I feel strong today.  Hell, even empowered.  Empowered to make a difference in my life, and help Justin make one in his too.

It’s been so fast.  I hated him, and now I’m in love with him, but I don’t think there’s a thing on the planet that could make the feelings I have for him fade away.  If anything, they’re even stronger since we talked about his father.  I know it took a lot for him to break down and confess the issues he has with his father to me.  In fact, on the way to the mission, he admitted to me that he probably would have packed up and left without a goodbye if I hadn’t come in when I did.

I’m glad he didn’t.

The trip to the mission wasn’t the best, as was to be expected.  Justin walked in there with me, confident as ever.  He held my hand and walked us up to Max and Jules, who seemed to have their hands full as far as directing the food people and the overwhelming amount of press that was there to get a glimpse of Jeanine.

“Max.” He said.

I flinched.

“Can’t you see I’m busy?” Max snapped.

“Jeanine wanted us to come help,” I spoke up, softly.

“We don’t need your help,” Jules said with a glare.  “Just take your date for hire somewhere else.”

Normally I would have caved in, walked away and hid in a corner somewhere until the afternoon was over.  But things were different.  Justin was by my side, and he had made it clear that they were going to stop treating my like an invalid if he had anything to do with it.

I just had no clue what he was going to do.

“Look,” he said harshly.  “There’s a lot of people here that want to eat, and there’s a lot of press to get through.  Now why don’t you let us help you?”

Max snorted.  “Smelly will just fuck everything up.  You know…you might be able to help us though, Justin.  You could talk to the press until my mom gets here.  Regale them all with your big basketball contract at UCLA and then you can tell them the real reason you’re here with Ellie. I’m sure we’d all love to hear the truth.  How is that term paper writing business you have on the side anyway, Smells? Profitable? You gonna get a place of your own with your earnings?”

I froze.  I could feel Justin’s eyes on me but I couldn’t look at him.  I didn’t know what to say, all I knew was that Max had done his research, contacted some people, and found out what it is that I do when I’m at school.

“Speechless?” Jules smiled.  “I bet you’d be even more speechless if I told you we found out you’re writing his term paper to hide the fact that you’re a social outcast from mom and dad.  How does it feel anyway? Having to hire someone to save your humility? Personally I’d kill myself.”

I felt my knees slowly begin to give way underneath me.  They knew.  They probably paid someone at UCLA to find out what classes Justin wasn’t doing well in and put two and two together.

“So what? What are you gonna do?” Justin challenged, squeezing my hand tighter.  “I’m with this girl right now, and I love her.  Go ahead and tell whoever you want about what you know.  You think it’s going to get me kicked out of school? I could care less, and getting your step sister kicked out is going to do more damage to your parents than anything else.  Smart move though, and all to get back at Ellie for…oh wait, what was it again that makes you hate her so much?”

They both just stared at him.  Nobody had ever stood up to them for me, besides Adam, and they never cared what he had to say anyway.

“I’m waiting for an answer,” Justin spoke up.

“She’s never been one of us,” Max said quietly.  “She never will be.”

“Fine.  So just leave her the hell alone.  You’re not kids anymore.”

Again, they said nothing.  I think it might have hit them then, that they were a couple of dimwitted fools going to all that trouble to find out about my supposed “secrets”.  Lord knows, they’d done a hell of a lot worse things in their lifetime.

“You okay?” Justin whispered as he led me over to the food distribution side of the hall.

I smiled at him.  “I’ll be okay.”

We spent the next few hours handing out trays of food to the needy. I’d never done it before, and there was something magical about standing next to the guy I was falling head over heels in love with, helping people who really needed it.  If it weren’t for Max and Jules, I might be enticed to come back next year.

We’ll have to see I guess.  Either way, I have a feeling that Max and Juliet won’t be so hard pressed to make my life miserable now.  I have a feeling they’ll just ignore me, and that’s more than fine.

“So?”

“Hm?”

“Don’t hmm me.” Adam rolls his eyes and continues to apply concealer all over my face.  “What happened with you and Mr. NBA?”

“When?”

He narrows his eyes.  “I was talking about last night, but we can go for all along, honey.  You still haven’t given me details, and don’t hand me that ‘we’ve been together all along’ crap.  We both know that’s a lie.”

I sigh.  I thought he’d skip over the topic because of his hangover, but that’s not how Adam is, and it’s not like I haven’t experienced him hungover before. He remembers all the details after he sobers up.  I should have known better.  “You can’t tell anyone you know.”

“You must really hate me.  Like I’d actually spread gossip around this god forsaken family. Hold still.”

I flinch when he yanks a few hairs out of my eyebrows.  “That hurts you know!”

“Hm, pain is beauty, after all.  Now dish.”

“He was failing his English class so I said I’d write his term paper for him if he came home with me.  I just wanted all of them to lay off me about not having a boyfriend.  I guess it almost worked.  Dad and Jeanine bought it.  Max and Jules saw right through it though.”

“You knew that’s how it would be anyway though.  It’s classic blackmail, El.  I’m not surprised.  We both have the same snakelike traits in us from dad’s side.”

“Adam…”

“Okay and so, he came here with you and now…what?  You two seemed awfully close last night for two people who weren’t even dating at the beginning of the week.”

“You were watching?”

“Periodically,” he laughs.  “Smile.”

I do it and he starts to apply blush, not that I need any right now.  “We just…I don’t know…”

“Discovered you had more in common than you thought? Well congratulations.  I could tell something might happen with you two after I talked to him.  He really is a decent guy, El.  I don’t know how you lucked out like this.  I hope it lasts. He’s really wonderful eye candy…don’t tell Roger I said that.”

I smile at him.  “I’ll tuck it away until I need to blackmail you.”

“I’m disgusted.  Put this lipstick on.”  He thrusts it at me and spins my chair around so I can apply it in the mirror. It’s a color I’d never dream of putting on, but he begged me to be his makeover puppet for the gala tonight to get his name out there amongst Jeanine’s guests, so I begrudgingly agreed.  He promised nothing too over the top, but that could mean anything when it comes to Adam.  I can already tell how flashy the makeup is going to look when I’m done, and I haven’t even seen the dress he made while Justin and I were at the mission. I’m baffled he could even design a dress in that amount of time.  All he said was ‘honey, it’s nothing.’

“Elaborate.  How did the charity function go? Did Max get thrown into a boiling pot of water? How about Jules?”
r32;I finish applying the lipstick, a strange metallic purple color that makes me question everything he’s putting on me tonight.  “Sadly no, but I made it through the day.  I don’t think they’re going to make life as difficult for us anymore.”

“Damn, that’s unfortunate. And how do you know that? Making us feel like outcasts is what they live for.  Blot.”

“Justin put them in their place.”  I take the tissue from him and do it, and he immediately moves a finger around my lips to take away any excess purple gunk I may have left behind.  “Are you sure this is the right color?”

“Hush. Close your eyes.”

I sigh heavily.  “I hate make up Adam.”

“You won’t when I’m do-one.” He sings.

I feel brushes begin to sweep over my eyelids and don’t bother protesting while he works.

“What do you mean Justin put them in their place?”

“He basically told them that we aren’t kids anymore, and to move on with their lives.  For some reason, it seemed to sink in.  Maybe that’s because they deem him as somewhat normal? Who knows.”

“It’s not over, believe me.  Steer clear of them tonight,” he warns me.  “Okay, open.”

I open my eyes.  “I’m not worried about them, Adam.  You shouldn’t be either.”

“I have to be,” he laughs.  “Besides you, I have nobody else on my side.  They gang up on me, Dad does too.  Remember last night at dinner?  Jeanine means well but she’s not exactly going to do much else but scold Max until he shuts up.  I think this is going to be my last Christmas out here.  I can’t take it anymore, El.”

I don’t blame him.  I wish my dad could just open his eyes and realize he has a son that wants to be close to him.  He can’t accept the fact that Adam is gay.  If he could just take a minute to meet Roger properly, he would see how happy they are together.  He never will though.  It’s just not in him.  I think back on all the years my father has resented my brother, and I know…things will always be this way.  Maybe I shouldn’t hate Jeanine as much as I do.  She’s always been there for my brother, believed in him, and helped him achieve the things he wanted to do.  I know she’s gone to New York several times to visit with him and Roger.

Maybe Justin is right.  Maybe she’s not so bad.

Maybe I’ve just been so afraid about forgetting our mother, that I didn’t have it in me to let her in.  If I tried, maybe things would be different.

I guess I’ll never know, because we’ll never be close.

“Okay…moving on from family drudgery.  Stand up,” Adam grins into the mirror.  “I can’t wait to see this on you.”

I do it only so he won’t get depressed.  When I turn around I come face to face with a dress that can only be described as ‘loud metal’.  It glitters, literally.  It’s metallic sliver and Adam managed to sew tiny silver jewels and sequins all over.  It definitely goes with the metallic looking makeup he’s put on me, and the silver stuff he sprayed in my hair, but I know this is way more than I was expecting.  “Adam…”

“I know what you’re thinking.  Don’t even say it, just put it on.”

“But…”

“El you promised.” He gives me his best puppy dog eyes and sticks out his bottom lip.

“God, fine,” I groan and step forward so he can help me into the dress.  “You seriously owe me.”

“You’re gonna be the talk of the party.”

“That’s for sure.”  I narrow my eyes at him as he finishes lowering the dress over my body, and he zips it up in the back.

“You have no faith in me, dear sister.  I’ll have you know, this is the latest trend.  It’s all about glam.  Now turn and look at yourself.”

I don’t recognize myself when I finally turn around to look in the mirror.  I look like one of those models you’d see on a fashion billboard, but I’m sure that’s what Adam was going for.  He’s trying to sell himself and get his fashion line off the ground so he’ll have something to work with next year.r32;
“Look out Tyra Banks,” he giggles.  “You’re gorge.”

“I better not get laughed at.”

He plants a kiss on my cheek.  “So what if you do? Do you really care what these people think?”

“No…but I care what Justin thinks.”

“You’re gorge! He’ll be lucky to have you at his side tonight,” Adam smiles.

I wish I could believe him.
*********************
The gala started twenty minutes ago, but I haven’t gone inside the room yet.  The guests have been filing in and I’ve made myself as inconspicuous as possible.  I want to wait for Ellie, but damn, I don’t get why she’s late.

I hope she’s all right.

“Sorry! I know we’re a little late.”  

I look up and see Adam jogging down the grand staircase, grinning from ear to ear.  He left all his piercings in, but he’s wearing a three piece suit tonight, complete with pinstripes, a fedora, and spats.  “Where is she?”

He comes to stand beside me when he reaches the bottom of the stairs.  “She’s…stalling,” he groans.  “ELEANOR!”

“DON’T CALL ME ELEANOR!”

Adam grins.  “Gets her every time.  By the way, thanks for switching your suit to gray at the last minute. I know how much I hate having to change my whole ensemble an hour before a party.”

“It’s really no big deal,” I laugh.  He came to me frantically about an hour ago, asking if i could wear his gray suit.  I didn’t get it at the time, but since Ellie was getting ready for tonight, I figured I’d make life easier on the both of us and just do it.  “I was happy to do it.”

“Ellie get down here! There’s no sense hiding! You have a handsome young man here dressed up to take you to the biggest dinner gala of the year! You should feel like Cinderella!”  

“I feel like the Tin Man’s wife!”

I glance at Adam and smile.  “What did you do?”

“I made her do something different for once. GET DOWN HERE ELLIE!”

I hear her groan once more before she appears at the top of the staircase.  I don’t laugh…no.  The look is different, I’ll give Adam that, but it’s kind of cool.  I would expect to see her metallic outfit on a runway someplace, not here, but I know it’s Adam’s intention to show off his talent to the rich bastards in the next room tonight.  “Where’d you get it?” I whisper, as Ellie miserably plods down the stairs.

“Surely you can give me more credit than that honey.  I made it, and the makeup style is all mine own, and the hairstyle was my idea too.  Adam Granby, at your service.”

“Thought your last name is Plymouth?”

“Jeanine and I talked about it and I told her I wanted to take her last name when I start my line.  I’m sure you can understand why.”

I nod a little.  I get it.  He doesn’t want to be associated with his father.  It’s sad, but then again, I’d probably do the same thing if my father chastised everything I did in my life.

Oh wait, he does.

“You made him wear a matching colored suit?” Ellie says when she reaches where we are standing.  “Adam, really?”

“It’s part of the package, dahling,” he winks.  “See you inside.”  He pecks her a little kiss on the cheek and saunters away from us, disappearing into the party room seconds later.

“I was waiting for you to start making jingling sounds,” I laugh at her.

“Oh right. Great.” She crosses her arms and glares at me.  “I look like a hunk of metal.”

“I was going to say glitter princess, but whatever you want.”  I pull her towards me and kiss her on the lips.  “Look, in the fashion world, especially the one that your brother is in, we’d make a statement on the runway.  We’re doing it for Adam, that’s all.  He did a nice job on your makeup.  I think it’s cool.  Everyone in there will be in black dresses and tuxes.”

“I’d rather blend in.”

“No.” I shake my head.  “You shouldn’t.  You’re special,” I say quietly and feel my cheeks begin to burn.  “I want everyone to be jealous when I walk you into a room.”  I hold my arm out to her.  “Come on.”

“You’re just trying to make me feel better.”

I smirk.  “Yeah, but it’s working isn’t it?”

“So?”   She loops her arm through mine.  “Let’s just go.”

I lead the way and the door is opened for us when I knock on it.  Jeanine is there to greet us enthusiastically, and I don’t hesitate to kiss her on the cheek.

“You two look amazing,” she gasps.  “Adam told me he was working on something special but I never expected this.  He’s something else.  Right, Eleanor?”

I glance at her and her teeth are gritted, so I decide to answer instead.  “Yeah, really amazing.”

“Why don’t you two get settled at the table, and I’ll come by in a while to take you around the room.  I talked to Mitch about you, and he said he’s very excited to meet you tonight.”

“Wow, thanks,” I smile.

Ellie drags me away to our table, not stopping once to let me take an hors d’oeuvre off a tray or accept a flute of Cristal Champagne.  It’s annoying, but then again, I know she’s uncomfortable in the dress and the fact that we match isn’t helping.  One thing she hasn’t learned during our little experience together is how to relax, not yet.  I don’t think she’s had enough time, but to be honest, that time won’t come soon enough.  

I hope I can last, but I will, because I know I love her.

We’re seated at a table with, guess who, Max, Jules and a few of their friends.  Adam is nowhere to be found, and I’m assuming it’s because he’s working the room.  I’m uncomfortable and when I look over at Ellie, I can tell she wants to run and hide.

“Hey guys, you know our step sister Ellie right?  She kind of fell victim to our step brother Adam’s fashion craze this year.  It’s cool though.  Metal is cool.”

Max says it, and I look up at him, ready to tear him to pieces.  There’s a soft gaze in his eyes though, and a calm expression on his face.  There’s no intimidation right now, no hard feelings, and he’s trying to tell me that.  My mind is blown.

The other guests at the table all nod, acknowledging us.

“This year she brought a date home,” Jules smiles.  “This is her boyfriend, Justin.  El, why don’t you tell us the story of how you met? It’s so cute.”

We sit there in stunned silence for several moments.  I’m waiting for something to happen, for Max to make some really snide remark or for Jules to pour wine over our heads, and I know Ellie is too.  But they don’t do a thing.  They sit there smiling, waiting for Ellie to tell them the story.

So fucking weird.

Did I make that much of an impact on those two? Did they finally come to their senses?

“I was Justin’s English tutor…” Ellie begins slowly, and I give her hand a squeeze of encouragement.  “He plays basketball for UCLA and…apparently he had a crush on me the whole time.”

I smile.  “I thought you had a crush on me?”

Everyone laughs and welcomes us into their conversation for the evening.  Bewildering, yes, but I won’t say a thing.  It’s better for Ellie that they’ve decided to give this a try.  It’s all I could have asked for…it’s a damn Christmas miracle.

God, I hope it lasts.
One of Max’s friends starts talking to me about basketball and the draft the moment I mention my plans, and I’m swept away into the conversation.  At some point I lose track of Ellie and when I look over for her, I find that she’s not there.  Jules is gone too.  “Where’d they go?”  I look at Max.

“Oh…bathroom.  They’ll be back.”  He takes a long drink of his cocktail and tries to hide that sinister smirk of his.

Damn it.  I knew it.  I knew it was too good to be true.

Something isn’t right.  I start to get nervous, and I’m about to get up and go find my girlfriend but then Jeanine appears at the table, all smiles, with the general manager of the Lakers and Ellie’s dad.  How the hell can I leave now?

“Justin, this is Mitch!” Jeanine exclaims.

I force a smile, force myself to do everything my father has always taught me, because there’s no choice.  “It’s great to meet you sir,” I come around the table and shake Mitch’s hand firmly.  “Jeanine has said great things about you.”

“Well I would hope so,” he laughs.  “We’ve been keeping track of you, Justin.  I have to say, I’m impressed.  Now…when can we…”

He starts to ramble on about setting up meetings.  He even wants me to come to one of the teams practices for a private audition.  It’s incredible and I’ve been working my whole life for an opportunity this big.

But I can’t shake the fact that my girlfriend might be in a very uncomfortable situation with her stepsister.

“So when can we set it up?”

“I’m um…I’m sorry,” I tell him.  “I have to step out for a few minutes.”

“Justin?” Jeanine says, baffled.  “What’s going on?”

“I have to go.”  I push past them, and I’m sure I have absolutely no chance with the Lakers now, but it doesn’t even matter.

Ellie matters.

I spot Adam halfway out of the room, and pull him out of a conversation.

“Whoa, honey, you look like you’re going to be sick,” he smiles.  “What’s the matter?”

“Jules took Ellie somewhere.”  I gaze all around the grand room, trying to see if I can spot them, but they’re just not there.  “Did you see them?”

“No…but…why would she go off with Jules?”

“When we sat down they welcomed us.  I thought maybe they decided to listen to what I said…”

His expression pales, and his eyes go wide with intense fear.  “Vultures never change.  Come on.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story