Months had gone by. Jc's letters were far less then he wanted, but he knew his lover was busy. He knew  he wasn't able to stay in one place long anymore. Not long enough to get settled. His letters screamed at Justin that his lover was lonely. That the war was slowly eating him alive. It hurt Justin to know how unhappy he was.
As weeks went on, Justin was getting use to the leg. It felt good being able to walk on two legs. His confidence grew each day. He spent hours in the therapy room working his muscles. He didn't have anything else to keep him going besides knowing Jc would come home and when he did, Justin wanted to show him how well he was doing.
One day as he worked on one of the exercise machines, a women walked in with one of the nurses. The nurse pointed towards Justin then turned and walked away. The older women smiled at Justin as she walked closer. Grabbing the small towel he wiped the sweat from his forehead. Then carefully put himself into his wheel chair. 
"Gunnery Timberlake?" She asked.
"Yes."
"Karen Chasez. I'm Joshua's mom," she said smiling wide and extending her hand. 
Justin felt the blood drain from his face. Even though she was smiling, he couldn't help but think she was here to tell him bad news about Jc. 
"Josh. Is he ok?" He asked immediately.
Karen noticed the worry in Justin's face and his tone. She quickly reassured him. 
"Yes, he's fine. Well, I think he is. It's been a little while since we've heard from him, but if he wasn't I know we would know."
Justin sighed with relief. "Would you like to come back with me to my room?"
"I would really enjoy that."
Justin wheeled himself out of room and down the hall. Mrs. Chasez following close next to him. It was silent until they reached the small room he had been calling home. The time Justin wondered what Jc's mom was doing here. If he was ok why was she visiting him? When she closed the door and turned to face him smiling he just had to ask. 
"Mrs. Chasez, is everything ok?"
"Yes Gunnery."
"Please call me Justin."
"Please call me Karen," she said with a smile. "I wanted to meet the man that has my sons heart. You're all he talks about in his letters." 
Justin couldn't help the smile and the small blush that crept up on his face.
"I love him very much," Justin told her. 
"From the way he talks, I know the feeling is mutual. How are you doing?"
"Please Karen have a seat," Justin said motioning at the chair next to the bed. 
Karen moved and sat down in the chair. "Have you been fitted for a prostatic?"
"Yes, they needed to make some adjustments. I was having problems with it. It should be in soon."
"Good, I hope you are keeping Josh in the loop."
"I try, but his letters don't come often."
"No they don't. Are you here alone Justin?" She said looking around the tiny room frowning.
"No, my mom is staying close. She splits her time from being here and being in my home town near Memphis. My dad comes every once in a while as well." 
"Josh is worried about you being alone. It's another reason why I came. I wanted to make sure you were being cared for. If you need anything Justin please, please tell me. I want to help."
"Just your company is great."
Karen smiled. "Has Josh told you this is his last tour?"
Justin's eyes shot up to look at her in surprise. "No. I wasn't sure, that is. I figured it might be from the way he has been talking about things, but I didn't know for sure."
"In his last letter, he told me. It was a couple weeks ago. I suspected it was time. He's tired. And ready for something new. He's ready to spend time with you."
"I'm ready to spend time with him," Justin said smiling. 
"He's been doing this a long time Justin and I'm worried about him. Every tour he has come home his eyes have gotten darker. He's tired."
"I'm worried about him too. He hates his new orders."
"Oh does he hate it. Never has he hated a job so much."
Justin shook his head. "Two more months. I know for him and for the rest of the team it can't come soon enough."
"How long are you in the hospital?"
"I think another month. In the next few days I should get my prostatic. Then I need to make sure I'm comfortable with it. I'm hoping to get housing on the base and find a job." 
"Wouldn't you feel more comfortable waiting for Josh. Stay here until he can help."
"No," Justin said shaking his head. "I want to be totally independent when Josh gets home. I want him to move in with me. I want to help him and not have him worrying over me." 
"You're a good man, Justin. My son is lucky to have you."
"I'm lucky to have him."
"Let me know when you are moving and I can come help."
"I will."
"He blames himself." 
"I know he does. I keep telling him it's not his fault but I think he needs to see me to understand."
"I agree."
Digging into her purse she found a piece of paper and a pen. She wrote down her information and handed it to him. 
"Any time you need anything call me."
"Thank you Karen."
"Thank you for meeting with me."
"It was my pleasure."
"Write him Justin. I know it makes him smile when he gets your letters. He may not be able to reply all the time, but it helps him."
"I will."
Karen kissed his cheek then with a last smile she headed out of the room. Justin went over to the drawer and pulled out the pad of paper and pen then started writing. 

Jc stood over boxes of medicine counting. The medicine needed to be divided up and sent to other aid stations. He would be moving to another city in the morning. Wiping the sweat from his forehead he took a deep breath. It was hot and he was beyond tired. 
"Doctor Chasez?"
"Yes." 
"Letter sir."
"Thank you," he said taking the envelope.
He put it in his pocket to read later. He needed to get this done before he lost count. Wiping the sweat again he continued working. Everything in his body hurt.  He prayed the letter was from Justin he was in need of a pick me up. When he was finished he went to go have five minutes to read his letter, but just as he opened it, a few wounded men came flooding in. 
Hours went by before he was able to sit down and retrieve the letter from his pocket. 

Josh,
Hey baby, 
How are you? I know how you are, you're ready to come home to me. Counting down the days baby. I can't wait to hold you again. I miss you so much. 
I'm getting my prosthetic soon. I had it but it was causing me pain. So they are making a few adjustments to it. I'm working hard to be ready for you to come home. I'm getting stronger. A lot stronger. When I get my leg I think I'll be ready to get out of the hospital. 
I've been talking with housing and they are going to hook me up with an apartment on the base. It will be wheelchair accessible because I'll need to use a wheelchair or crutches. Also looking into finding a job. I know you're probably freaking out a little and that I'm moving too fast, but I'm not really. I want it to be stress free for you when you get home. I want to be able to take care of you. I'm doing good Josh. Really I'm doing good. I'm going to look like nothing ever happen when you step off the plane. 
So I had a surprise visitor today. Your mom! I was shocked to say the least, but she is one of the nicest people I've met. She's worried about you. I'm worried about you. She did say something that I was happy to hear. Josh, is this really your last tour? Because I hope it is. I'm ready for you to come home and come live with me. You could work at the hospital here on base. We could live a slow moving life together. Please think about it Josh. 
Your mom is going to stop by and visit every once and awhile. Even said she would help me move. It was nice meeting her. We had a good talk and she can't wait for you to come home too. 
We're all here waiting for you Josh, and can't wait for you to be with us again. I pray every day that you stay safe. I think about you every second of every day, don't ever think that I don't. When you get home, I'm not letting you out of my sight for a good long while. 
59 days, baby. And by the time you get this, it will be a lot less! Can't wait.
Stay safe.
I love you more than I can say,
Jus

Ps. If you see Chris can you please tell the dumbass to send me a letter. I'm worried about him. Need to make sure he's alright. 

Jc wiped the tears that had seemed to fallen while he read the letter. Taking a deep breath he placed the letter into his bag. He couldn't wait to get home to Justin. He was ready to be done. Closing his eyes he hoped to get a few minutes of sleep. It never last long though because a few minutes later he was being called. 
Over the next few weeks, Jc helped build three aid stations. As he worked one day he received new orders. He was being sent to an aid station that just lost their doc in a cross fire attack. In few short hours he was dropping his bag on the cot he would call home for the last month of his tour. As he went into the aid station he noticed a familiar face. 
"Kirkpatrick." 
"Chasez, hey man," Chris said giving him a large hug. 
"How are you? Are you stationed here?" 
"Yep, I'll be here for the next month. Please tell me you're the replacement doctor." 
"That would be me." 
"Great," Chris said with a smile. "Have you heard from Justin at all?" 
"Yea he's doing good. Last I heard was that he was getting his prosthetic leg. It was a few weeks ago. He was also going to try to get housing on the base and a job." 
"Wow! He's really working hard." 
"Seems like it. In his last letter he asked me to tell you to send him a letter. He's worried about you." 
"I'll send him a letter," Chris said smirking. "So how are you holding up?" 
Jc shrugged his shoulders. "I'm alright." 
Chris wasn't stupid. There was more to it, but he knew that Jc wouldn't talk to him about it. "Well I'm glad you're here. Now I can keep on eye on your ass." 
"Yea cause my ass really needs to be watched," Jc said shaking his head. 
"Sure it does." 
"Chris, we're heading in patrol," Chad said walking in. "Chasez." He was shocked to see the doctor standing there. 
"Chad, how are you?" 
"I'm ok and yourself?"
"I'm alright."
"Are you the new doc?" 
"Yes." 
Chris could tell Jc was apprehensive about being near Chad. He could see Jc was fighting whether to trust him. Granted, Chris didn't blame him. Chad had tried to have sex with him. Looking at Chad he could see he was acting like it had never happened. Chad was a cocky bastard Chris had learned that quickly. They fought a lot and he had wanted to murder him, but Chad had helped him out a few times and they had gained trust in each other. They had to out here. 
Looking at the two men he knew that if Chad tried anything again he wouldn't stop Jc from beating the shit out of him.
"We need to get going Chris." 
"I'll come by later and say hi," he said turning to Jc. 
"I'll be here," Jc said heading back to work. 

Lynn sat her sons suitcase on the bed and started putting his belongings in it. She opened the drawers and pulled out the pile of letters. 
"Justin honey, are you sure you want to move to your own place? The hospital is more then willing to let you stay until Josh gets home." 
"Mom, we've been through this." 
"Maybe I should stay with you for a few days," Lynn said placing the pile of clothes into the suitcase along with what was left in the drawer.
"Mom, I told you that I was ok with that." 
"Have you heard from Jc or Chris?" 
"No it's been a little over a month." 
"I'm sure you will hear from them soon."
Justin sighed.  "I hope so."
Lynn could tell she needed a new topic quickly before she lost Justin to his memories and became sad. 
"When is Karen coming?"
"She said she would be here soon. I want most of this packed up so then we can get it in the car and over to the apartment."
Justin started putting a few more things in the suitcase. 
"Gunnery Timberlake," a nurse said knocking on his door. 
"Yes."
"Mail." 
She walked in and handed him three envelopes, smiled, then left. Justin sat on the bed and ripped one of them open. Lynn continued to pack. 

Justin, 
Hi dumbass. See I'm alive." 

Chris

Justin busted out laughing. 
"What?" Lynn asked.
"Chris," he said handing her the letter.
She laughed when she read it. Then handed it back to him. "He is something else."
"He's a smartass." 
"You have two more. Who are they from?"
Justin shrugged and opened the next one. It was from Chris again.

J,
Ok, I'll be serious, I guess. If I have to. I'm doing alright. But man, I am missing you big time out here in this sand box hell. We thought it was bad before right? It's gotten worse. I don't know how any of us stay alive out here. More IEDs go off every day. More men are constantly being sent over because more men are constantly getting sent home. 
As you could probably tell from my first letter, I got your message from Jc. He is the doc at the aid station where I am now. We're here together until the end. A little more than a month. The end is in sight. We've got each others back out here, guaranteeing that we are both coming home.
Please, for the love of god, say that you'll take me out to a club when I get home. I need my wing man helping me out to score a hottie. I'm going insane! Maybe with both you and Jc in my corner I'll score double! Hell yes! I'm liking the sounds of that. And I know what you're thinking, I'm not bugging your lover boy, well, not too much. I think.
See ya soon buddy. Staying safe as always. 
Love and all that mushy crap,
Chris

Justin laughed and shook his head. God he missed Chris too. He really didn't like the sound of what was happening over there. It was more dangerous than when he was there? It churned his stomach. He was going to have to pray double time this next month for their safety. 
Justin handed Lynn the letter to let her read as he opened the last letter that he knew was from his lover. 
His hands shook as he opened it. The last month he had been fearing the worst from the lack of letters. And now that proof was in his hand that Josh was alive and Chris and they were together, it was a little relief. 

Justin baby,
Hey sweetie. I'm so sorry it's taken so long to write this letter. And even longer for you to get it. It has been so crazy here. I don't know how to describe it. I've been setting up more aid stations but supplies are limited. We don't have the supplies we need and shipments are far and few between. It's hard, but we're managing. 
I realized I never told you this. And this is a big part of why things have been harder out here for me. A few months ago, Devon was killed. I couldn't save him. He died quickly and I hope with no pain. There was nothing I could have done. I still can't believe he's gone. I find myself all the time yelling for him and then remember he won't come. It really sucks, baby. 
Yes, this is my last tour. I can't do this anymore. I'm too tired and beat up from being here. I want to live a simple and quiet life with you. And I can't wait for it to come. I count down the days, each day. 
I do worry you're moving too fast but I understand and know you aren't doing anything you're not ready for. Have you found a job on base yet? Moved in your place yet? And wow...mom visited you? I'm glad you two met and I'm sure she will get along great with your mom. I can't wait to see you all. To live normally again. In a world without so much sand and heat. A place where I can drink more water and beer. Oh god, can you please have a beer for me when I get home? That sounds so good right now.
I'm in my last station until going home. That just means the end is in sight! And even better, I'm stationed with Chris. It's great to have him around. I know, I know. I'm saying this about Chris. But it's nice. Someone to keep me smiling and laughing and yes, smack over the head occasionally and shake my head at too. You'll be happy to know he hasn't changed a bit, or maybe that doesn't make you happy. Ha! But he's ready to be done too. We're coming home to you tired and beaten down. I hope you can handle us. 
I can't wait to be in your arms again. I miss your warmth and your smile. And those lips. I'm trying to get past everything. Some days are better than others.  But I do try my hardest. I know it will get easier with time. I love you, baby. 

Josh

Justin folded his letter and kissed it like he always did. There were so many emotions that had gone through Jc when he wrote that letter and Justin could tell. He experienced them when he read Josh's words. 
"He's safe," Lynn stated.
"He's safe," Justin confirms, putting the letter in his pocket to read again later, like he did all of them.
Lynn smiled and put her hand on his shoulder. "That's great news honey."
Justin smiled and agreed. They put the letters from Chris in a box and kept packing with a little weight lifted from their shoulders knowing their two men were safe and closer every day to coming home. 
Less than an hour later Karen came and Justin introduced the two moms to each other. They hit it off right away as Justin knew they would. They both fussed over him and told him not to do any of the moving of heavy things, that they would do it. It bothered him because he knew he could do it but he understood they were just trying to be motherly to him.
By late afternoon they had moved Justin into his new apartment on base. Karen was unpacking some things in the kitchen and living room while Lynn helped Justin in the bedroom. Justin sat on his bed and took off his prosthetic.
"Is it hurting?" She asked.
"Just a little sore. Not bad though after having it on all day and being on it," Justin replied massaging the leg.
Lynn took out a photo and handed it to Justin. "Need a frame for that one?"
Justin smiled and looked at it. "Yes."
Lynn nodded and looked through another box for a frame. Justin let his thumb run over the picture, and over Jc's face. It was the only picture he had of the two of them and he cherished it. Handing it back to his mom, she put it in the frame then he set it next to his bed on the nightstand. 
Soon they were finished. Justin stood in the living room looking around. This was his new home. His very first place he could call his. Before he would just go back to Memphis then come back and go right into his tour. Now he had a place of his own. A place he would soon share with Josh. Looking around again he knew it would feel more like a home when his Josh was here. 
"Justin you ok?" Karen asked walking up behind him.
"Yes, I was just thinking that its going to feel more like home when Josh gets here." 
"It will. In the next few weeks I'll bring some of his things." 
Justin nodded. "Come on ladies lets go out to dinner."
Lynn and Karen laughed. They agreed they all needed a break    


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: alternateuniverse