Justin didn't know long he had been knocked out for. When he finally came to, he listened. The world around him was silent. Moving a little he felt the pain in his left side. Gently placing his hand over the spot, he felt the warm liquid of his blood. Shit! Moving some more, his head pounded. He felt blood there too. 
Justin held his gun tight and ready to aim as he moved the ruble from around his body slowly. Once all the boards and ruble were off, he sat up. Everything around him was black. He needed to get back to base. Looking around he saw no one. He prayed that he wasn't the only one left of his squad. Finally being able to get to his feet, his body swayed from the dizzy feeling. Now just to get back to base. Slowly and carefully he made his way back. 

Chad and Chris carried Adam into the aid station. Devon and Jc were working on some locals who had been caught in a fire storm. 
"Set him down there Chris," Jc said pointing to an empty cot. 
Getting him to the cot they sat him down. Adam cried out a little from pain. 
"Chris sit there, you need stitches."
"What, no. I'm fine Jc."
"Your head is saying a different story."
Lifting his hand he left the back of his head and felt the blood. He laughed. Jc walked over with a suitsure kit. 
"Sit down." 
Devon went to Adam and started treating him.  
Suddenly it hit Jc. Where was Justin? Why wasn't he with them?
"Where's Justin?"
Chris gulped the air in his throat. He wasn't sure how he was going to tell Jc that he had left Justin because he couldn't find him. He could feel Jc's hand trembling. 
"Chris." His voice cracked, but he continued cleaning the cut and started stitching it closed. 
Chris couldn't do it, his brain shut down. He held his head down and prayed a silent prayer. 
Just as Jc was going to ask again the flap to the tent opened and Justin stumbled in. 
"Oh my god," Jc exclaimed looking up. 
Chris jumped off the cot and caught Justin into his arms. 
"Fuck Justin."
"You're ok," Justin slurred looking at him. 
"Yes. Shit, I couldn't find you 
  I'm sorry I left you."
"It's ok."
"Chris get him over here," Jc said. 
Chad quickly went over to help. Justin looked at everyone, relieved everyone was accounted for, but then the dizziness came back and before he could say anything, Justin fell.
Chris quickly caught him as he went down. Jc stopped and helped Chris bring him to the cot. Jc worked fast in getting an IV into Justin's arm. 
"He's going to be ok, right?" Chris asked hovering. 
"Yes. You need to go back and sit down, Chris. You're all hurt and dehydrated."
Chris sighed and went back to his cot. He watched Jc work quickly on Justin. Jc's mind was quietly panicking. The one thing he had prayed wouldn't happen, had. Justin was laying on the cot covered in blood. 
"Oh baby," he whispered. "Why did this happen?"
He cleaned the wound on Justin's head then bandaged it. Then stitched then the large cut on his stomach. When he was finished, he put a clean shirt on him and pulled the thin blanket over his body. Bending down he lightly kissed his forehead. 
"I love you." 
After doing his rounds he pulled a chair up and sat down. He stared at his lover until his eyes started slowing closing, but quickly snapped them opened. He had sent the rest of the team back to base a few minutes ago and now it was quiet in the tent. 
"Jc, go lay down. He's going to be asleep for a while," Devon said coming up to him.
"I want to be here if he wakes up."
"I'll stay. If he wakes up, I'll come get you.  You've been awake too long. You made me sleep, now I'm making you go sleep."
Jc grumbled. He knew Devon was right but he hated the idea of leaving Justin.
"Alright," he finally said after yawning again. "Come get me right away."
"I will. Go," he said pushing him. 
Jc stumbled to his cot in the bunk house, collapsing down he slipped into a restless sleep.
A couple hours later, while Devon was sitting next to Justin, he had been watching Justin be in a restless sleep. He could only imagine the bad dreams he was having. 
"Josh!" Justin screamed, sitting straight up.
Devon jumped to his feet.
"You're fine, Justin. Calm down."
"What happened? Where's Josh? And Chris? The rest of the team?" He asked in a panic. He grimaced in pain from his stomach and his head. 
"Your team is fine. They're back on base. Jc is sleeping."
"I need to get up."
Justin tried to get up but it hurt.
"I'll go get Jc. Stay right here. You need to lay down."
Justin groaned but laid back down. Devon left and quickly went to get Jc. Few minutes later a very red eyed Jc came walking into the tent. Justin only slightly sighed with relief. At least part of his nightmare wasn't real. Jc quickly sat down next to the low laying cot. 
"Josh," Justin whispered. 
"Your fine Justin."
"Chris? My men?" He exclaimed quickly. 
"All fine." 
"Holy hell my head hurts," Justin sighed trying to sit up to take Jc's hand. 
"You need to settle down or I'll put you out."
"Josh!"
"I mean it Justin. Calm down. I'm not letting you leave yet."
"Shit.  What happened?" 
"The front door of the house you were going in was wired. It exploded. Chris went to find you, but he couldn't. Then shots were being fired at everyone so they had to leave so nobody got shot. Chris felt horrible and was sick to his stomach not knowing if you were alive. But then you can stumbling in here a little while later," Jc explained. 
"I don't remember a thing."
"I'm not surprised. You took a big hit to your head." 
"But they're all ok, right?"
"Yes. Adam had a small piece of shrapnel in his leg but it was an easy fix. Chris had a small gash on the back of his head. He needed a few stitches."
"Jesus," Justin groaned out. 
He turned to look at his boyfriend. He could see the worried lines running across his forehead. His lips were in a permit frown. He wanted to hold him beg him to say it was going to be alright. He felt for his boyfriend, he could only imagine what he had been feeling when his bloody ass came stumbling into the tent. Because if the roles had been reversed, Justin would have been sick to his stomach. 
Before they could could speak another word they heard screaming outside the tent. Seconds later two marines came rushing into the tent carrying another. His leg was bloody and mangled. Justin quickly placed his hand over his mouth. Jc had jumped into action. 
"Get him over here quick." 
The two marines laid their friend carefully on the cot. 
"Devon, I need my tools now," Jc barked. 
Devon rushed around getting everything for him. The marine screamed in pain when Jc tightened the belt around his thigh. More injured marines and locals cam rushing in. 
"Devon, go to those men."
"I'm on it," Devon said quickly helping the other marines and locals. 
Justin watched Devon take action with the other men in the tent
But then turned his gaze back to Jc and watched him.
"Get out of here," Jc snapped. 
The two marines stared at Jc, they didn't want to leave their friend. 
"We won't..."
"Get out unless you want to watch me take his leg off." 
The coldness in Jc's voice hurt Justin's ears. The two marines slowly walked out of the tent.
"I'm giving you morphine, it will help but it won't take away all the pain." 
"Yes sir," the injured marine groaned out. 
Picking up his small saw he turned and looked at Justin. Justin could have swear he saw a small tear gathering. 
"I love you," Justin mouthed. 
Jc sadly nodded his head and closed the curtain around him. Justin heard the small saw being started. He turned over on his cot and put his hands over his ears, trying to block out the sound, but it only muffled it. He grimaced when he heard the saw cutting into the marines bone. Justin couldn't even imagine the pain he was going through knowing that tomorrow, that marine would be going home and never returning because he had one less leg.
After the saw was turned off, Justin forced himself back asleep. He didn't want to be awake and think about all the bad things that can happen to them out here. 
When he opened his eyes again, the tent was quiet. He stared at the ceiling trying to gain where he was again and what had happened. Turning his gaze to the bed across from him, he frowned seeing it was empty. 
"I couldn't save him." A soft voice said next to him. 
Justin moved his eyes to his boyfriends sad blues. 
"He lost too much blood. His body went into shock. There was nothing I could do to stop it. His heart just stopped."
The pain in his boyfriends voice was almost just too much.
"I told you to be safe. That could have been you Justin. I could have to do that to you," he exclaimed quietly. 
Pulling himself up, Justin sat across his beautiful lover. Reaching out he tried taking his hands into his, but Jc pulled back. 
"Josh," he finally whispered. 
"I don't think I can keep doing this. I've broken my rule. Ten years I've been doing my tours. Never have I fallen so fast for someone. For so long I kept my heart closed. But with you it's different. I can't do this anymore. It needs to stop. I don't want to watch you die I don't want to have to try to patch you up. I..." 
Against his body's protesting, Justin got off his cot and was standing in front of Jc, his hands softly on his waist. 
"No Josh. Don't you dare break up with me. You don't get to do that just because I could get hurt out here. You could get hurt just as easily. When you went into the city, I was worried sick every seconds of the day wondering if you were coming back alive or dead. But I never once thought about ending things with you because of it." Justin's voice broke and he saw tears in Jc's eyes. "I love you Josh. Screw your rules. Because when you find someone to love, it shouldn't matter where it is or who they are."
"Justin. I..."
"Please don't do this to me Josh. Don't leave me alone in this place. You're the one thing that keeps me living in this sandbox. I live everyday so I can be with you."
A few tears dropped from Jc's eyes and landed on his cheeks. He looked back up at Justin with defeat. 
"I'm so sorry Justin. You're right. I don't want to leave you. I'm just scared."
Justin sighed with relief and took Jc in his arms. 
"I've never felt this before. I don't want to lose you Justin. Don't want to lose you." 
"You're not going to lose me. I promise baby." 
"I love you so, so much." 
"I love you too," Justin said kissing his temple. 
"Tomorrow I'll release you to go back to your shift."
Justin nodded. "Back to normal." 
"Yes back to normal." 
Jc leaned his head into Justin's chest and closed his eyes. 
"Go lay down baby. You need sleep you're so tired," he whispered running his fingers through his boyfriends brown hair. 
"Ok," Jc whispered. 
Justin sat back down on the cot. He took Jc's hand into his and kissed his palm. 
"Go lay down."
Nodding his head Jc got up and headed towards his cot. God, Justin wanted to go with him, he wanted to hold him tight. 
Jc managed to get to his cot and collapsed. He gripped the thin blanket and sighed. 
Justin laid back down on the cot and stared at the ceiling. 
"You should go be with him Justin." Devon said walking up. "I've known Josh for awhile. He's a strong solider. He's the best doctor. I wouldn't want any other person taking care of me. He's special Justin and he loves you very much. Now go be with him."
"Thank you," Justin said getting up as quickly as his body would let him. 
He walked to the bunk house and saw Jc laying on his side, gripping the sheet. He went to him and crawled in behind him, wrapping his arm around his waist. 
"I love you Josh," he whispered, kissing his neck.
"I love you too. I'm so tired."
"Close your eyes. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere."
Jc turned so they were facing. He looked into Justin's blues and put his hand on his cheek.
"So I get to fall asleep in your arms?"
"Yea, baby. You do."
They softly kissed then closed their eyes. It wasn't long before Jc's breathing evened out and Justin followed shortly. 
Justin woke early the next morning his hand softly gripping a hip. Opening his eyes he smiled. He thought about waking up every morning like this. In a bed, naked. That made him smile bigger.
"What you smiling about?"
"You, me, laying in an actual bed waking up in each other arms."
"Oh that sounds nice." 
"Doesn't it? Then you making me breakfast."
"Me, why me?"
"Because I can't cook."
"And you think I can?"
"I'm guess yes."
"Ok yes I know a little bit," Jc said smiling. 
"I have to go Josh."
"I know."
"You going to be ok?" Justin asked worried. He traced Jc's jaw with his finger. 
"Yea I'll be ok."
Slowly Justin kissed his forehead, cheek, nose, jaw, then his lips. "I love you."
"I love you." 
"Ok baby I don't know if I'll see you tonight, but I will try."
"Ok."
Justin slowly got up, his body still sore, but he ignored it.
"Stay safe," Jc said quietly. 
"I always try, baby." Justin pressed one more kiss to his forehead before walking out of the tent towards base. 
Jc watched Justin walk away then went to the aid tent. Devon was stitching up a wounded local. 
"Feel better?" He asked. 
"Yes. Thanks."

Justin walked into the bunker house. He was admittedly attacked by Chris who began kissing his cheeks. 
"Get off of me." 
"Oh I've missed you." 
"Ok Chris," Justin said pushing him off. 
"Jeez dude. You have no idea how scared shitless I was when I couldn't find you." 
"I was scared shitless." 
"By the way, you came in the tent at the greatest moment. I was about to have to tell Jc that you were dead somewhere." 
Justin cringed. He didn't he even want to know how Jc would react to that. 
"But hey, you're ok and back." 
"Yes I'm all good," Justin said smiling wide. 
Chris gave him a pat on the back. They went about their day as normal.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: alternateuniverse