Christmas and New Years have gone and passed.

It was frantically the most depressing time in Melanie’s life, thus far.

The baby would have been a couple of months old now.

She cried for days.

 The morning of Christmas Eve, the pain was physically unbearable.

Sanaa and Josh own lives came to a halt for those two weeks. They canceled as many things as they could just one that at least one of them was there to keep an eye out on her. She never left the confines of her bedroom. They never really saw her physically even when bringing in something for her to eat. Each time, they could hear the snuffles underneath the mountain of covers, which was heart breaking, but also a relief that she hadn’t given up completely.

It was just a hard time.

In the meantime, Sanaa kept in contact with Justin. Justin couldn’t even imagine all that she had gone through. He didn’t know at times how she functions and thought maybe he had gotten in over his head with this one.

Maybe Rachel was right, his generous attribute was something he needed to check from time to time. This woman was completely broken inside, very fragile, but he couldn’t help to be motivated to help her through this time.

Rachel had several meetings set up to help Melanie transition into her spot, but informed there that he had allowed her to travel home for the holidays. The less Rachel knew the better right now; he didn’t want to give Rachel a reason to blow the whistle on this one.

He had to be honestly, he didn’t know what the hell it is about Melanie. He barely knew the woman. He had no idea what was her middle name, when her birthday was, what her hobbies were. He had nothing. He just had this feeling in his gut, that she had something. He just didn’t know what the something was, but he knew that he needed it.

He needed her around to figure it out.

But that was going to have to wait a minute.

While learning more about Melanie through Sanaa, Justin had another woman on his hands during the holidays. Jessica. She came to visit which was oddly perfect time because things in the studio started to slow down because everyone was gearing up for the holidays, a lot of flying out to visit family.

She stayed up until Christmas Eve and visited some of family up in North California and then came back for New Years. They had a private get together at a friend’s night club, along with some of their closest friends. He enjoyed his time with her; they had long heart felt conversations about the future of their relationship. He wanted to purpose something with her, but he wasn’t quite ready to be fully committed. The timing wasn’t quite perfect yet, but she insisted they just keep with the progress they were making and that it would fall into place.

He agreed that he would try.

After seeing her off to the airport earlier on in the day, Justin was now in the studio in the sound booth doing adlibs to a track as Tim and J-Roc work their magic on the sound board and Rachel sitting with Melanie as they sat and listened.

Justin had to admit he couldn’t keep his eyes off of her. As he sung he constantly kept his eyes on her until she could feel him watching her and he would close his eyes as if he was feeling the music, but in his reality he was trying to keep from getting caught.

“So, much won’t be going on with Justin right now. He might do a few interviews here and there and also show appears especially on the Jimmy Fallon show because they are close friends. He will probably say he is in the process of working on his album just so it can create a buzz. Once he starts doing that you will definitely see a pick-up in his schedule.”

Rachel explained quietly as they sat together on the leather couch in the studio. Melanie was grateful for Rachel’s comforting attitude and understanding. She helped Melanie ease slowly into her soon position, really giving her as much details as possible, but not overwhelming. She had a great way of explaining in the simplest of ways.

After a rough two weeks, she was feeling more assured at her new job. The things she really took from it were that it was all about open communication, details and organization. Which were all equally important with keeping up with things? Upon returning from the holiday break, she was equipped with a company cell phone and iPad to help her keep Justin’s schedule on the go and was given a laptop computer to have everything backed up on.

 Rachel sat with Melanie’s iPad in her lap as she flipped through screens, opening up the e-mail.

 “Also, you and Justin’s electronic devices are synced. So he gets whatever you update on the calendar. He gets whatever you get through your e-mails, which saves you time because that way you won’t have to forward anything to him. You can just mark things as urgent or important which lets him know it is something he needs to look at it, but it’s always great to remind though.”  

Melanie leaned in to check out the screen,” Wow, I didn’t know it could do all that.”

Rachel smiled at her warmly and nodded,” Yes, technology is quite amazing. It’s a big leap from organizing planners. No more ink and paper, which makes me happy. You don’t know how many back up planners I’ve had and the sheer panic when I’ve slipped a latte on it. Chao is not the word.”

They both laughed quietly and drew their attention up to the sound booth window as Justin’s voice flowed through the speakers. He was such a great artist that you couldn’t help to stop and admire a bit. He sung passionately into the music, his fingers flickering up and down to the sound of the melody as he closed his eyes concentrating on hitting the right note as he harmonized with his lead vocals. She loved the sound of the guitar that played in the background. It was definitely catchy she couldn’t help to bob her head and tap her foot to, which seemed to be what everyone in the room was doing as well…

Bitter sweet thing.

Could this be a dream

Or just the same nightmare that keeps me awake?

Feel it in my brain.

A tall shot of pain.

Pour a little up now for the love that we've made.

“He just loves what he does.” Rachel whispered.

Melanie continued to look on with a smile,” You can definitely tell.”

“He is also passionate about the people he surrounds himself with. He will definitely go through leaps and bounds for the ones he cares about and who they care about as well. I think if Justin wasn’t in the music industry he would definitely be some type of humanitarian or something. ” Rachel added with a solemn tone.

It caused Melanie to look back at her for a moment with wonder as to what she may have implied or for the reason why she would imply anything that came to her. Rachel just gave her a smile. Before Melanie could ask what she meant, Justin came out of the booth stretching and popping his joints.

He walked towards them and nudged his way in between them receiving a scoff from Rachel and a chuckle from Melanie. He threw his arms onto the back of the couch and looked at them both.

“So, what you ladies think so far?”

“It’s sounding good Jay loving the new sound.” Rachel responded. He smiled nudging her with his shoulder before looking over to Melanie.

“What about you?”

Melanie folded her hands in her lap and bite down on her bottom lip,” It’s definitely a different sound. You have progress over the years.”

Justin raised his eyebrow, removing his arm from around Rachel, giving her a look.

“Over the years huh? You follow my music?”

Melanie nodded,” I was a big Nsync fan, so I’ve kept in touch with you and JC music. You’ve grown musically each time I hear you. When you wrote Gone, I knew you would definitely be on the scene for years to come.”

Justin gave Rachel a glance before smiling humbly,” Thank you, I’m always looking to find something new about myself always exploring new territories.”

She nodded.

”As you should, you are an artist you are ever evolving in your craft.”

They smiled at each other for a few moments. Justin’s hand brushed against her hair as he nervously rubbed his fingertips together. Melanie nervously tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear as she ducked her head looking off. Rachel watched this interact between them quietly, saying a silent prayer that Justin didn’t get his feelings involved with this woman, but she had a feeling that her prayer maybe too late.

“Yo Jay, come listen to this playback.” Tim called out from his position in front of a lap top. Justin focused his attention back to the task at hand. He pushed himself up from the couch and made his way over.

After a few more hours everyone began to file out of the studio, calling it a night leaving only Justin, Rachel and Melanie in the studio. Rachel stretched out her legs and yawned for the tenth time in the hour. She pulled her watch around on her wrist as she glanced at the time,” I think it’s time that I head out. I think we crammed enough information in for one day.”

Melanie smiled nodding as she stretched out herself.

“Hey Justin, we are going to head out now.” Rachel called out to him as he was hunched over soundboard with a pair of head phones on. He yanked them down, swirling around in his chair while looking at the time on his watch as it read 1:30 a.m. He rubbed his eyes and yawned.

“Yeah I think I’m going to do that too. I just need a few moments to shut it down in here.” He pulled the headphones from around his neck and placed them on the table while shutting down the devices. Melanie stood to her feet and began to gather her things.

“I’ll wait for you. I need to call Sanaa for her to pick me up. She dropped me off today.” Melanie said as she pulled her phone from her purse and began to go through her contacts.

Rachel was standing by the door,” Where you headed?”

“Malibu.” Melanie replied.

“I’ll take her home. I live closer Rachel you live in the opposite direction.” Justin voiced as he continued to shut down things off.

Rachel opened her mouth to say something then just nodded as she threw up a wave as she pulled opened the door,” I’ll see you guys tomorrow. Be careful, text me when you all made it home safely. Goodnight.”

“Night.” Justin and Melanie called out in unison. Rachel walked out and the door closing behind her leaving them in silence. Justin moved around the room, turning off speakers, keyboards and microphones. Meanwhile, Melanie sat on the edge of the couch waiting patiently as she played with her newfound tablet.

“So, tell me how do you think you will like working for me?”

Melanie looked up meeting his eyes from across the room, she shrugged her shoulders,” I’m sure it will be completely different, but I think I may enjoy myself. You haven’t given me any red flags to think that you were going to be some melodramatic, egotistical heterosexual queen.”

Justin stopped in his tracks and doubled over in a hearty laugh,” Egotistical heterosexual queen? What the hell is that?”

Melanie shrugged with a smirk,” You know, self-absorbed straight male with queen like traits that could come off as a gay diva, but obviously love women.”

Justin shook his head in disbelief,” Wow, I don’t know how I should respond to that, but I am definitely not that. I try to remain as humble as possible. I personally don’t think I’m hard to work with, but I do have a lot of control over my career and I have to be honest I have a certain way I run my business, but once you learn that. It smooths sailing.

Melanie nodded in understanding, silence fell once again. Melanie went back to flipping through her tablet and Justin cut off the last of things.

“I’m alright I’m done here. You ready to go?” Justin asked as he dug down into his pants and grabbed his keys.

She nodded pushing up from her seat on the arm of the couch. They walked to the door together, Justin holding it open and allowing her to exit first. He cut off the light before closing the door behind him. They made their way down the hall and through a series of doors before meeting the pleasant breeze from the outside. They walked silent to his car, he jogged slightly ahead of her to open her door for her and held out a hand to help her climb into his SUV. She gave him a simple, placing her hand in his while stepping up on the support beam and sliding into the passenger.

“Thank you.” She whispered before he closed the door before. He walked back around to his side and hopping in, bringing the engine to life, backing out and throwing it into drive pulling out of the parking lot.

They sat in quiet while music played gently in the background. Melanie kept her eyes on the window looking at the night life of L.A. it was just as beautiful during the day as it was at night. She subconsciously tabbed her fingers against the case of her tablet to the music as it laid in her lap. Justin glanced over watching her for a moment before speaking.

“So, what kind of music do you like?”

She peeled her eyes from the night sky and leaned back into the soft leathered seat,” Well, I like a variety of music. Music is kind of my thing. I absolutely love jazz, reggae and alternative hip-hop and r&b, but I listen to anything that has soul to it, hidden meanings.”

Justin nodded as he slowly turned onto the ramp and merging onto the freeway,” Who do you listen to right now?’

“Um, well right now I love Janelle Monae, Miguel and Bob Marley.”

“Oh what do you know about Bob Marley?”

She chuckled running her fingers through her hair and tossing it to one side,” I know a good bit.”

 Justin coasted into the middle lane and steered the chair with one hand while he leaned his elbow against the center console that divided them. “Okay let’s play a game, I sing a song and you tell me what’s the title. Let’s see what you know”

Melanie raised her eyebrow, looking over his face to see if he was for real,” Are you serious?’

“Yeah, I want to see what you know. You have to know something if you going to be working with me.”

“True. Okay, I’ll do it.

“Alright let’s see…”

Justin pondered for a moment as he thought of the first song to sing. After a few minutes, he cleaned his throat,” Okay, I got one.”

“We’ll share the shelter of my single bed; we’ll share the same room, yeah! Jah provide the bread.” Justin sung softly.

“Easy, that would be is this love.”

“Ding, Ding, Ding. One point.”

She smiled proudly. Justin thought for a moment before singing again,” Rise up this morning', Smile with the rising' sun.”

“ Now that would be, three little birds.”

“Right again.”

They continued on like this for a few minutes, each one Melanie getting right without much efforts,” Okay, okay  clearly know about Bob Marley, which one of his many songs do you like, if you could pick just one.”

Melanie quiet for a moment thinking over his songs before choosing upon one,” Well, it’s not one of his most popular songs on the mainstream, but it’s called redemption song.”

Justin frown lines grew on his forehead,” I don’t think I’ve heard that, how does it go?”

“You want me to sing it?” Melanie questioned.

He chuckled and nodded waving his free hand,” Yeah, I just want to hear it. It’s no big deal. Just give me a little bit so I can see if I’ve heard it.”

Melanie sat for a moment; she wouldn’t lie and say it wasn’t a bit nerve wrecking to sing in front of him even if she wasn’t concerned about impressing him. Even though he may be Justin Timberlake he was still just a person, she told herself. She licked her lips and drew in a breath before singing...

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.

Have no fear for atomic energy,

'Cause none of them can stop the time.

How long shall they kill our prophets?

While we stand aside and look? Ooh!

Some say it's just a part of it:

We've got to fulfill de book.

 

Her voice faded out at the end leaving a tranquil silence. The quiet lasted a little longer than Melanie liked and she began to fiddle with her fingernails. She looked over Justin’s face as his eyes were fixated on the road. He licked his pink lips and flexed his fingers over the steering wheel. It was a few minutes before either said a word. The once tranquil silence became nervous and unsettling.

Out of nowhere Justin spoke,” Sing that again.”

She hesitated for moment and was going to refuse until his ocean blues meet her brown eyes as he asked her again to sing it once more. She complied singing the verse over a bit slowed down with her eyes closed and her hands pressed against her stomach. As she faded out of the last line, she opened her eyes to Justin staring at her as they sat at the red light. She didn’t even notice that had made it out of the freeway and was only a couple of streets away from the house.

“Can I ask you something?” Justin asked with a thoughtful tone in his voice.

Melanie shifted a bit and nodded in response.

“You are a music love child aren’t you?”

She sat confused not really sure how to answer the question,” What do you mean?”

The light turned green and Justin slowly accelerated from his stop position,” If there is something I’ve learned from all these years, there are three types of people when it comes to music. There are people who enjoy music, love music and are a music love child.”

“I didn’t know such categories existed.” Melanie retorted.

“Yeah, people that enjoy music are people who will listen to whatever makes them feel good. It’s not much thought in their selection. Then you have those who love music, all types, mostly people who have their favorite genres and they tend to stick to them, but are willing to listen to other things. Then there is the music love child.”

“Which I am you say?”

“Yes people that are music love child, have music sitting in the very bottom of their soul. They live and breathe music. They use and listen to anything that inspires them, they have no boundaries to what they listen to. Music is endless to them, like for me. I would consider myself in between love music and music child. I have no boundaries on what I will listen to, but I have boundaries on what I will do as far as in my career. I have soul, but you have like the old soul of music. You could leave a whole room still after singing something. You could leave people in their emotions. Every few artists can do that, take you on a rollercoaster of emotions, leave you completely wrecked in your emotions, but keep coming back from more.”

Melanie was speechless. She wasn’t sure how she was to take that. She did love music; music was safe haven along with the ocean water she had grown to love. Music was her favorite pass time, a time that never passed. Music was something, she could have pursued if she had wanted to before meeting Reggie. Sometimes she wonders what her life would before Reggie. Before her world fell apart.

“Well we are here.” Justin interrupted her thoughts as she focused her attention onto the large white home in front of her. He hopped out of the car and walked around to her door pulling it open for her.

“Oh, thank you for the ride home. “ Melanie spoke as she gathered her belongings onto herself. Once together she slid out with Justin holding her hand steadily until her feet hit the ground.

“It’s no problem. Let me walk you to the door.”

She nodded and walked ahead of him until he caught up beside her with his hands stuffed in his front pockets as she fished out her keys. She walked up the few little stairs until she made it to the door and pushed her key into the door unlocking and pushing it open before turning around and giving him a smile.

“Thanks again Justin. I had a fun ride home.”

He gave a soft smile,” Yeah I did too. I hope you feel more comfortable around me. I definitely want you to be good when working with me and now that I know that you are a music love child. You will be great to have around for my creative ideas. It’s always great to have an extra set of ears for music.”

She shrugged her shoulders with a slight chuckle,” I hope I will be useful.”

“I’m sure you will be, well I don’t want to keep you. Have a good night.” He reached out rubbing her arm and began to back away and soon turned on his heels and made his way back down the stairs.

“Good night, shoot me a text to let me know you made it home self.” She called out.

“Sure thing.” He called from his car before hopping in and throwing the engine on and backing out.

Melanie turned around walking through the door and closing it behind her with a turn of the lock. She turned around pressing her back against the door as she let out a breath she didn’t know she had and placing her hand on her chest feeling her heart beating against her chest.

She shook her head and pushed back from the door and made her way through the house and up the stairs. As she reached the top, her cousin bed room opened up and out came Josh in his sweat pants and ruffled hair. He yawned scratching his chest oblivious to Melanie’s presence until she moved towards her bedroom door starling him.

“Oh shit, Mel I didn’t see you there scared the shit out of me.”

She pouted a bit,” I’m sorry. I didn’t wake you did I by coming in?”

“Nah, I was headed down for water. What time is it?

She pulled her phone from her pocket and looked down at the lit screen,” 2.”

“Oh wow, late night at work? Wait, how did you get home?” He questioned realizing neither him nor Sanaa got a phone call from her.

“Oh, Justin dropped me off.”

“Really? He lives the opposite direction of here.” Josh mumbled only drawing a raised eyebrow from Melanie. She could have sworn he lived closer that’s why he offered to drop her off instead of Rachel.

“Well anyways, you better get some sleep. We will see you in the morning. Good night” He smiled while rubbing his head and heading down the stairs.

“Night.” Melanie quietly called back while pushing the door to her room open and stepping inside closing it quietly behind her.

She pulled her bag from around her shoulder and tossed it into a nearby chair and placed her tablet on the dresser before dragging herself to the bathroom as she began to yawn. She was starting to feel exhausted and it was late. She flicked on the light to the bathroom and walked over to the shower turning it on and letting it run as she began to strip out of her clothes. She grabbed her hair tie from around her wrist and pulled her hair into a tight bun on the top of her head and stepped in the shower.

As the hot water splashed against her skin, she let out a deep sigh of relief. She swirled around slowly letting the water coat the rest of her body. She splashed some water onto her face and stood in the flow of the water. She allowed her thoughts to wonder over the day and all that was said until her thought slowed down when they came upon the car ride home.

A slow grin danced on her lips as reminisced on the song trivial with Justin. His face flashed through her thoughts, the smile that lit up his face, and the deep frown lines that were imprinted on his forehead whenever he was in deep thought. The way his eyes settled on her for moments at a time when they were alternating from the road to her. He had the bluest of eyes, like ocean blue. They sparkled whenever he laughed which was contagious. It definitely put a smile on her face whenever he did.

Melanie shook her head and exhaled,” Stop it Melanie.”

Here she was over here daydreaming about her boss. Justin Timberlake was her boss, point blank. She yawned as she hurriedly finished her shower and shut off the water. Once she got out and dried, she lotion her body then threw on an oversized t-shirt, pair of pants and tube socks pulled up to her knees. She walked over to her bed flicking off the light in the process and drew back the covers and climbed inside. Once settled in she placed her phone on the charger beside her bed.

She pulled her hair out of the ponytail rubbing her scalp while untangling her hair from the bun. She adjusted her pillows and sunk down into her bed closing her eyes with a deep sigh of release.

Buzz, Buzz.

She opened up her eyes as her cell phone screen lit up the ceiling. She grabbed it from its place on the end table and read the screen:

J.Timb: Made it home. Good Night Music Love Child. J

Melanie couldn’t help, but grin as she replied back.

I’m glad. Good night Mr. Timberlake.

As she was about to sit her phone back down, it buzzed again.

J. Timb: Oh, no we are past formalities. You serenaded me tonight. So it’s Justin. ;) Night.

She laughed to herself as she sung the last part in her head. She could hear him saying it just like in his ‘Like I love you.’ Song. She placed the phone down and snuggled down into the bed, wearing a smile that she hadn’t for a long time.

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story