Author's Chapter Notes:
Totally didn't proof read this. So excuse all the grammar and spelling. It's 4:00 AM. So over THIS INSOMINA . BUT YOU GUYS benefit from it. As ALL WAYS. COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS A SPECIAL TREAT FOR ME :) FUEL TO MY FIRE . KTHXBYE XOX

 

 

Justin stared up at the top of the staircase and he had been standing there for a few minutes. All he heard on his way to the kitchen to grab a couple of bottled waters was yelling from one of the bedrooms. It was one sided for sure, he knew from the lack of response to the yelling. Then it got quiet. He knew she was the only upstairs from Josh mentioning Sanaa had gone out earlier that morning. So, he stood there hoping to get sign that she was okay up there. Why? He wasn’t quite sure, but everything in his body wanted make him take flight up the stairs and make sure she was okay.

He was naturally a protective. It was in his bones especially when it came to women. He had seen a lot of things in his life, a lot of different women, a lot of different relationships. Some good, bad and some downright ugly, it was also the southern gentlemen in him. It was the way he was raised and he had his wonderful mother to thank for that. It was a trait that the women in his life whether it be families or friends loved about him. He was a protector. So hence, the needs to come to the rescue in a moment like this.

He heard nothing.

He slowly turned and restarted on his walk into the kitchen, grabbing a few waters out while kicking the door shut with his foot. As he walked down the hall he caught a glimpse disappearing around the corner. He picked up his speed only to catch her slipping out of the sliding door that led to the back which he only knew was access to the beach. He looked at the door he was supposed to enter that led to the lower level of Josh and Sanaa’s and back out the sliding door.

The curiosity that held him down below the stairs, staring up at the door she was in got the best of him.  He followed suit in her direction, he made his way over to the door looking through the glass at her. She was knee down in the sand hunched over with her hands in the sand holding her up. From where he was standing, he looked as if she was crying. No, more like sobbing uncontrollably from the way her body shook and swayed.

He frantically didn’t know whether to go out there or go get Josh or call Sanaa up. The only thing that stopped him from going out there was the simple fact that he didn’t know her and she didn’t know him. He was the most unlikely person she would open up to in a moment like this. So, all he know to do was watch to make sure she was at least okay.

He stood and watched for twenty minutes. He watched as she beat her hands against the sand, stands up and screamed at the top of her lungs at the sky as she pulled at her hair. He only could faintly hear her screams due to the distance and the waves of the ocean. He watched as this mystery woman come unglued right in front of his eyes.

Right now she was standing motionless towards the ocean whether her eyes were open or closed he didn’t know, but she stood there and he watched.

He heard the opening of a door drawing his attention away from the scene to see Sanaa coming through the front door, dropping her keys on the table in the foyer before looking to see him. She greeted with a smile as she placed her bag on the table.

“Hey Justin! What are you doing over there?” She asked making her way over as he turned his attention to the figure at hand.  He felt her pat his back as she cast her gaze upon what was holding his attention.

He could sense her mood change as she sighed,”Melanie…”

Justin frowned as he looked down at her as her face expressed worry and then he couldn’t help to ask,” If you don’t mind me asking, is she okay?”

“How long you been watching her?” She disregarded his question which only made him want to ask more.

“About twenty minutes, I saw her come down stairs because earlier I was on my way to the kitchen and I heard her shouting upstairs and then she ended up out there. I was just trying to make sure everything was okay…and she kinda just came apart out there by herself. I just was watching make sure she was going to be okay.”

Sanaa shook her head and looked up at him with a weary before opening the sliding door before finally answering his question,” She is not okay, not even in the least bit.”

It seemed from the way she closed her eyes and bite down on her bottom lip. She might have said too much then quickly she patted his arm,” I got it from here Justin, thank you.”

She stepped out onto the patio and closed the door behind her giving him a reassuring smile before heading out to the girl. He watched as she slowly came up beside her with her hand grazing her back. Melanie turned to look at her cousin before breaking down in tears once more as Sanaa wrapped her arms around her tightly.

He didn’t know what it was, but his heart broke for her. He turned on his heels and grabbed his waters and headed back through the door and down the stairs.

The hours went by many games, laughter and beers later Justin still couldn’t get his mind off what he witness. He sat in the corner of the room watching the other guys watch replays of football games while he replayed the events previously. His thoughts were soon interrupted by Josh who had come back downstairs from upstairs.

Josh walked over and took a seat next to Justin while sipping on beer. He didn’t say anything for moment, but Justin knew he came over by him for a reason judging by his demeanor and it was soon confirmed.

“Sanaa told me about what happen upstairs man.”

Justin looked at him for a moment before taking another swig of his own beer,” Yeah, sorry didn’t mean to intrude or anything. I just was a bit worried.’

Josh chuckled reaching over and patted Justin’s back and kept his eyes forward.

” Naw you good man. We appreciated it you know. It just had been a lot going on with her cousin Melanie. She has been through a hell of a lot this year, shit just been crazy.”

Justin’s curiosity was sparked once more,” What you mean if you don’t mind me asking.”

Josh sighed looking at Justin again, he dropped his head before speaking,” Before I say anything, just remember the rules of the pen man.

Justin nodded. Josh ran his hand over his face and readjusted his hat on his head,” Sanaa one day called her mom up, you know the regular checkup her, see how the family doing type business. Well, Melanie and Sanaa been real close growing, Sanaa consider Mel her own sister. Well her mom told Sanaa take a lot of shit had been going on with Melanie  ...”

Justin sat there listening as Josh continued on and all he could do was listening. It was a lot for anyone it was a lot to tell, hear, but he couldn’t imagine going through. As Justin listened it gave light to what he had just witness not too long ago. How she was still functioning he didn’t understand. All that going on one after another would send anyone over the edge. She was lucky to have such great family support. Josh and Sanaa was already a great pair in his eyes, but this only sealed the deal from him. They were those pair that you could see being married for years to come and die old together their hearts were both in the right place especially when it came to friends and family. They came to Hollywood and nothing changed for them they were just ordinary people who happen to live the life most people dreamed about.

They were humble and that’s who Justin kept in his close circle. He was going to definitely include them in his inner circle.

 

As the hours drew on the men’s gatherings soon dissipated and Justin was now on his way dropping Trace off at his place before heading to his own. Trace watched Justin out the corner of his eye as Justin remained zoned out while maneuvering through traffic. Trace tried to break of this daze was in, but the only response he got was a couple of “yeah” and head movements.

“Oh dude! What’s with you?”

Justin glanced over at him with a frown,” What?”

“Man, you been almost non responsive since we left Josh’s house, while even before that, what’s going on that I didn’t noticed.”

Justin shook his head,” Nothing man just got a lot on my mind.”

Trace waited for him to elaborate, but when it didn’t come he asked,” Care to share?”

Justin placed his hand on the back of his neck and began to rub. He wasn’t so sure that he should be giving out delicate information right now to Trace. Even though they had been best friends since birth he still knew it wasn’t his place to give out private information about someone he didn’t know and that Trace had never seen.

“Nothing, just been thinking about this new album. I am so anxious to put out another album, but some things I want on it I can’t get the words out. I’m just anxious.” He partially lied, but he knew Trace had no idea as he let out  a laugh.

 

“Ah, man do not worry about it. When the time is right, your shit comes out flawless. I don’t know why after all these years you still be shitting bricks about your music.” Trace shook head with a chuckle as he messed with the radio station.

Justin smirked and shrugs his shoulders, “It’s just the perfectionist in me I guess.”

 

                                                                                    ---

Melanie looked out the large window of a 12 story building, looking over the skyline of Los Angeles. The city was bustling and booming on the outside and her she was still and quiet on the inside. She pulled her long caramel colored legs up against her chest as she curled up on the soft couch. The heels of her feet placed on the edge of her seat as she bites subconsciously at her thumb nail. She sighed pulling her finger away from her mouth and wrapped her arms tightly around her legs as she rest her chin in the groove in between her knees as they were pressed tightly together.

She looked through her prescription glasses at the woman swirling slightly from side to side in her leather burgundy chair. Dr. Mitchell smiled gingerly at Melanie over her own glasses as she leaned her head into the hand as her elbow rested on the chair arm while the other held a gold wooden pen on a legal pad in her lap. She watched Melanie watch her before pulling her fingers out her frizzy and curly red hair.

“So, Melanie tell me how the last couple of days been going for you? How are you adjusting to the readjustment to your medication?” She asked softly while prepping her hand with the pen between her fingers.

Melanie casted her eyes back over to the window as she rambled through her thoughts. The bites and pieces of information that she wanted to give willingly,” They keep me up all night and asleep all day.”

She could hear the scribbling of the pen against the yellow paper,” What exactly?”

“The medications one moment I have aggressive appetite and another I can barely keep anything down.” Melanie added.

“That is totally to be expected until your body readjusts to the dosage. Other than what anything knew happen? Have you been out with your cousin and her fiancé? Out seeing the city.”

Melanie drew little circles on the arm of the sofa with her finger tips as she tucks some of her hair behind her ear with the other,” I went to dinner with them at Wolfgang Puck. I had fun.”

“That’s a great start. I heard that is a popular restaurant for celebrities. Did you happen to meet anyone?” Dr. Mitchell asked animatedly which Melanie could tell was well rehearsed. She couldn’t help, but roll her eyes inwardly.

Melanie just shrugged her shoulders while looking down at her dark brown polished toes that made her skin stand out around her feet. She loved the color it was dark, but warm without it being too harsh.

“Justin Timberlake.” She replied cooly.

“Wow, very attractive and talent man. I’m sure he looks better in person.” Dr. Mitchell wiggled her eyebrows at Melanie, but she just blanked in return. She didn’t deny that was great to look, but she only said a few words to him to be totally captivate as her doctor seemed to be as she hummed one of his melodies she recognized.

Melanie run her fingers through hair tossing some of it to one side,” He is good-looking, but didn’t say much to him. He was engulfed in a conversation with Josh, so I was there for the entertainment. I went unnoticed.”

Dr. Mitchell shook her head,” I highly doubt that Melanie, you are a beautiful woman with an exotic flair about you.”

 Melanie sucked her teeth with a roll of her eyes, “The only thing exotic about me is my Guyanese roots.”

“Exotic nonetheless.”

Melanie eyes wandered around the room before drifting off back to the window as she watched the blue sky and the clouds slowly swim in its depths. She didn’t feel exotic in the sense of beautiful. She felt like a shattered picture and she blinded having no way of putting herself back together because nothing fit. She had missing pieces of her.

“Sanaa has told me about the incident a few days ago, you want to talk about that?”

Melanie slowly turned her head as she cocked an eyebrow,” What do you mean she told you?”

“She called me out of concern. She came home one day and saw you outside on the beach. She said she had some sort of mental break down. What happened that day that may have triggered that?” Dr.  Mitchell began to write once again her voice dropping to a soft concerning tone.

She closed her eyes tightly and dropping her head. She really didn’t want to really replay that moment in time again. She didn’t want to revive the conversation between her and Reggie. She didn’t want to relive those thoughts and those emotions. This is what she hated about therapy. You relived everything you talked about and was forced to face it and if you rejected the process it was only a matter of time before you were force to confront again and again until you built up enough courage to deal with the issue.

This issue was nothing new, but the wound of the moment was. It was still fresh. She didn’t want to talk about because she knew what questions would follow, why she chose to pick up the phone when he called? What did he say? What did she say? How did it make her feel? She could feel the tears seep from her eyes and began to travel slowly down her cheeks and splattering down over her knees her lips trembled as she drew deep breaths her body shaking with each one.  She brought her legs tighter against her chest. She didn’t want to go there. She was tired of crying from even the flashes of his face, the flashes of her first and only ultrasound. The faint beat of her baby’s heartbeat. The call of anonymous females from her husband’s phone that made her stomach turns. The late nights and early morning, the smell of liquor all over his clothes, elusive fragrance of a woman’s perfume, the red streak tints around his hips bone while she was trying to pull his clothes off from his drunken stupor.

 She tired of reliving every moment in her head, day after day. Moment after moment, it was becoming physically exhausting. Even the Dr. noticed upon her arrival the lack of energy in her step.

Dr. Mitchell pulled the glasses off her ivory face and stood up from  her chair and walking over to Melanie and occupying a seat beside her while running her hand up and down the length of her back as she  reached down pulling a Kleenex from the box that sat between  them. She slid it into her hand before speaking…

“We won’t go into this time Melanie because unfortunately our time together is up, but I want you to do something. I want you to take this second chance at a new start and use it. I want you to take that beautiful beach you spend hours on and run the length of the beach. Do something while you are out there. Swim the depths of it, yoga would be great thing to do early in the morning, but you not only have to occupy your thoughts with positive, but also your daily habits. You have no idea, how light to moderate exercise a day can do for you.”

Melanie took the tissue and began to wipe her eyes with a nod,” Okay. I think I can do that.”

She unfolded her legs and slipped her bare feet down into red canvas shoes and stood slowly to her feet. She grabbed her brown cross body purse from the side of the couch and wrapped it around her body and pulling her hair from underneath its strap. They both walked to the door quietly Melanie stood to the side as her doctor opened while she held the door with a smile,” I’ll see you in a few weeks as previously scheduled?”

Melanie nodded exiting the door and giving her a small wave goodnight while she exited through the waiting room and out to the lobby. She sighed softly as the door to the waiting room closed behind her allowing her to stand face to face a few feet from the elevator. As pressed the down arrow her purse began to vibrate. She twisted the little knob to her purse and pulled back the flap while reaching in to retrieve her phone. She looked down at it as her beautiful cousin’s face appeared the screen along with her name. She slid the bar on the screen as the elevator dinged.

She pressed the phone to her hear as she stepped in between the opened doors,” Hello?”

“Hey you all done?” Sanaa questioned quickly. Melanie noticed the many voices that played in the background of her cousin’s phone.

“Yeah, on the elevator now.”

“Okay Josh and I are headed to lunch with the wedding planner than after we going to do a little Christmas shopping. Did you want to join us?”

Melanie watched as the numbers descend as she bite down on her bottom lip in thought,” Naw, I think I’ll just go back to the house and get some sleep. I was up all night; I think the lack of sleep is starting to kick in.”

“Oh..” Sanaa replied softly.

She felt bad for the time she had been L.A. she hadn’t hung out much with her while she was running around town planning the wedding. But Sanaa being the person she was she was more than understanding of the situation and the agony it put her in, but Melanie thought it was time for her to put forth some effort to get back to normal,” Sorry, but hey you guys are doing the cake tasting again right later on this week. I’ll definitely go to that.”

“Great! Who doesn’t love cake right?” Sanaa expressed happily which Melanie couldn’t help but laugh a bit.

“Right! I’ll see you when you get home.”

“Okay. Be careful Bye Hun.” The phone call ended with a click.

The elevator finally reaches the ground floor before dinging again and opening wide. She walked through the lobby area of the building before walking through the revolving doors and out into the cool air of L.A. She pulled shades from the middle of the V in her plain white V-neck t-shirt that hung loosely to her body and hitting the thigh of her worn blue jeans that fitted to her lower half perfectly and rolled up at the knees.

She pulls her arm from her side and turns palm up as she looks at the watch around her wrist that was surrounded on both sides with varies colored beaded bracelets. It was a quarter til two and she was starving.  She lucky her therapist was located in the heart of every food joint in L.A. it seemed like she a variety of choices, but right now she was feeling a burger and a milkshake.

She turned to the right and began walking down the sidewalk to the parking garage across the street that was assigned to the building. She came to the corner and carefully cross the street and made her way to the side opening that entered into the garage.

She pulled the keys from her purse and hit the unlock button followed by the button to start the car. She walked down the aisle until she came upon an all-black Range Rover with some serious tinted windows. She wasn’t even sure they were legal, but by the status of her cousin’s career right now she probably had papers on it. She pulled open the door and climbed not taking long to get settled and pull out into the traffic of L.A.

 

---

Justin held his stomach as it began to gurgle at him. He was starving like Marvin, but he was in the middle of recording as he was told to hook a verse again. He licked his lips slowly as the music dropped again in the headphones. He nodded his head to the beat before parting his lips and the words sliding of his tongue.

“Hey little mama…”  He sung the words with his eyes closed as bobbed his head and tapped his foot to the bed as he sung from his gut getting into the groove of the music until he got lost in the music. He zoned out and forgot the very space he was standing in for only for a few moments until the music was check and the rumbling of his stomach became apparent from its depths.

He sighed taking his head phones off and speaking into the music,” Yo, Tim. I need to grab something to eat I’m starving like hell man.”

He watched as his close friend and producer Timbaland  laugh as he hit the button on the sound board that allowed him to answer Justin,” Okay let’s take an hour lunch.”

Justin nodded placing the headphone around the microphone that hung down from the ceiling and exited the sound booth. Once back around the sound board area he grabbed his keys from a nearby counter and looked at Tim,” Hey I’m going to hit IN and OUT burger you want anything?”

“Just bring me back a milkshake and fries man, thanks.” Timbaland replied as he was still fiddling with the buttons on the machines as he listened to the playback of a previous song Justin recorded.

“Alright I’ll be back.” Justin turned and made his way out of the door closing it behind him. He made his descent down a long hall way until he pushed through two sets of double doors before making it outside into the sunshine.

He dangled his keys in hand as he shuffled them between his fingers without looking hitting the unlock button and starter to his black Audi Q7. He pulled open the door and slipped in closing the door beside him. He reached up pulling his Ray Bans from the special holder on his visor and slipped them on along with the navy blue NY hat on over his brown curls. He put the car in reverse backing out of the parking spot and throwing it drive and out into the streets.

---

 

Melanie coasted down the street way as she had all the windows down and had the music turned up enough for people to hear, but not loud enough that it was all you could hear. She slowly the car to a stop as she pulled up at a red light drumming her thumbs against the steering wheel to Rihanna’s “Only Girl in the World.”

She moved back and forth to the beat as she watched people walking back and forth to their destination. As she looked around for a burger joint she noticed an IN and OUT burger up ahead. She remembered Josh saying something about how good their burger and milkshakes were. Once the light hit green she slowly accelerated until she reached the speed limit.  She drove along carefully as she witnessed cars weaving in and out of lanes. She never really driven in NY traffic, but she knew LA drivers were just as reckless.

She quickly made into the right lane as she checked all her mirrors and along with her blind spot. She soon found herself pulling into the parking lot of the burger chain. She pulled into a parking spot by the door. She rolled up her windows and began to gather things together.

---

 

“I miss you too Jess, but you know how busy I’ve been especially with getting this new album out. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to hit you up on a regular.” Justin voiced into the phone that was placed comfortably against his ear as he held the wheel with his other maneuvering through traffic.

“I know Jay, I just I don’t know it’s not like I don’t understand. I can’t help the fact I miss you. I miss us.”

He could hear the sadness in her voice. He knows that he promised that they would pick up where they left off. He said he would call more often and try to kindle the fire that was slightly dim for their relationship, but he simple hadn’t had the time. He had been doing a lot of writing and working with different producers during to get third album out because he had been off the scene for a couple of years now while venturing in movies. It was fun as hell, but music is where his heart was and he was ready to get back to it.

But his heart still beat for Jess and he really truly wanted to give their relationship another try. She was such a sweetheart, so down to earth and funny. She was quiet soul, but was a noticeable one. The way she cared herself it was as if she carved out of the clouds, she walked and talk like a gentle breeze. She was fresh and light. There wasn’t much to her, she didn’t have issues that he could think of. She was woman of simplicity there wasn’t many layers to her. It was just enough not too complicated and not too dull. Just right.

“Me too.” Justin breathed out into the phone. He threw his blinker on as he approached his destination and made his right into the fast food parking lot and pulled up beside a black range rover.

“Where you at?” She questioned as Justin kicked up the door before turning the car off allowing the ringing of the car letting you be aware that something was either open or on that wasn’t supposed to be.

“I’m at in and out burger about to grab me and Tim something to eat before we continue in the studio.” He answered as he turned off the car as he pulled his hat down farther over his head shielding his eyes a bit as he rose out of his car and closing it.

“Okay, I’ll let you do that babe. Call me when you get home tomorrow no matter how late.” She assured him. He knew she would be waiting for his call and would answer no matter what. She was just that type of woman.

“I will. I’ll talk to you later. Yeah. Bye.” He finished the call as he closed the door and pressing the button at the top to lock it back.

He heard the ringing of another car as its doors open and the turning off of the engine. Justin casted a glance to his left as he noticed a woman hop from the car, his blinked his eyes as noticed the long black hair that fell down her back. She hit the alarm on her car before turning giving him a full view of her face.

It was her again. She never looked at him as she fixed her loose shirt before walking. He was a few steps in front of her as he quickly turned his head as he had been walking all along. He reached the front door he pulled the door open and held it for her as she stepped up onto the curb and she looked up throwing a slight smile her dark brown eyes meeting his blue.

“—Thank yo—“

 

The smile dropped and a look of surprise and off guard appeared in its place. The smile that left her face was transferred to Justin’s.

“Your welcome.” He replied with a nod as she walked in looking back over her shoulder at him before looking fully ahead. He walked in behind her as she made her way to the line behind a couple of people. She nervously clasped her hands in front of her as she looked up at the menu, which was short and simple. Straight to the point. She noticed as he stepped up beside her but giving each other some space and he stared up at the menu. They remained silent just staring at the menu to keep from looking at each other.

Justin let a chuckle roll up from his gut shaking his head,” As many times as I’ve been here you would think I would have no need to look at the menu. I already know what I want.”

Melanie glanced over at him for a few seconds before going back to the menu with a shrug,” It is pretty straight to the point. There is no thought involved I guess.”

Justin nodded in agreement as he looked over at her. She looked up at him with a kind smile as she moved up with the line and he followed suite.  They both remained quiet for a few moments before Melanie spoke, ”Justin right?”

As if she didn’t know.

He nodded,” Yeah and Melanie right?”

“Right”

Silence came once again.

Melanie finally made it to the front as the cashier asked for her order,” I’ll get two cheese burgers and large fry with a large root beer.”

“Okay your total will be 7.75.” Melanie reached down into her purse but before she could retrieve her money a hand shot out with an American Express card held between two fingers.  

“I got it.” Melanie heard the low rumble of Justin’s voice before adding his order onto hers. She went to interject, but Justin stepped to the side of her his hand brushing the small of her back as he retrieved the card as it had been swiped quickly. A chill shot through Melanie’s as her knees locked on her causing her to fall forward quickly before her hand was able to reach out for the counter.

Justin noticed out the corner of his eye as her body began stiffen and quickly give under her.  He grateful for his quick reflects, as his arms grabbed hold of her, both hands gripping her hips. The cashier looked on as she watched the young woman almost collapsed to her feet.

“Whoa …I got ya.” He felt her twist her body as her hands gripped one of his arms to study herself. Justin helps her steady herself as she stood back up fully shaking her head from the incident.

“What the hell..” She said more to herself than to Justin as she laughed nervously scratching her scalp. What did her body just do? It was as if it had shut down completely on her. She felt a weak sensation throughout her knees that traveled up and down her legs. It felt like a jolt of electricity, but wasn’t strong enough to harm you, but enough to get your attention. She looked down at her body once more with bewilderment, before he broke her thought.

Justin laughed with her,” What happened?”

Melanie looked up at him as she felt the same sensation a chill rolling through her body, but most more calm,” I don’t know I think I was standing weird and my knees locked on me.”

“Oh okay, you okay now?”

Melanie waved him off with an embarrass smile running her hands over her shirt to smooth it out.  As her thoughts were still swirling from what happened.

“Yes. Thank you”

It was more to smooth out her nervousness versus her shirt. She peeped at him once again as she watched him twist the paper recipient around his finger. She motioned to it,” Thank you for buying my meal. You really didn’t have too.”

 He shrugged with a lopsided grin “It’s my pleasure really.”

“Order 199.” A young man called out while pushing a large across the counter along with a cup holder before returning to bag up another.

Justin untwisted his recipient and read the number,” Ah that’s us.”

He grabbed the bag before Melanie could reach for it, but motioned for her to pick up the drinks. They turned and made their way over to the front door. Melanie was prepared to grab her food and go once they made it to their cars.  As they were headed to their separate cars Justin stopped Melanie in her tracks with a question.

“You mind having lunch with me?”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story