Chapter 5

 

"Whatever the heck is going on with you, you need to snap out of it," Chris said as he tossed a grape in JC's direction, hitting the man in the cheek.

 

"Yeah, Dawg," Justin said as he tossed a grape in the air, catching it with his mouth. "You are depressing the shit of me."

 

"We can't go on Larry King with you looking like your dog just died. Put a happy face on," Joey reached out with his pointer fingers and pushed at JC's cheeks, causing his mouth to lift in a smile. "See! You can do it, Josh!" He moved his fingers in a motion that made JC smile, then frown, then smile again until JC slapped his hands and arched his head away.

 

"Leave him alone Joey." Lance told his best friend sitting down on the couch, handing over a bottle of water to JC.

 

"Oh look at you two all buddy buddy now," Chris said as he popped a grape into his mouth.

 

"Yeah," Justin tilted his head and cocked an eyebrow at the two men. "Something fishy going on."

 

"Fishy," Joey echoed.

 

"Stop," JC broke in, "There is nothing going on. I'm fine."

 

"You are a bad liar, JC," Justin said. "I'm not sure why you still try to lie to us. We can see through them."

 

"Through them," Joey echoed, causing Justin to glare at him.

 

"Stop it, Asshat," Justin threw a grape at him, hitting him in the forehead.

 

"Game on," Joey glared at Justin before launching himself over the back of the couch. When his feet hit the floor, he did a summersault ending up at the table of food set up for them by the people on Larry King Live. He grabbed a sprig of grapes before rolling back toward the couch and crouching behind it. He popped up, launching a grape at Justin.

 

A war was hatched then between Joey and Justin until grapes littered the floor and there were none left.

 

"You guys are idiots," JC said, rolling his eyes. He looked at the grapes littering the floor and sighed. There was a pretty good chance the people on this show would not be impressed with them once they see this mess.

 

"See, if this was any other time, you'd have launched an offensive attack but you just sat there like a bump on a log."

 

"For the last time, nothing is wrong! I'll be fine when we go on. There is nothing to worry about."

 

"Come on C," Chris's voice broke in. "You know we don't care about the interview. We want to know what's going on with you."

 

"Yeah, Man, we love you!" Joey sank next to JC.

 

"JC's in love with Rachel." Lance answered for JC. He watched the groups faces meld into shock and surprise while JC glared at him. "I told you to tell her."

 

"We haven't exactly been in the same room for me to do that now have we, Lance?"

 

"That's just an excuse."

 

"I believe there was an invention not too long ago. It was really good. You pick up this contraption and press a few buttons and wait. And amazingly there is someone who will pick up on the other end who could be anywhere in the world from you!" Justin said sarcastically.

 

"It's really not something I want to say over the phone."

 

"Well, you're in the same city. Go and tell her!" Joey said exasperated like it was the easiest thing in the world to do.

 

"In case you guys have forgotten, we are kind of busy here. It's not like I can just run off."

 

"Why not?" Chris asked him.

 

"Why not! Because we are going to go live on-the-air soon. We agreed to do this and I can't back out now."

 

"JC," Joey started, becoming serious. "Yes you can. We are all telling you to go and tell her. We can cover the interview without you. Sure you might piss off a few people, but they'll get over it."

 

"Exactly, this is your life." Chris took over and continued. "This is a helluva lot more important than an interview where we've heard and answered the same questions over and over."

 

"JC, man, you have a great opportunity here," Lance looked at him earnestly. "Swoop into the auction and win her."

 

"Heck yeah, Man," Justin said. "I bet she'd love that shit."

 

"Definitely give you major brownie points," Joey said.

 

JC looked at his friends as they all pushed him to do the one thing he wanted to do. "But what if she's already been auctioned off?"

 

"Don't borrow time, man," Chris said. "Just go."

 

JC stood up and almost bounced to the door. "Are you sure you're okay if I just leave?"

 

"GO!" The four men yelled at him.

 

"Gone," he sent them a real smile, one that reached his eyes and walked out the door.

 

"Only program in the world to give you President Carter one night and NSYNC the next," Larry King started as he spoke to the camera at the beginning of his show, Larry King Live. "NSYNC, the hottest musical group in the world... And they are here."

 

Larry turned to look at the group sitting to his left. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there supposed to be five of you?" He glanced down at the papers before him before reading off their names. "Justin Timberlake, Joey Fatone, Lance Bass, Chris Kirkpatrick and JC Chasez. Who is missing?"

 

The guys looked at each other, sharing a smile. Management probably wouldn't be happy with JC blowing off an interview, especially in prime time, but they agreed; it had to be done. Of course they all agreed for the sake of the group because if JC continued to act like he'd been acting, the rest of the guys were liable to harm him.

 

"JC," Justin said, taking lead. "JC had to leave to take care of something."

 

"Securing an investment," Chris said cryptically.

 

"But not to worry," Joey grinned and reached down to the bag that was sitting at his feet. He produced the JC NSYNC doll. In the short time they had, he had been able to manipulate the doll, attaching it to a stand, so he'd be able to stand unattended on the desk. "We have a stand in."

 

"And we'll answer all of his questions," Lance laughed.

 

"I feel there is a much bigger story behind this. I hope I'll be able to find out tonight," Larry laughed and continued on with a more in-dept introduction.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

Rachel didn't know if it was better to go in the beginning or the end of the auction. The beginning because everyone still had their money. The end because the best was last or people realized the end was near and hurried to win. She didn't know. But she wished she was at the beginning so she could get it over and done with.

 

The directors were adamant about not switching numbers. They were assigned certain numbers and they matched up with bios that were listed in programs that the bidders and guests received at the beginning of the evening and the announcer who introduced each of them.

 

She would have gladly traded for the number one slot. But alas the rules hindered that, so she had to settle being toward the back of the line. And the longer she waited the more nervous she became. Her stomach butterflies increased tenfold. She longingly glanced at the red exit signs and wished she could slip out the backdoor.

 

And run.

 

She wondered briefly how far away the studios were from the hotel before shaking it off. She definitely did not want to have to go stand in front of her Grandfather and explain her actions. Plus she'd end up breaking her ankle trying to run in the heels she had on.

 

"You excited? It's almost time."

 

Rachel looked up, seeing her mother had snuck into the back area and made her way to where she stood. She gave her mother the best smile she could. "Ecstatic."

 

Caroline shook her head as she fluffed her daughter's curls, pulling a few to rest on her chest instead of all hanging down Rachel's back. "You never could tell a lie."

 

"That's me, George Washington." Rachel blew out a breath as another woman's name was called and she disappeared out onto the stage.

 

"I'm surprised you didn't try harder to get out of this," Caroline answered truthfully. "I was expecting you to come up with some sort of excuse."

 

That brought a smile to her face as she thought of all the excuses she and Melissa had compiled. "None that Grandfather would ever believe."

 

"Hard to pull a fast one on him," Caroline said knowingly. "Believe me, I've been trying for almost fifty years and have yet to succeed." She smiled at her daughter. "You look beautiful."

 

"Thanks Mother," Rachel smiled her first genuine smile of the night and it settled some of the butterflies in her stomach.

 

"How are Melissa and the guys?"

 

"They're good," the smile stayed on her face, her eyes shining as she thought of them. "They are good."

 

"Which one is it?"

 

"What?"

 

"You think I didn't know? You spend all your time roaming the country on a tour bus with those guys. You didn't think I wouldn't figure out that you liked one of them?" Caroline raised an eyebrow at her daughter.

 

Rachel pursed her lips and dropped her gaze to the floor and sighed. "It doesn't matter. He doesn't feel the same way."

 

"Then he's a fool," Caroline said firmly. She cupped her daughter's chin in her hand, tilting her head so she could meet Rachel's eyes. "You are a beautiful, smart, amazing young woman and any man should thank his lucky stars to warrant your affections. If he doesn't see that, then forget him because there will be someone better who will treat you like you should be treated. Who will give up his everything to see to your happiness."

 

Her mother's speech brought tears to her eyes and she performed every trick she could think of to stop those tears from falling and ruining her make up. If she went out on stage with smeared mascara, tear tracks and a red puffy nose, no one would bid on her.

 

"Stop that," Caroline said when she saw Rachel's tears. She felt her own eyes well and breathed deeply. "You're up next."

 

"How do you stop loving someone?" Rachel asked quietly as she moved to the front, the butterflies her mother had soothed, returning.

 

Caroline fingered one of the blonde curls. "Did he tell you he doesn't feel the same way?" She raised an eyebrow at her daughter's small head shake. "Then why do you have to stop loving him? Sweetie, something made you trust in him enough to give him your heart. Don't you think you should let him know?"

 

Before Rachel could respond to her mother's questions it was her turn. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. With a final look to her mother, she squared her shoulders and held her head up high and walked onto the stage.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story