Author's Chapter Notes:
It's what happens before the the light goes out.

Now it's time to say good night, sleep tight.*

 

 

"Josh?"

This was usually their favorite time of the day- in bed, ready for their reprieve from a tiring day. He spent a good eighteen hours inside the recording studio, completing a track with one of the artist he was working with and she clocked in her usual eight hours to the publishing mecca and a few more in front of her laptop at home, editing future  features.

It was the time of day that they look forward to, unwinding, enjoying the intimacy and small talk, lying close to each other, knowing eventually they will be falling asleep in each other's arms.

"Hmnnn?"

"Are you awake?"

"No."

"Jay-ceeee..." Liz added a little whine, deliberately making the slightest of movement in his arms.

"Go to sleep, Liz," he mumbled.

"Your light is still on."

"Turn it off then."

"But it's YOUR light, on YOUR side of the bed," she reminded him, allowing her eyelids to flutter open to eye the offensive lampshade by his side of the bed before looking up at him.

His arms tightened around her. "I'm already asleep, remember?"

"But the light is in my eyes."

"Then close them."

"It doesn't matter, they're still bothering me," she complained.

The corners of his mouth moved, threatening to smile. "Then that's your problem."

Oh! He just didn't say that!

She was fuming but kept her cool as she tried to formulate her attack.

With a sly and determined look in her eyes, she looked up at his profile. He was beautiful, but goddamn it, a certified pain in the ass. So no, she was not backing down.

She allowed her fingers to lazily trail from her side to his chest then started drawing imaginary circles as she scooted herself a few inches up so her lips can begin tracing light kisses on his shoulder then nuzzling into his neck.

"Liz..." his voice struggled in a gruff.

"Hmnnn?"

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to make you turn off your light." Her lips smiled in the kiss.

There was a soft moan as JC maneuvered himself so he can now be on top of her, claiming her lips for a slow, sultry, kiss. When he felt Liz snake her arms round his neck and relaxed into the kiss, he gently pulled away rolling himself back to the opposite side of the bed.

"But now that the light is by YOUR side, now you can turn it off," he gave a smug laugh of victory.

Her eyes grew wide, huffing as she pushed away from him, incredulous at how she was played.  

Oh hell to the no!

"I swear I will move to the guest room and sleep there if you don't turn that damn light, JC," she threatened.

The mattress shifted as she heard a groan. "Are you telling me that you'd rather get up, walk down the hall to the guest room than to simply reach and turn of the lamp?" He placed an arm around her waist trying to pull her close.

"Yes," she frowned, pushing his hand away. She was not backing down. It's called principle or more appropriately, revenge.

"Liz, honey, I love you but you are weird."

"So said the idiot who much rather argue with his girlfriend and push his chances of sleeping alone and not getting any rather than lifting his finger to turn off the lamp shade that was on his fucking side of the bed."

"What?" JC sprang up to sit.

"That got your attention, did it?"

"You're not really moving to the guest room and you're not really serious about the ..."

"Bet me." She dared.

"Maybe I would ..." he dared to tease.

Liz shook her head at his tenacity as she sat up, ready to get out of bed. "You would? You want to find out? You really want to do this, C? You want to make a bet? Over a fucking lamp shade?"

JC was ready to say yes, you know, pride and shit, but then made a mistake by giving his brain a second to consider her threat. He had to bite his lower lip when after a quick weighing of the pros and cons of the would be bet, he realized he really didn't like the cons that much and so for that time, just that time though, he was going to whip out the white flag of surrender.

"No," he frowned, hate to accept defeat.

"I thought so," she smirked. "Now turn off the damn light and let's go to sleep."

JC made a face.

Liz smile smugly. "Go on."

With a sigh, he begrudgingly reached over her to turn off the light. "There, happy?" He asked his girlfriend in the dark that he didn't see her smile.

"Very," she replied in satisfaction, laying back to bed, snuggling into their sheets. She heard another sigh from JC before she felt him settle next to her, shifting until he had turned on his side, facing her back, and resting an arm around her waist and nuzzling into her neck, thinking this pro was worth his pride.

"Liz?" JC whispered a few minutes later.

"Hmnnn..."

"Are you still awake?"

"No."

"Liz ..."

"Go to sleep, JC."

"Well, how do you suppose to fall back to sleep after that drama you just pulled? I'm wide awake now," he complained.

"Josh?"

"Yes?"

She was almost tempted to turn the lights back on again just so he could see her victory smile. "That's your problem."

 


Chapter End Notes:
*Good Night written by John Lennon, sung by the Beatles


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story