Chapter 35 – This Means War


Five days later


Lance smiled as he watched the intense look of concentration on his mother's face.

“And you wrap it around like this,” Adeline said to her, exaggerating her hand motions as she wrapped a piece of yarn around a knitting needle.

“Like this?” Diane said, doing it herself.

“No, you're wrapping it the wrong way,” Addy responded. “Let me show you one more time.”

Lance looked over at his father, who was sitting parallel to him in the second recliner, and rolled his eyes as he smiled and rocked himself in the recliner.

“Oh phooey,” Diane finally said, shoving her own knitting needles and yarn towards Addy. “Forget this. I'll keep buying my sweaters at the Gap.”

“That was ten minutes,” Lance said, looking at his father. “I believe you owe me twenty bucks, pop.”

“You couldn't have held out for ten more minutes, Diane?” Jim asked, reaching into his back pocket for his wallet.

Addy and Lance both chuckled, and she bundled the forgotten needles and yarn together, lowering them into the basket at her feet. She picked up the long circular needle connected to several inches of knitted blanket fabric, pulling off a workable length of yarn before setting it in her lap and immediately beginning to work the needles.

“It's so easy,” she said, glancing over at her mother-in-law briefly before settling her eyes again on her project. “The problem is that it's so complicated to explain.”

“You can't teach this old dog new tricks, dear,” Diane replied. “But thank you for trying. And I think what you're working on is beautiful. Liam will absolutely love it.”

“Speaking of, how's that room coming along, son?” Jim asked, looking over at Lance.

“Come with me, I'll show you,” Lance responded, standing up out of his chair.

The men headed toward the stairs, looking back at the women.

“Are you two coming?” Jim asked.

“It takes me ten minutes to stand,” Addy said, “so no way.”

“You two go,” Diane said. “I'll go see it before we leave in a few hours.”

Lance was the first to step foot on the staircase, turning around to walk backwards and look at his father as he went up.

“Give me my money,” he said. When he got a raising of eyebrows in return, he smiled. “Please and thank you.”

“Forgetting your Southern hospitality, boy,” Jim said, handing over the money. “I brought you into this world, I'll take you right back out of it.”

Addy and Diane both laughed as the men disappeared upstairs.

“Like father, like son,” Diane said.

“Oh Lord, please don't say that,” Addy said, shooting a worried look at her mother-in-law. “I can not handle a smaller version of him.”

Diane laughed. “Do you think you're ready?”

“I don't think I'll ever be ready for this,” Addy responded, still clicking the needles together. “This is one time I wish more than ever that my mother was around. I don't think I can do this by myself.”

“You don't have to,” Diane said, looking at her daughter-in-law. “Addy, you have motherly instincts. You have a gift – you know how to take care of people.”

Adeline stopped knitting and looked at her.

“Three years ago,” Diane continued, “when you came to Lance, he was a wreck, dear. Mackenzie stole his heart and broke it into half a million pieces when she left. I think he always knew she wasn't the right girl for him deep down, but she was the only one he was willing to give so much of himself to. I've always believed that God works in mysterious ways. I was heartbroken for my son when his engagement fell apart – not because I was all that crazy about Kenzie myself, but because he was hurting so much. I prayed for his happiness day in and day out, asking God to open a window since He closed a door for Lance. You were that window, Addy.”

Diane reached out next to her and grabbed Addy's arm, giving it a squeeze.

“God knew you two would cross paths. Lance was meant to be with you, not Mackenzie. Unfortunately, it meant you two had to suffer through broken hearts to get there – but that was how God opened you up to each other. You came to Lance at a time when he needed you most...to show him that there was someone who would still take care of him, who would still put up with him when he was at his worst, who would care for him – and eventually, love him – unconditionally.”

“Lance came to me when I needed him the most,” Addy said. “I felt unloved and unwanted, and utterly useless after I lost my daughter. Like I couldn't do anything right, even if it was something I was supposed to be able to do naturally like have a baby. I wasn't useless to him – he needed me. Even if it was for the most basic, simple things, he still made it feel like he couldn't manage without me. He cared about me, he wanted to have me around, and he knew about my problems but he still loved me – problems and all.”

“Because he loves you for who you are and the happiness you bring him,” Diane said. “Not for the things you can or can't give him. I would never in a million years diminish the loss of your daughter – but it is what makes you such a beautiful person, Addy. I can never take the place of your mother, and I would never try...but you are no different than one of my own. I am so proud to call you my daughter.”


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Wow,” Jim said, walking into the room and looking around. The room he had once seen bare in pictures, in an ugly, discolored shade of eggshell white, had been completely transformed and restored. “This looks great, son.”

“It's not quite finished,” Lance said, looking over the things that still needed to be done – furniture to put together, a few clothing and toy gifts that had been given to them put away, and more decorations hung on the wall. “But it's getting there.”

“I don't know, looks like you're pretty prepared to me.”

Lance shoved his hands in his jean pockets, leaning against the wall by the door.

“But am I, dad?” he asked.

Jim looked over his shoulder, a brief smile coming to his face.

“Ahh,” he said, nodding. “First-time father fears.”

“I guess it's nothing you haven't experienced before, huh?”

“Every man does, son,” Jim said.

“I thought I was ready for this,” Lance said. “I'm 33 years old – I should be ready for this. And now...I don't think I have a clue what I'm doing.”

“Babies don't come with an instruction book, Lance,” Jim said. “Nobody has a clue what they're doing at first. But you learn.”

“I'm not worried about things like changing diapers and making bottles and giving baths, dad. I'm worried about the other stuff – what if I let my family down? What if I can't give them everything they need? What if I can't keep them safe? Everything's such a mess right now.”

Jim paused, before turning his body to face Lance.

“You haven't failed yet, have you?” he asked.

“I guess I haven't,” Lance said hesitantly.

“We all fail at some point in life, son,” Jim said. “But the most important thing about failing is to be a man and acknowledge that you can do better next time. Your bills are paid, you have a beautiful new house, and your wife is happy and healthy. How could you think you've already failed?”

“So I guess I'm freaking out for nothing?” Lance said with a slight smile.

“Not for nothing,” Jim responded. “I'd be more concerned about you if you weren't already 'freaking out'.”

The two men paused silently for a few moments as Jim looked around the room, before finally looking over at Lance again.

“I'm proud of you,” he said.

Lance smiled. “Thanks, dad.”


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Are you sure you can't stay one more day?”

Adeline stood by Lance's parents as the two men brought the last suitcase down from the stairs, setting them by the door.

“I wish we could, dear,” Diane said to Addy. “We've had such a wonderful time – but work and life calls.”

“I'm going to miss you, though,” Addy said. “It's been nice having you around.”

“Oh, I'm going to miss you, too,” Diane said, reaching to give Addy a hug. “It feels like it's been so long since we've seen y'all, and you've gotten so big...”

“Don't say that mom,” Lance said with a smile. “She'll hurt you.”

“I won't hurt her,” Addy said. “When she says it, she means well; she's a woman, she knows. When you say it, it's offensive.”

Lance's mouth dropped open and he scoffed, looking at his father.

“You've arrived at marriage,” Jim said. “Welcome. Enjoy your stay...it's a long one.”

“Oh, you stop,” Diane said, watching as her husband laughed.

“We'd better get this show on the road,” Jim said, glancing at his watch. “Our flight leaves in about an hour.”

Addy couldn't help but feel herself tear up as Lance walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her. Having in-laws that felt more like biological parents to her was something to treasure, and she hated to say goodbye – even if she knew they were coming back next month for Christmas.

“We'll be back before you know it,” Diane said, seemingly sensing Addy's sadness. “Christmas will come before you can snap your fingers – and so will that baby.”

“Don't jinx us, mom,” Lance said. “I still need time to finish a few things.”

“You'll get it all taken care of,” she said.

Diane and Jim each hugged Addy and Lance before Jim lifted the last suitcase in his hand, gently ushering his wife out the door.

“We'll miss you guys,” Diane said. “Take care of yourself – and don't have that baby before our flight lands on the 23rd.”

Addy chuckled. “I'll try.”

“We love you.”

After a few last hugs, they finally closed the door behind themselves, and Lance sighed.

“The holiday's over I guess,” he said. “Back to work.”

“I'm going to miss having them in the house,” Addy responded. “It was so nice.”

“When my parents are old and senile and they have to move in with us, I'll remember you said that,” he replied.

She chuckled as he released her from his arms and started to walk away. She was only a few steps behind him when a dull stabbing pain hit her in the back and she grabbed his arm in response.

“What's wrong?” he asked.

“Nothing,” she said, feeling the pain start to subside quickly. “It caught me off guard this time, that's all.”

“Maybe I shouldn't go to work today,” he said.

“Don't start that again,” she said. “Lance, I'm fine. They're Braxton-Hicks contractions. They're not even real ones.”

“They look pretty damn real to me,” he said.

“You're a boy, what do you know?” she asked, smiling slightly.

“I'm not joking, Ad,” he said. “I don't want to leave you here alone when you're feeling like this.”

“I can handle this,” she said. “Lance, my body knows what it's doing.”

“I wish Mel was here,” Lance said, still feeling uneasy.

“I'm glad she's not. They're having a great time in Pennsylvania. She needed to get away.”

“Then let me call Joey or Kelly over.”

“No!” she said, raising her voice slightly. “Would you trust me for once? I'm fine.”

She smiled when he looked at her, noticing his concern.

“I'll be fine,” she said. “You have a show to do in thirty minutes. I'll go take a nice, warm bath, then lay on the couch with a book and a movie, and relax. That always helps.”

He sighed, still hesitant. “Are you sure?”

Get out,” she said. “Go to work. I'll be fine.”

“Okay, okay,” he said, finally smiling. “You don't have to kick me out. I'm leaving.”

She watched him walk over to the door, grabbing his coat and scarf to bundle up against the cold from the snow that was still on the ground. More had fallen over the weekend and winter was officially underway in New York.

“Are you sure you don't--”

“Lance!”

“Okay,” he said, chuckling. “I'll be home around seven. Call me if you need me.”

“I won't,” she said. “Get the hell out of my house.”

He smiled. “Same Addy, as always.”

“You expected me to change?” she asked with a smile.

“Never. I want you just the way you are.” He reached over and grabbed her hand, pulling her towards him. He kissed her quickly. “I'll see you tonight. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

“Addy,” he said, pointing his finger at her. “Call me if you need me. I'm serious.”

“I will,” she said. “Go away. Do your show.”

He kissed her again before opening the door and giving her a quick smile before he left, letting her shut the door behind him.

She smiled as she briefly leaned against the door. The smile was short-lived; another pain shot down her back and she placed her hand in the spot and winced.

“Ouch,” she said to herself, releasing a breath through her mouth. “Breathe, Addy. Breathe.”

She tried not to worry herself. The pains were distracting, but not debilitating. In fact, they didn't feel a lot different from when the baby would get a little rowdy inside of her and kick a little too hard, which happened a lot now that he was running out of room and he would inevitably kick a rib or an internal organ.

“You have to settle down in there,” she said, placing a hand on her stomach as the pain started to die down. “The last thing I want is for your daddy to wrap me in bubble wrap or quit his job to stay home with us all day.”

A bath was what she needed after all. She headed off to the bathroom, immediately leaning down to run the water. She dusted a few drops of bath oil in, letting the scent permeate the room as it hit the hot water. She let the bath fill, sinking in slowly once all her clothes were off.

The minute the water hit her muscles, she felt herself relax. She dunked her hair below the water and quickly washed her hair before she sunk down into the tub, letting her eyes close.

She had no idea that it would work so well to relax her enough to put her to sleep. She didn't know how long she had spent asleep, but she woke up in time for the water to start turning lukewarm. By the time she lifted herself out of her bath, the back pain had subsided – but tired after the long day and having company over all weekend, she was ready for laying on the couch for some relaxation – as she had promised him.

She quickly dried herself off and pulled on a fresh t-shirt and pair of pajama pants, knowing that she wouldn't be going anywhere tonight. She planned to catch up on her old episodes of her DVR'ed shows and lay down with a blanket and a good book – hopefully falling asleep in Lance's arms that night after he got home.

She wrapped her wet hair in the towel and piled it on top of her head, stepping out of the bathroom barefooted onto the cold hardwood floors. Despite the fact that Lance had kicked on the heat before he left the house, it was chilly after her bath, and she could feel goosebumps cover her bare arms.

She stood in front of the TV for a moment, grabbing the remote and turning it to the first decent thing she found – a Law and Order marathon. By now, she was more than a little tired of watching them solve complicated cases in less than an hour, but over the course of her eight-month “house arrest”, she had become hooked. Throwing the remote on the couch for later, she turned to walk into the kitchen. The pain had been too bad for most of the morning for her to feel like eating, but by now her stomach was starting to protest.

Every time she opened the refrigerator, she remembered one of the best advantages to pregnancy – the ability to eat almost anything you wanted, with slightly less guilt. She reached for the chocolate syrup before opening the freezer and grabbing the pint of ice cream. She pulled a bowl out of the cabinet and an ice cream scoop out of the drawer, already looking forward to the evening.

“A little mid-evening snack?”

She was in the process of putting the first scoop in the bowl when she heard the voice. She was able to shriek loudly before she felt a hand clamp over her mouth tightly, feeling a hard object against her temple.

“We meet again, Addy,” Marc said, leaning over her shoulder to look at her. “I've been looking forward to this for a long time.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris lance