Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry took so long, this is like a short chapter before we get to good stuff! which I should be posted by Friday. I have been working on the story since the last chapter, trying scene in bits in pieces now I have to pull it together :) 

 

Justin jogged down the stairs of his house with a towel draped over his wet head. The doorbell echoed through the house jogging lightly through the house he reached the door, unlocking it and pulled the heavy wooden door opened.

Rachel stood in the door way with her arms folded against her chest,” Why didn’t you use your key?”

Rachel shrugged her shoulders walking through the thrush hold as Justin stepped back giving her room,” I didn’t know I was allowed to with me just being your assistant and all. I don’t want to invade your personal space.”

Justin sighed heavily pushing and locking the door behind him before following her into the living room. She threw down her purse in a nearby chair and flopped down on the couch, still with folded arms,” Come on you can’t tell me you are mad at me for how many days ago.”

“A week to be exact.” She scoffed.

Justin sat down on the coffee table in front of her nudging her crossed legs,” Come on Rach, I’m sorry for hanging up on you that was extreme, but you have to admit that you were a bit too nosy even for you.”

She rolled her eyes, staring at him sternly, “Justin, I was and still am concerned about your sudden interest in Melanie.”

“Why does it have to be more to it than what I’m saying? I just wanted to get to know her because every time we are in a group setting, she seems a bit uncomfortable, so I thought being the nice guy that I am I would get to know her privately, since she will be spending most of her time with me.” Justin explained, but the look on Rachel face showed that she was buying what he was trying to sell her, but he didn’t even know the true answer to the question his self.

She sat up straight and leaned forward her elbows resting against the tops of her thighs,” I know you better than that; you know that I know you better than that Justin. It’s more to it than you are willing to admit or you simply don’t know yourself.”

Justin groaned inwardly and sighed,” Look I asked you to come here because I wanted to apologize for hanging up on you, it was rude and I am sorry.”

She raised her eyebrow, staring at him before throwing her hands up in defeat and stood up onto her feet making her way around the couch towards the kitchen ,” It’s fine. We are good. On another note, how is Jessica doing? I haven’t talk to her since the Holidays.”

Justin shrugged grabbing his towel and running it through his hair and down his bare chest,” She doing well, she said she was going to stop by and say hey to everyone while we were in New York.”

“Oh Good! It will be great to see her again, have I ever told you how much I love Jessica? Such a sweet woman, she is.” Rachel spoke as she opened up the fridge grabbing bottle water and a container of strawberries.

“Yeah she is.”

Rachel cracked open the top,” So, are you guys officially dating yet?”

Justin rubbed the back of his,” No, we are just trying to figure things out, making sure we are on the same page before we do anything.”

“I don’t know why, she is perfect for you she really just like your equal. She had that girl next door type of personality. Your Mom is absolutely in love with her.” Rachel continued on as she gave her personal approval of Jessica.

Justin tilted his head down as he chuckled lightly as Rachel added,” And I’m sure her and Melanie would hit it off.”

He knew what she was doing and he had to admit it was funny and if he didn’t know his cousin he would also think she was being completely childish. She giving all the reasons why Jessica and him should make things official valid points and he would have given his full attention if it hadn’t been her throwing Melanie’s name in it. He got it, but it only made him think about her.

He hadn’t seen much of her in the last couple of days, since he spent most of his days locked up in the studio and she was running around with Rachel and his team getting ready for the trip to NY. Whenever he did see her in passing he made an effort to speak to her or shoot her a quick text to see how she was doing.

As the days went by especially after the Valley trip, she relaxed a bit more, but she still had moments where she seemed frazzled.

“Hello? EARTH TO JUSTIN.”

He snapped his head and frowned,” Huh?”

Rachel rolled her eyes dropping a hand from her hip,” I said have you started packing?”

He snickered as he stood up onto his feet and strolled over towards the steps,” When do I ever pack?”

Rachel cut her eyes at him and sucked her teeth, “You think you are a slick dog, I am not packing your shit.”

Justin flashed his signature smile and shrugged,” No, baby it’s just Justin.”

Rachel grabbed the kitchen towel and chunked it at his head as he laughed missing his head by an inch as he darted up the stairs two at a time.

 

 Sanaa sat on the edge of Melanie’s bed watching as she moved back and forth with folded piles of clothes to her suitcases. The next morning Melanie would be on a flight headed to New York City with Justin. As much as she wanted to be excited for her she was worried how all the stress of the quick paced and ever changing environment would for her mental and emotional state right now. Especially with having to be back in the same state as her ex-husband.

Sanaa watched as Melanie was in her own thoughts. She watched as she stood in the doorway of her walk-in closet twirling the end of her hair for five minutes before moving on to her next task. She was now staring into space while folding her clothes into the suit case.

Sanaa frowned a bit,” Hey.”

Melanie snapped out of her thoughts and looked over at her with a slight smile,”Huh?”

“Are you okay?”

Melanie blinked a few times and let out a shaky breath,” I’ll be okay."

Sanaa stood up and made her way over beside her and began to help her fold her clothes and place them in her suitcase,” You will be fine, a whole four hours away from Syracuse. I doubt you will run into Reggie. You will be all over New York City; you will be so busy you won’t have time to think about anything else.”

Melanie just nodded her shaky hand smoothing out the clothes in the suit case. Sanaa watched her for a moment and then wrapped her arms around her cousin’s body and hugged her tightly. Melanie stopped and let out a deep breath, closing her eyes and resting her head against hers.

She was going to be fine. She hoped.

 

The sun was just peeking over the hills and the air was frigid it was six A.M. Melanie was looking out of the window of cousin’s SUV at the large jet plane on the bustling runway. She waited until Sanaa came to a complete stop behind a couple of vehicles before throwing up the door. She slipped down and closed the door behind her as she stood looking up at the glistening private jet as its engine ringed in her ears. She tore her eyes from the massive size of the plane and towards a few loitering people as they all moved about, pulling their bags from their personal vehicles. She spotted Rachel, who was already had her phone attached to her ear waving her over and a couple of key people from Justin’s team.

She turned heading to the trunk of the car, which was already wide open with Sanaa pulling one of her bags out. Once pulling her bags out, Sanaa embraced her cousin in a tight hug,” You take care of yourself out there okay?”

Melanie smiled warmly hugging her even tighter,” I will don’t worry.”

They pulled back from each other still holding on to each other’s hands,” If you need anything, do not be hesitant to call us, if you need me for anything. I’ll be on the next flight, I promise.”

Melanie shouldn’t help, but chuckle at her cousin’s over protectiveness,” I’ll be fine.”

They hugged once more before Melanie grabbed her bags and rolled them over to the jet. Rachel ended her call as Melanie walked up beside her and waved off to Sanaa before directing her attention,” Ready?”

Melanie nodded as she watched her bags being gently pulled from her hands by baggage claim and Rachel lead the way to the steps of the plane and inside. As she stepped inside, it was something out of some type of luxury magazine, but it wasn’t over the top. The interior was wood and leather, oversized seats that faced each other with a long sofa on one side, a mini bar and a couple of TV off to the side of each seat and a large flat screen in the middle against a far wall.

It was definitely luxurious and comfortable without being ridiculous,” You can seat anywhere, the bathroom is straight down the narrow hall and there is one in the bedroom. But of course, it’s Justin but you can use it if the other ones taken up just knock.” Rachel explained and she sat in a chair closet to the door.

Melanie moved past the other seats they were taken up by his other team members and picked one separated by a small table and another chair facing her. She placed her carry-on bag to the side. As she pulled off her jacket, she looked to see Justin stepping onto the plane himself with a pair of dark shades and a black beanie pulled over his head with his phone pressed to his ear as a mumbled a quick hello to everyone as he made his way down the aisle.

Melanie moved into her seat allowing him room to pass by. He pulled off his glasses and gave her a subtle smile with a whispered good morning, while touching the small of her back as he passed by heading straight for the bedroom area closing the door behind him.

--

They finally made it to New York after the long flight. Everyone stayed sleep most of the way, expect Melanie. She spent her time in her seat, bobbing her head, tapping her fingers quietly into the music in her head phones while writing in her journal. She would catch herself looking longing at the door of Justin’s private room.

Not knowing on the other side Justin laid across his bed, staring at the door as well. He wanted badly to talk to her, but he didn’t want to sit under the prying eye of Rachel as he conversed with her. He thought it was in their best interest that he stayed behind the doors of his room and catch up on some sleep.

It only last two hours, until he was up looking at the door again.

When they landed, he was the last to exit in between his bodyguards and into his private blackout SUV with Rachel and Melanie while the others piled in the other. As soon as his got comfortable, his phone went off along with the others keeping them all occupied until they arrived at the hotel.

“First thing in the morning, you have a 7 a.m. with Angie Martinez at the radio station and then you have a small photo shoot for People’s Magazine for the small article they wrote about you entering into the music scene again, then you have the rest scheduled studio time.” Rachel repeated back to Justin as she flicked through her iPhone.

They rounded the block of their hotel as Melanie was inside retrieving all the keys for the staff. So once Justin exited the car, he was able to go straight to the elevator bypass the street full of bystanders and the few that were not so camouflaged paparazzi.

Rachel phone rung and she quickly pressed it to her ear,” We are rounding the corner, tell security to keep the elevator doors opened. We are on our way in.”

Eric pulled up to the curb cautiously as Tiny opened the door and as soon as they spotted him. The cameras start going off, Tiny was just as famous as Justin. They knew if he was seen, Justin wasn’t too close to behind. He opened up the door, helping Rachel out before Justin stepped out. They made a straight bee line for the hotel entrance.

Melanie stood by the elevators next to the tall, broad shoulder and stiff security guard as he kept the doors open by pressing the button multiply times. He eyed the side of her face, she could feel him looking at her as she tucked her hair behind her ears and stood watching as Justin and the rest made their way through the doors and into the lobby. They briskly walked through the large           lobby, Justin with his head down as other guests stood around glancing for time to time. From the grander of the hotel, it was use to that kind of commotion so it definitely didn’t seem to startle or bother anybody.

Tiny was the first to approach,” Thanks sir. I got it from here. Melanie go ahead get on.” He spoke towards them. He nodded and stepped back Tiny held the elevator door with his hand and Melanie stepped inside.

Everyone quickly stepped inside and shifting around as they all piled inside, Melanie stood back against the elevator. She watched as Justin stepped into the elevator, glancing at her while Rachel moved to her side, pushing everyone together as Tiny and Eric were the last to get on.

“You got the keys.” Rachel asked. Melanie quickly nodded, as retrieved them from her messenger back as it was strapped around her shoulder.

“We have two on the fifth floor, one on the 8th and three on the 10th floor.”

Rachel nodded,” Wow they must be getting pretty filled this time around. Usually we get one whole floor. Okay well… let’s see”

“JoAnn, Ericka you guys take the fifth floor, Tiny and Eric in one on the 10th floor and Rachel the other while I take the suite on 10th and Melanie you can have 8th all to yourself.” Justin ordered as he flicked through his phone.

Rachel eyed the back of his head,” Um okay…”

Rachel and Melanie looked at each other, Rachel was tempted to say something before the elevator dinged for the 5th floor.

“Okay, this is us. “ Erika, Justin’s red headed wardrobe stylist, also temporary assistant to Rachel stepped off along with JoAnn his dark haired hair stylist.

Melanie watched his head. raise from behind him,” Dinner in an hour. Downstairs.”

They nodded waving off as they headed downstairs with bags in tote as the elevator closed. Soon, they arrived to Melanie floor and she exited,” Dinner in an hour?” Justin called out to her as she made her way down the hall. She looked back at him and nodded. Justin gave her a smile then the door closed.

 

An hour had passed and gone, a matter of fact a couple of hours had passed. Melanie sat looking out of the bay window of her hotel room, taking in the city lights from the dark of her bed. She sat quiet humming to herself quietly as tears streamed down her face. The city brought back memories of her and Reggie trips out during their college days. They went to some of the Broadway shows and musicals. She was so overcome with memories that she couldn’t even take in the beauty of the view in all its glory or the luxurious-style of her hotel room. She declined on dinner stating that she was extremely tired and would eat in the morning, but Justin had sent her up room service and she sat alone.

 

She couldn’t afford to fall apart right now, but that didn’t stop from the tears from flowing. She sighed and wiped her cheeks roughly and stood up from the bed. She was exhausted from her tears, she knew she had to make a conscious choice every day to look on the brighter side of things.

She walked into the bathroom and began to cleanse her face before heading off to bed. As she finished, exiting the bathroom. She drawn to the door by a light knock. She looked at clock as it read a quarter past eleven. She moved towards to the door and peeped through hole and all she could see was the top of what look like a beanie hat.

She unlocked the door and pulled it open slightly, the person head raised and she looked into the eyes of her boss.

“Hey?” She spoke nervously.

His eyes twinkled.

“Hey, I just wanted to come and check on you, before I headed up stairs for the night.”

She pulled back the door even more,” Um, yeah I am fine I was just about to get into bed.”

He shifted and nodded,” Good, I won’t keep you. Did you get your dinner?”

She replied with a nod,” Yeah, I did thank you. Sorry I didn’t come down, just was exhausted I didn’t sleep on the plane.”

He chuckled,” Yeah me neither really.”

They both just smiled for a moment, the silence between wasn’t awkward really, but it was comfortable enough that it seemed too awkward for it not to be.

“Did you want to come in?”

He shook his head,” No, you go ahead and get some rest…”

“No it’s fine, I wouldn’t mind some company, that’s not if you didn’t need to get rest too. Oh, I forgot you have an early morning—“

He shook his head,” Nothing I’m not use too. I’ll stay for a few.”

She nodded and stood back pushing the door open wide and allowing him to pass before shutting the door.

“Wow you got a better view than I did. A corner view is the best view in my opinion.” Justin alleged as he walked in, standing in forward of the glass window. Melanie walked over beside him, wrapping her arms around her body looking at the spectacular view with him.

“Definitely beautiful” She admitted, watching the buzzing of the traffic lights down below. Justin looked at through the reflection of the window. She didn’t smile, she didn’t frown she just had a somber look on her face as though she was thinking on something else.

He turned slightly to her to say something, but decided against it. He knew that being in New York had to be unsettling for her from what Josh had told him and maybe that was the reason why she opted out joining them for dinner.

He wish he could say Forget him let’s make new memories, but he knew she had no idea that he knew anything about her. He wanted to keep it that way, until she opened up to him. Whenever that was, he was going to be there.

He didn’t stay long, the time he did stay. They stood looking at the view and Justin pointing various favorite spots he enjoyed every time he came. She shared her few trips to Broadway in college, being very vague on who all was in attendance for a reason.

It was a little before one when Justin returned to his room and they both climbed into their separate not knowing that they  both stared out of their windows, thinking of each other.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story