Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry its been so long. Thanks for sticking with me. 

Please remember this is just a story from my head.  

Over the next few weeks, Justin stayed busy. He was able to find a job on base cleaning and fixing guns. He enjoyed taking them apart and spending the time cleaning each gun. It was relaxing and mindless work, plus he could sit. It kept him busy and not looking at the calendar counting down the days. 
He was getting better at being able to use his prosthetic all day and not feel the need to take it off. His mom stayed with him, she didn't like him being alone in the apartment. Even though Justin had told her a million of times that he was ok. She still didn't like it and stayed. 

Each day Justin stood in front of the mirror in his bedroom and looked at the calendar. Each day he said a little prayer then went to work. He didn't work many hours, but it was enough to stock some money away, and to pay his bills.  Every night when he came home he looked into the mail box. It was starting to become a routine.

"Gunnery Timberlake." 
"Yes sir," Justin said getting to his feet and saluting his Private. 
"At ease solider." 
"What can I do for you sir?" 
"I needed to give you this and say congratulation."  Private Gibbs said giving him an envelope. 
Justin gave him a questionable look and opened the envelope. He read over it and was a little surprised. He had been chosen to receive a Purple Heart. They wanted to give him a medal for losing his leg and for the services he had provided his country for. Justin shook his head in shock. 
"Congrats Gunnery," Private Gibbs said saluting him. 
Justin saluted back. "Thank you sir." 
Sitting back down Justin stared at the letter. He couldn't believe it. He was invited to a special ceremony along with a luncheon in Washington DC.  
"Hey Drake can I head out for the day?" Justin asked.
"Yea no problem," Corporal Drake said waving his hand. 
"Thanks." 
Getting up, Justin cleaned up what he was working on then headed home. Catching the bus he stared at the letter again. He wasn't sure how he felt about this. 
"Justin honey what are you doing home already?" Lynn asked when he walked in. 
"Private Gibbs brought this to me today," he said sitting down on the couch and holding the letter. 
Lynn walk over to the couch and took the letter. Reading it carefully, she smiled big. 
"Honey, this is big! Congratulations."
"Hey sure, it's like, 'hey sorry you lost your leg here's a medal for your services'," he mumbled. 
"Justin," Lynn said shaking her head. 
"How about they take back time so I could get my leg back or let my boyfriend and best friend come home."
"Justin I thought that you were doing ok."
Justin sighed. "I am mom."
"Then what's wrong?"
"That ceremony is next weekend. They are suppose to come home next week. I still don't know when they are coming home. What if I'm gone to DC when he gets home?"
"It will be fine, Justin. It's only for the weekend. We will be home before they get here," she said patting his leg. "This is a good thing Justin. I'll make the arrangements and call your dad."
"Ok." 
Laying down on the couch Justin closed his eyes and tried his best to think positively. 

The weeks went quickly. By Friday, everything was set. Bags were packed and in the car. Justin stood in front of his mirror. He looked at the calendar and sighed. He still hadn't heard when Jc and Chris would be home. He was starting to get concerned. 
"Ready Justin?"
"Yea, just a minute mom."
"Ok this was in the mailbox," she said handing him a envelope. 
Justin looked at the envelope and his heart sped up a little seeing it was from Jc. Lynn patted his shoulder and left. 
"Please be ok," he whispered opening the letter. 

Justin, 
I don't know when you will get this. I don't know when I'm coming home. It's scaring the hell out of me. They haven't told us. It's been crazy here. So crazy. More and more people are getting hurt. It's an endless battle. I'm so ready to come home and never think or see this place again. What if they won't let me retire? What if they make me go back?There's a replacement coming they just don't know if he's going to be done with training. I don't think I could do another tour. I'm so tired Justin, I don't think I've slept in days. 
Ok I'm sorry. I shouldn't tell you these things. I know you're worried enough. Don't worry about me. I'll be ok. I can't wait to see you and to be in your arms again. Love you so much.
Chris is busy too. He's more than ready to come home as well. I think he's going to murder Chad. They fight a lot. Chris comes in swearing up a freaking storm in the aid tent. Takes me awhile to calm him down. I laugh at him. Tell him he shouldn't get so worked up over Chad. He misses you.  But we keep each other good company. I'm thankful we are stationed together again until the end.
How's your new job coming? Liking it? What else is going on? Your mom still staying at the apartment? How's your leg? 
Questions are probably stupid since you probably won't be able to answer. I'm trying to get home I swear. I'm hoping next Saturday, but it could change. 
I love you. Be safe. 

Love
Josh

Justin gripped the letter. They had to let him come home. He couldn't take much more of this. Didn't they see this? He sighed...they didn't care. He kissed the letter then folded it back up. Lynn walked in and saw the look on her sons face that told her things were not alright. 
"Justin?" She asked.
"He's hoping next Saturday. He's so beaten up. Things over there are so bad right now. He needs to come home so badly. He can't take it anymore. I'm so worried about him," Justin rambled quickly. 
Lynn quickly wrapped her arms him. 
"He's going to be ok Justin."
With a heavy sigh, Justin kissed the letter again and opened his drawer and placed it with the other letters. 
"Let's go get this medal." 
Lynn frowned and placed her hand on his cheek. "Justin."
"Let's just not think about it, please," Justin begged. 
"You can't ignore this."
"No, but I can't control it." 
She kissed his cheek and took his hand. Then they walked out to Paul who was waiting. 
"Ready? I don't want to miss our flight."
"Yea dad we're ready. Sorry."
"You ok?" Paul said placing his hand on Justin's shoulders. 
"Just a letter dad."
"Bad news?"
"No, lets go." 
Paul glanced at Lynn who shook her head telling him not to press any further. They left the apartment and headed to the airport. Justin did everything to not think about Jc's letter. It wouldn't do him any good analyzing it, but yet he couldn't think Jc would be getting off the plane next Saturday. If he got his hopes up then he didn't show it. Ir would only hurt more. 
By the end of the day they were sitting in their hotel room. Justin was sitting on the bed. He took his leg off and rubbed it. Closing his eyes he fell asleep right away. Lynn and Paul were concerned about him. 
The next day they were up and began getting ready for the ceremony. Justin stared at his dress uniform. He wasn't sure he wanted to go. He tried thinking back to the last time he wore he dress blues but he really couldn't remember. It had been a long time. Then he wondered what Josh looked like in his dress blues. He smiled at the thought of seeing him all dressed up. Shaking away his thoughts, he slowly got dressed. 
"Well don't you look handsome. I don't remember the last time you were dressed up," Lynn said straightening out his jacket. 
"I can't either." 
"This is a good thing Justin."
"I know."
"Please try to have a good time. Josh would be so proud to see you dressed up like this and receiving the Purple Heart."
"I will try," Justin agreed giving her cheek a kiss.
When all three of them were ready, they had a car waiting for them outside their hotel room that took them to the White House. 
The ceremony was boring. Justin did everything to make it appear he was paying attention. He received his medal and shook the President's hand. Then it was off to the luncheon. 
The whole time he wished Josh was there with him. Or that he wasn't there at all because it would have meant that none of this had happened. Instead, he would have been back over there with Chris and Josh still fighting and coming home together. 
During the luncheon saw people he had run into who had also been injured. He talked with some of them, listened to their stories. Some still struggled with excepting what happened. Some like himself had dealt with it. Some even hated the army. Justin didn't think he could truly hate the army. No, they had been alright to him. They had given him a career and helped him. What happened was an accident nothing more nothing less then an accident. Wrong place, wrong time. 
The other guys congratulated him for his way of thinking. Justin couldn't help but laugh and tell them Semper Fi. Once a marine, always a marine. He walked away after that. No one asked about Jc or Chris. He was glad he didn't have to talk about them. 
When the day ended and they were back at the hotel Justin wasted no time crawling into bed. Taking his prostatic off he let it fall to the ground. 
"Justin," Lynn scowled. 
He only shook his head and rolled over. 
"Take your dress uniform off at least, please."
Taking them off he threw them into a pile. He wasn't mad at the army, no. He just wanted his leg back and people to not look differently at him. That day had proved to him that things were different. He had been medically discharged from active duty. Josh would make him feel better he would know what to say  and how to make him smile. 
But no, his lover was still in the hell hole. Still dealing with IEDs, gun fights, burns marines losing their arms and legs. Some at the hand of his brave boyfriend. He prayed that they were safe. Taking a deep breath he closed his eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep.
They spent two days going around the DC seeing different sights and relaxing. Justin enjoyed spending time with his parents. 
After going out to eat the last night, they walked into the hotel. 
"Gunnery Timberlake, the hotel clerk said stopping them. 
"Yes."
"A message came in for you," he handed him a piece of paper. 
"Ah thanks." 
Looking down at the paper his eyes widened. 
"They're coming home."
"What!" Lynn said coming to his side. 
"They will be home Saturday at three," he said in shock. 
"That's great honey.," she said giving him a hug. 
"Who's the message from?" Paul asked. 
Justin laughed, he hadn't even looked. Reading the letter over he smiled even bigger. It was from Josh. 
"It's from Josh." 
"Look you only have five days."
"Wow!"
It was happening. They were coming home. They walked back up to the room and Justin couldn't stop smiling. Jc would be in his arms in less than a week. Sitting on the bed he looked at his parents talking. Taking his phone out he called Karen. She had also received a message as well. They were both happy. After getting off the phone he turned to his mom. 
"Mom."
"Yes."
He moved to lay onto the bed. Taking his prostatic off he put his head on the pillow. 
"I want to do something special."
"Like what?" Lynn asked sitting on the bed. 
"Dinner. I mean you guys will be there Karen and Roy are coming down. Chris's parents will be there. Let's do something nice."
"What would you like?"
Justin closed his eyes and thought for a minute. "Let's do a barbecue. Pulled pork, cole slaw, beans, potatoes. I know they would love it."
"I think that's a great idea."
"I can call Karen back and talk to her, I'm sure she would help. Chris's mom would help as well."
"I'll call them this week," Lynn assured him. 
"Ok, I'm going to sleep."
"I figured," she said pulling the blanket up. 
"He's finally coming home."
"Yes he's coming home."
"I hope he's ok."
"He'll be even better on Saturday."
"I'll be even better on Saturday."
"Yes you will be as well."
She kissed his forehead and let him fall asleep. She was very happy that they had finally received the great news they had all been hoping and praying for. It was the first time she had genuinely seen her son smile. It made her know that Josh was made for her son. She was looking forward to meeting him. 
Getting home the next day Justin jumped into getting everything ready for Jc and Chris to come home. He worked a few hours a day but ended up going home because he couldn't stay on task. Finally he asked his boss for a few days off. He gave it to him knowing just how much it meant having loved ones coming back. But now Justin sat at home doing nothing and staring at the clock.
They had everything planned out. He called Chris's parents and invited them. Bev agreed with a smile. She couldn't wait to see her son. Justin  told her what they were planning on having and she was adamant on  bringing something as well. 
Justin laughed as he thought about their conversation. Bev was an amazing women. She had to be to put up with Chris. He had also talked to Karen. They had become fast friends since she came to visit him in the hospital. His mom had as well. When he had told Karen about the dinner, she agreed immediately and was excited. Now they just had to wait. 
One more day. 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: alternateuniverse