Author's Chapter Notes:
Merry Christmas everyone!
When Justin opened his eyes, he stared at the clean white ceiling in confusion. Where was he and what happened? 
"Hey man," a voice said next to him. 
"Chris?" Justin whispered, his voice wavering. 
He turned his head and saw his best friend sitting next to him. Justin looked around. He was in a hospital. But where? And why?
"Where am I?" 
"Back in the states. Back in Camp Lejeune." 
"What!" Justin exclaimed trying to sit up but his body screamed at him in protest.  
"Settle down please Justin," Chris said putting a reassuring hand on his friends shoulder. 
Justin closed his eyes and all he saw was a bright light, an explosion. "What happened?" He opened his eyes turning his head to stare at his friend. 
Chris rubbed the back of his head, moving uncomfortably in his chair. "Shit.... "
"Just tell it to me straight Chris." 
"They threw a grenade towards us. It knocked us all down." 
Justin swallowed thickly listening to his friend. 
"I'm so sorry Justin. But you lost your left leg." There. He had said it. Chris immediately put his head into his hands and sniffed. 
Taking a deep breath Justin let Chris's words sink in. He looked down his body and could see a difference in the way the blanket laid on his legs. Oh my god, he actually lost his leg. Fat, salty tears rolled down his cheeks. 
Chris stood up and placed his hand on Justin's shoulder, squeezing it in support. With a shaky hand, Justin pulled the blankets back and stared at what was left of his leg. A stump, he thought. Closing his eyes he tried to remember what happened, but nothing was coming back. It was all a blur. 
"I'm done for, Justin muttered laying back and closing his eyes. 
"You're not done for Justin. They have good prosthetic legs now. It will be like nothing had happened," Chris said trying to reassure him. 
"Chris, I can't go back. I'm done with being a marine." 
"That's crap and you know it," Chris snapped. "Once a marine always a marine. Don't even fucking say that shit man." 
"I...Chris." 
"Yes, you lost your leg, but you're still alive Justin." 
He closed his eyes again and this time he remembered something. It was the last thing he saw before he must have blacked out. Jc getting shot. His eyes opened in a panic.
"Josh?"
"He's fine, J."
"He got shot. I remember."
"Yes. But Devon got the bullet out. He is doing fine."
Justin sighed with relief. "I don't understand. What are you doing back here too? Are you hurt?"
"I'm not hurt. They want to reassemble a new team. We lost Brett and Mark that night. There's just you, me and Chad left."
"You and Chad," Justin corrected. 
"Once they get a new team, we will go back over."
"What am I suppose to do, Chris?"
"Get better. Lots of therapy."
"And then what?"
"Listen. We said after this tour we were going to be done. You're just done almost a year sooner than you thought. So when you're up and running again you can figure out what you want to do.  You can work on base. You're still a Marine, Justin."
"I guess," he replied, picking at the blanket. "Where's Josh?"
"Still there."
Justin turned and looked at Chris in concern. "What do you mean he's still there?"
"Devon took the bullet out and he was back on his feet in a few hours. The army needed him to stay."
"But he was hurt." 
"You know as well as I do that they don't send you home for a little wound like that, especially since he was back on his feet so fast."
Placing his face in his hands, Justin rubbed his face in frustration. 
"Promise me something, Chris."
"Anything."
"Two things really."
Chris laughed. "Now you're pushing it."
Justin smiled, then turned serious. 
"When you go back, stay safe."
"You know I'll try."
"And find Josh and make sure he's ok. Tell him I'm fine and help keep him safe. Please."
"You got it, man. I'll do my best."
"Thanks," Justin whispered closing his eyes. 
"Just hang in there Justin," Chris said standing up. 
"Is Chad in the states?"
"No he's still there. I'm here to help assemble the new team and he's there waiting."
"He's still there?" Justin said opening his eyes and turning his face to looks at his friends. 
"Oh come on Justin," Chris exclaimed rolling his eyes. 
"What? You don't know if..."
"You both scared the shit out of him the last time. He learned his lesson."
He won't bother Jc."
"He could get drunk..."
"Justin, knock it off." 
"He needs to come home to me."
"He will come home to you."
"Just get back there and find my boyfriend."
"You are a protective ass you know that," Chris said shaking his head, but smirking. "Shouldn't you be wanting my safety first? I am your best friend you know."
"Chris you know I love you and want you safe," Justin said smiling. "But I'm not in love with you or having sex with you."
"But I'm a good catch. You would be lucky to have me. So how good is Jc in bed?"
"Never really have had sex in a bed so I don't know," Justin said smirking.
"Smartass," Chris said shaking his head. 
"I learned from the best." Justin yawned and put his head against the pillow. 
"Get some more sleep. I'll come back soon."
"You better."
Chris smiled and pulled the blanket up and kissed his forehead. "Night sweetheart."
"You're not Jc," Justin said laughing. 
"No but I'm just as cute," Chris said heading for the door. 
"Mmm, mmm."
Justin closed his eyes and tried falling to sleep, but every time he closed his eyes he saw Jc. So he just laid in the bed staring at the ceiling thinking. 
"Gunnery Timberlake, why aren't you resting?" A nurse said coming in. 
"I'm resting," Justin replied rolling his eyes. 
"Have you slept at all?" 
"Every time I close my eyes I'm back there." 
"I can get someone for you to talk to."
"No I'll be ok." 
"It might help you." 
"The only thing that will help me is getting my leg back and seeing my partner." 
"Where's your partner? I could find him for you." 
"He's a doctor and in Afghanistan." 
"Oh," she said with a frown.
"When do I start therapy?" 
"In a few days. You need to make sure you're fit for it."  
Justin nodded his head. "I'll rest."
"Good. I'll be bringing you lunch soon."
The nurse left, leaving Justin to try to go back to sleep. It took a while, but he was able to finally fall asleep. 

Two days later Justin was sitting on the edge of his bed staring at his stump, as he liked to call it. There was a soft knock on the door. 
"Yea?"
Chris walked in, dressed in his full desert uniform. "Hey man."
"You're heading back?"
"Yes the team has picked we head out this afternoon."
Justin nodded his head.
"When do you start therapy?"
"Another day or so."
"You can do it. Get back up on your feet, J. When you get fitted for a new leg, I know you'll be surprised with how well you do."
"I hope so Chris."
Chris helped him stand on his good leg and balanced as he pulled Justin into a tight hug. 
"How much longer are they going to have you there?" Justin asked. 
"They said between eight to twelve months."
Justin pulled back and tried his best to smile. "Kick ass out there. And do it without getting too hurt, alright?"
"You got it. And I'll keep my eyes out for Jc."
"Thank you. Tell him..."
"Yea, yea. I'll tell him you love him and all that mushy shit you two say."
"I was going to say tell him to kick your ass if you start to annoy the hell out of him," Justin said laughing. 
"I could never annoy someone that bad."
"Oh no, never," he said sarcastically.
"Take care," Chris said giving him another hug.
"You too, man. Stay safe."
Chris gave him a smile as he helped Justin sit back down. With a salute and a smile, Chris turned and walked out the door, leaving Justin to watch him leave for the first time without him.    


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: alternateuniverse