Story Notes:
This is an old story of mine that hit a wall that I couldn't get over. I finally pulled it up and wrote it to an ending point. So if the ending seems rushed, that's the reasoning.

JC Chasez pushed people out of his way as he fought to break through the crowd. His eyes never left the fleeing woman in the dark blue dress. Her curled blonde hair bounced as she walked quicker in heels than he'd ever seen before.

 

‘The things we women do to look beautiful.' Rachel had told him only a couple hours before as she pulled on her silver heels securing the strap around her ankle.

 

‘You are always beautiful.' He had replied, pulling her from the chair and into his arms, kissing her softly. He knew she hated wearing heels and was much happier in a pair of flip flops.

 

Right now, he was happy she was wearing heels. If she had been in anything else, he knew she would have been long gone. The crowd had seemingly parted for her, allowing her to easily escape the room. But it was against him. Bodies closed in again, slowing him down. It created a widening gap between him and Rachel that he needed to desperately close.

 

"Damnit," he muttered as the path in front of him closed again. At this point he was beyond caring if he shoved bodies out of his way or was less than apologetic. None of these people in the room mattered to him like the woman he was trying to chase down.

 

His heart was thumping wildly in his chest. A sliver of dread surrounded it. The look on Rachel's face before she turned away from him was etched upon his heart. This was bad. And the longer it took him to get to her was more time for the thoughts in Rachel's head to solidify. He couldn't allow that to happen. He couldn't allow her to think what she was probably thinking about him.

 

JC made it from the ball room and into the lobby. His eyes frantically searched for Rachel. Fear gripped his heart when his search came up empty. ‘Where'd she go?' His mind questioned. He glanced at the main doors to the outside but he vetoed it immediately, especially when he saw the glass covered with rain drops. A streak of lightning lit up the sky and he briefly wondered when it had started storming.

 

Terror must have shown on his face for the concierge at the main desk caught his eye, giving a slight nod to his left. JC wasted no time with a thank you, just took off down the hall. He heard the pinging of the elevator and caught sight of Rachel rushing into the car, mindless of those trying to get off.

 

"Rachel!" JC yelled and started running down the hall. The two couples that had just exited the elevator, quickly stood against the wall, allowing him to pass. He didn't stop to thank them; didn't even spare them a glance. "Please wait!"

 

The doors started sliding shut. He lounged for the doors, barely edging his arm through causing the doors to immediately open. His sigh of relief was cut short when Rachel made a move to slip passed him.

 

"No," JC snagged Rachel around the waist, stopping her from leaving and the doors slid close again and started its assent. It pained him when she started struggling in his arms and he decided to release her. Giving up one small battle, but he wasn't going to lose the war.

 

He stared at her, willing her to meet his gaze but her eyes stared stubbornly at the numbers. He knew she was wishing them to go faster. And he sent up his own prayer of thanks their room was on one of the top floors. The silence in the car was deafening, broken up on by the thunder rumbling outside. It was completely the opposite of the ride down earlier.

 

JC had held Rachel in his arms, her back pressed against his chest. His arms wrapped around her waist. He had nuzzled her neck, whispering in her ear; silly things that made her giggle, sexual things that made her blush and not meet the gaze of the other occupants riding with them.

 

And now...

 

‘And now she wishes she could be anywhere but here with me,' he thought. The words made his heart hurt. And he knew he had to make her see, make her understand that while she did in fact see what she thought she saw, he wasn't the instigator and it didn't mean anything.

 

"Rachel..."

 

"Don't."

 

He swallowed his words at Rachel's sharp reply. It wasn't so much her tone that silenced him, but the look on her face when she finally met his gaze. The breath whooshed from him at the pained expression littering her face; her eyes glossy with unshed tears. At that moment he wanted to do nothing more than to fall to his knees and beg for forgiveness. He wanted to take what was coming to him for ever being the one to put that look on her beautiful face.

 

Silence reigned in the car again as it slowly rose toward the final destination. JC kept his eyes firmly on Rachel, working out the words he wanted to say. This was bigger than the time he got caught up in the studio in his basement writing and forgot he was supposed to meet her for dinner. That had earned him time in the dog house, especially after she sat at the table with an empty chair, a warming glass of wine and a burning candle. He had royally messed up this time. Missing dinner was nothing compared to having your girlfriend see you kissing another woman on the night you planned to propose.

 

‘You are fucked, Chasez,' JC said to himself, jumping slightly as a particularly loud rumble of thunder shook the building. There was no way around this. He was sure there were no words he could sweet talk her with. And what could he say? ‘I'm sorry Rachel, my lips just happened upon hers? It meant nothing.'

 

He clenched his fist in anger. It did mean nothing! He wanted to go back in time and warn himself not to get involved with Beth. Sure she had a pretty face and a great body, but that's where her attributes ended. Even though they dated briefly, five years ago, Beth was still able to show up where he was unexpected and unannounced. It didn't matter that he had a longtime girlfriend. The same girlfriend he had broken up with Beth for.

 

JC sighed. Five years. He had been with Rachel for five years. They had lasted through the rise of ‘NSYNC in the United States; their seemingly overnight success. Rachel was as easily recognized as himself and even Justin. It made it a little challenging but never once did they think about calling it quits. He loved her and none of this meant anything without her. He needed her in his life more than he needed music. He just needed to make her see it.

 

He turned toward her and opened his mouth. Before he could speak, the building shook heavily as thunder boomed across the night. He saw Rachel jump at the sound and moved closer to her. He laid a comforting hand on Rachel's arm, cringing when he saw the glare. With a sigh he let his hand drop.

 

"Please let me explain, Rach-"

 

"No," Rachel said, crossing her arms. She took another step away from JC to off set the one he took in her direction. She glanced at the numbers and willed them to move faster. She wanted to get to the safety of her room, away from prying eyes, listening ears and wagging tongues. Where she could cry without everyone knowing. If only she could stop JC from following her but she knew short of bodily harm, he'd be there with her. And she didn't want to see him, didn't want to hear his excuses.

 

She was mad. She was furious. She was embarrassed and hurt. To see her boyfriend kissing another woman - the same woman that's followed him for years - almost stalking. A woman he's had a previous relationship with. And even though she knew the extent of their relationship... she bit her lip. To have it happen in front of their friends, business associates, members of the press. If they weren't watching JC and Beth kiss, they were watching her. Waiting to see her reaction. As she thought about it, she could almost see them salivating over the juicy gossip.

 

Trouble with Joshel.

 

Joshel, the name the media gave her and JC's relationship when they were talked about. It came from a combination of JC's first name, Joshua and her name. She figured it was easier to say that than JC and Rachel all the time. It didn't bother them, figured it could be worse. They just didn't understand why everyone wanted to know the personal, intimate details of their relationship.

 

‘Everyone's gonna know the private details now,' Rachel thought glumly, knowing that articles were be posting online; probably even photos. The image popped into her head. Beth's arms around JC's neck, one hand cupping the back of his head, her lips firmly pressed to his. Her eyes slid close and a tear escaped as the hurt washed over her again.

 

She brought her hand to cover her mouth, hoping to muffle the sob that threatened to escape. The strong, tough bravado she was trying to pull off was slowly cracking. She sensed rather than saw JC moving closer to her. But before she could hold out a hand to ward him off, she stumbled as the car abruptly stopped.

 

JC reached out, grabbing the railing as the car came to a complete stop. It felt as if someone pulled the emergency stop. Just as suddenly the interior lights clicked off enveloping them into darkness.

 

~*~

 

"JC's in the doghouse now," Chris whistled shaking his head as he watched JC rush from the room after Rachel. People surrounding the show were still silent, watching everything unfold. But the whispered quickly started as JC left the room. He saw cell phones being put to ears and fingers gliding effortlessly over keypads as they shot off text messages to everyone in their contact list.

 

"I think it's gonna be worse than the doghouse," Justin said as the rest of the friends converged together. "Did you see Rachel's face? I'm not sure how JC's gonna make this up to her. If he even can..."

 

"Come on, Guys." Lance spoke up. "You know this isn't going to break them up. A stupid kiss isn't going to mess up five years together."

 

"I don't know... I didn't exactly see him fighting her off," Joey said. "Not that she was giving him much of a chance."

 

"Shut your mouth," Melissa glared at her boyfriend. "You know damn well the last thing JC would ever do is hurt Rachel."

 

"What do you think just happened here, Mel? I didn't see Rachel smiling and laughing." Joey said softly.

 

Melissa blew out a breath trying not to lose her own temper. It took everything she had plus Joey's arm on her to keep her from running after Rachel. "If any of you idiots believe that JC would actually... do this..." She broke off shaking her head, feeling her anger bubbling to the surface.

 

"Bambina..."

 

"Don't Bambina me!" Melissa snapped. "When has JC given any indication that he wasn't completely and disgustingly happy in his relationship? That he didn't love Rachel with everything he has? Do you really think that fake... whore would be able to pull JC away?"

 

"Calm down, Mel," Justin spoke up. "Easy. People are listening."

 

Melissa's mouth immediately shut as she glanced around the room. She glared at anyone making eye contact with her. But she knew ears were listening. They were always listening.

 

"We know JC would never do that." Lance told her softly as the group moved closer together. "But this is going to be blasted all over. It might get worse before it gets better."

 

"Everyone's going to be talking about this. JC's gonna be fielding questions about it. Hell, we're gonna be asked questions about it."

 

"Rachel should have ripped her away from JC by her extensions and tossed her to the ground," Chris spoke up, taking a drink from his glass. "Now that would have been great."

 

"Like Rachel would create a scene. But that's what I wanted to do." Melissa said, grabbing a drink from a passing waiter. "Why was she even here? How did she even get in?"

 

"Hard to tell, Bambina," Joey wrapped an arm around her waist pulling her to his side. He kissed the side of her head. "She's crazy. She's crazy and obsessed with JC."

 

"Where'd she even go?" Melissa asked as she scanned the room. "Hit and run?"

 

Lance nodded, "Probably. There'll be cell phone photos with the articles. Someone probably even took a video. She got what she came for, stirred the pot, caused a scene and left. She figured she put a crack in JC and Rachel's-"

 

"Joshel's," Chris broke in, the grin evident in his words.

 

Lance rolled his eyes at the older man. "It's gonna take something bigger than this to come between those two."

 

"They are disgustingly in love," Justin pointed out. He sighed shoving his hands in the pockets of his slacks. "It's like she knew she needed to mess up tonight for them."

 

"Why?" Four pairs of eyes turned toward the youngest member of the group.

 

Justin grimaced realizing what he had just said. Bringing the group closer together he kept his voice lowered. "JC is... was going to propose tonight."

 

Four jaws dropped to the ground at Justin's words.

 

"Damnit," Chris cursed and finished the rest of his drink. "Of course he was."

 

"Oh," Melissa gasped feeling tears prick the back of her eyes. "Damnit," she pressed her finger tips underneath her eyes in hopes of stopping the tears before they ruined her make up. There was a surge of happiness that rushed through her at Justin's words. Her friend was getting engaged! But it was quickly squashed remembering the earlier events.

 

"About time," Lance muttered, shaking his head. "He's only been fielding that question for how long?"

 

"Ever the perfectionist figured he'd wait another five years to realize it was the real thing." Joey fought to stop fidgeting. He and Melissa had been dating a few months less than JC and Rachel, having met Melissa through Rachel. Marriage had crossed his mind a lot in the past year, but when he sat and thought about it, he wasn't sure it was the right time for them. The group was super busy with appearances, touring, interviews. It was crazy. They were used to it, but that didn't mean it wasn't crazy.

 

"Is that the Fatone Ten-Year-Plan?" Melissa gave him a sideways glance, humor sparkling in her eyes.

 

Joey grinned, "You know it." It had been a joke the past couple of months when Joey answered a question about his relationship with Melissa. He had told the interviewer that even though they had been dating for a little over four years, he wasn't ready to pop the question yet. He had jokingly said he was giving it another four or so years; to which the interviewer replied with the ten year plan.

 

"Should we go and make sure JC's not dangling off a balcony?" Lance asked breaking the silence the group had fallen into.

 

"I'm not sure I want to get in between Rachel and JC, especially when Rachel's mad." Chris piped up. "She'd probably turn her anger toward me."

 

"Chicken." Justin grinned.

 

"I don't see you rushing to help," Chris shot.

 

"I ain't stupid. JC's on his own."

 

Their joking was cut short when the entire room plunged into darkness causing everyone to freeze. When no emergency lights turned on confusion settled upon the room.

 

"Joey, kindly remove your hand from that part of my anatomy," Melissa said.

 

"Sorry," Joey grinned into the darkness. He moved his hands back to her waist, holding tight not wanting to let her go and get separated.

 

"What happened?" Lance asked as small lights started popping up here and there as people pulled out their cell phones using the backlights to see.

 

"Must have lost power," Justin flipped his phone open casting a small glare to their circle. "I don't know why the generator didn't kick on. Or even the emergency lights."

 

"So what do we do? Stay here? Try to go to our rooms?"

 

"And walk up all those flights of....shit!" Chris cursed allowed. "Any chance that Rachel would have ran up the steps instead of getting on an elevator?"

 

"Fuck," Justin's curse followed Chris's question. "There's a chance they already made it to the floor and got off."

 

"Not likely, they haven't been gone that long."

 

"We need to get to the elevator," Melissa's voice rose, almost panicky. "They could be trapped in there."

 

"Mel, Bambina," Joey stopped her from moving away. "How do you expect to find the elevator? We don't even know which one they used. If they used one. We can't even produce enough light to make it from this room. Hell I don't even know which direction the door is in."

 

"Joey's right," Lance spoke up. "They might not even be in the elevator. Even with the light from Justin's phone, I can barely see you guys, let alone be able to make it across the room. We need to stay right here."

 

Melissa sighed, sinking back into Joey. She didn't like the fact that they were just standing there in the darkness doing nothing while their friends might be in trouble.

 

"We try to help Bambina, we might be the ones needing help," Joey whispered in her ear. "They'll get some lights turned back on. Once they do, we'll try to find them."

 

"Okay. I just hope Rachel didn't completely kick JC out and they are alone right now."

 

"Come on Mel," Justin spoke up trying to lighten the mood. "You know JC; Rachel won't be able to shake him. They are probably together and Rachel's giving him the silent treatment."

 

"Speaking of," Chris broke in. "Why do women think the silent treatment is a punishment? It's not. A woman shutting her mouth - a reward."

 

"Ow!" Justin rubbed his arm from the slap.

 

"Sorry Justin, that was supposed to be for Chris," Melissa said and reached out again where she knew Chris was. She swung her arm connecting with a suit jacket. When the proper voice yelped she grinned triumphantly.

 

"And you wonder why you're still single."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: boyfriendjc tabloids