I stood as far apart from Ellie as I could while we waited for our ride to show up.  She stood there, her head held high while she stared straight ahead, as if what I said hadn’t effected her at all.

But I knew it had.  

I could tell she’d been crying before I joined her at the curbside, and all that did was make me feel like a piece of shit.

I was too into the moment when I got angry at her.  I mean, I’m scared.  While it’s going to save my GPA it’s such a big risk, going to meet these people.  I have to be on top of my game, socially.  I’m good at all that stuff too, but…if they find out the truth I have no idea if they’ll take their emotions out on me.  I can’t have bad press before the scouts come.  They’ll never take me seriously.  

Despite all that, I know I shouldn’t have said what I said to her.  Nobody has the right to be that nasty to somebody else, no matter what their status is.  I was ready to apologize to her.  I really was.  I was trying to come up with the right words to say.  I wanted to make a truce, tell her to forget about what was said so we could get through the next week without issues.

But then a stretch limo pulled up to the curb, and when the driver got out, smiled and greeted her as Miss Plymouth, I couldn’t say anything.  It was time for me to play my part, and I figured as long as I did that, it was as good of an apology as anything else I could have said.  

“Who’s this?” The driver smiled as I handed him my duffle bag.

“Oh George this is my boyfriend, Justin.”

It was the first time I had ever seen her smile like that, and I have to admit, she doesn’t have such a bad one.  Although, it did look very foreign on her face.  “Nice to meet you,” I immediately responded, and stuck my hand out for him to shake.

“Pleasure’s all mine.  I work exclusively for Jeanine and the family, so if you need to go anywhere while you’re a guest let me know.”

I thanked him, and he motioned us to get into the limo while he loaded our bags into the trunk.  The minute I was settled into my seat, Ellie joined me, but said nothing.  I wasn’t worried about it then.  I was busy taking in my surroundings.  It’s a pretty amazing limo.  Satellite TV, fully stocked fridge, Bose stereo system.

It’s a taste of what I’ll be getting when I go pro, and I like it.

What I don’t like is being ignored by Ellie, who should be prepping me on what I should say when we arrive.  I want to make a lasting impression with my introduction so a bunch of questions aren’t thrown at me later on.

“El.”

She raises the book higher over her face.

“I know you’re mad at me, okay?”

“Hmph.”

“I’m sorry I was a jerk back there,” I whisper.  “All right? Honestly.”

“Yeah, so?”

I sigh harshly.  “You’re not helping the situation.  We haven’t discussed our story.  How did we meet? How long have we been dating?”

“I’m sure you’ll figure it out, since your personality is so much better than mine.”

“Want me to tell them I hit you with a basketball,” I laugh.  

She groans and puts her book down.  “We’ve been dating for two months. I was your tutor.  It makes sense.  I was your tutor, you asked me to dinner, and for some reason…I said yes.  Match made in heaven.  The end.”

“It was my charm, right?” I smirk.

She glares at me.

“You realize you’re going to have to play the girlfriend part right?  I mean, it’s going to look weird if I’m smiling and touching you, and you’re sitting there with that face you make.”

“I don’t make a face.”

“You do.  It looks like this.”  I do my best impression of her classic expression.  “I should know.  It’s pretty much the only face you ever make.”

“I’ll fake it, don’t worry.  And what do you mean you’ll be touching me? I thought we agreed to draw the line at hand holding.”

“Well…yeah, but I guess I’m going to have to put my arm around you when we’re sitting on the love seat.”

“Try not to.”  

“You’re really bad at this lying game.  If you don’t play your part, I can’t play mine.  What’s the point of doing this, Ellie? You should have taken the money.”

She pushes the book off her lap, and turns toward me, her expression telling me she’s fighting a battle with herself.  “You want to know if I can play my part?”

“I know you can’t,” I smirk.

She doesn’t hesitate, the next thing I know she’s putting a hand on my chest and pressing her lips against mine, lightly at first, but then she deepens the kiss, pulling away just as my eyes begin to close, just before…I’m able to get lost in her.  Then she sits back, picks her book up again, and acts completely unaffected.

“What was that?” My voice is a hoarse whisper.  I stare at her, still frozen in my seat.

“Convinced?” She says, not taking her gaze from her book.

“I uh…yeah.”

She smirks.  “Then shut up and let me enjoy my book.”

I don’t say anything else.  I just gaze out the window and think about what just happened.  It was an act of course but…why did a part of me want it to continue? Why? I have nothing in common with the girl, and I’ve never been attracted to her.  She’s dressed frumpier than ever today.  Long wool skirt down to her ankles and a cream colored turtleneck.  She made absolutely no effort with hair and makeup.  It’s her normal appearance, concrete and dull.

But damn, she’s a good kisser.  I can’t deny that.

Does that make me crazy?

Fuck.  I can’t do this to myself.  I can’t think about this. No distractions, I can’t have any distractions, and this morning I was a little bit thankful to be going to Ellie’s.  I knew I’d be so removed from everything that I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on anything else besides ball.

But my heart is still beating rapidly in my chest, I can still feel the way her lips felt against my own, and I can feel the perspiration on my brown and under my arms.  Is it just because I haven’t gotten any in a week or so? It’s gotta be.

I could never go for a girl like her.

I keep telling myself that the rest of the way to the house.  We end up in a very rich section of Bel Air, where the houses are so huge they could have their own zip codes.  I’ve always said I would move here if I signed a big contract with the Lakers, but I never thought this would be the way I’d experience the area for the first time.  

What’s more, when we pull up to the house, it turns out to be the biggest one on the block.  The gates part after our driver buzzes the intercom and then we pull onto the larger than life estate.  I can’t help but gawk at the surroundings.  Fountains and statues line the circular driveway, and the house itself looks more like a palace.  “This is the house?” I whisper.

“Yeah.”  She drones.  “Welcome to paradise.”

The car stops in front of the large staircase that leads into the house, and I know we’ve finally arrived.  This is it.  There’s no turning back now.  The door is opened for me within seconds and when I get out, I take in the full scale of the entire property.  It sprawls out in every direction.  I feel like I’d get lost if I went exploring.  Search party kind of lost.

This is insane.

I turn to Ellie. She’s helping George get our bags out of the car like she’s the hired help.  I can tell she hates this lifestyle, crazy as it is.  She’s removed from it I guess.  It’s never suited her.  She doesn’t know how good she has it.  If my dad was this rich, I wouldn't’ have to worry about scholarships or anything else.  We could most likely buy my way into the pros.  I’d give anything for that kind of advantage.

“I’ll bring your bags in,” George says.  “You two just go inside.”

“I can help, George,” Ellie says.

“El,” I say, flashing my best boyfriend like smile and putting an arm around her.  “I think we should let the man do his job, huh?”

She glares at me, but doesn’t protest.  “Sure honey.” She pulls herself away from me, and holds out her hand.  “Back to hand holding for now, got it?”

I laugh.  “Yeah…”  Crazy. I was the one who made it so clear I didn’t want to touch her in the beginning.  I guess she just…seems to need that. She needs somebody to be by her side and treat her well, even though..she’s never going to let me in.

She doesn’t let anyone in.

Not that I care.

I lace my fingers through hers as requested, and we walk up the steps.  Ellie takes in a long breath before she rings the doorbell, and shifts from one foot to the other while we wait for somebody to answer.  She’s so scared, and I wish I could help her, but the truth is I’m probably more scared than she is.

The door opens, and one of the most breathtaking women I’ve ever laid eyes on stands before us.  It’s not Jeanine.  She’s younger, our age most likely.  Tall, blonde haired, blue eyed, killer smile.  She could model.  She’s amazing.  I’m almost drooling, and then I get a hold of myself.

“Oh Ellie…” She trails off.   Her smile is forced, until her gaze lands on me.  “Welcome home.” She says it to me instead of Ellie.  “Mom said you were bringing someone home.  Max and I were taking bets…oh well…anyway, who’s this?”

“Justin,” I smile.  “And you are?”

I feel Ellie twisting my hand so hard that it starts to hurt.  

“Jeanine’s daughter, Juliet,” she grins and her eyes dart over to Ellie.  “Ellie, didn’t you tell him about me?”

“I didn’t get around to it,” she says darkly.

“So what…don’t tell me you’re dating?” She laughs.  “Oh my god, Justin, you poor thing.  How do you do it? She’s paying you right?”

I can’t look her in the eye so instead, I look at Ellie again.  Her face has turned bright red, and already…I know her situation at home is a lot more complicated than I originally thought.  

“She’s a great girl.”  I force myself to give her a light kiss on the forehead.

Juliet gives me the oddest look I’ve ever seen.  It’s like, she’s amazed anyone would want something to do with Ellie.  “Who Ellie? Are you serious?”

A minute ago she was exactly the type of girl I’d go for.  Now…I wish she’d disappear.

“You gonna invite us in, Juliet?” I say it to her seriously, doing my best to sound professional but dismissive at the same time.

“Oh…well yeah,” Juliet rolls her eyes. “Everyone is milling around inside.  Ellie knows her way around, so just get settled in okay?  Maybe I’ll see you later, Justin.”  She winks at me, like she’s not done with me yet, and walks away from us as we make our way into the massive foyer.

Once we’re alone Ellie rips her hand from mine, gives me a look like she’s going to be sick, and runs away from me.

“Ellie,” I call out, and follow her down a hallway.  She beats me to a doorway, and when I try to follow her into a fancy powder room, she slams the door in my face.  “Ellie!” I knock on the door.  “Come on, girl.  It’s nothing.”

No answer, just sobbing, and I know I have to let her be for a while.

I sigh and lean my back against the door.  Not even ten minutes into this little visit and I can already tell had bad things are.  If Juliet was like that, I can’t imagine how everyone else must treat her.
r32;Now more than ever, I understand why she was so determined to bring me here.  It was her big attempt at fitting in, but I don’t think she’ll ever succeed at that.  These people are entirely too narrow minded to accept her as she is.

And I thought I had a big ego.

“Was it Jules or Max?”

I look to my left.  A young man is standing there.  His hair is cut in unique angles. Some parts of it are dyed purple, and other parts are blue. He has a piercing in his lip, one in his eyebrow, and countless ones in both of his ears. He wears eyeliner, a skin tight tee that bares the word normal in fancy script, and tight leather pants, with a cocky smirk to match.

Where the hell am I?

“Juliet.”

He nods.  “Give El a few minutes.  You must be the boyfriend Jeanine told me about?”

I nod, hesitantly.  What’s next?  “Justin.”

“I’m Ellie’s brother Adam.  The real one, not the asshole.  Have you had the pleasure of meeting Max yet?”

"No."

He smiles and holds his hand out.  I shake it.  "Then you got lucky.  It’s nice to meet you, although, not under these circumstances.  Jules is a witch.  She won’t even come near me.  I think she’s jealous because I look better in eyeliner than she does.”

I like him already.  “I totally agree.”

He smiles.  “Then let me get you settled in, before the rest of the vultures discover you.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story