The muscles along his jaws flexed with distinction as he bite into his burger. The juices from the meat dripping down his stubbly chin, he sat his sandwich back in its little box while grabbing a napkin and wiping the mess from his face. He ran his tongue over his pink lips and pulled a few fries from its holder and popped them in his mouth. She blinked hard a few times before casting her eyes down at her own food as she held a couple of fries between her fingers and swirled them around in a pile of ketchup that was off to the side of her.

They sat in silence enjoying their meal watching each other from time to time. Melanie never realized how hunger she was until she went through a burger and a half without much thought of anything. She practically inhaled the meaty sandwich along with the hot salty fries. She took her napkin and wiped the greasy and salt from her fingers and mouth.

“Good burger huh?” Justin asked as he pulled a pickle from inside of the burger and popping it into this mouth as he chewed slowly with a smirk.

 Melanie nodded in the middle of taking a sip of her half full root beer. She placed the cup back on the table before speaking. “Yeah, but definitely doesn’t hold contest with burgers back home.”

“Where are you from exactly?”

“Syracuse, New York.”

“I love New York, got a condo in Clinton with the most breathtaking view. I was surprised that they had such an amazing view from the condos within the city. It’s definitely money well spent.” He pulled his phone from his front pocket and began to go through before handing it to her.

She looked up at him as he nodded towards the phone. She grabbed it out of his hand damn near dropping when her fingers touched the tip of his. She viewed the picture that was displayed on his screen of a view of New York City from afar over the autumn trees. It was beautiful.

“Wow that is beautiful.” She took another moment to take it in the picture before handing it back to him with a smile. They sat in silence for a few minute just finishing the last of their foods and clearing the space between them with their trash in a pile off to the side. They played with the straws of their cups as they looked around the restaurant.

She noticed he kept his looks low and far in between when people weren’t moving around as much. She had forgotten that being seen in a common place like this could turn into circus quickly if he wasn’t careful.

 Melanie cleared her throat before speaking…“How long have you known my cousin and her fiancé?”

Justin ran his hand over and around his jaws casting his eyes upward as he thought…

“A couple of years I’ve seen Sanaa around at different award shows and that sort. My last three relationships I’ve been with a woman who an actress. So I became within the TV and Movie industry going to different social gatherings and stuff like that. So I’ve met both of them in passing and eventually remained good friends. They are great people and great for each other.”

 She leaned forward on the table folding her arms underneath her chest followed by the crossing of legs as she straightens up her posture. “Yes I agree, they complete each other well. She seems totally happy and he does too. I’ve just really gotten to know Josh being on the other side of the country and all, but only being here for a few weeks. He is very easy to get along with. He definitely makes my cousin smile non-stop, sweet spirit.”

“Sweet Spirit?” Justin lets out a hearty laugh before quickly quieting himself not to draw attention.

 Melanie looked puzzled for a moment until she muddled over what she said before she knew she was snickering alongside him. She guessed saying a man has a sweet spirit doesn’t always come off well depending on the company you were keeping and her company was quite amused.

 Justin shook his head with a smile as his laughter subsided readjusting the hat that was on his head. “Speaking of Josh and Sanaa they let you loose on the mean streets of L.A.”

“Mean streets?” She cocked an eyebrow.

“Oh I forgot you are a New Yorker.”

She nodded,” Yes, LA is like Mayberry compared to New York.”

He laughed.

 “Thank God for GPS though they are out with their wedding planner. I was just out running around getting a feel for the city.” She answered nervously as she rubbed the nail of her middle finger against the skin of her thumb. She began to shift nervously as she sent up a silent prayer that he wasn’t going to ask what she thought he was going to ask.

“What made you decide the drastic move?”

There it was. She never thought she would have to answer such a question so soon, but she knew that it was inevitable. Who would ask? Her she was 28 years old with a sudden move to Los Angeles. She wonders if Josh had mentioned to him anything about her, but why would he? She didn’t know Justin and it wasn’t like he was family. She began to ponder of her answer.

 She shrugged her shoulders as she looked at her cup sliding the straw in and out of it tops making awkward whistling sound and the shuffling of the remaining ice.

“I guess you can say I was stuck in a rut back home and need a change of pace”

 He nodded in agreement.

“I understand that you get tired of not feeling like you are going anywhere. It’s never too late to try something new. Do you know what you want to do while you out here?

 She thought about once she was out here, but between battling with her emotions and thoughts other than getting established in California. She couldn’t say she had a set plan on what she wanted to look for, but all she knows is that she needed a job.

“Definitely need to get hold of a job being at their house versus always having my own. It’s not comfortable for me so the sooner I get a job the faster I can move out and get established out here.”

“Anything particular looking for because at my label there is always something open. I don’t know if you would be interested, but usually it’s just receptionist work.” He suggested sincerely.

 Melanie laughed nervously pushing her hair over her shoulders with fiddling with her cup again. “I am not in a position to be picky.”

 Justin nodded as his phone began to buzz on the table. He slid the screen open and began to read what a text message was probably. He sent a reply back before looking back at her.

“Well here I have to head back to the studio. Let’s exchange numbers, if you haven’t had any luck out here finding something good because the job market is so competitive right now you really just have to know people. Give me a call or shoot me a text and I can definitely make a few phone calls and have you somewhere in a couple of days.”

He handed over his phone towards her and waited patiently for her to hand him hers. They plugged in each other’s number before switching back to their respect phones. Melanie slid her phone back into her purse and Justin stood to collect their trash and dispose of it. He watched as she stood up from her seat and walked ahead of him towards the door. He reached around her and pushed the door open. She mumbles a thank you before walking out ahead.

As she gets a few steps ahead him, Justin smells her scent lingering behind her. It was a soft scent of lavender and honey. It was soft, but was enough for him to smell it as she passed. It sent a warm sensation through his body just like when he touched the small of her back as they ordered their lunch. He almost couldn’t control himself from letting out a groan.  

They both walked towards her car as she hits the unlock button. Justin, being the gentleman that he was opened up her car door. She looked up at him with a bit of a surprise as she expects him to head to his.

“But, please, really don’t hesitant to call for nothing comes up.” Justin speaks as he holds the door open for her allowing her to climb up and slid in.

“I will definitely keep that in mind that’s sweet of you.” Melanie knows she is too prideful for something like that. She barely knew him and didn’t want to take advantage of him and his status and relationship with her cousin.

As if he read her mind he said with a smirk pointing his finger at her,” I will be checking up on you now, but you have a good rest of your day. I enjoyed lunch your SWEET company.” With a wink he closing her door for her and heads off to his car.

Melanie blinks in amazement, but can’t help to chuckle before she starts up the engine and pulls out of the parking lot with a smile on her face.

- -

Melanie blew out a quiet sigh as she tapped her high heeled pump nervously against the mahogany colored carpet. She shifted in her seat for the millionth time as she twisted her silver watch around her wrist with her eyes glancing down at the time for a moment. She was a nervous wreck. She just wished she could hurry up and get this over with a quickly as possible, while at least before her anxiety pills wore off.

She didn’t know why she was this nervous it was as though she had never been on an interview. She just hated them with a passion. Especially panel interviews which she wasn’t on right now, thank the heavens, but this interview was just as nerve wrecking. Maybe because the only reason she gotten this interview was because Justin pulled some strings for her.

A couple of weeks later after having lunch with Justin and a couple of job interviews later, she just couldn’t to seem to nail a job she thought she deserved or a job that paid enough for her to be able to live on her own in Los Angeles.

So with much deliberation and many conversations later with Josh and Sanaa, Melanie drew up the nerve to send a simple text to Justin for his help and within a few hours she was scheduled with an interview and right before the holidays. Sanaa was excited and leaned her simple gray Marc Jacobs gray suit dress and a pair of shoes with a purse. She wanted to make sure she looked the part.

She was nervous because she wanted to make a good impression, it is kind of a big deal when you have an A-List celebrity get you a job because he could have easily gotten the job for her, but she knew he had integrity for just a short time in talking to him. Plus it was just a job as an executive assistant. The job title is a more professional way of saying “secretary”, but to millionaires.  

She checked the time once again; she had been waiting for a half an hour. She was personally growing impatient. She looked around again at all the pictures of all the artists they were signed to the label along with awards as well.  Her eyes drifted over to the cute little brunette who sat behind the large cherry wood desk, talking on the headset quietly that not too long rung as she typed on the computer.

Then the door to the right of the desk opened and out stepped a middle aged black man dressed in a pair of dark blue jeans, a red polo shirt and a tailored blazer. He held a manila folder in his hand by his side. His eyes scanned the room until they rested on her,” Ms. Melanie Jacobs?”

She nodded quickly scooting to the edge of the leather seat,” Yes sir.”

He gave her a bright smile and waved her over while pushing the door open wider and holding it open with his body,” Come on with me.”

Melanie stood to her feet grabbing her purse from the seat beside her and her portfolio and made her way across the room towards him. He held out his hand as she approached him and shook hers,” Sorry to keep you waiting. I was in a conference call. I’m Johnny Wright, music manager of Justin Timberlake.”

Oh holy hell.

She smiled brightly at him shaking his hand firmly,” It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr. Wright. I am honored you took the time out of your busy schedule for this interview.”

He chuckled with a grin,” When I get a call from Justin instead of text it’s usually important, but it’s absolutely no problem at all anything for Justin. So, why don’t you come in and follow me and I’ll show you around.”

She stepped to the other side of the door into a dimly light hall way with sharp clean décor. After closing the door they began to make their way down the hall,” So welcome to Jive Records, this happens to be our second building which the original is located in North Hollywood. We have numerous artists, so hence needing more room. As I stated before I’m Justin’s Music Manager, I do everything besides actually making his music. I oversee every aspect of his music career and I have other individual that work beside Justin and I, but nothing gets approved unless it gets Justin and I approval, but most importantly Justin’s. I’ve been working with Justin since his Nsync days, so he is like my own son.”

Melanie nodded she could only imagine that their relationship wouldn’t be anything less than father/son type with him manager him throughout a decade. They continued down the hall as he began giving the history on Jive Records while pointing out various areas and departments and their function while stopping in between for him to introduce her to people. Everyone was friendly and polite, but was busy. Music was constantly playing and it was various styles, tempos and makes, but it was all played at a respectable level. Some people were sitting at desks going through e-mails while listening to music on a pair of headphones.

 They turned a corner going through a secured door that only was accessible with a key pass that Johnny scanned. They reach a hallway with a line of doors with a sign over the door frame reading “Recording”. Some were light and some weren’t. She instantly what this was, it was the studios.

“This is where the music actually happens, whether it just is producing beat, some songs or a full album. This is where it happens. This hallway is secure for obvious reasons, for our artist safety and privacy when it comes to the music making process. We don’t want people roaming up and down the halls while they are trying to focus.”

Melanie nodded understandingly Johnny looks down at his watch,” I believe Justin should be here recording working on his third album. Justin has a room that is specifically for him when he is recording. Which was much honored, it’s at the very end of this hall. So as we walk down here, I forget to ask you, how do you know Justin?”

Melanie readjusted her purse on the fold of her arm,” Well, I really don’t know Justin personally. I’ve only known him for a few weeks and only met him twice. I just moved her from New York actually.”

That drew a raise eyebrow from Johnny, she gave him a nervous laugh,” He is actually really good friends with my cousin Sanaa Lathan and her fiancé Josh.”


“Oh yes, Sanaa! Beautiful woman I haven’t seen her in a long time well not since she and Josh have been dating. How are they doing?”

“They are great, they actually planning their wedding for the spring of next year.”

“Oh wow! I hadn’t had a clue haven’t really be up to date on the latest news in entertainment for anyone else, but Justin. Why don’t we stop in and say hello.” Johnny motioned to a solid black door.

Melanie nodded as he knocked on the door a few times before opening it up. As soon as he opened the door and stepped aside to allow her to walk in she was met with a melody playing over the speakers with heavy bass. They walked into the room quietly as a few people occupied the room. They were standing and sitting around the sound board nodding their heads to the music.

She didn’t know who they were, but instantly picked out Timbaland sitting in the middle fiddling with the buttons and volumes while Justin sat next to him slightly turned to the side with his arms folded over each other against his chest. He bobbed his head back and forth to the rhythm quickly adjusting the black framed glasses as focused out in his zone. She knew that stare all too well. You weren’t staring at anything in particular, but you were so focused on what you are listening to that you don’t even register what could be going on around you.

Whatever song this was the beat was more hip-hop and she couldn’t help but nod her head a little.

“This is the creative process, artist tend to spend their life in the studios. Even between traveling they can take their music anywhere with them. Use any studio in the world because once you are in the creative process you don’t want to interrupt that.” Johnny spoke softly into her ear.

She nodded as the music faded watching as the group interacted with each other. Johnny cleared his throat drawing the attention of the group especially Justin,” Excuse me guys, we were just stopping in for a moment with one of our new hires.”

Am I hired? Melanie thought for a moment looking over to Justin with a tight smile as he winked over at her.

“This is Melanie Jacobs; she is going to be one of our executive assistances. She will be working closely with Justin and I on the promotion of the new album.” Johnny announced and began to introduce Melanie to the people in the room.

She could feel Justin’s eyes on her and would ask glances of him at the corner of her eye as she walked around shaking all of the hands. She had no idea why he was staring at her, watching her or whatever he was doing, but it was a bit unnerving. As she greeted everyone stepped back to her spot off to the side as Johnny lingered over to talk to one of the guys messing with the sound board.

Justin made his way over to her with his hands stuffed into his jean pockets,” Hey.”

She squeezed her portfolio in her hand nervously” Hi.”

Justin leaned against the small counter space that was off to the side that divided the room a bit, forming a little walk away from the door before spreading out to the other part of the room. He crossed his legs at the ankles as he tilted his head to the side looking at her,” So how you liking the tour so far?”

Melanie shifted in her heels glancing briefly before looking at him in response,” This place seems great, everything is very organized and secured as much as expected around her.”

Justin laughed nodding,” Yeah they tried everything to not make it seem like prison, but in this line of work security is a must, which I am positive Johnny will explain to you later on.”

Melanie laughed along with him nodding in agreement,” It’s understandable though. You artist have a creative space here. You don’t want too much interruption while making hits for the world.”

“Exactly, it’s like this is our most intimate spot and we are here making a baby figuratively speaking to share with the world.”

Melanie swallowed hard at the mention of a baby, not now she thought to herself. She drew in a deep breath slowly while nodding with a slight smile.

Justin took notice at the shift of uneasiness, he pushed himself up off the counter clearing his throat,” Hey let me introduce you to some of my creative masterminds that I’m working on the album with. You will probably be seeing a lot of them.”

They made their way over to sound board where his group was huddle together as they played with the music while fiddling with the MAC computers and laptops that surrounded them. Johnny was even nodding his head to the music that filter through the speakers.

Justin walked up behind them clapping his hands together to grab their attention. They turned their heads and looking over at him brief before landing their eyes on Melanie as she stood shyly to the side.

“Hey, guys I want you to meet Melanie; she is going to be Johnny and I new executive assistant on this album. She is also the cousin of Sanaa Lathan.”

Melanie gave a small wave with a genuine smile,” It’s nice to meet you all.”

Justin pointed to one guy to the right of her wearing a backwards baseball cup over long black dreads while wearing a pair of headphones down around his neck,” This is Jerome, he goes back J-Roc. He has worked with Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Robin Thicke and other artist. So I definitely had to have him on my album.”

He reached out to shake her hand as she complied shaking it firmly. He gave a once over with a grin that danced lightly on his lips while he threw a glance over to the gentleman next to him,” And this here is the notorious Timbaland.”

Melanie shifted her eyes over to him and smiled. She knew much about Timbaland from his work with Missy Elliot, Keri Hilson and the late Aaliyah. She loved all their music and was a fan of his work. She felt honored to meet him, she took a hold of his hand as he held his out to shake hers,” Nice to meet you Miss Lady. Welcome to the team.”

“Thank you.”

She figured this wasn’t much of an interview, but for her get a tour of the place since it seemed like everyone was welcoming her aboard.

Then they turned to another man who was younger with thick black frames on his face,” Last, but not least this is James Fauntleroy he is my co-writer. He is the other half of my brain. He worked with me and Ciara on Love Sex and Magic also done work with Chris Brown and J. Cole”

“It’s really nice to meet you all it’s an honor.”

After spending time in the studio for a bit, Johnny gave her the rest of the tour of the building covering all three floors before ending up in his office on the third floor. She sat across from him as he sat in the chair beside her. She was guessing that was his way of making her feel more comfortable. As he asked her about herself, very basic and genetic before shifting into a more serious mood,” So, now for the job this really consist of you being able to multi-task, since you don’t have much experience in the music industry I will be having you shadow Justin’s personal assistant and also cousin Rachel and his best friend Trace. They have been with Justin since the start of his solo career. They are basically holding the very details of Justin’s music life from day to day. You have to be extremely organized and good at problem solving which is a must. “

Melanie nodded taking notes in her portfolio pad her hands shaking a bit. She could tell her anxiety pill had worn off. She continued to write quickly in hopes to keep her hands occupied.

” I will be completely honest with you. The only time you have to yourself is when Justin has time for himself, which working on this album is a lot of time, but once the promotion for the CD starts, it was will be completely non-existent the only time you sleep is when he sleeps and sometimes you may get luckily with that. You are basically always on call 24/7.  This job you are constantly on the go, wherever you are. Your phone is your best friend and it’s great to have two. Or a phone and a tablet.”

Melanie nodded, but taking it all in. From what she was gathering from the information he was spilling out was that she was going to constantly be busy and her personal life no longer existed once they launch the release of his album. She could feel herself being to perspire underneath her arms slowly

Johnny looked at her with a sigh,” If I can be honest with you. This job is overwhelming and can be very stressful. There will be times you want to quit; there will be times you want to choke everyone including Justin. He has gotten better over the years, but he is a perfectionist and sometimes that can be hard to work with.”

“No wander his music is amazing.” Melanie added

Johnny smirked,” That is true. Also another thing which is most important with Justin being in the public eye it is most important that any part of his private life that you may come across which is going to happen being with him all the time is confidential. The press will find some way to get a hold of you and get you to give them anything, anonymously of course.”

He continued to go on about with the detail of the job. The in’s and out’s along with naming some of the team members that she will later be adding a face too. As they concluded Johnny walked her back to the front of the building,  while handing her some confidentiality papers to sign and the usual new hire papers and light reading work with upcoming schedules.

Upon reaching the car and climbing inside Melanie clasped her shaking hands together as she took short breath as her heart was beating heavily against her chest. She could feel the tears slowly swelling in her eyes. She didn’t know if she could do this it seemed like so much, the little life she had was about to be consumed by another and so soon. She knew this was completely different and this was a job, but she couldn’t help, but to think maybe she was moving too fast. She grabbed her purse from the passenger seat and her hands violently shook the bag open and grabbed her prescription pills. After fighting with the child proof top she managed to open it popping two into her mouth and swallowing it down with her bottle water from that morning.

She leaned her head back against the head rest and took a few deep breaths as she tried to calm herself speaking quietly to herself..

 

” This is going to be good for me. This going to be good for me.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story