Josh sat on the edge of the bed watching as his fiancée frantically darted around the room, with her phone pinned between her ear and shoulder. She hurriedly pulled clothes from the dresser drawers and threw them into her large duffle bag as she tried her best to comfort her distract cousin from having mental breakdown a thousand miles away.

 

"I know honey, listen just breathe. Take deep breaths and go run you a hot bath. I'm throwing my things in a bag now. Let me call the airline and get the next flight out. I will call you right back, no, no I'm coming you don't need to be by yourself." Sanaa tried to hush her cousin as she declined her offer to fly out.

 

"No, I am coming. I will call you back. Keep your phone on. Because you need me. No, Josh is fine. He will understand."

 

Josh raised his eyebrow to the mention of his name. How did she know that he was completely fine with the fact? It was nearly midnight and she was planning on flying to the east coast at a drop of a hat. He wasn't fine with it, thought she was being irrational and from the sound of the conversation, Melanie thought so too.

 

But she was the only one who didn't see it that way.

 

Josh waited patiently until she ended the call before speaking as she disappeared into the walk-in closet," What's going on babe?"

 

After a few minutes, Sanaa reappeared with a large winter coat and couple of sweaters," Melanie ran in to Reggie, twice. One on a coffee run and tonight while in the club partying with Justin and the group."

 

He watched as she folded things into her bag," How she doing?"

 

"Miserable and broken. Luckily Justin was there because it seems as though their little run-in was escalating Reggie just didn't seem to get the hint that she wanted to be left alone. So Justin jumped in and took her back to the hotel. So, glad he is watching out for her. He has no clue. she said he’s waiting in her hotel room for her. She locked herself in the bathroom too embarrassed to show her face."

 

Josh continued to watch Sanaa move around the room shaking her head," Maybe it was a bad idea to get her this job, she isn't ready for all this."

 

"I think it's good for her. It keeps her busy and her mind focused on everything, but situation. Even her therapist said it was a good idea. As long as she stayed on her anxiety pills for a while until she gets a hang of it and then she could possibly get off." Josh stated as he stood up following her into the bathroom as she began packing her bag full of toiletries.

 

"I don't know Josh."

 

"Listen, Justin is looking after her like you said. She will be fine I don't know why you feel the need to fly cross countries. Babe, you are overreacting and it's not really necessary. I'm sure it isn't anything that Justin can't handle."

 

Sanaa stopped and turned to look at Josh with a bit of disbelief," Josh, Justin knows nothing about what's going on and how could you even suggest that we sent Justin into a situation blinded like that?"

 

Josh decided not to let her in on the simple fact that Justin did know about Melanie little history," At this point, he knows enough. I'm sure or he wouldn't be waiting outside of her hotel bathroom until he knows that she is alright. She will get through this, but she can't get through it with you nursing her scars and wounds at the drop of a hat. It's not beneficial to her I mean really think about it."

 

"Josh, this is my cousin." She stressed as tears began to swell up into the tear ducks of her eyes. Josh sighed heavily stepping fully into the bathroom and grabbed hold of her arms gently pulling her close. He ran his hands up the sides of her arms until his large hands wrapped around the sides of her neck and his fingertips digging into the nape of her hair line.

 

He looked peered into her brown orbs before speaking softly," Honey I know and I get it. I am concerned just like you are, but my biggest concern is you and how this is affecting you? And as I see it you are just as rattled as she is and I’m not liking it one bit.”

 

Sanaa smiled gingerly and he mirrored the same pressing his forehead down against hers. She rested her hands on his forearms,” Melanie is strong, if she is anything like you. I think she needs to get to a point to where she is fed up being a victim around him and she snap out of this.”

 

Sanaa nodded with a deep sigh,” You’re right. Maybe I’m over reacting it’s just she has never been the one to be weak. I guess it’s just hard for me to see her like this. I just want to do anything in my power to get her to the place she was before all this happened. She such a free spirit, well she was.”

 

“She still is.”

 

Josh couldn’t help but smile at his future wife and how compassionate and caring she was. These were the moments that made him fall in love with her all over again. She had such a big heart and sometimes too big that it put her in an unhealthy position. She needed that balance and he was there to help her find it.

 

“She’s got to will it her way. So let’s just see how she does during the night and if she hasn’t pulled herself up then we will fly out together. Okay?” He brushed his nose against her.

 

She nodded.

 

“Atta, girl.” He whispered as he tiled her head back and captured her lips with his.

 

Sanaa looked at him lovingly and smiling running her hands along his sides," What would I do with you? You keep such a levelled head about everything."

 

 

He pulled closer kissing her forehead with a chuckle, “Fly across country."

 

After calming Sanaa's nerves and helping her place her things back into the appropriate spot. He drew her a bath and she was soaking in a tub full of bubbles, with a glass of wine and music playing in the background. He sat down at the edge of the bed, facing the bathroom door as he quickly dialed up Justin.

 

 

Justin sat there on the floor listening to as she ran water. He didn't know if she knew that he was outside her door or that she completely forgot. He didn't even know if she noticed him following her back to hotel room. She was so wrapped up in her tears that she barely even made inside. He sat quietly trying to listen for her every movement that was until a rapid tap sounded on the door.

 

He glanced at the bathroom door as he quickly stood to his feet and he headed towards the door. He opened it up, seeing Rachel standing at the door with bewildered look on her face in surprise to see Justin.

 

"Um, what are you doing here? What's going on? What happened at the club?" She quickly rambled trying to make her way inside, but Justin stopped her and held his finger up to hold her off before he stepped inside grabbing the spare key on the night stand and quickly exiting closing the door behind and slipping the card into his back pocket.

 

Rachel frowned as Justin grabbed her elbow and guided her down the hall a few doors down before talking," She had a rough night, I saw her back to the hotel."

 

Rachel waited for a moment for him to liberate, but when stared blankly back at her she sighed heavily," And she couldn't do that? Tiny couldn't do that for you?"

 

Justin sighed," Look, she needed a friend."

 

Rachel scoffed," See I told you Justin, you can't go around saving people from their mess. AGAIN. Look, Melanie is a sweet girl, I like her I do, but I don't think she's cut out for this job, at least not right now. She has too much going on in her personal life to be able to be focused on your career."

 

Justin was about to object when his pocket began to vibrate. he dug down and retrieved looking at the screen as Josh name flashed across it," Hold on."

 

Justin answered pressing it to his ear as he looked at a curious Rachel," Hello?"

 

"Hey man, what's up its Josh D."

 

"Oh what's up man, what's going on?”

 

Josh sighed into the phone as he looked towards the closed bathroom door," It's going, um I hate to bother you with this, but I need a huge favor. It's more for Sanaa, but also for me. For us."

 

"Go ahead what's up?"

 

"It's concerning Melanie, I heard what happen tonight she called Sanaa." 

 

Justin's ears perked and his body straighten, Rachel took noticed and watched as Justin stepped away, watching farther down the hall," Yeah man, she pretty torn up. I'm actually in the hallway outside her room. Unfortunately met the ex-husband what a douche." Justin sneered in hush tone.

 

"Tell me about it, look the reason I called is because Sanaa was on her way out there, but Melanie and I talked her out of it, but I know Melanie is going to try to high tail it out of there. I know you got a lot going on, but I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important what I need you to do is talk her out of it. This job is really good for her, we haven't heard much from her since she started up to now. She really needs this."

 

Justin nodded as he continued pacing up and down outside of her door," She's been catching on quick too."

 

"No doubt, I just can't have Sanaa jumping on planes in the middle of the night to pick up the pieces whenever stuff like this happens. I can't have Sanaa falling apart with her. I'm trying to balance this out. They both need distractions from Melanie's issues. Mostly Melanie and I think all this traveling can give her a chance to heal."

 

Justin stopped pacing and nodded," I totally agree. I get it and I got it."

 

"I know this really isn't your problem, but--"

 

Justin smiled glancing at the door,' I got her."

 

After talking a few more minutes with Josh, Justin hung up and walked back to Rachel who was now posted against the wall, watching him," Who was that?"

 

"It was Josh." He replied nonchalantly, tucking his phone into his front pocket.

 

She pushed off the wall and looked wearily at Justin,” Look Justin about Mel-“

 

He raised his hand to cut her off,” Rachel, please I know what I’m doing. She deserves to be here. I know she has a lot going on, but who doesn’t. I can’t be so caught up in my life that I forget those around me.”

 

“But you barely know her Justin! This isn’t somebody you’ve known for years, you just met her a few months ago. This maybe Sanaa’s cousin—just don’t get caught up in this.” She pleaded.

 

Justin dragged his hand through his hair in frustration before he spoke,” She also a friend. You are there for your friends, are you not?”

 

Rachel nodded her head with a defeated sigh. Justin reached out and placed his hands on her shoulder reassuringly,” I’ll be fine, I appreciate your concern. I got it from here.”

 

She nodded and he leaned in to kiss her forehead before turning around and heading back to the room.

 

Melanie stood in front of the large window overlooking New York City with a fleece blanket wrapped around her freshly bathed body. She sighed sniffling as she wiped her free falling tears from burning cheeks.

 

She began to relive the events in her head over the past year, it was enough to bring her to her knees, but she stood. She subconsciously ran her hands over her stomach as she whispered softly,” I’m—“

 

The door of her room startled her as she quickly turned to see Justin walking in and stopped short once he made eye contact with her. They stared at one another for a moment, he reached over placing the spare key back on the nightstand while making his way over to here,” I’m sorry I stepped out for a phone call…um are you okay?”

 

She sniffed once more,” I’m sorry I ruined your night. If you need to go back. I’ll be fine”

 

Justin shook his head with chuckle,” Naw, it was only for you guys and publicity. I’m more of a private party type person.”

 

She nodded turning back towards the window, gazing back at the city. Justin watched her from the middle of the living room. He wanted to give her space, so he stood quietly. She stood still wrapped up in her blanket,” I want to thank you.”

 

“For what?”

 

She turned around pulling the blanket tighter around with tears still flowing,” For this opportunity. I-I, maybe I moved too fast. I am forever indebted to you for this, you and Sanaa.”

 

“You are perfect for this job and I’m not just saying that. I been in the business long enough to know when someone isn’t worth the time.” Justin comforted.

 

“I-I just can’t.”

 

“You can.”

 

“How do you know?” She asked curiously in between sniffles.

 

Justin smiled stepping closer looking at the view” I know when someone has something special. Whatever it may be, but I know. And you—“

 

He turned towards her with a gentle grin,” Got something. I don’t know exactly what it is, but I definitely want you around. As far as what happen at the club, whether your ex admits it or not you got something and when it’s gone you notice it’s gone. I can bet that’s why he won’t leave you alone.”

 

“I wish he would.” Melanie wished.

 

“Don’t let him bring your life to halt because he clearly hasn’t let you bring his.”

 

Melanie stood there searching his eyes she could see the sincerity in his eyes. He meant exactly what he said. He’s something else as well, but she bowed her head quickly tucking a strand of hair behind her ears and looked back at the skyline.

 

Justin began to chuckle softly, shaking his head while drawing a questionable frown from Melanie, he held up a hand in defense,” Sorry, I just sounded like my Mom just then, those were the exact words she said to me when I was going through the break up with Britney and I can only imagine your thoughts were my thoughts back then. It’s easier said than done, trust me I get it. Take whatever time you need to think about staying here. I’ll leave and let you have some room.”

 

He turned around taking a few steps towards the door, Melanie turned to follow him out without even taking a foot behind him Justin stopped and turn towards her again. He retraced his steps, but stopped directly in front her drawing a surprise from her,” Can I give you something?” He asked her softly, his breath tickled against her forehead. She simply nodded.

He reached out wrapping his long arms around her body and pulled her gently into his chest. She dropped her arms by her side, her eyes dancing wildly as Justin hugged her gently at first, but tighten his arms around her.

Justin began to think for a moment, maybe what he thought to do wasn’t such a good idea. She stood stiffly in his arms. She didn’t move an inch and he thought for a moment she wasn’t even breathing.

Melanie eyes began to blink a few times as she felt water began to flood her eyes, she tried to blink them back, but the more she blinked the more they filled until than began to spill one by one. Melanie a long staggering breath, inhaling for air and when she did she smelt him. He smelled so good it was so subtle. He smelled of soap or maybe it was his cologne, but it simple mixed with his own body fragrance. It was comforting. She drew another deep breath with closed eyes as tears streamed down her face. He was so warm, soft but firm she could feel the very sincerity in his hug like his eyes, which made the tears start flowing even more,” It’s okay.” He whispered against her ear.

It was all it took for her to come unglued again, her arms shot up and wrapped tightly around his waist as she let out a sob.

Justin heart broke all over again as he heard her cry, her body shook as she release and he squeezed her tighter. He knew that cry all too well even though it had been a couple of years for him it was the same cry he cried when things ended with Britney. When his Mom pulled him into a hug that he fought off, but when she stroked his head and said what he said to hear it opened up the flow gates because right then he wish those words were true.

He felt her fingers clinch the back of his shirt as she cried into chest. He let one hand stroke the back of her head along her silky hair and kissed the top of her head. He would hold her as long as long as she needed. He made up his mind, he was going to be there whenever she needed him.

 

 

Rachel exited the warm confines of her taxi, slipping her money to the driver through the passenger window. She stuffed her covered hands into the pockets of her warm trench coat. She walked through the double doors of the hotel and bee lined it to the elevator taking it to the fourth floor. She exited once again walking down the hall until she reached room 415. She pulled her hands out of her gloves as she knocked on the door twice. The door soon opened, revealing Trace standing in a pair of basketball, a towel draped over the top of his head as he wrapped it through his wet hair.

 

"Hey" He greeted her as he stepped aside allowing her to walk past of the threshold of his hotel room.

 

"HI." She muttered as she stepped further inside unbutton her jacket and pulling it over her shoulders and touching it into a nearby chair as she headed for the mini fridge pulling out a mini bottle of jack Daniel's. She rummaged through the mini bar throwing a couple of ice cubes into a glass cup and pour her drink on top.

 

Trace watching her in bewildered a bit as she swirls her ice in the cup and then takes a long gulp emptying its contents. She slams down the cup as she hisses with closed eyes from the burning of her throat. Then she release a heavy sigh. Trace blinks a few times before stepping further into the room still toweling off his damp hair.

 

"Something wrong?"

 

She doesn't respond but he could see the contracting muscles in her jaw. She was pissed about something and gauging by tonight events at the club. It was about Justin and his undeniable attraction to Melanie and the scene that transpired. But he waited for her response, but instead she poured another drink and do it again.

 

"What is it about her?" She questioned after a few more moments.

 

Trace played coy," About who?"

 

Rachel shot him a glare and he resisted the urge to chuckle," I am being serious, doesn't he know he is about to fuck up a perfectly good relationship for a woman that you can see carrying so much baggage a mile away."

 

Trace sighed holding onto the ends of the towel listening as she rambled on,' I mean really he has been in this relationship thing with Jessica for five years off and on."

 

"They've dated once, but Justin messed that up by cheating on her. In his defense, he is not in a relationship with her because he doesn't want to end up hurting her again because he isn't even sure about whatever he isn't sure about."

 

Rachel began to pace the room with her glass full again," Which I get, he fucked up but she is giving him the opportunity to fix things. But it's like ever since Melanie stepped into the picture he has grown to her like a moth to a flame."

 

“And you are blaming her because??”

 

Rachael stopped abruptly and narrowed her eyes at him. Trace sighed standing up with surrendered hands,” All I’m saying is even if you are right about this whole thing, you can’t blame her for Justin’s wandering eyes. Besides Justin is a grown ass man and he is also OUR boss. And if you have noticed throughout the years Justin has conducted his personal business very well even through the bad times. He has handled it. So let him handle it.”

 

Rachael sighed and shook her head walking over to her own bottle, but Trace reached out grabbing her wrist and pulling her to him grasping her waist,” I think you had enough to drink for one night. Now that we settled this Justin situation I want to talk about another situation.”

 

Rachel stared into his brown eyes,” I wasn’t aware of another situation.”

 

“Oh it’s a standing situation, which you seemed to have neglected.” Trace whispered huskily as he inched his face towards hers staring down at her body and back up to her lips.

 

She smirked relaxing against his hold and drag her fingers up along his arms and shoulders then clasping her hands around the back of his neck,” Oh that situation, how could I ever forget?”

 

She tilted her head to the side as he quickly captured her bottom lip and they began to kiss furiously. Trace backed her towards the bed until the back of her knees hit the edge and she fell back her hair splattering across the comforter. He looked over her body hungrily and crawled over her slowly before kissing her once more.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story