Only Time Will Tell | by BrandyRae
Chapter 5 

Saturday morning Samantha’s alarm went off bright and early. Eight thirty to be exact. Giving her plenty of time to be ready by nine thirty when her and Terra had planned to leave for Universal Studios. Groggily she rolled out of bed and headed downstairs to the kitchen for a bowl of cereal.

The night before had been a little rough. As much as she tried to hide it, she was still hurting a great deal over her mother’s death. Late at night, when she was all alone, it seemed the worst. During the day it was easy for life to let her forget, but at night there was nothing, only her thoughts and those were what hurt her the most.

It had been the last thing in her life she’d ever expected. Her world had been completely turned upside down and now her entire life was changed forever. She’d do anything to have it back. Anything.

Stumbling down the curved staircase in her PJ’s and slippers, she realized that the house seemed eerily quiet. Terra and Amanda were both early risers and for Terra not to be up moving around was a little strange. She hoped it was because she was up in her room getting ready for their day. Sam had to admit she was a little excited about it.

Passing the TV room as she headed to the kitchen for that much-needed bowl of cereal, Sam noticed two socked feet hanging over the edge of one sofa. Curious, she took a detour and stepped inside the casual living room.

Instantly she spotted the collection of beer bottles on the coffee table. Taking a step closer, she realized, apparently, someone had consumed a little too much to drink the night before. Actually, make that two someone’s – Chris AND Terra.

Samantha stood there half confused and half irritated, with her nose scrunched and her brow furrowed as she studied the sorry site. How the heck were they going to make it to Universal on time now? Loudly she let out a big huff, hoping it would disturb one of them.

But it didn’t.

Terra, sleeping on the larger sofa – ironically enough since she was the smaller of the two, had her head buried under one of the many beige colored sofa pillows, her arm on top of that and not letting anything through. No light, no sound, no anything.

Chris, on the other hand, was sprawled out on the love seat with his feet dangling over the arm and laying flat on his back. His hair looked like a rat’s nest and one of his hands rested right smack on top of his face. It truly was a sight to see. Sam almost wished she’d had a digital camera at that moment because surely she could make some money off a picture like that on the Internet.

Of course, Amanda would kill Samantha for doing such a thing, but what her sister didn’t know wouldn’t hurt.

She stood still for a minute, trying to think of the best way to wake them. What would make them both want to kill her right then and there? Surely they’d both be hung over. They’d obviously had too much to drink or else Chris would have gone home and Terra would have slept in her bed.

Boy, she could only imagine what Amanda would think of all this.

And then it hit her!

Showing Amanda a picture would be better than posting it on the Internet! She’d be thoroughly irritated at her cousin’s behavior in HER house when she was supposedly keeping any eye on HER little sister.

Ha! With a sudden burst of energy Sam skipped out of the room and headed back upstairs for the Polaroid camera Amanda kept in her office. Surely she wouldn’t mind if she took just one picture. Sneaking back downstairs, camera in hand as she tip-toed into the TV room, Sam took stance in front of the both of them, aimed the camera and snapped.

Of course, the Polaroid was just a little bit noisier than she’d expected. As she pulled the square photo paper from the front of the camera, Chris let out a rather loud groan and, at the same time, the pillow that had been covering Terra’s face was suddenly tossed to the ground.

They were both awake.

Her eyes wide, Sam ran out of the room and straight up the stairs before they both realized what she’d done and tried to kill her!

“Um, Terr?” Chris yawned, “why am I here?… and why did your little cousin just take off like we were going to attack her or something?”

Slowly Terra sat up, rubbing her eyes and gradually focusing in on the numerous green beer bottles in front of her. “Did we drink all of that?” she asked with surprise.

“I think so. Well, I think you drank most of it.”

Terra shook her head and blinked her eyes, hoping the amount of empty alcohol containers would shrink. “Shit, I’ve gotta get in the shower,” she realized instead.

“Wait? What about Sam?” Chris asked.

“What about her?”

“Don’t you think that was a little weird? Her running off like that?”

“She was probably just embarrassed to find you on the sofa. Or wait,” Terra chuckled, “she probably just didn’t want YOU to be embarrassed once you realized someone actually witnessed THAT hair.”

Nervously Chris raised a hand to the top of his head. “Is it that bad?” he asked, trying to comb through it with his fingers.

“YES.”

Disgruntled, he shook his head and stood from the couch. “Do you remember what happened last night?” he asked curiously.

“What do you mean?” Terra asked, trying to grasp as many bottles as possible so she could take them to the garbage in the kitchen.

“I mean, drinking, passing out, all of that. Me sleeping on your couch?”

“I remember listening to – wait, what were we listening to? The Beatles? Oh, and drinking – A LOT,” she explained as he helped her clean up Amanda’s glass-topped coffee table.

“Aren’t you guys supposed to be going to Universal Studios or something?” he asked, following her into the kitchen.

“Yes, that’s why I need to get in the shower,” Terra answered, “but first, I need aspirin because my head is pounding.”

Chris smirked softly as Terra dropped the items from her hands into the garbage. “Rookie,” he teased.

“Am not,” she argued.

“My head doesn’t hurt.”

“Because you drink too much,” Terra accused. “You’ve built up a tolerance.”

“No, I just know how to handle my alcohol. That’s all,” Chris countered.

“Whatever Kirkpatrick,” she sighed with a roll of her light colored eyes, as she had absolutely no desire or energy to argue with him at the moment.

“Alright, well I’m outta here,” he informed her after tossing his share of bottles into the trash.

“Bye,” she replied. He flashed her a wave and was out the door.

What exactly had happened last night? And why did Terra have this strange feeling that she had talked a little more than she would’ve liked? Hopefully, if she had, he’d been too drunk to remember. If not, well… she was sure he’d let her know sooner or later. She wasn’t looking too forward to that day.


“IF YOU'RE GONNA call you better do it now, because once we leave this room I’m not letting you think of anything except for me and you,” JC told Amanda as he waited for her to finish getting ready for their "date."

Ever since Amanda had settled into Orlando it had been too easy to stay in and be home bodies. This weekend he was treating every second like it might be there last. He wanted it to be there best time together yet. So far, his expectations hadn’t been failed.

“I know, I know. I’m gonna call right now,” Amanda assured him. “I know I shouldn’t even worry about it but I just want to make sure everything’s okay since we never gave them a number of where we’d be.”

“Yeah,” he smirked, “I kind of did that on purpose.”

”I know, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t start apologizing to me Amanda Marie. You know I hate it when you do that.”

His words made her pause as she grasped on to her cell phone tightly, almost dialing the numbers. She loved it when he used her middle name. Unlike Terra, his use of it was unmistakably playful. Combined with that smug look he was shooting at her, the use of it was almost deadly.

Girlishly she smiled, “two minutes,” she assured him.

“I’m timing you,” he replied with a wink before looking down at his watch.

Quickly she dialed Terra’s cell number so she could get the call out of the way and continue with their time alone.

Ten minutes later they were safely on their way to the car, and where ever else it was JC planned on taking them because Amanda had no clue. “Jace,” she called him sweetly, “where are we going?”

“Ha,” he replied swiftly, “wouldn’t you like to know?”

“Yes, that’s why I asked.”

Stepping through the lobby of their hotel, she looped her arm through his and stood closely by his side. “Don’t worry, sweetheart. I promise you’ll like it,” he assured her.

“As long as I’m with you I’ll like it,” Amanda smiled.

“I know,” he remarked with a cocky grin, glancing at her as she walked in step right beside him, teasing her just the way she like it. It was that confidence that attracted her so strongly to him. That confidence he carried with him ever since they met. He may have only been playing with her, but either way she loved it.

Of course, she pretended to be immune, rolling her eyes at his arrogance.

In true gentleman fashion, he led her through the exit of the grand hotel, opening the door and closing it behind her. The same went as she climbed into the car, her car, in which he was driving. She paid close attention as he trotted around the front and hopped in the driver’s side.

Instead of turning the key in the ignition, JC stopped, turned towards her and smiled charmingly. “Have I told you how nice you look?” he asked, leaning one elbow into the center console as his body seemed to move in just a smidgen closer.

“Not yet,” she informed, glancing down at her tan colored skirt and the earth tone-patterned, low cut blouse she was wearing. Amanda knew what he was really telling her. He was saying you’re showing skin and I like it. Each time they went out she seemed to show more and more flesh. He was either stripping away that conservative side or making her feel very self-confident. Or maybe it was a little bit of both, she wasn’t quite sure.

JC leaned in even closer, his eyesight blatantly staring down the valley of her cleavage. Amanda could only smirk at his obvious approval of her bosom. Slowly his vision rolled up her chest and neck until finally meeting her eye to eye. “You look really hot,” he said with a devilish grin.

“Thanks.”

“Who would ever know you’re the same girl I met almost five months ago in those stuffy business suits.”

“It was all part of the job,” she reminded.

“Yes, it was,” he agreed.

“Should we go now?” Amanda asked him.

“Um,” he sounded, reaching one arm behind her seat and pulling out a silky black scarf, “first I have to put this on you.”

“What do you mean put that on me?” Amanda asked, not quite understanding what he implying.

“Meaning, I’m blindfolding you, Ms. Ballard,” he said smugly.

“Why?” She asked as he lifted the soft material to her face, letting it brush against the tip of her nose and then hover just in front of her eyes.

“Because where I’m taking you is a surprise,” he explained, dropping the blindfold just enough to let her look him in the eye. He grinned something sexy, his blue eyes captivating her with each second they held her attention.

“A surprise?”

”That’s what I said.” With tenderness he brought the covering to her eyes and carefully tied it.

“Don’t mess up my hair,” she told him.

He ignored her request, asking instead, “is it too tight?”

“No, it’s fine.”

“Okay, good.”

And with that her sight was completely gone, but she could feel the warmth of him close by. She was positive he was still watching her, leaning in to look at her. “This is kinda weird,” she remarked.

He chuckled softly. “Can you see anything?” he asked.

“Not a thing.”

“Not even this?” he asked, but Amanda was clueless because she hadn’t been lying when she’d said she couldn’t see.

“Nope.”

“You wouldn’t lie to me?”

"Never.”

“Good.”

She felt his breath first, before his lips brushed against hers. And for some reason, they seemed even softer and more sensual than they normally did. In fact, the seductive dance of his mouth with hers, his tongue skimming across her lips, was making her unusually warm all of the sudden. This blindfold idea could prove to be extremely erotic.

“Maybe we should just go back up to the room,” she suggested breathily as he broke away.

“Nope,” he smirked, “that would be way too easy.”

“You’re evil.”

“I know,” he agreed, finally starting the car, leaving Amanda utterly hot from head to toe. At this rate, getting through dinner was going to be rather difficult. The scarf over her eyes wouldn’t allow her to witness the grin of satisfaction on his ever-so handsome face, but Amanda was positive it was there.

Amanda fidgeted in her seat as JC guided the car to their unknown destination. She always seemed to get fidgety when she wasn’t quite sure what was going on. This time was no exception. With a slight tickle in her nose, she reached up to slide her finger just underneath the bottom edge of the blindfold.

“Hey. No peeking.” JC warned.

“I’m not. My nose itches,” Amanda griped.

“This is torture for you, isn’t it?” he asked.

“Yes, how did you guess?”

A soft laugh escaped his voice as he chose not to answer. It was obvious he loved torturing her.

“Are we almost there?” she asked after a minute.

“Almost,” he answered casually.

“Will I get to take the blindfold off before we get out of the car?” Amanda asked curiously. She didn’t know where it was they would wind up but she could only imagine the looks she was bound to get walking around with a silk scarf covering her eyes. Oh well, at least she wouldn’t be able to see people gawking since with the blindfold she couldn’t see a damn thing anyway.

“Nope.”

Amanda huffed frustratingly and let her body slouch a little in her seat. “Don’t be upset, sweetheart.” His voice lifted her, as it always did. She could never be upset with him. Maybe a little irritated, but never upset. Besides, she did like the game he was playing, she just didn’t want him to know it.

“Are we stopping?” she asked.

“Just at a light,” he answered.

“Oh.”

Amanda sat quiet, wishing she could just have one glimpse of him. That was the only bad part of the whole blindfold idea. She couldn’t look at him. And oh how she loved to do that. She closed her eyes tight and envisioned the sexy black slacks he’d been wearing and how they made his backside look just right.

A giggle seeped from her mouth and she knew instantly he was going to ask why. But until he did, she decided to keep on with that attractive visual in her head.

As she sat there for those few brief seconds, her legs crossed tightly and her hands folded neatly in her lap, she felt his presence near. Her breath stopped short as the warm touch of his mouth touched just at the top of her cleavage. In less than a second her pulse quickened and her body became flushed with desire. All of this unexpected attention was making her head spin.

“Joshua,” she called him, surprise filling her voice, “don’t you think you should pay attention to the road?”

He chuckled, the cool air hitting her skin as the warmth of his lips left. “We’re not on the road anymore,” he informed her.

“I thought you said we were at a stoplight?” Amanda was thoroughly confused. JC was messing with her in every way possible.

“I did, but we’re not. We’re here.”

“Oh.”

“Just stay there. I’ll come around,” he told her.

Amanda sat there patiently as she heard him open his door, get out, shut the door and then imagined he was on his way around to her side. A few seconds later the passenger door opened and she felt his body leaning over her. Her seatbelt unlocked and the back of his hand brushed against her breast as he slid the shoulder harness from her chest.

One more touch to send her senses into overload. At this point, she wanted him so badly her entire body ached.

She reached for her purse on the floorboard and took his hand, letting him help her out of the car. As soon as he shut her door and the sound of the alarm chirped, she intertwined her arm in his and took in a deep sigh. “So, where are we?”

“You’ll see in a minute.”

There were voices around them, but nothing too particularly loud. It didn’t seem like they were in a restaurant, but they were obviously somewhere public. After walking several feet, they stopped and Amanda heard what sounded like the ding of an elevator.

“Where are we?” she asked again.

JC didn’t answer her. Instead he let out a cheerful, “hi,” obviously to someone other than herself. “It’s her birthday,” he said and bumped her leg discreetly with his knee. She could only guess that meant to play along, but she wasn’t really up for making a big scene about her pretend birthday surprise.

A couple seconds later, he was leading them into what Amanda imagined was an elevator. “Can I take it off now?” she asked.

“No.” JC leaned in, the warmth of his body consuming the air around her, and placed one sweet kiss on her cheek before draping an arm over her shoulders.

The elevator stopped, that much she could tell, but he didn’t budge her to move. “This isn’t our stop,” he whispered softly into her ear.

“Oh.”

The rolling sound of the doors alerted her they had shut and the elevator floor once again began to move. “We’re alone,” JC breathed into her ear.

“Good,” Amanda remarked, “why is it my birthday all of a sudden?”

He chuckled and kissed her cheek once more. “Because there was an elderly couple looking at us funny. Actually they were looking at me funny. I think they thought I was kidnapping you.”

“Well, you kinda are,” Amanda grinned.

“I guess you could look at it like that.”

“But not in an illegal sort of way,” she added.

“Well, yeah. Because I have your permission to kidnap you.”

“Yes,” she agreed.

The rumble of the doors sounded once more and this time Amanda knew it had to be their stop. She was also figuring from their long ride that they must have been pretty high up. She had absolutely no clue where they were.

“Okay, this way,” JC said, guiding her forward.

“Are we in another hotel?” Amanda asked, still trying her best to guess.

“This is not Twenty Questions. This is my surprise and you will find out when I say so.” JC laid down the law.

“Yes, sir.”

“That’s more like it,” he smirked.

Amanda walked beside him, tiny sprays of light trying to seep through the dark blindfold, but still not able to see a thing. Finally, she felt his muscles contract as he moved to open a door. “We’re here,” he said, guiding her through, “but you can’t look just yet.”

“You’re killing me,” Amanda whined.

“I know, and it’s been worth every second. Trust me.”

Immediately Amanda smelled something utterly delicious. Her senses peaked as she took in a big whiff, her mouth watering on command. “Mmmm…”

“Hungry?” he asked.

“I am now.”

“Smells good, huh?”

“Yes.”

“Bet you wanna know what it is?” he teased.

“Yes.”

With those words, their walk came to a halt. His arm fell from her grasp and she stood feeling somewhat alone. But the feeling only lasted a second, because that was all the time it took for his strong arms to engulf her slender frame and his tender lips to seek out hers in a passionate kiss. Almost unknowingly her body sank into his, the thought of their game lost to the heat of the moment.

The pad of his thumb brushed over her cheek and teased the flesh just below her blindfold. “I love you,” he whispered softly and the taste of his sweet lips graced themselves against hers once more. “I have something I want you to hear.”

“Okay,” Amanda agreed quietly, not wanting to ruin the tenderness of the moment.

Sliding his hand into hers, he spoke softly, “sit down here,” he said, as he moved her a few steps forward and then guided her onto the chair… or rather bench, piano bench that is. Instantly she recognized the hard feel of it. Her foot instinctively searched for the pedals.

His hands brushed over her shoulders and then disappeared, only to let his body take seat beside her barely moments later. “I take it you have an idea of what this is?” he asked.

“Yes, I do.”

“Well, in a minute I’ll uncover your eyes.”

“You’re not going to make me play blindfolded are you?” she asked.

“Can’t you?”

“Probably.”

A soft laugh fell from his lips. “Well, lucky for you, I’m not going to hold you to it. Tonight, I’ll be the one playing, not you,” he paused briefly, “but I need you to scoot over just a little.” His hand touched her hip and she shifted herself away from him.

“Is that okay?” she asked.

“Perfect,” he answered and notably took in a deep breath. The bench gave as he adjusted his position slightly. If she hadn’t known better, she might have thought he was just a hair nervous. “Sweetheart,” he spoke warmly, “because... I love you.”

And with that he began to play.

And with the first note Amanda understood.

And she was so incredibly touched that she immediately felt the sting of tears.

And she wasn’t even going to try and stop them.

Instead she closed her eyes, and let one of the possibly most beautiful songs she had ever known encompass her in a completely new way, giving in completely to the whirlwind of emotion that filled her heart.

It was a song that touched her in so many ways he could have never imagined how much it would mean to her. Not only was it the song that ultimately led him to her, it was the song that she had shared a love and a passion for, with her mother. Together, it had been the one song they had loved more than any other.

Tears trickled down her cheeks, moisture gently clinging to the scarf around her eyes. She didn’t care. She was moved in a way unimaginable to her up until that very moment.

And then he began to sing.

His beautiful, perfectly-tuned soulful voice carried over the notes of the piano and touched beyond the meaning of the song. From now on, it would mean to her something completely different.

Oh so long for this night I prayed

That a star would guide you my way

To share with me this special day

Where a ribbon's in the sky for our love


If allowed may I touch your hand

And if pleased may I once again

So that you too will understand

There's a ribbon in the sky for our love


Do...Do...

Do Do Do Do Do...

HMM HMM...


This is not a coincidence

And far more than a lucky chance

But what is that was always meant

Is our ribbon in the sky for our love, love


We can't lose with God on our side

We'll find strength in each tear we cry

From now on it will be you and I

And our ribbon in the sky

Ribbon in the sky

A ribbon in the sky for our love


Do...Do...

Do Do Do Do Do...

HMM HMM...


There's a ribbon in the sky for our love


His fingers left the keys and silence filled the room, all except for Amanda’s sniffle. She couldn’t help it. There was no way she could have held it in. “JC,” she gasped, robustly wiping tears from her cheeks. “That was the most – That was just – You don’t even understand – “ Amanda was so touched she couldn’t even find her words.

“Shhh…” Gently he slid the cover from her eyes and kissed her lips, brushing his hands over her cheeks and drying her tears at the same time. “You weren’t supposed to cry,” he told her, pulling her into a loving embrace. “I know I don’t play it as good as you, but I didn’t think it was so bad I would make you cry.”

Through her tears, she laughed, her chin resting on his shoulder as he held her so contently. “It was beautiful,” she finally managed to say.

“You’re just saying that to make me feel better,” he spoke softly.

“No, I’m not,” Amanda defended, leaning back and looking into his eyes. “No one has ever done anything for me so special. No one.”

He looked at her with a wealth of knowledge in those gorgeous blue eyes, a gentle smile easing across his lips.

He knew.

And he didn’t even have to tell her that he knew, because she knew it, too.


Lyrics: Stevie Wonder, "Ribbon In The Sky" (If you've never listened to it - you should)

© BrandyRae 2002

Incomplete
BrandyRae is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Only Time Will Tell... Sequel to Falling also liked 7 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story