"Do you think they'll come?" My best friend Celeste asked.

I shrugged. "I threw this party together in four hours, how would any of them even know about it? They're probanly enjoying their time together and celebrating, my party is probably the last thing on anyone's mind."

"You could've just said no," she joked. "And besides, the turnout as of now, is well over 50 people. Pretty decent for a last minute party.

"Well, my family does love a good party," I nodded.

"And free food," she laughed.

I ignored her and went on refilling the punch bowl. Even at age 34, Celeste still got a kick out mercilessly teasing me. I handed the punch bowl to my younger cousin and quickly sent him back outside.

"I feel like you don't want them to come, Zee," she stated.

"What gives you that impression?" I asked.

"You haven't spoken to Justin and JC in....eleven years?" she answered.

Yep. Always the straightforward and painfully blunt Celeste reminding you of the days you ran away from problems and had your share of fuck-ups, at any possible point and time. Why did I even bother coming inside to help her when I could be outside dancing and burying the thought of not speaking to my those two in so long?

"Thanks for reminding me," I said monotonously. "You're right, but it doesn't mean I don't want them to come."

"Don't you ever wonder why JC never bothered to try to get in touch with you? I mean, it was easy to do so," she said.

She keeps stabbing me with the knife, doesn't she?

"I assumed it was him respecting that we needed time apart from each other," I calmly replied.

"Time, okay sure, but eleven years? If he was trying to respect your decision, then he must have missed the hell out of you. And what about Justin? It was easy for him to get in touch with you, too."

I shrugged off her words. I didn't want to think about this. It took so much time trying to move on from it. I didn't need the emotions and stress being in that "place" again. I know that Celeste wasn't trying to make me upset on purpose, she was only trying to see if I felt anything. And I'm sure it's because I never did speak to her about what I was going through at the time. It was something I kept solely for Zahra. Only me, myself, and I knew about those nights I sat on the floor of my bedroom, motionless, for hours on end, thinking of how to fix things.

"Zee, what if they come?" The concern in her voice was sincere.

"Then I guess I can't hide anymore, can I?"

Sure, I told Joey about my party, but they wouldn't come. Chris and Lance? Definitely. Justin? He's probably still mad at me for disappearing on him and he'd only come to chew me out. JC? I don't know about JC. I hurt him that night I told him we should stop seeing each other. I hurt him even more by leaving without saying goodbye, and never looking back.

"You know I'll tell Joe the party is cancelled if you want. I love the guys, but I don't like the idea of everyone being uncomfortable around each other. Not after everything we've all been through," she said.

"They're not here, so we don't have to worry about that."

I blatantly lied out loud. I knew that in no time, Joey would peep his head into my kitchen. I felt it. At this point in my life, I knew these guys too well to be wrong about gut instincts. Either he'd pop in, or I'd go outside and he'd be standing there talking to my mom.

Celeste and I continued putting together small sandwiches for the hungry kiddies outside. Turns out this was more of a party for all my friends and family since we barely get to see each other much anymore. Later on, however, when the children under age 17 went home, that's when the adult party would begin. Ha, those were the worst for me as a kid, but as I got older I understood why they wanted me to go h...

"Boo!!"

I heard Celeste's excited scream and she hopped from her seat. I, however, didn't even turn around. I already knew who it was. See? Aren't I awesome? I wish I was this good growing up, could have been saved from many embarrassing moments. Still, I went and hugged Joey tightly. No matter how nauseous I suddenly felt, I was excited to see him. But I was incredibly nauseous.

"Joey are you here alone?" Celeste asked, not wasting any time.

She could have at least waited for me to go to my room, run away to Cancun, SOMETHING. Yet, I was practically frozen waiting for his answer. Right, so again, I'm a liar. Truthfully I only wanted to see Joe, Chris, and Lance. I was too afraid of seeing Justin and JC. I felt worried they would be so upset with me, I'd get ignored. Please say you came alone, Joey. Please. Please.

"Unfortunately, I am," he looked at me apologetically.

I let go a sigh of relief masked as disappointment. "Oh, oh shoot. This sucks so bad. But it's okay, really."

"We should get back to the party. We've gotta let your mom know Joey's here," Celeste said, happily pulling me by the arm.

I was practically jumping for joy on the inside as we walked out of the kitchen. To get to my backyard, we had to go through the dining room, and out the sliding door. I was almost out of the door, when I saw something out of the corner of my eye I was POSITIVE did not belong in my living room. I snatched my arm away from Celeste and turned back around.

"AAAAAHHHH!!" Celeste screamed behind me, and ran to who had me crazy glued to the wood floor.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story