She begins hyperventilating and I have no idea what to do. "Niiiiick!" I scream, frightened.

 

He barrels in to the kitchen, pulling her from me and lifts her arms while talking her down from it. "Kai, breathe. Things will be different, but we're all still here for each other and we won't leave you alone ever. Promise. Right, JC?"

 

"Of course, promise. Why would I walk away from you when you need me the most? That doesn't make any sense."

 

Deven walks in the room, sees her having a panic attack and lays into me. "Really? You had to get her all riled up again?"

 

"Deven, fuck off," Nick bites, "She and I just found out about Clary's fatal accident." Deven must feel like an ass now, jumping to conclusions without any facts just because she barely walked into the door and walking in on the scene in front of her. She rushes outside, making sure she slams the door, speeding away from here.

 

"Leilani, call Deven," Nick orders Mikkaila's daughter, more focused on calming not only Mikkaila. He looks at her. "You good?"

 

She sniffles, nodding to confirm she's going to be okay. "Come here, Mikkaila," I softly request, brushing her side and she buries her face in my chest and Nick tends to the pot on the stove.

 

 

Nick and I spent the past hour calming her down, Kenneth eyeing me. "Can everyone stop thinking he did something wrong when it wasn't his fault?" Nick demands, Kenneth's hands going up to silently say sorry.

 

His band mates look at him and the three of us. "We'll find out when Nick tells us in a bit. All I know it's not something Josh did," he tells them, walking through the archway to the patio.

 

I realize she's stopped crying, Nick signaling that I need to be quiet. He pulls her from me, very slowly, and I get up so he can lay her down on the couch. He motions like he's pushing me out the door, pointing in the direction Kenneth and the band are. He places a blanket on top of her sleeping body, moving in the general direction I'm in. "Go outside; we have to talk to Ken and the guys," he whispers. "Go, go, go."

 

We get outside and the five band members look at the two of us. "Kaila asleep?" Ryan greets us.

 

Nick and I nod. "Yeah. The whole reason why she was upset is Claryssia died in a tragic accident and she lost it when he told her because only Liv, him, and her family knew."

 

"Isn't that Liv's mom?" Chris asks.

 

"Her mom is my cousin on my mom's side, so it would've made sense that I knew the day they all found out, but that would be something nice which that doesn't happen on that side of the family."

 

"Talk about low blows." Kenneth hit that nail right on the head.

 

"How'd you know before her?"

 

"When we got back and everything set up for Mikkaila, Liv pulled me aside to tell me. I thought of Mikkaila first, telling her right off the bat," I admit.

 

"By tech-" Ryan begins, Nick cutting him off.

 

"No, it means he's worried about her and wanted to take on the responsibility of letting her know what happened because he's better to her than I had been." He swallows. "If you want to blame anyone, you should blame me for not finding out sooner."

 

"Don't I feel like an ass," Kenneth comments, hanging his head. "Sorry, man. Truce?" he offers, reaching his right hand out to shake on it.

 

"Yeah, truce," I agree, our hands locking together and quickly shaking on it. "I know that I'm new to this circle and it'll take some time before we iron everything out to make clear understandings."

 

We begin laughing and joking, Olyvia coming out to give us hot chocolate and stand out there with us. Kenneth looks at her, my face becoming serious. "Josh, can I talk with you alone?" he asks, nodding toward the yard.

 

"Sure," I agree, following him to the far end of the yard. He's in his thirties and Liv's just getting into her twenties. Always consider that I just found out that she's most likely my daughter and I barely know Kenneth and his band mates.

 

"I know you're probably going to tell me to go fuck myself, but I was wondering if I could possibly take Via out for dinner tonight?"

 

"Just dinner?" I demand, crossing my arms like a protective father would do.

 

"Maybe a movie, if you allow it," he adds, shrugging. I begin to open my mouth to answer him, his hands going up between us and shut up. "Look, I've already talked to your daughter and I like her, but I don't want to make a move unless you give your blessing first. I wouldn't dream of rushing into anything. I know you're protective of her and you have all the right intentions and I know that it was Clary that walked out, taking your daughter from you. You're trying to make up for lost time, I understand. If you were going to tell me to wait, I'll respect that and just get to know her better."

 

I smile. Maybe he's a good person. "All I ask is that you respect her and treat her how you'd like another guy to treat her if she were your daughter."

 

He pulls his head back a few inches. "Is that a no?"

 

I shake my head. "It's a yes and from what Mikkaila tells me, you're a better gentleman than Justin and that you're more like Lance. I'd rather my daughter date someone with Lance's personality and mannerisms, also his upbringing."

 

"She's got a big mouth; Mikkaila."

 

I nod. "When it comes to being a parent, she's just looking out for Liv and I. She told me what you're like and that you have a crush on my daughter. You also need to keep in mind that I had no clue about Liv for 22 years."

 

He nods. "I know; Liv told me."

 

"Mikkaila is just trying to keep everyone neutral. I've known for a few days. Just take it slow with my little girl."

 

He holds his hand up like he's being sworn into court, his other hand over his heart. "I promise you that I'll be respectful and a true southern gentleman, through and through."

 

"It's all I ask."

 

"Thanks. We should get back to the gathering before they come over thinking I'm being a threatening asshole to you," I comment, dropping an arm over his shoulders and leading him back to the patio. "Kiss her cheek to let her know I approved of you two going out."

 

"Alright, I will."

 

"PG and respectful, take it slow."

 

"Like I'd expect some little punk to do if I have a little girl."

 

"Keep that in mind, no matter how ridiculous it may seem."

 

He laughs a little, my hand clapping him on the shoulder opposite of me. "I will."

 

"Go kiss her cheek," I tell him, nearing the middle of the yard and he smiles at me before racing off to do as I said.

 

I get to the top step, seeing his hands on her waist with their foreheads pressed together and her arms around his neck. He kisses the tip of her nose, his lips move to her cheek and kisses her there. "What did my dad say?"

 

"He said as long as I respect you and treat you like a true southern gentleman should, we can be together."

 

She glances at me and I nod once to confirm that's the agreement. She smiles at me, thanking me for the permission. "He's always had his heart in the right place," she tells Kenneth.

 

"That's what I've heard," he says, hugging her. He looks at me over her shoulder during their embrace. 'Thanks for letting me be with V,' he mouths, an appreciative grin on his face.

 

I wave at it, signaling that it's no problem. I feel Nick standing beside me as I shove my hands into my pockets. "It takes a huge leap of faith to allow that."

 

"Or just a good dad," I agree, adding my thought on it.

 

"You do know that they have 12 years between them, right?"

 

"I know."

 

"Kai told you."

 

"Yes."

 

"Why allow it?"

 

"It's either I allow it and tell him what I expect or they go behind my back and do it. I'd rather know who to castrate if my little girl ends up pregnant. Or marries. He had a great deal of respect for her and I to come to ask for my permission before dating her."

 

"True. It takes some balls to even ask the father for his blessing on any part of the relationship."

 

"Like you would know," I say, laughing after.

 

"And you would?"

 

"Yes, I would. I asked for your uncle's permission to date her and for his blessing if I could have her hand in marriage, but then she ran off the day before I planned on asking her. She broke up with me and left, so I never had the chance to ask. I haven't been the same since. Every relationship progresses so slowly that most women in the entertainment business end it before it can get past the dating and fucking me."

 

"Uhm, wow."

 

"Now, it's my turn to see how much I can trust him."


Completed
Kaotyk is the author of 47 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story