Part 1: Inspiration

 

August 1st, 2:00 p.m., Los Angeles

 

Justin Timberlake was on break from a photo-shoot for Esquire magazine. This was his third cover in his career.  The charade bored him sometimes.  Everyone fussed for one simple reason: to make him look good on camera. It didn’t take much, in his opinion. All he had to do was show up clean shaven and dress in a suit and tie. The ladies loved that. Can this be over? I want to get away from these superficial people.

 

His phone buzzed. It was Marissa Whitlow, one of MTV’s senior executives. Why would she call? I thought I told Trace to talk to them about performing for this year’s show.

“Hello?”

“Hey Justin. It’s Marissa from MTV. How are you?”

“Hey. I’m doing alright. What’s happening?”

“Well, my comrades and I have been planning the Video Music Awards. We’d like to give you a special award this year. A lifetime achievement award if you will. The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award.”

Wow. I don’t deserve to be mentioned in the same category. He’s a legend. “Whoa. Thank you. So, what does that mean for the show?”

“We’ll give you 15 minutes to perform. You can use that timeframe however you choose: the songs, the dancers, and the arrangement. We just provide the venue.”

How in the hell am I supposed to fill 15 minutes in an award show? Damn, I haven’t performed that long in that kind of venue before. “I’ll be there. When is it again?”

“August 25th at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.”

“Sounds good. Thank you again for this great honor. I’m floored y’all think I’m that good.”

“Yes, you are. You’ve had a notable career and MTV wants to celebrate that. We’ll be in touch.”

“Have a good evening, Marissa.”

“You, too, Justin” They hung up.

 

I have to invite the guys. I wouldn’t be here without them. It had been 10 years since he and his friends JC, Lance, Joey and Chris shared the stage as pop super group NSYNC. Yet he knew this occasion wouldn’t be complete without them. Together they had accomplished great things: escaping a greedy manager and overbearing record company, 2.4 million albums sold in one day, sold out world tours, and legions of fans. Their biggest accomplishment, though, was their friendship. He spent every day with those guys, traveling the world and doing what they loved: entertaining people. That experience bonded them together like family; no one else would understand what happened.

 

In 2002, he defected from the group to embark on a solo career. Record executives had been whispering in his ear for the previous year that they thought he could make it on his own. Greedy for more, he seized the opportunity. Little did he know it would be the group’s downfall. For a while he didn’t care, drunk on power, glory and fame. Several years of animosity followed. The group got together for different occasions, but the dynamic wasn’t the same. Then in 2011, Joey suggested all of them surprise Chris for his 40th birthday. That night, the quintet aired out their grievances. They all agreed to move on and spent the remainder laughing and reminiscing about yesteryears gone by.

 

Since then, his relationship with each guy was on better terms. He talked to Chris the most often. Regardless, he hoped everyone would say yes to a reunion performance if he asked. Was it logistically possible? They’d have to clear out five different schedules for a week of rehearsal plus rehearsal time for his solo material and finish out his tour with Jay-Z. Even so, did they still have the chemistry? Could they pull off a performance at the caliber they were 10 years ago? They were older, which meant they moved a little slower. Still, he had a feeling even a mediocre performance could outdo the current boybands on the scene. This has to happen. It’s time. It’ll be fun to sing together again.

 

“Hey Justin! Break time’s over!” Trace, his best friend and personal assistant, announced; thus, snapping his thoughts back into reality.

He inwardly rolled his eyes. Back to work. Guess this can wait.

9:00 p.m., Justin’s LA mansion

 

He’d been tinkering on the keyboard for an half an hour to decompress from his busy day. JC and I used to have keyboard duels when we recorded Celebrity. Justin smiled at the memory. When trying to come up with melodies for the album, the duo would come up with competing melodies to see if any would stick. Usually improvised and spontaneous, it helped fuel creativity for the eventual songs. JC wrote a song for NSYNC on piano alone, but it didn’t make the final cut. ‘It was a shame, because the song was indicative of his friend’s talent. Speaking of, I need to call him about this reunion. He hit JC’s name in his contact list.

 

“Hello?”

“Hey J, it’s Justin.”

“Hey man, how you doing?”

“Good. How full is your schedule this month?” Justin asked.

“Ummm, kind of. What’s up?”

“MTV is giving me this career award at the VMAs. It’s called the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. NSYNC had a big chunk of our careers on MTV and I’d like to get the group back together for this.”

JC gasped. “Oh, wow. Congratulations! What are you thinking the group would do?”

“MTV is giving me 15 minutes to perform. I’d like some of that to include us. I don’t know how long yet because that would be decided if this happens.”

“Yeah, man. If you want me there and everyone else says yes, of course I’m in.”

“I can’t do this without you, JC.  It wouldn’t be the same if anyone was missing.”

“Have you asked anyone else?”

“Not yet. You’re the first, actually. I plan on asking everyone personally. And please, keep this a secret for now.”

“You got it.”

“I want it. I’ll do whatever it takes.” Justin crooned.

JC chuckled. “Wow, I totally forgot about that song. Anyway, keep me posted on what happens.”

“Of course. I’ll talk to you soon, bro.”

 

Next, he thought of Chris. Despite the decade age difference, they were great friends. They both liked golfing and motorcycles. More than that, Justin saw him as a mentor figure. Underneath the humor was a thoughtful man who struggled to get through many hardships. Now he didn’t have to worry about money. If anyone deserved that, it was Chris. Even years later, Chris would tell Justin that he still had that survival mindset because it had been ingrained in him. They had spoken on the phone about a week earlier. Regardless, he had to keep his vow to ask each guy personally.

 

“Hello?”

“Hey, Chris. I got some good news.”

“Oh, really? What is it?”

“MTV called me today. They told me they want to give an award called the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the VMAs.”

“Dude!” Chris exclaimed. “That is so awesome. I’m so excited for you. Is it for your whole career?”

“Justin nodded. Yes, I think so. They’re giving me 15 minutes to perform that night. MTV was a huge part of NSYNC’s career as well. So, I would like to get everyone back together to join me on stage to perform.”

“Cool. I’d be down in a heartbeat. Have you thought about what we would do?”

“Not yet. That’ll come if we work this thing out. JC has already said yes if everyone else is in.”

“Then you have two ‘yeses’. Do you need me to spread the news about the award?”

“No.” Justin replied. “I want to talk to everyone personally about it.”

“Ah, okay. I’ll be honored to share the stage with you that night. Daww, my baby brother’s all group up!”

The younger man laughed. “Shush, you. I’m surprised they wanted to give me this. The mere mention of Michael’s name and mine in the same sentence… I’m not so sure I deserve that accolade.”

“Sure you do, Justin; you’ve had a remarkable career in 20 years.”

Not to MJ’s caliber, though. “I suppose so. I have to make some more phone calls.”

“Okay. Good to talk to you, Justin. Hope this works out; it would be fun to get the group together again.”

“Same to you, brother. I hope it does, too. I miss us together. I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Later.”

 

Justin then called Lance and Joey. Both went to voicemail. He wasn’t surprised; they had their own obligations as he had his. He left messages and hung up. I hope they say yes. I’m not as close to either of them but it wouldn’t be the same without their crazy energy and off the wall antics. Oh, I wonder if Johnny knows?

 

Johnny Wright had been NSYNC’s manager and remained his throughout his solo career,  He trusted Johnny; they had a close working relationship. He was honest and direct. Never secretive like Lou Pearlman. He was supportive of his client’s decisions, but would raise concerns if he thought Justin might be veering in the wrong direction.

 

His phone buzzed again. It was Johnny. Speak of the devil. How did he know I was thinking about him?

“Hello?”

“Hey award winner!” Johnny greeted.

“Oh, so you’ve heard.” Justin replied flatly.

“Yeah, of course! Congratulations! Aren’t you excited?”

“I don’t know. It feels surreal. I feel like mine and MJ’s name shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence.”

“Well, a lot of people think so. Have you thought about the performance yet?”

Justin smiled. “I got ideas brewing. I’ll tell you at the meeting tomorrow.”

“Fair enough. That was going to be my next question.”

“Of course I’m coming. I never miss a meeting.”

“10 a.m. sharp.”

“Deal. I’ll see you then”

 

August 2nd, 10:00 a.m., Wright Entertainment Group office

 

“So, what’s your big idea, Mr. JT?” Johnny asked while tapping his pen on his desk.

“I want to get *NSYNC back together for this performance, Johnny.”

His manager smiled. “Oh, do you?.”

“It wouldn’t feel right without them. They were such a big influence on me and helped me get here. Half of my moonmen are with them.”

“Have you asked everyone?”

“JC and Chris. They both said they would if everyone else said yes. I haven’t been able to ask Lance and Joey yet.” He sighed. “I’m not sure if it’ll happen, though. Getting five schedules clear for the same night, let alone the week of rehearsal time we’d need prior to the performance, would be a pain in ass and a half.”

 “You’re Justin Timberlake. I think we can make it work. I’ll help coordinate things if need be. I think it would be a great idea.”

“It’s still a work in progress, so please don’t let that information leave this room.” Justin instructed.

“Understood. I’d like to see them again, too. It’s been several years. Also, you have to consider you have to plan and rehearse your own show on top of that.”

“That’s why I have you.”

“Touche, Justin.  This month will be busy but we can do it.”

 

Lance and Joey returned this calls later that day. Both of them expressed interest in participating, but had to do some rearranging in their schedule to make it happen. Afterwards, Justin sent out a group text indicating he’d gotten tentative answers and that he needed definite answers ASAP so he could make plans.

 

The next couple weeks were hectic. Justin and his crew traveled to several different cities for the end of the tour. In between, plans for his solo performance started coming together. He would perform hits such as “Cry Me A River”, “Rock Your Body”, “Lovestoned”, “Suit and Tie” and his new single “Take Back The Night”. He left time for the proposed reunion but also had an alternate plan in case it fell through.

August 10th, 5:00 p.m., Boston

 

“So it’s a definite yes from you?” Justin asked Lance on the phone.

“It’s a hell yes, bro.” Lance replied.

They both laughed. “As a thank you, I’d like to invite you to my show with Jay-Z that Friday night in Miami. It’s the last night of that tour.”

“Well, sure. But I ain’t paying $500 to watch you shake your ass for an hour and a half.” Lance teased with an augmented Southern accent.

Justin laughed. He expected nothing less of his friend. He knew Lance and the others would knock him off his high horse if they had to. “Don’t worry. I’ll hook you up with VIP passes. It’s not a problem.”

Lance grinned. “I just had to razz you some, Justin. I’ve known you since you were a Pee Wee!”

“HEY! I wasn’t that young!”

“Well, okay. Little League age.  Could you get a pass for Michael, too?”

“Not a problem, Lance. He’s more than welcome to come.”

“Awesome. Thank you. I’m looking forward to the show. You’ll kill it.”

“Thanks and you’re welcome. I’ll have to up my A game since you guys will be there.”

 

Now, all I need is a yes from Joey. Lance and Chris had said yes to the show; JC couldn’t come until Sunday morning. He was actually taking an overnight flight Saturday evening into the morning. He wouldn’t be surprised if JC was late. Just then, his phone buzzed again. How convenient. The odds are in my favor today.

 

“Hey yo, Timberlake” Joey said.

“Hey! Do you have an answer for me?” Justin asked.

“When and where?”

If it wasn’t you, I’d interpret that line differently. “I’d like us to meet at 10 a.m. Sunday at Lakeshore studios.”

“What’s that?”

“It’s an old rehearsal studio. It’s not in a well-known part of town so we shouldn’t be spotted. Also, I’d like to invite you to my last show in Miami. Lance and Chris will be there.”

“Hell! That sounds like a party to me.” Joey replied. “This month will be awesome. It’ll be fun to get everyone together again.”

“If we don’t kill each other first.”

“As long as you don’t slap my meatball Italian ass again, we’re good.”

Justin started laughing so hard he got questioning stares from others around him. “Okay, promise.”

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story