriend and even if I did he wouldn't be taken seriously. You know how he feels about Florida and the people here. He will also not believe," she continued on when Melissa opened her mouth. "That I joined a convent. Joined a religious cult that prohibits me from procreating. Developed some debilitating disease. Became a lesbian."

 

"You became a lesbian?" Joey repeated his mind working.

 

"No and no you can't watch if I was," Rachel said, tossing her empty Pepsi bottle at him. "You need help."

 

"Tell him about your aversion to penises."

 

The room stilled as all eyes turned on Rachel, who blushed. "I am going to kill you." She glared at her friend.

 

Melissa cackled. "Tell him you secretly married Lance on your eighteenth birthday and you had lots and lots of sex to consummate the marriage."

 

"God, I wish I was dead," Rachel brought her legs to her chest and rested her forehead on her knees. "And why is it always Lance with you?"

 

"You tell me, you're the one that has a crush on him. Frankly I don't see it."

 

"I was ten!" Rachel shouted, raising her head to glare at her friend. "I was ten alright! And I'm pretty sure in the BFF rule book it says that you must crush on your best friend's older brother."

 

"Then I was jipped because you don't have one." If possible the grin on Melissa's face grew wider and Rachel braced herself. "You're right. It doesn't have to be Lance. Why you got four viable specimens right here."

 

Rachel groaned allowing her head to fall back, resting on the couch cushion. She stared up at the ceiling wondering what she did in some past life to warrant this.

 

"That's true," Lance broke in, grinning. "You can take your pick."

 

"When we get back to Orlando, I'm moving out of Casa De Bass,' Rachel muttered as she looked around the room at the band mates. Each wore a confused expression not knowing what was going on. She studied them all intently, making JC squirm and Joey make faces at her.

 

"If I show up with Joey or Chris, Grandfather would disown me."

 

"Hey!" The afore mentioned guys shouted. "What's wrong with us?"

 

"Hey!" Melissa grinned. "There you go! Show up with one of them...or better yet both! You'll get disowned and they'll be no auction!"

 

"Auction?" Joey asked, sitting up straighter. He loved buying things he really didn't need. "What's for sale?"

 

"Rachel." Melissa said dissolving into laughter.

 

"I'd buy you but if you have an aversion to penises, you really don't do me any good." Joey said.

 

Rachel buried her head in her hands. The day couldn't possibly get any worse.

 

"You know, that might actually be a good idea." Lance said. "Joey could buy you."

 

"Hey man, I'm not gonna buy her. She has -

 

"I do not have an aversion of penises!" Rachel shouted. Her phone chose that moment to ring and she groaned recognizing the ring tone.

 

Grandfather.

 

"And I thought they day couldn't get any worse," Rachel dug the phone from her pocket as she stood up. "I wonder if you still have to be a virgin to join a convent. I'm gonna look into that," she said as she walked from the room. "Hello Grandfather..."

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

"What just happened here?" JC asked after the door closed behind Rachel. He knew when the guys got back together after a couple off days there was something amiss with the blonde. She was more subdued that usual. She would still joke around with them but he could tell there was something on her mind. He wanted to offer his ear, but there was always something going on and he couldn't find a time to talk to just her.

 

"I'm not sure I know what to think after that conversation," Justin said. "I think you're becoming a bad influence on her, Mel."

 

"Hey! I've been a perfectly good influence on her!' Melissa said, offended. "And how can you say that? We've been friends since kindergarten!"

 

"Yeah, but since you've started seeing Joey, you've gotten a little crazier," Chris pointed out. "Joey's the bad influence."

 

"For crying out loud," Melissa rolled her eyes.

 

"I just wanna know why I'm buying Rachel?" Joey asked.

 

"Rachel got summoned back to NYC by her Grandfather," Melissa explained. "Seems he thinks twenty is the perfect age to start settling down and producing heirs to the company."

 

"So he's selling her?" Justin asked, his eyes widening. "I didn't know they do that shit still."

 

"Is this gonna be like an arranged marriage?"

 

Lance shook his head. "No, he put her in an auction - for charity - but she's still going to be auctioned off to the highest bidder."

 

"For what, like marriage?" Chris asked incredulously. "What kind of back door black market human trafficking thing is this?"

 

"Is this even legal?" Justin asked.

 

"I don't know what the outcome is, what happens once they've been bought," Lance looked at Melissa, who shrugged. "I don't think Rachel's ever said. She can't get passed the fact that she's gonna be auctioned off to begin with."

 

"It probably won't be that bad," Justin shrugged. "So she spends five minutes being stared at, men undressing her with their eyes, bidding some insanely amount of money thinking they have a real chance with her..."

 

"They'll probably be old enough to her father with a horrible comb-over and loose hands."

 

"Oo," Melissa shivered. "That's creepy. How can you wish that on her?"

 

"Ah Mel, I'm just messing," Justin sent her a smile. "I know I wouldn't want to be put up for auction."

 

"Now that sounds like a good way to raise money for charity; auctioning off the members of NSYNC," Melissa grinned imagining the craziness that would surround the event. "We'd have to card the bidders though. Don't want to send one of you fine handsome men on a date with a fourteen year old."

 

The five men looked at Melissa in horror causing her to laugh.

 

"Repeat after me, Bambina," Joey said, taking her hand. "I will not pass on the crazy idea of auctioning any or all members of NSYNC off."

 

"I will not pass on the crazy idea of auctioning any or all members of NSYNC off," Melissa mumbled.

 

"Ever." Justin imputed.

 

"Ever."

 

Heads turned as the door opened and Rachel walked back in, shoulders slumped, phone gripped loosely in a fist. "Somebody hates me. I must have kicked a puppy or something." She slumped down on the couch beside JC and leaned over, resting on the arm, her feet still on the floor.

 

"Now what?' Melissa asked, feeling for her best friend. She couldn't imagine what she was going through; to know you are being pushed into marriage and children. And not even having your parents on your side. She knew this wasn't what Rachel wanted; knew that she didn't want to date, much less marry someone she didn't have a connection with - didn't love. She knew all about Rachel's dreams, as Rachel knew all about hers. They had their weddings planned since they were eight.

 

"William Edward Burkardt the Third, expressed interest in bidding on me," Rachel mumbled. "Grandfather is over the moon. A Burkhardt and Weatherly partnership." She named two big corporations. "I feel like I'm being sold for a business deal. The third. God...he's almost twice my age! Not to mention dorky looking."

 

"Yuck." Melissa said, suddenly in a solemn mood.

 

"And I'm being summoned back to New York tonight," Rachel sighed, squeezing her eyes shut. "I need to be seen, which can't happen when I'm hiding on a tour bus. And there's a big to do tomorrow evening. And guess who just happens to be my date?"

 

"Mr. Dorky Looking?" Melissa guessed and grimaced when Rachel nodded her head. "You want me to come with?"

 

"We can be lesbian lovers," Rachel's voice was muffled by the couch.

 

"That's the spirit!" Melissa chuckled.

 

"Grandfather would have a cow if you showed up," Rachel sat back up. "You're a bad influence."

 

"Not a word," Melissa pointed her finger at each of the guys. "Come on, I'll walk you out."

 

"Bye guys," Rachel gave each of them an attempt at a smile. "Have fun tonight."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story