Chris touched down at the airbase and motioned for the others to follow. He met Chad and they began their orders. 
Every chance he got, Chris looked for Jc, but every aid station he came across, he wasn't there. After a month they were stationed in part of the bad part of a small town. 
"Aid station just got put up." A marine told Chris as they made a patrol.
Chris looked at the aid station and almost jumped for joy.
"Thanks," he said quickly going over to the tent. "Chasez."
Jc stood up and turned around. "Chris," he said smiling. 
"Jeez you have no idea how glad I am to see you."
"It's so good to see you too," Jc said embracing him in a hug. "When did you get back here?"
"About a month ago. Every aid station I came to, I was hoping you would be there."
"My orders have changed. I go around setting up aid stations now."
"How long are you at each one?"
"A couple of weeks at the most. I just got here, so I'll be here for a little while."
Chris nodded in understanding. 
"How is Justin?" Jc asked, holding his breath.
"He's doing very good.  He was suppose to start therapy when I left and then they would be fitting him for a leg."
"I miss him," Jc said quietly, looking at the ground.
"Trust me, man. He misses you just as much. He told me a million times I  had to find you and make sure you are ok. And you know, all that mushy crap that he loves you and stuff," he said making Jc smile. 
"Wish I could talk to him." 
"Send him a letter."
"You think he would get it?"
"Well yea I'll make sure of it."
"Thanks Chris."
"How much longer is your tour?"
"Eight months."
"Jeez, how's your shoulder?"
"It's alright. It hurts every once and awhile, but I'm all good." 
"Where's Devon?"
Jc shook his head and looked down kicking the sand. "He was killed last week."  
"Dammit. I'm sorry Jc. I know how close you two were."
"He was your Justin out here to me," Jc agreed. "I'm still trying to get use to not calling for him or him having my back."
"Well for the next couple of weeks until you have to go, I've got your back."
"It's going to be nice having you around again."
Chris hugged him again. He would try to keep his promise to Justin as best as he could. 
"Kirkpatrick we have to go," Chad said walking up. "Lieutenant Chasez."
"Hi Chad," Jc said politely then turned to Chris. "I have to get back to work."
"Let me know when you have to leave Jc." 
"I will, thanks Chris." 
Jc turned and went back to the tent. Chris and Chad went back to their patrol. Before Jc left with his new orders he gave Chris his letter. Chris promised he would make sure that Justin would get it. Jc smiled and turned back towards the truck. 
"Stay safe Chasez." 
"Always try," Jc said getting on the truck. He saluted while the truck roared to life. 

Justin sat in his wheelchair in the gardens at the VA hospital. The hospital wasn't so bad. Three meals a day, sleep whenever you want, therapy, nice quiet places to go. It had been two months since he had gotten there. 
Therapy was hard. He never knew it would take so long for muscles to gain strength. Everyday he thought about Chris and Jc and prayed silently every morning that they were alright. He had watched men receive bad news almost every day. And deep down he was waiting for it to happen to him. 
"Gunnery Timberlake?" 
"Yes?" Justin said snapping out of his trance. 
"Mail," she said handing the worn envelope to him. 
"Thank you." 
She smiled then went back inside. Justin turned the envelope around. Tears sprang to his eyes seeing where it was from. Quickly he ripped it open and unfolded the white paper. 

Justin, 
I don't know when you will get this. I hope you are doing well. I ran into Chris. He is doing good and he told me about you. How you're starting therapy. That's great. I know you will do well. 
I miss you so much, Jus. Things just aren't the same without you here. Although, we wouldn't be together like we were before. I have new orders. Every couple of weeks I move to set up a new aid station somewhere else. At least this way I know you're safe. I'm being safe too. Alway try to be. 
I hope you're not mad at me. I'm so sorry for what I had to do. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I hope you're waiting for me Justin. I love you so much. I can't wait to see you.
Love always,
Josh

Justin folded the letter slowly and wiped the tears that were running down his cheeks. Two months he had been home and finally he knew Jc was alright. Taking a deep breath he kissed the letter and placed it back into the envelope. 
"Bad news Gunnery?" Leslie asked walking up and seeing the tears rolling down his cheeks. 
"No," Justin said shaking his head and wiping his eyes. "Finally heard from my partner." 
"Your partner is still in Afghanistan, right?" 
"Yes, he's a doctor. They gave him new orders though so he's helping put up new aid stations."
"That's a big job. Hopefully he's staying safe."
"Said he was trying."
"Ready for therapy?"
"Yes." 
Unlocking the wheelchair Justin went to therapy with more motivation to get back on his feet. Afterwards when he returned to his room he started writing a letter back to Jc. He needed to reassure his lover that he was waiting for him. 

Jc stood next to a cot putting in an IV in a wounded marine when the mail carrier came in. The man went around handed out letters to soldiers. 
"Lieutenant Chasez?"
"Yes." 
"I have a letter for you," he said handing it to Jc. 
"Thank you."
Jc looked at the front of the envelope and smiled. Justin. He laughed when he saw it had been postmarked two weeks ago. Sitting down, he opened it, anxious to hear from him. 

Josh, 
Of course I'm waiting for you baby. I love you so, so much. You're all I think about.
I'm working really hard at therapy. It's amazing how I'm having to rebuild so many muscles. I'm waiting to get fitted for my prosthetic. It's going to be specially made for me and fit to my leg to a T. They tell me it takes a lot of work walking on a prostatic, but they tell me it will be like nothing when I'm used to it. 
When is your tour done? I can't wait for you to get home. 
I'm not mad at you Josh. I could never be mad at you. Not for when you were doing your job. Please, please don't blame yourself for my leg. It's not your fault. You took care of me. You saved my life baby. I'm coming to terms with what happened. You should as well. 
Stay safe baby. I love you. 

Love, 
Justin

Jc folded the letter up and kissed it. He was happy to hear Justin was doing well and still loved him. Taking a few deep breaths he put the letter into his bag and went back to work. He was happy that Justin was coming to terms with what happened, but he couldn't. Not yet anyway. That night still replayed in his head. He still tried thinking he could have changed things, that he should have tried saving Justin's leg. The doctor in him kept telling him he couldn't. The boyfriend in him cringed and mentally couldn't stop blaming himself. Things were different now. He hated his new orders. He hated that Justin was back in the states having to go through therapy alone. He hated that Devon was gone. Life now sucked in the sandbox. 

A week later. 
"Justin, we have your leg to start fitting," his therapist said coming in the therapy room.
Justin smiled. Finally.
"Great. Lets get this going."
He had been waiting weeks for this. He had built up a lot of muscle working without a leg that he was more than ready to start working with his new leg. He wanted to be able to walk with no problems with it by the time Jc got home.
He spent the next hour fitting the leg and seeing what felt right and what didn't. It was a different feeling trying to even stand on the leg, he couldn't imagine what it would be like to walk on it. They told him it would be a slow process, so he was glad he had time.
The biggest thing Justin would be working on would be balance with it. And making sure it didn't hurt anywhere.

A month after starting therapy with his leg, Justin was happy to get another letter from Jc. He sat on his bed in the hospital and opened the letter. 

Justin,
I'm trying. I'm trying so hard not to blame myself for what I had to do to you, but being out here, it's a constant reminder to me. I hate that I had to do that. I'm glad that you've come to terms with it, but it's still hard for me. 
How is your therapy going? Have you gotten your leg yet? I know you're strong so I know it won't take long for you to get use to it. 
As of tomorrow I have seven months left of my tour. I can't wait to get out of here. I don't like my new orders and having to move around all the time. I can't wait to see you and be in your arms again. Thinking of that gets me through the days. 
I love you so much, baby. I'm staying safe.

Love,
Josh

Justin placed the letter to his chest. Oh Josh! He thought sadly. It's not your fault. If there was one thing Justin couldn't wait to do when his lover came home was to wrap his arms tightly around him and tell him until he was either blue in the face or Jc actually believe him that it wasn't his fault. He hated the fact that Jc blamed himself. 
Justin knew a long time ago the risks of being in the army. Of what could happen, what had happened. Like what Chris said. Once a Marine, always a Marine. Lifting the letter he kissed it softly. 
"I love you baby," he said softly as he opened the side draw and placed it with the first letter. 

Time seemed to click slowly for everyone. Justin worked hard on getting used to his new leg. They weren't kidding when they said it was a slow process. There were times after therapy that his body just ached. 
He would go back to his room and rest and think of Jc. All of his thoughts centered around his lover.     


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: alternateuniverse