It wasn’t until after they took Sheri and her family home that Joey shared JC’s story with the others. He told the story just after Chris pulled into the big parking lot, and all three guys listened in stunned silence. More than one tear was wiped away, and when Joey was finished, Lance could barely whisper, “Oh, wow. That’s one of the saddest stories I ever heard.”

That sure explains a lot,” said Justin huskily. “Now everything about JC and how he’s been these days makes perfect sense.” 

“I had no idea,” said Chris, ducking his head in shame. “Oh, man…do I owe JC a big-time apology.”

“So do I,” said Lance.

Joey told them softly, “Just be nice to him when you see him, okay?”

When they reached their condo, they found JC sitting alone in the living room. The TV was on, but he shut it off the moment he saw them and got to his feet. He regarded the four guys warily, almost fearfully, like he expected them to pounce on him all at once.

“Hi, JC,” said Lance, trying to sound as friendly as possible while keeping it natural.

“Hi.” JC’s voice was almost inaudible.

“You still up?” Chris asked benevolently. “Aren’t you tired?”

JC blinked, then replied slowly, “Dead tired. But I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight.”

“I know the feeling,” said Justin with a small smile. “It’s like every part of your body is made of solid lead, but your brain refuses to cooperate.”

Chris and Lance both chuckled at that, and Joey had to smile somewhat as he said, “I can attest to that.”

JC kept his emotion-filled gaze on Joey, who knew what he was thinking and what he was trying to say.

“Joey…”

Before anyone could react, Joey had crossed the room and engulfed JC in a hug. There were no words; Joey simply clung to JC like he wasn’t in a hurry to let him go. JC’s whole frame was ramrod-straight at first, and then went totally slack. Slowly, his own arms found their way around Joey and folded him in as well.

One by one, the others joined them, until all five men were tangled in one big group hug. They stayed like that for a good five minutes or so, and when they did release each other and step back, Chris suggested to JC, “What do you say to a round of hot chocolate?”

Lance added, “And there are still some peanut butter cookies leftover from yesterday’s batch.”

“All right,” JC agreed.

“If the rest of you don’t mind,” said Joey, stretching his arms, “I think I’ll go ahead and hit the hay now.”

“You okay?” Justin asked.

“Just wiped. Actually, I feel kind of bad for all those times I made fun of JC’s hobby of sleeping. You can bet I have a whole new appreciation for that hobby now.”

This made everyone laugh a little, and Chris said, “All right, suit yourself. Lance and I will join you later.”

“Goodnight, Joey,” said Lance.

“Night.”

Joey slept like a rock as soon as his head hit his pillow, and when he woke in the morning, neither Chris nor Lance were in bed. Judging from their smooth coverlets and impeccably arranged pillows, it was impossible to tell whether they had been to bed at all. After a quick shower and change of clothes, Joey trooped into the kitchen to discover all four guys at the table, eating and talking and appearing amazingly chipper. Everyone turned their heads at Joey’s approach, and JC said brightly, “Hey, Joey, just in time for breakfast!”

“Saved you a seat,” said Chris, pulling out a chair.

“Saved you some coffee, too,” said Justin, pointing over his shoulder at the coffeepot.

“And you get your choice of cereals,” said Lance with a grand gesture toward three different boxes.

As Joey joined them, he inquired, “What are you four up to?”

“What makes you think we’re up to something?” Chris asked, appearing every bit the picture of innocence.

“Something’s up with you. I know it.”

Chris looked to the others. “Should we tell him, men?”

“Tell me what?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” said JC, pinching his chin. “I don’t trust that big mouth of his.”

By now, curiosity was eating Joey alive. “What?” he demanded. “Come on, guys, don’t leave me in suspense!”

“You sure you want to know?” said Justin with one eyebrow in a lofty arch.

Joey scowled. “Dang it, Justin! If you don’t tell me right now, I’m gonna burst all over the place, and all of you will be responsible for cleaning up the mess.”

Chris laughed and held up his hands in mock surrender. “Okay, okay! We’ll talk, partly because we don’t want to have to face such an awful mess, and partly because we need your help anyhow.”

“Need my help with what?”

“Come to think of it,” said Lance, “we’ll also need Tami’s help for this, and her mom’s, too.”

“This has to do with Sheri, doesn’t it?” Joey said it more as a statement than anything else.

“Man, we can never fool you,” said Justin with a light punch to Joey’s shoulder.

JC cleared his throat and took on a more businesslike air. “Here’s the thing, Joey. The guys and I had a little private discussion last night—”

“Talked well into the night,” Chris cut in.

“—and we’ve come up with a brilliant plan. Something that will not only make Sheri happy but also make up for the way we’d treated her at the beginning.”

“What’s the plan?”

When they told him, Joey’s jaw all but hit the table, his heart filled to overflowing, and the only sensible words he could give voice to were, “Guys, I love you!”

 


 

Chapter End Notes:
Almost there, mates. Only four or five chapters to go. 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: hospital cancer friendship brothers drama tearjerker realism death dying joey