Joey came back with the guys and spent the following week at the condo without complaint. He spent the bulk of that time in his room, partly to avoid germs, partly to avoid JC. While Lance, Chris and Justin all saw to it that JC wouldn’t give Joey any grief, JC, surprisingly, left Joey alone anyhow. Not a single word was said about Joey’s crisis; in fact, JC didn’t come anywhere near Joey at all. Although Joey appreciated the peace and quiet, JC’s aloofness unnerved him, too. He would almost rather have the man bawling him out.

Throughout the week, Joey ate whatever he could keep down and took his antibiotic exactly as Dr. Delaney prescribed it. The antibiotic worked well enough, but Joey couldn’t stop thinking of his body as a chemical waste establishment.

He also talked to Sheri on his cell every day, and to Tami and Ann whenever possible. Tami spoke with him about as frequently as her sister did; he suspected the poor girl came to him for company, because Ann was almost always with Sheri, and Sheri had to take it nice and easy, too. Lance, Chris and Justin were nice enough to chat with the girls on a regular basis as well, and Chris once assured Ann, “Don’t worry about your phone bill. We’ve got you covered.”

Sheri, as always, never raised any fuss about her predicament, and showed far more concern for Joey’s wellbeing than her own. She even cracked jokes; more than once, Joey honestly could not keep from laughing. Still, his heart was heavy, knowing what was coming. He also knew, despite the other guys’ objections, despite the high risk it presented to him, that he just had to help the girl complete her bucket list. He kept that list on his bedside table, and he studied it over and over until he could recite the whole thing in his sleep.

“Sing in a public place” was the next entry. Joey decided to aim for a place that was smaller, with not quite so many people. To his amazement, Chris—of all people—helped him pin down such a place: a quaint little café with good food, a family-friendly atmosphere, a renowned band, and best of all, there was a hospital just down the street.

“I must be out of my mind,” Chris said, “but if it means that much to you, Joe, then how can I refuse? And if it makes Sheri happy, so much the better.”

Joey smiled. “If I didn’t know better, Christopher, I’d say you’ve gone soft.” 

Chris must have gone red from head to toe then and there, but his only response was, “Guilty as charged.”

As soon as Joey and Sheri were both in a suitable position, they found themselves tucked away in a cozy little booth with Sheri’s family and three quarters of Joey’s company. Looking around, Joey had to admit this was a nice place—simple, but with a touch of class, and with just enough people so that it didn’t feel overcrowded. Their booth faced the stage almost directly, and Sheri knew just the song she wanted to perform that evening. 

“Just you wait until you hear her voice,” Joey informed his mates while they polished off their dinner. “She will blow your socks off.”

“Oh, really?” said Justin with one eyebrow cocked above the other. 

“Yes, really. In fact, I bet you ten bucks that she gets a standing ovation.”

“Only ten bucks?” said Lance in mock indignation. “Oh, come, now, Joey! Be a gentleman and make it twenty.” 

“Make it fifty,” Justin insisted.

“One hundred!” Chris announced, whipping out a fresh hundred-dollar bill on the spot and slapping it in the dead center of their table. 

“I’m so flattered,” said Sheri with a giggle. “Never dreamed the guys of ‘N Sync would want to hear me, let alone lay wagers on me!”

Joey guided her to the stage, and she took a moment to introduce herself to the audience. Though she never said outright that she was dying, anyone could tell just how she fared from the sight of her wheelchair, her blanket, her oversized hat and jacket, and her sickly, sallow complexion. For all that, the girl sat as tall in her wheelchair as she could, and as the band played and she sang her song, Joey knew he was hearing the voice of an angel: 

“And now the end is near,
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I’ll say it clear;
I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain.
I’ve lived a life that’s full,
I traveled each and every highway,
And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

“Regrets, I’ve had a few,
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course,

Each careful step along the byway,
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

“Yes, there were times I’m sure you knew
When I bit off
more than I could chew.
But through it all,
when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all

And I stood tall
And did it my way.

“I’ve loved, I’ve laughed and cried,
I’ve had my fill, my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,

I find it all so amusing.
To think I did all that,
And may I say, not in a shy way,
‘Oh no, oh no, not me,

I did it my way.’

“For what is a man?
What has he got?
If not himself,
Then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels,
The record shows
I took the blows
And did it my way!

“Yes, it was my way!” 

Sure enough, the girl got a standing ovation, and Joey applauded and cheered as enthusiastically as the rest, not even caring about the tears running down his cheeks. Sheri made a little bow in her chair and blew a kiss to the crowd, and when Joey came to lead her off the stage, he took a moment to hug her first—long and hard.

At the booth, both Ann and Tami were positively bawling, and even Joey’s mates had to use several napkins. Sheri readily embraced her mother and sister, who clung to her like they had no intention of letting her go.

When things had quieted down somewhat, Lance raved, “Holy cow, Sheri; that was incredible!”

“Absolutely astounding,” said Chris.

Justin nodded vigorously. “You should have totally gotten a record deal a long time ago.”

Joey said nothing, not having any words, and not trusting himself to speak even if he did.

“I think we know who wins this bet,” Chris said, pushing the hundred dollars in Joey’s direction. “And dessert’s on me, gang!”

At one point, Joey slipped away to use the restroom. Just as he was coming out the door again, he very narrowly avoided a collision with another person.

Whoa! Whoa, excuse me! I didn’t see you—” His apology died on his lips when he looked the other guy fully in the face and saw JC staring back at him.

 


 

Chapter End Notes:

Here we are with another chapter, and just in time for the 14th anniversary of Celebrity. Seems like only yesterday we were all about the "Jumbo Pop."

Those were the good old days...

Lyrics © Paul Anka



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: hospital cancer friendship brothers drama tearjerker realism death dying joey