Story Notes:
Don't own or know any well known people I own Amelia and Hailey
The room was bustling with activity, from the machinery to the constant praises from the nurses to the expecting new parents. Every ear shattering scream from the mother-to-be was enough to make glass break. "You did this to me, and I hate you for it", she cried as she squeezed the tall slender man's hand.

He leaned over to press a kiss to her temple. "I know, baby, but you have to breathe". He took the damp cloth and patted her forehead. "Just think, in a little bit we will be holding our baby." His wife looked into his eyes then squeezed his hand as she began to push again. After letting out a deafening scream, she flopped back on the bed.

"Jace, I can't do this anymore. I just...I can't", she whispered in tears.

Wiping her tears, JC leaned his head against hers. "Yes, babe, you can. I know you can. Please just one more push and it will be over."

The doctor raised her head from where she was sitting. "Yes, Melissa, you can do this. Just one more, and the baby will be here."

With that encouragement, Melissa bore down and gave the biggest push she had given since she had been admitted to the hospital that morning. A few seconds later, the most beautiful sound JC or Melissa had ever heard came from their beautiful baby.

Their thoughts were interrupted by the doctor. "It's a girl!" She smiled at the new parents. "Dad would you like to cut the chord?"

JC's eyes grew wide as he looked between his wife and the doctor. Shaking his head, JC replied. "Um, no. I don't do well around that stuff."

Letting out a small chuckle, the doctor handed the bundle to a nurse. She then looked to the couple and noticed that Melissa's face looked pale. "Melissa, are you okay?"

JC's eyes were torn away from his baby girl to the woman who brought her into this world, his wife. "Baby, talk to me."

Melissa's eyes began to roll back into her head. Then the erratic beeping of her monitors began.

"Melissa!", JC cried.

One of the nurses began to push him out the door. "We will have someone get you when we know what is going on, sir." With that, the woman shut the door.

JC stared at the door then walked over to a set of chairs that sat across from her room. He heavily sat down.

It had seemed like hours when the doctor finally came out of the room. JC quickly stood up. "Is she ok? Can I see her? What happened?". With each question, tears began to fall.

Shaking her head, the older woman motioned for him to sit down. " She lost too much blood. There was nothing we could do. I'm sorry, Josh."

Glaring at the woman, JC shook his head. "No. No, you can't. No, she has to be alive."

"I'm sorry, I really am." With that, she left him alone in his state of mourning.

*beep beep beep*

Groaning from under the covers, JC willed his alarm clock to stop.

*beep beep beep*

Covering his head with a pillow, he played the events of that day and the dream over and over in his head, as he tried to block out the annoying sound.

*beep beep beep*

He lifted his head to look at the clock. It read 4:30 AM. He was about to reach over and turn off the annoying machine, until he felt a tiny arm press itself onto his chest. He looked to where his daughter slept peacefully at his side, snuggled close to him. He leaned over and pressed a kiss to her cheek. He then proceeded to turn off his alarm. He sat up and moved to the edge of the king sized bed. He threw his feet over the edge and sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. As he placed his arms on his legs, he saw a picture of his deceased wife.

"It's been three and a half years, babe. Wow, almost four years. We should have been working on kid number two by now." He thought bitterly.

Sighing, he stood up and walked to the bathroom that occupied the suite he and his daughter shared. "It's not fair."

With that, he shut the door behind him as he entered the bathroom.

Fifteen minutes later, a freshly showered JC exited the bathroom. He crossed the room to where the bed was. He pulled the covers over his sleeping daughter and kissed her dark brown curls. "See you later, sweetheart. Daddy has to go to work for a little while". He brushed some of her hair away from her face. "Man, you look so much like your mom when you sleep.", he thought. A knock interrupted his alone time with his baby girl.

"Boss?" a husky voice questioned.

JC's eyes moved from the sleeping girl to the man he had hired to be his daughter's bodyguard - not that she needed one. Standing up from where he was kneeling beside the bed, JC walked over to the man. "Thanks Aaron. I'll be back at about three." He knew the schedule for promotions for the new single might go longer, but he always liked to have a time frame of when he could at least call to check in.

Nodding his head, the bodyguard sat down on the couch to read the newspaper as JC left the room.

"JC, can you tell us about your single?", the DJ asked.

Taking a drink from his water bottle, JC smiled. "Yeah, it's basically about a guy who finds out his girl is pregnant with another man's kid."

Nodding in understanding, the DJ laughed. "Is this based on real life experience?"

JC's eyes narrowed at the man in anger and protection for his daughter. "No man, it was just an idea that was cooked up."

Noticing the angry look in JC's eyes, the DJ moved on. "Ok. Here is JC's new single Until Yesterday." Putting the track on play, the DJ turned his attention back to JC. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to step over the line with that whole real life thing."

Shaking his head, JC looked at his watch. "Look, I know that the tabloids have pictures of my daughter, but I'd appreciate it if we could stick with my music and not my personal life." Rubbing his face, JC sighed. "I know it's not your fault. I just want her to be as far away from this life as I can keep her."

Slapping his hand on the singer's shoulder, the DJ smiled. "All right. Do you want to leave now or finish this up then leave?"

Sighing, JC chuckled. "No man, I'll stick around. It's always good to see you."

"12:30. Man, I'm hungry." JC thought sitting in the green room waiting to go on for a nationally televised show. "Maybe I should call Hailes." He pulled out his phone and dialed Aaron's number. Placing the phone to his ear, he patiently waited.

"Hewoah?", a little girls voice answered, then let out a loud giggle as the voice of Aaron came over the line. "Sorry about the rugrat. Hello?"

Laughing at his daughter's innate ability to be outgoing, an attribute she didn't pick up from him or his wife. "Hey Aaron. Can you put that rugrat back on the phone?" His eyes twinkled with love and happiness.

Laughing at his own words, Aaron nodded. "Yeah boss. Let me tell her you are on the line." A minute later, his daughter's voice was heard over the line. "Daddy?"

JC began to relax on the couch he sat on. "Hey Hailes. How is my baby girl?"

Giggling, Hailey smiled into the phone. "Hungwee."

Chuckling into the phone, JC smiled. "Yeah, I know what you mean. Daddy is hungry too." Taking a deep breath, he continued. " If you are good, I'm sure Aaron will take you down stairs to get something to eat."

Nodding her head, Hailey frowned. "Daddy home now?"

Shaking his head, JC sat forward with his face in his hand that wasn't occupied by the phone. "No baby, I will be back soon." Hearing his daughter's tear filled cries, all he wanted to do was go back to the hotel and take her home to California. "I love you, cutie. Can you get Aaron for me?"

Her soft cries were heard as she answered. "Uh huh." JC could hear the phone being passed to her bodyguard. "Hey boss, what do you want me to do for her?"

"Just take her down stairs and get her what she wants. Just don't let her have ice cream. That is for after dinner, not lunch."

Understanding where his boss was coming from, Aaron laughed. "Yeah, I tell that to my own kids. I'll make sure she eats well."

JC's attention was drawn to the door when a woman with a headset poked her head into the room. "Hey, man. I gotta go. I'm being called to the stage."

Three o'clock couldn't come fast enough for JC as he walked out of the station that he had done another interview in. He took his cell phone from his pocket to call his little girl again. Waiting for the ring tone to stop and for a live voice to come over the line, he began getting bombarded by the paparazzi trying to get the latest buzz about the latest fodder. "JC, is it true you and Chace Crawford are together?" "JC, who is the baby's daddy?" Quickly walking toward the SUV that would take him to the hotel, once he reached the open door to the vehicle he jumped in.

Fifteen minutes later, and JC was right in front of the door that lead to his suite. Using his key, he opened the door and walked in. He set his bag next to the door and his sunglasses on the table behind the couch. As he rounded the couch and sat down, he called, "Hailey? Aaron? You guys here?". The pitter patter of his daughter's feet could be heard heading straight for him.

"Daddy!", she cried with excitement as she rounded the couch and climbed up to sit on her father's lap.

JC grunted as Hailey got comfortable. "Hey, Hailes. How's my baby?"

Smiling up at him, with eyes that mirrored his own, she leaned up to whisper in his ear. "I saw daddy on teebee."

JC's eyes crinkled as he smiled down at her. "Really? What did daddy do?"

Hailey giggled. "You singed." She slapped her hands over her mouth to stop herself from laughing with little effect.

Laughing heartily at his daughter's antics, JC hugged his daughter close to his chest. "I love you so much." He kissed her forehead.

"Daddy, I squished", she giggled from beneath his arms.

Releasing her from his grip, he brushed her hair back in place. "Ok baby. What do you want for dinner?"

Hailey's eyes widened "Pizza!", she cried.

Aaron walked into the room "Oh good. You are here. Now we can eat. She has been wondering when you were going to be back."

He looked to his daughter, then back at Aaron. "Hey, we are going for pizza, want a free meal?"

Eyeing the scene before him, Aaron chuckled. "I'll go if I can pay for my own food."

JC looked down to his daughter. "You want Aaron to go with us?" Seeing his daughter's head bounce up and down from her nodding, he smiled. "Alright, man. Let's go. Come on baby, daddy needs to get up."

His daughter reluctantly slid off his lap then took his hand as he got up off the couch. Sighing, JC walked hand in hand with the little gilrl over to where Aaron stood.

"Baby, go get your coat and shoes, ok?", JC said. Hailey nodded and went to where her shoes and coat were.

He looked at Aaron. "Listen Aaron, there might be some paparazzi staking out the place and some of the questions they ask are going to be off the wall stuff. So, if you don't mind taking her while we are out side, I would appreciate it."

"Yeah boss. I don't understand why they think you are with Chace Crawford. I mean, the man is nice and all, but you and him with her? Yeah, that's too much pretty in one relationship. Although, the missus was a fine piece of..." Before he could finish his sentence, Hailey re-entered the room with her things.

"Alright cutie, let's get you ready." JC knelt down to help her put her shoes on.
After getting Hailey ready for the outing, JC stood and held out his hands for his daughter. She took the invitation to be held by her father. "Alright sweetie, let's get some grub, shall we?" Giggling, Hailey nodded her head.

Aaron held the door open so JC could exit the room. As the trio exited the elevator that took them from JC's floor, the sound of classical music from the lobby speakers could be heard. JC slowed his pace as they reached the front of the hotel.

"Boss, you want me to take her?", Aaron questioned.

Shaking his head, JC wrapped his arms even tighter around his daughter. "Ok baby, if you don't like all the noise and the lights, then you just put your head right here." He patted his own shoulder to emphasize to her that it was ok to be scared.

Hailey nodded then pointed toward the doors. "We goin' owsside?"

JC nodded as he put his sunglasses on. "Yep, we are going outside." Turning to see Aaron's facial expression turn serious, JC nodded his head to psych himself up for the encounter he would soon be faced with.

Exiting the hotel, JC held Hailey close to his chest as he and Aaron made their way through the crowd of paparazzi to the awaiting SUV that would take them to the restaurant.

Arriving at the pizza restaurant, Aaron exited the car first then took Hailey from her seat and then proceeded toward the entrance of the place. JC took his time to get out of the car so that Aaron could get Hailey out of the sight of the paparazzi.

After Aaron went into the restaurant, JC stepped out of the SUV and told the driver he would call when they were ready to leave.

Quickly making his way past the photographers, JC could hear the questions and accusations of him being in a relationship with a man he had only seen twice in his life. Waving to them as he entered the restaurant, JC saw his daughter and Aaron waiting for him at a booth in the far back corner of the place.

He made his way over to them. "Sorry about that guys. So, what are we having?" Picking up the menu, JC scanned through the items trying to decide what he was going to drink.

Not too long after JC sat at the table, a young waitress approached the table, who, in JC's eyes, looked to be barely out of high school.

"Hello, my name is Bridget, and I will be your waitress. What can i get for you guys to drink?" She smiled brightly as she turned her attention to JC.

Aaron raised his hand. "Miss, I'll have a water."

Nodding as she wrote his order for water, the waitress turned to JC, who was busy helping Hailey color on her placemat. "Sir?"

Noticing that the woman's attention was on him, JC straightened as he looked at the menu for a second then back at the waitress. "I'll have a beer."

Aaron looked to his boss. "Uh boss? Are you sure you want to do that?", he questioned.

JC looked down to his daughter. "You know what? Let me have one beer and that's it."

Scribbling down the information, the waitress nodded her head. "Ok, your drinks will be right out." She started to walk away when she whipped back around. "I'm so sorry, but what would she like?", she asked, nodding her head toward Hailey.

The two men chuckled. JC turned to Hailey to ask her what she wanted. "What do you want to drink, honey?"

With her attention still on her coloring, Hailey replied, "What daddy's having."

Again, a burst of laughter came from the two men.

JC turned to the waitress. " She will have a kid's lemonade."

Smiling, the waitress wrote down that information. "Ok, I will give you some time to decide on what to have for dinner and appetizer, that is if you want an appetizer. If not, then I can..." Her rambling was interrupted by Hailey.

"Daddy, she talks awatt."

Staring in horror at his daughter's blunt remark, JC's cheeks began to turn red. He turned his attention to the young woman. "I am so sorry. I just can't seem to find the off button on her bluntness." He turned to give a glare to his daughter, then looked back at young woman. "I'm sorry."

Giggling, the young woman smiled. "Don't worry. But, she's right. I don't mean to be all teenie here, but can I get your autograph? I have been a huge fan of yours since the Disney Nsync concert."

Smiling at the woman, JC nodded. "Yeah sure. Can I borrow a pen and paper?"

Starstruck, the woman stared in disbelief that her idol would simply take the time to do this for her. "Oh yeah, here." She tore a page out of her pad of order forms then handed him a pen that was in her apron.

Scribbling down his signature, JC smiled knowing this was her dream come true. "Here you go, honey." He handed her the paper.

With the biggest grin on her face the woman took the paper. "Thank you so much."

Nodding his head, JC smiled back. "No problem."

With that, the woman walked away. Turning his attention back to Aaron and Hailey, JC could see the wonder in both his daughter's and Aaron's eyes. "What?"

Hailey giggled and motioned for him to lean closer to her. He did as he was directed. She then cupped his ear with both her hands and whispered as quietly as she could. "She kinda weird."

Giving his daughter a parental look, he said, "And what is your observation there Aaron?". He brought his eyes to meet the other man's eyes.

"I think Amelia should hear about that firecracker you've been raising."

He shook his head at the mention of Amelia's name. "Man, you keep saying that she and I are good for each other, but she is just a friend."

Aaron pointed to the tv that was directly across from them. "That woman is just a friend? Boss, I know you are sick and tired of hearing this, but she is good for you. She helped you a lot since Melissa died."

He watched the television as his friend Amelia, better known to him and his family and friends as Ami, interview a celebrity and give her straight opinion on the deeds of others. "Yeah, I know she is a good woman."

He kept watching as Ami listened intently to her interviewee.

Seeing the look in JC's eyes, Aaron smiled to Hailey. "You know what kiddo? I think your daddy is in love.", he chuckled at his own observation of his boss and friend.

JC turned his attention to Aaron. "Aaron, please. I just want to spend a quiet night with my daughter."

Seeing the confused look on Hailey's face, JC shook his head. "Aaron thinks I need a girlfriend. Can you believe that, Hailes?"

The mischievious look in his eye made her giggle.

Hailey turned to her father. With curiousity etched onto her angelic face, she asked, "Daddy? What's a giwlfwend?"

Shaking his head, Aaron leaned forward. "It's what your daddy needs."

Giving Aaron a disapproving glare, JC smiled to his daughter as the drinks were brought to the table. "Thank you", JC said to the waitress as she left. Turning back to his daughter, JC continued. "A girlfriend is a friend that is a girl." Thinking he had answered to his daughter correctly, he sat back cooly in his chair.

Looking at her father, Hailey smiled with her bright blue eyes. "Is Bwee my giwlfwend?"

Thinking of his former band mate's little girl, JC laughed. "No. Well yeah. When daddy's have girlfriends it usually means that he likes her a lot. Like how Bree's daddy likes her mommy. With you and Bree though, you two are just friends. Like sisters."

Making a face at the thought, Hailey nodded her head as she reached for her drink.

JC turned to look at Aaron who was chuckling. "Hey, you were the one that said I needed a girlfriend", he said pointing a finger in the other man's face.

Backing away from his boss in a joking manner, Aaron held his hands up. "I just call it like I see it boss, and what I see is that you...", he pointed at JC. "...have a thing for The Devil From Down Under." He pointed to the tv.

Smiling at the nickname that the general media had given Amelia, JC shook his head in defeat. "Ok, what if I do have feelings for her? She wouldn't think for one minute of being my girlfriend. She and I are at two different levels in our lives. Besides, she is ten years younger than me. Why would she want all of this?", he asked, waving his drink around the table. He then took a long gulp before he slammed the bottle down onto the table. "I'm going to the bar, watch her for me?"

Before Aaron could answer, JC was taking a seat at the bar and ordering another drink.

Shaking his head, Aaron turned to look at Hailey as the little girl sat staring at her father's back in sadness. "Ok, kiddo. As soon as the pizza gets here, let's go back to the hotel."

She nodded her head, still staring at where her father sat dejectedly. "Why is daddy sad?"

Shrugging, Aaron took a sip from his water. "I don't know honey, but I think he misses your mommy."

Playing with the napkin that was placed before her, Hailey looked up at Aaron. "Ami can be my mommy." She beamed at her own brilliance.

Laughing at the little girl's resilience, Aaron pulled her in for a hug as the pizza was brought to the table. "Oh, sweetheart. Your mommy would be so proud of you." Looking up to the waitress as she placed the last bit of food onto the table, Aaron smiled. "Miss? Can I get a box for this stuff? I am taking this one home."

Nodding her head, the young woman smiled. "Sure, let me get your check. Will Mr. Chasez be staying?"

Looking over to where his boss was sitting watching a football game, Aaron nodded. "Yeah, he will. Can you let him know that we are leaving?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll go get the check and tell him. Would you like a drink while you wait?"

Shaking his head, Aaron smiled as the woman walked away.

After informing JC that they were leaving, Aaron took Hailey back to the hotel while JC stayed at the bar.

JC sat staring at his half empty mug as the bartender stood before him. "What can you get for loss?"

Looking at the younger man, the bartender put the glass he was cleaning back on the shelf. "It depends on what you lost." Turning back to face JC, he continued. "If it's a pair of keys? Then Triple A. If it's money? Possibly an angry wife or girlfriend. If it's a loved one? Nothing but friends, family, and a new love."

Nodding his head, JC took a swig of his drink. "What if this new love doesn't know you love her?"

Leaning onto the bar, the bartender smiled. "You tell her. That's the only way to see if it will work out." He stood back up.

Nodding in understanding, JC took the last sip from the mug. "Can I get something a little stronger?"

"Yeah, but I'm only letting you have this last one because you've had way too much to drink already." The bartender shook his head as he began to make another drink.

JC raised his hand in compliance. "I get it. You don't want my stupid drunkenness to come back and haunt you because I was too drunk to drive." Taking a peanut out of the little dish that sat in front of him, he stood up. "You know what? Whatever man, I'm out of here." He drunkenly backed away from the bar and tossed a large bill onto the bar, then stumbled his way out of the bar area.

The bartender looked over at a tall muscular man who was standing by a table talking to one of the waiters. "Hey, Dave? Can you help this man be on his way?"

Dave looked at JC who was grumbling about not needing help. Dave walked up to him. "Hi, how are you doing buddy? My name is Dave, and I will help you get to where you need to be safely."

JC glared at the taller man."I don't need a driver. I've had plenty of those in my life. What I need is..." His facial expression changed. "I need my wife back."

Nodding in understanding, without really knowing the situation, Dave smiled as he helped JC leave through the back door. "I'm sorry sir. Look, let me get you to where you need to be. By the way, where is that?", he asked as he lead JC to his truck.

Opening the door and climbing in, JC shook his head as Dave got into the driver's seat. "The hotel up the street." He leaned his head onto the cold glass window on his side of the car.

Seeing that his passenger was passed out from the drinking he had put himself through, Dave drove to the hotel where he was met with hotel security. Rolling down his window, Dave asked one of them to help him take JC to his room. They helped JC to the elevator and up to the 15th floor. "Ok, buddy. Where is your room?"

JC looked to Dave, then down the hall, then back at Dave. "Back to the good old days. Two doors down." He then leaned against a wall. "You know what's so different about all of this?"

Shaking his head in confusion, Dave noticed the same man that was originally with JC. "Hold that thought, sir. Let me get someone to help you to your room." Walking over to the big black man, Dave cleared his throat. "Excuse me."

Pacing the hall wondering where his boss was, Aaron almost didn't hear the voice. "What? Oh, sorry. Can I help you?"

Nodding his head in JC's direction, Dave smiled. "I think I picked up a straggler. I don't mean to be rude, or butt in, but where is his wife?"

Looking at Dave, with protection for JC as if he were his own brother, Aaron sighed. "I'm sorry. That's not my information to give. Thanks for bringing him back here safely."

"No problem." With that Dave left.

Noticing that Dave was gone, JC looked at Aaron. "Aaron, my main man. My bread and butter. My daughter's best friend. Can you call Amelia for me and tell her that I want to talk to her now?" He stumbled into the room and fell onto the couch without even breaking anything.

Seeing that JC was drunk, Aaron sadly shook his head. "Not now. You need to be more sober for that conversation to go down."

Looking at JC's still form, Aaron moved closer to the couch to see that JC was sound asleep from the stresses of being a single father and the struggles to make a career as a solo artist.

Sighing, Aaron grabbed a blanket from the arm chair and placed it over JC. "That woman loves you, and you don't even see it", he chuckled as he went to his room to sleep.

"JC, where are you?", Melissa shouted as she set her purse down onto the kitchen counter.

Hearing his wife's voice, JC smiled. "In here, babe", he called from his music room that was down the hall.

Shaking her head, Melissa walked down the hall toward the room. "Here you are." She smiled placing her arms around his shoulders while he played the baby grand piano that dominated the room. "Oh, what's this song?"

Smiling at her curiosity, JC turned his head. "This is something I cooked up about you." He stopped playing to kiss her lips. He then continued. "It's also a song for the baby."

Looking down at the swell of her stomach, Melissa ran her hand along the curves of it. "Hear that baby? Your daddy wrote a song for us."

Arching a brow at her in mischief, JC chuckled as he turned around on the bench to place his hands on both sides of her belly. "Baby, your mommy is nuts." He leaned closer so that his lips were practically touching her belly. "But, that's what I love about her." He kissed her belly. Slowly, his gaze traveled to her face. "I love you." He stood and wrapped his arms around her.

Looking up at him, Melissa smiled lovingly. "And I you." With that, their lips met.

"So, why were you looking for me?", he asked as he placed his forehead against hers.

Biting her bottom lip, Melissa thought about how she was going propose this idea to him.

Before she could even get it out, JC groaned "Mel, how much is this going to cost me?" She could see the twinkle in his eye.

Playfully hitting him in the chest, Melissa gasped. "What makes you think I want to buy something? Besides, I have my own money, remember?", she said. She waved her hand around to the collection of photos that she had taken of different celebrities including her husband and his four band mates.

Sighing, JC rubbed his face with his hand. "Ok, then what do you want?"

She smiled as she took his hand and led him to the kitchen. "Remember Amelia?"

Taking a moment to think, JC snapped his fingers. "The devil from down under?"

Throwing her head back to laugh, Melissa nodded her head. "Yeah, that's the one. I was thinking that you should do another interview with her."

Taking a water bottle out of the fridge, JC turned to look at her with a raised brow. "And why would I be doing that?"

Shaking her head Melissa walked up to him and slid her arms around his waist. She looked up at him. "I think it would be good for you."

Setting the bottle down, JC smiled. " I'll talk to Eric, then call her people and see what they think."

Standing on her tip toes Melissa kissed his cheek. "I'll call her and tell her to come over."

"You had this all planned didn't you?"

Nodding her head sheepishly, Melissa smiled.

Taking a few steps toward the phone, she could feel the cramping she had been feeling all day get worse. She stopped dead in her tracks as she felt it hit. "Not yet", she whispered as she put her hands on her belly.

JC rushed to her side "Baby, what's wrong?". He helped her to sit down.

With tears in her eyes, Melissa looked into his eyes. "I think this baby wants out now."

Eyes widening, JC looked at her belly, then to her, and then back. "Now? You still have two weeks."

Nodding, Melissa gritted her teeth as another contraction hit. "I know. Call the doctor, please."

Kissing her forehead, JC ran to the phone and dialed the doctor. After he spoke with the doctor, as he set the phone on the hook, he turned to look at her. "Babe? Who do you want me to call?", he asked as he picked up the phone again.

"Amelia", she whispered.

Worried for his wife's well being, JC dialed the number she told him. He called Amelia to inform her that his wife was in labor.



-The Next Day-


JC stared at the door then walked over to a set of chairs that sat across from her room. He sat down heavily.

What seemed like hours, passed when the doctor came out of the room. JC quickly stood. "Is she ok? Can I see her? What happened?" With each question, tears began to fall.

Shaking her head, the older woman motioned for him to sit down. " She lost too much blood. There was nothing we could do. I'm sorry, Josh."

Glaring at the woman, JC shook his head. "No. No. You can't. No she has to be alive."

"I'm sorry, I really am." With that, she left him alone in his state of mourning.

Sobbing into his hands, he didn't notice a hand on his shoulder. Amelia began to cry with him.

A few minutes later, JC was allowed to go in to say his final goodbye to the woman he promised to love for the rest of his life.

Leaving Amelia alone in the hall, JC walked through the doors.

A few hours later, JC stood staring down at his daughter in his arms. With tears in his eyes, he rocked her back and forth in the chair he sat in, in the neonatal unit. JC hummed the song he had been working on for this new baby and her mommy.

"That's a beautiful song. Melissa would have loved it."

Looking up, he saw Amelia standing at a distance. JC smiled through his tears. "She does. I played it for her before this little one decided to make her grand appearance", he said while holding his daughter close to his chest. More tears filled his eyes.

Allowing him to shed his tears, Amelia stepped a little closer to the man that she had only met once. "Hi. My name is Amelia. I am, or was, a friend of Melissa's", she said with a thick Australian accent.

Watching as his daughter snuggled close to his body, JC smiled. He trailed a finger along her soft delicate cheek. "Nice to see you again. But, if you don't mind I'd like to be alone."

Nodding in understanding, Amelia turned and left the nursery.

*beep beep*

"Huh?", JC thought as he heard that all too familiar sound.

*beep beep*

Lifting his head from under the pillow, he instantly regretted it. "Why do they let me drink that much?", he thought as he groaned in agony.

*beep beep*

Burying his head under the pillow to block out the sound, JC groaned again.

*beep...*

"Good morning, boss", Aaron cheerfully said as he tried to pull the pillow from JC's tight grip.

Rolling over onto his back and placing his arm over his face, JC whispered, "Don't you dare let me do that again."

Chuckling at JC's words, Aaron held out his hand with two pills in his palm and in his other hand a glass of water. "I thought you might want these for the hangover."

JC lifted his arm to see what Aaron was talking about. "Dude, you are heaven sent."

"Yeah, yeah. Get showered up. We are heading back to LA in two hours."

Grumbling, JC took the pills and drank the water before he laid his head back on the plush pillow. "I had the weirdest dream last night."

Sitting down in a chair, Aaron looked at JC. "Oh yeah? What was it about?"

JC shook his head. "Well, it was not just a weird dream. It was more of a flash back to the day Melissa died and how I actually got to know Ami."

Nodding his head, Aaron stood. "She would want you to move on. Maybe the reason she wanted you to meet with Ami that day was to make sure you were taken care of."

Shocked at the idea, JC narrowed his eyes. "That just doesn't make sense."

"Who knows boss. Maybe Melissa deep down knew she was not going to be with us much longer."

Shaking his head, JC moved to the edge of the bed. Placing his feet on the carpeted floor, he looked at Aaron. "I still miss her."

Nodding in understanding, Aaron smiled. "I know. But, you have a little girl that needs her daddy and a female friend..." He emphasized the word with air quotes. "...who would do anything for the two of you. What you need to do is get off your sorry butt and do something about it."

"I know."

Breathing a sigh of relief, JC shut the door to his home. Hailey slowly walked her way to the couch in front of him. JC placed their bags down by the door. "Baby, are you sleepy?"

Looking back at her father. Hailey nodded with a tiny pout. "I'm sweepy, daddy", she said with a big yawn.

Smiling down at his daughter, JC walked over to her and picked her up. "You want to go to your room or do you want to sleep in daddy's bed?"

Yawning as she laid her head on his shoulder, Hailey mumbled, "My bed."

Chuckling softly, JC nodded his head. "Ok, let's get you settled for a nap."

Walking up the stairs to Hailey's room, JC went through his mental list of things he had to do before he could truly relax. Reaching Hailey's room, JC helped her get into bed for a nap. "Do you want a song or do you just want me to hold you?"

A soft mumble came from his daughter's lips. "Song."

Sitting next to her bed, JC cleared his throat then began to hum. Slowly he began to sing. "I will be the last to let you down. All your fears and doubts are hovering above you like a cloud. And the water’s rising. Now I can’t breathe. Nothing’s how it’s supposed to be. How did you do this to me? Locked inside your heart shaped box".

Smiling at how she curled up to his side, JC quietly crept away to make a few phone calls.

Making his way downstairs, JC heard knocking on his front door. "Who, could that be?", he thought to himself.

As he stood in front of the door, JC could hear a feminine voice talking loudly. He opened the door to find a brunette woman talking on her cell phone.

"Finally, I thought I was going to have to call the coast guard." She walked past him. "No, Jeff. Not you." She nodded to the person on the other end of the line. "Look, I am not doing that interview. I just can't stand the way he looks at me. Listen, I have to go. Josh is here." She quickly hung up. Smiling at JC, she walked up to him. "Good day, mate. How was the flight?" She stretched to her tip toes to kiss his cheek.

Sighing, JC shook his head. "It was ok. Hailey could not wait to get back home to see you. I think it was because someone promised her a trip to Disney?" He raised an eyebrow at her.

Staring at him in shock, Amelia looked at her friend's face. "I told her that in strict confidence."

Chuckling at her antics, JC shook his head. "It's ok. You happen to be my favorite devil from down under, so I'll let this one slide." He grinned as he headed for the kitchen.

Glaring at his retreating form, Amelia tossed her purse over the couch and followed him. "JC, I know that look. You are going to feed me to the sharks aren't you?"

When they reached the kitchen, JC went to the fridge pulled out a soda and tossed it in her direction. "No, Amelia. I am not that cruel. Although, if you lose my daughter, I will be cruel."

Giggling at his playfulness, Amelia smiled. "Can we go today?"

Chuckling at her excitement, JC nodded his head. "Yeah. She needs a girl's day. I'm sure she's bored of being with her old man twenty four seven."

She smiled at his love for that little girl. "So, can I go get her?"

"She just went down for a nap. How about we have breakfast?"

Looking up from her texting, Amelia nodded. "Yeah sure. Sounds terrific."


- An Hour Later -

Getting Hailey ready for her day with Amelia, JC kept trying to remember a time when he and his daughter were separated for longer than five hours. He could not think of one.

"Is something bothering you?", Amelia questioned as she zipped up Hailey's day bag. She sat back to look at JC.

"Huh, what?"

Shaking her head at his confusion, Amelia stood and held out her hand to help JC stand also. "Josh, I know that you are freaking out right now, but don't worry. She's in good hands with me and Aaron."

Cracking a smile, JC nodded his head. "Yeah thanks. Call me if there is a problem."

Hailey smiled up at the two adults. "Ami, come on." She started to tug at Amelia's hand.

"Hey, aren't you forgetting something?" JC asked.

Letting out a groan, Hailey glared at her father. "Daddy!"

Raising a brow, JC crossed his arms over his chest. "Do you want to go?"

With dark curls bouncing, Hailey nodded as she moved toward him to kiss him. "We go now?" She looked up at Amelia with curious blue eyes.

JC and Amelia laughed at the little girl. Amelia kneeled down in front of her. "Ok, you ready?"

Nodding her head, Hailey smiled as she again tugged on Amelia's hand. "Bye bye, daddy."

Giggling, Amelia waved to JC as she and Hailey headed out the door toward her car. "I'll call at lunch."

Nodding his head, JC waved back and stood in the doorway until Amelia's car was out of sight.

Looking up to the sky, he whispered, "Keep her safe. Better yet, keep them both safe. They mean too much to me."

Driving away from the home, Aaron looked to his right to see Amelia lost in her own thoughts. "Care to share what is on your mind?"

Shocked at hearing another voice, Amelia swiftly turned her head toward him. "Just remembering when I first met Josh. I was only a teenaged girl with big dreams."

Sighing, Amelia shifted so she was somewhat facing Aaron. "I remember when Melissa told me that her husband was trying to make a career for himself after Nsync. She was so proud of him. I remember my first interview with him. I was only 16, and for some reason the network wanted a young hip kid, like myself, to host. So, there I was a new host interviewing one of the hottest bands at the time. I remember the look in his eyes when Melissa died." She turned to look out the window. "I hated seeing him so broken."

Sighing, she looked back at Hailey. "They didn't deserve that." She laid her head back on the head rest as the car continued to travel toward Disneyland.

-At Disneyland-
Sitting amongst families with small children on vacation, teenagers trying to be cool, couples celebrating their unions, and college students reliving their lost childhood, Aaron, Amelia, and Hailey talked as they ate lunch.

Taking another bite of her sandwich, Amelia remembered something. Putting her sandwich down, she turned to Aaron. "Aaron, do you remember what I was supposed to..."

Before she could get out what she was going to say, her cell phone rang. Realization kicked in as she scrambled to find her phone amongst her belongings in her purse.

"I knew there was something I was going to do. This is probably Josh wondering if he needs to send the attack dogs to protect his baby."

She smiled as she found the object she was looking for. "Aha, you little devil." she scolded. " 'ello? Josh, I was going to call, but my brain completely forgot."

Looking at Aaron, Amelia rolled her eyes as she heard JC chuckle at her absentmindedness.

"Ok, do you want to talk to Hailey?" She looked over to where Hailey had been sitting to find that the little girl was no longer sitting there. Panic set in her as her eyes went to Aaron. "Josh, let me call you back. Bye." With that, she hung up the phone.

Aaron looked around him as he quickly stood. "Amelia, calm down sweetheart. We need to think rationally right now." He continued to survey the crowd. "She couldn't have gone too far." He looked under the table they were sitting at. His eyes scanned the area around them. "Ok..." He turned to Amelia. "This is what we are going to do. We are going to split up. I am going to get park security and you just keep looking for her, ok?"

He walked over to her, placing his arms around her petite frame. Aaron squeezed her tight, then let her go. "Ok, you have my number right?"

Nodding, Amelia's body language screamed fear for the little girl.

"Call me in about twenty minutes. She could be scared out of her mind."

Nodding her head, Amelia's eyes darted around them as she began to get even more worried. "How could I lose her like this. Josh will never forgive me." Tears began to form as she and Aaron stood there.

Stepping up to Amelia, Aaron placed his hands on her shoulders "Ok, breathe."

Amelia took in a deep breath.

"Ok, let's split up now." He began to walk away from her. "Call me if you see her. If we don't find her in twenty minutes, let's meet at that restaurant on Main Street."

Watching Aaron walk away to look for Hailey, Amelia's adrenaline kicked in as she began her search.

As time slowly ticked by, Amelia began to fear the worst. She had looked in Tomorrow Land where Hailey was last seen.

She left Tomorrow Land, then proceeded to the Magic Kingdom. She looked at her watch, seeing that it had been twenty-five minutes since she began her search.

She had searched around the shops, knowing how the little girl loved all the toys and pretty dresses.

Sighing with defeat, Amelia brought her cell phone out of her purse and dialed Aaron's number as she began to swiftly walk toward Main Street. She spotted Aaron at a table talking to a park security guard as made her way over to a chair.

Taking a seat in the chair closest to her, Amelia sunk into it as she listened to Aaron talk.

"I think if we get as many badges out there the better. This is not just Joe Schmoe's kid here." With frustration, Aaron sighed.

A short, heavy, older man nodded his head. "I understand sir. We are doing the best we can to find this little girl. The best thing to do is to call her parents. Her mother would be worried sick."

Looking at one another, Aaron and Amelia shook their heads.

Amelia shook her head. "Her mother isn't alive. It's just her father - who will kill us, mainly me if he finds out that we lost his daughter." She began to cry. "I promised him we would keep her safe."

Kneeling down next to Amelia, Aaron put his arms around her. "Don't worry, Ami, we will find her." Looking back at the older gentleman, Aaron continued to comfort Amelia.

The older man nodded his head as he brought his two-way radio up to talk into it. "I need extra badges in Tomorrow Land and the main plaza."

Aaron squeezed Amelia's hand as he stood. "Do we need to call her father?"

Amelia's head shot up to look at Aaron. "Aaron, he will kill me." She bit her bottom lip, then shook her head. "Ok, I will make the call." Taking her cell phone out of her purse, Amelia's hands shook with nervousness as she dialed JC's number.

-At JC's Home-

Bobbing his head to the music as he played the music he had been working on, JC smiled thinking of how much he loved this job.

*ring ring*

Looking around to see if he could find his phone, JC got out of his chair. "Don't hang up" He turned to leave the room when he spotted it under his folder of music. "Aha. Hello?" He grinned.

Amelia sighed. "Josh?" She sniffed back a cry.

Sensing something was wrong, JC's smile turned to a deep frown "Ami? What's wrong? Are you ok?"

Shaking her head even though she knew JC could not see her, she let out a cry. "She's missing Josh. We were eating, you called, I... she's gone."

As he made his way down the stairs, he stopped dead in his tracks. JC shook his head. "What? Who's..." The realization that his daughter was not with Amelia frightened him. "Ami, where is she?"

"I don't know. She was there when we sat down, but when you called she was gone. Josh, I didn't mean to lose her. I'm sorry."

Letting his fear get the best of him, JC shook his head as he frantically ran to the kitchen to grab his keys. "I'm on my way." With that, he hung up his phone.

After an hour of weaving through traffic and nearly missing the exit to get to Disneyland. The minute he parked his car, JC quickly unbuckled his seat belt to exit the car as he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket. Slamming the door shut and locking the car, he looked both ways then practically ran down the escalators to the tram. He began to frantically speak with Amelia.

"How could you lose her?" he bellowed.

The only sound he heard was that of Amelia's soft cries. Running his hand over his face, JC sighed and shook his head to calm his nerves.

"Ami, please don't cry. Look, I'm just scared that my baby girl could be hurt or worse." With that, he heard a strained sob come from the other end of the line.

"I am almost to the check in, so tell me where you guys are. Or do I have to just tell them who I am and why I am here?" Listening intently, JC nodded his head. "Ok, I'll see you when i get there and we can talk, ok?" Hearing Amelia's response, JC nodded his head again and sighed. "I know, we'll talk when I get there. I love you." With that, he hung up the phone.

Not realizing or even caring that he said those intimate words, JC willed the tram to move faster. Once the train stopped at Downtown Disney, JC jumped from the vehicle and then sprinted his way over to a large canopy where security checks were being done. Cutting past a line of patrons who were there for the thrill of lost childhood wonder, JC tried to get the attention of the guard closest to him.

A young college aged man turned to see the frantic look on JC's face. "Can I help you, sir?"

Nodding his head viggorously, JC pointed behind the guard. "My name is JC Chasez and my daughter was reported missing in that park. My girlfriend is in there waiting for me."

Turning to an older gentleman, the guard relayed the information. "Sir, this man here says he's the father of that missing girl."

The older guard eyed JC then reached for his radio "Main, this is Gate 3. Do you read?"

After a second of scratchiness, a voice came over the line. "3, this is Main. What's the situation?"

Looking at JC, the older man nodded his head. "I have a JC Chasez here. He says his daughter is missing here at the park."

A moment later the voice came back over the line "Bring him to Section 5."

Nodding his head, the older man smiled and waved his hand for JC to follow. "Come on son. I am to take you to Main Street."

Rushing to follow the man, JC practically tackled the younger security guard. "Thank you so much. You have no idea how scared I am right now." JC's voice was shaky as a wave of emotion washed over him. "I can't lose her."

Noticing the father's frazzled state, the older man nodded his head. "I understand. My daughter took off once when she was five." Chuckling, the man walked over to a golf cart and sat down behind the wheel and motioned for JC to do the same. "It is good that your daughter has parents like your wife and you." They set off to find Amelia and Aaron.

They reached Aaron, Amelia, and a Disney security guard. JC could see the tears in Amelia's eyes as she made her way into his open arms.

"Josh, I am so sorry." She cried into JC's neck.

Rubbing her back soothingly, JC held her close. "Oh baby, I know." He gently pulled away to look Amelia in the eyes. "As long as she comes back to us, it's ok." He pulled her back into his arms to kiss her forehead.

Lifting her head to look into JC's eyes, Amelia let him wipe the tears from her cheeks. "Josh, did you mean what you said on the phone?"

Sifting through his thoughts, JC chuckled amidst the emotions surrounding everyone around them. Pulling her close, he whispered, "Yes, I meant every word." Giving a weak smile, JC genrly kissed her lips. "I love you."

Holding each other close, JC and Ami didn't notice Aaron approaching them.

"Boss? I hate to break up this love fest you two have going on, but we got word that security may have found Hailey."

JC's head snapped up from Amelia's shoulder. "What?" Tears glistening in his eyes as he squeezed Amelia's hand. "Aaron, if this is a joke I swear I am going to kick your butt." Letting out a nervous laugh, JC sighed. "I hope it's her."

Aaron nodded his head. "Me too."

The three of them walked back over to where the park security was talking with people over their radios. Once the trio reached them, the head guard turned to the newcomers

"Mr. Chasez, could you get on this radio to verify if the girl they have is your daughter?"

Slowly reaching his hand out for the radio, JC swallowed the fear that had enveloped his entire being. Looking over to the older man, JC raised the radio and pressed the talk button. "Hello?"

Through the scratchy sounds coming from the speaker, a tearful voice answered. "Daddy?"

Not able to control his emotions, JC began to cry. "Honey it's ok. Daddy is going to get you, ok?" Feeling a hand slip into his own shaky one, JC looked over to see Amelia's smiling face. "Sweetheart, I will be there I promise." With that he handed the radio back to the security guard.

JC wrapped his arms around Amelia and whispered. "Thank you for being here." He then kissed her cheek.

JC felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to see who it was. A man about his grandfather's age stood tall and smiled as he said, "Sir, we will bring her here so that there is no confusion. If you would like, we can go into the office which is over there." JC followed the man's finger, which pointed to short alley which held the infirmary.

Nodding his head, JC wiped a tear from his cheek. "Yeah, that sounds good to me." Taking Amelia's hand in his own, JC followed the man to where they would be reunited with his little girl.

They reached the infirmary and quickly entered a room where a cot like bed and a couple of chairs sat holding no people. The sound of a small child's pitiful cries of pain, most likely from an injury, could be heard. JC's eyes darted from Amelia's eyes to the door which led to the hallway. Amelia's small hand squeezed his.

"Josh, it's ok. Just relax sweetheart."

Amelia let go of his hand and began to massage his neck. "She is going to be fine, Love."

Nodding his head, JC rested his body in the closest seat to him. "I was terrified when you called me, Ami. I was sick, I felt like my world was crumbling all around me, it's like...." JC shook his head as a slight giggle brought the matter to a lighter mood. "I almost died." He let out a full laugh at the irony. "I shouldn't be a song writer. Life seems to imitate art too much." Sighing, JC rubbed his face.

At that moment, the door slowly swung open to reveal a man holding a happy, curly headed, brunette little girl. The girl looked straight at JC and wiggled her way out of the man's grip. "Daddy!"

JC knelt in front of his chair with his arms wide open to envelope her in a tight hug. He began to cry, harder than he had since her mother had died. "Honey, don't ever scare daddy like that again, you understand?", he said through tear filled eyes.

Nodding her head, Hailey looked over to the woman kneeling right next to her father, who wore the same expression as her father had. With a big smile, Hailey broke free from her father's arms and catapulted herself to Amelia. "Ami, don't cwy."

Amelia smiled "Oh Love, I'm not sad, I'm happy you are alright."

Watching his daughter snuggle closer to Amelia, JC decided right then and there that he would try to move on with his life and ask Amelia out on a date. He stood up and cleared his throat to ask her, but she started talking before he could say anything.

"Why don't we go back to the house and watch movies so you, daddy and I can talk, ok?"

The little girl nodded her head and took the woman's hand. "Let's go." As she walked closer to her father, she grabbed his hand with her free hand.

Both adults laughed at her antics, but JC soon stopped his laughter and picked the girl up. " I think we should have dinner then go to bed when we get home."

With a pout, the little girl nodded her head then laid her head on his shoulder. "I wove you, daddy."

With a kiss, JC smiled. "I love you too sweetheart."

Walking side by side out of the park, JC and Amelia stayed quiet as Hailey began to drift off to sleep in her father's arms. Aaron lead the two to a tram.

JC yawned as they stood waiting for a train to approach. Amelia smiled and leaned against his side as she rubbed Hailey's back.

"you are good to her, and she adores you, you know that?"

Looking at Amelia with understanding JC shifted Hailey on his shoulder so that he could wrap Amelia in his free arm. "I kind of have to be good to her, she is my daughter, I owe her mom that much."

Nodding her head, Amelia smiled "JC you don't owe her anything, Mel would have wanted you to take care of your daughter because you loved her not because she was something to be responsible for. look I don't know the first thing about being a mum, but I do know that you love this little girl with all your heart. It's not your fault she wandered off, It was mine." before she could continue, Aaron called for the two to follow him onto the tram.

Once the three were on the tram JC sat Hailey on his lap with her head leaning against his shoulders as her legs hung off his knees. Amelia laughed a little at the sight. JC looked down at his daughter then back to Amelia.

"what? do I have two different shoes on or something?" JC smiled as he heard her laughter intesify. 'I love it when she laughs' he thought to himself.

Trying to force herself on not laughing, Amelia covered her face as her body shook with laughter. The tram made its way to the parking structure where JC had parked his car.

JC shook his head "I have no clue what you find so funny, but it's good to see you laugh." he smiled.

Nodding her head, Amelia watched as the tram came to a stop.

Once they reached JC's home, Aaron pulled JC aside. Nodding his head towards Amelia, Aaron smiled.

"So, you going to talk to her?"

A slight smile appeared on the younger man's face as he nodded "yeah."

Patting JC's shoulder, Aaron started towards his car "ok, don't mess this up or im going to call that mama of yours."

Shaking his head as he laughed, JC shoved Aaron away "I won't don't worry, and besides if you called my mom, you would be searching for a new job my friend.'' with that Aaron left the property.

JC turned to look at Amelia who was carrying Hailey into the house. Smiling at how she was so comfortable around Hailey, JC followed her into the house. Once they were in the house Amelia nodded her head towards the stairs, silently telling JC she was going to put Hailey to bed. JC sat heavily onto the couch and waited for Amelia to come back from putting his daughter to bed.

Once Amelia reached the living room, she saw JC sitting with his head against the back of the couch. Shaking her head Amelia smiled at the site before her as she made her way over to him "She's asleep."

Turning his head to face Amelia, JC smiled "thanks, I would have probably cried and she would be telling me to leave." He laughed at the thought.

Sitting next to JC, Amelia laid her head against his shoulder. "She's a good girl, she's safe here with us."

"Us? Wow never thought I'd hear you say that."

Amelia sat up with a teasing expression. "Are you saying I wouldn't have, wait what are we?"

Confusion filled JC's face like a wildfire to a field. "I thought we could be boyfriend and girlfriend, unless you want to just stay friends. I'm still getting used to the idea of dating."

Nodding her head Amelia smiled as she snuggled close to JC. "Ok, sounds good to me. Although I have one condition."

Looking down at Amelia's sweet smile, JC nodded his head "ok, what is it?"

Amelia sucked in a breath "If we ever get to a point where we get married, can you sell this house? I love it and I know you and Melissa have many memories here, but I think it would be nice to be away from LA."

Puffing out his chest as he pondered the request, JC smiled "You want to marry me?"

A big grin spread across her face as Amelia nodded "Yes, just not right away though."

Laughter poured from his chest as JC shook his head "I don't get you sometimes, but that's what I love about you. I'll think about it."

"Ok." Amelia smiled.

The couple talked until the early hours of the morning. At seven in the morning, Hailey came downstairs after finding that her father was not in his room, to find him and Amelia asleep on the couch cuddled together. Giggling at the site Hailey pulled a blanket off of the other couch and placed it on top of the two adults.
Chapter End Notes:
hope you guys enjoy

Completed
musiccrazedjazzy is the author of 11 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story