It had been nearing two months since JC and I were supposed to hang out. I was absolutely serious about taking it slow between us, and doing things the right way. Instead of hurriedly meeting up, we spoke to eah other on the phone or we sent text messages. The entire experience of being introduced to each other again was similar to how JC explained doing the NSYNC choreography again after so long. You do make some mistakes here and there, but after a few times, muscle memory kicks in. He was exactly correct. There were some things I had forgotten about JC, sometimes I didn't know what to say or how to say anything. But, after we got used to talking to each other again, it was as if we never spent those years apart. We spoke easily again, but it still felt as if each of us were keeping something from one another. Hmm.

I couldn't waste time thinking too much about it. Tonight I was going on a date.

"What am I gonna wear?" I cried, lying face down in front of my closet.

"I still can't fathom you guys actually doing this," Celeste lamented. "Wear something easy to take off, J and I already predicted how this date is gonna end."

I gasped out loud, lifting my head off the carpet. "I take offense to that. STILL, thanks. JC and I aren't like that with one another anymore. We're not having sex."

"Yeah, that's what your mouth is saying now, but your body won't be saying that later on," she laughed. I got off the floor and threw a pillow at her before opening my closet.

"We spent almost two months just getting to know each other again. I don't want to ruin it by moving too fast," I said.

"Zahra, take what I say with love and understanding." She was about to rip right into me. "If this was some guy you had never met, I would agree that you should move slow. But this is the guy you've been in love with since you were a kid. The guy you're STILL in love with, even though you don't want to admit it. How could you move too fast?"

"I did it the first time...," I said.

"When you were younger and immature, and unsure of what you wanted. You're not that person anymore. And I know you're not," she assured.

"So, what, have sex with him?" I asked.

"I didn't say that. I'm saying let what happens, happen naturally," she replied. "Stop trying to be in control of everything, including how you really feel."

I took her words into deep consideration as the time passed.

Soon, I was waiting for JC to arrive at my house. I don't think we've ever really been on a date with each other before. And that saddened me more than I thought it would. What if he decided to not show up? I know it's not in JC's fashion to do that, but people do change. It could happen.

I stood up to go look in the mirror one more time to be sure I was satisfied. I decided on a nude and black cocktail dress that had been sitting in my closet for the longest. It came a few inches above the knee, but flowed out. I still hated to wear heels and carry accessories, but I donned my nude pumps and black clutch along with my outfit. I kept my hair out instead of tying it away, since the volume worked in my favor. I was about to put on lipstick when the doorbell rang. Ah, don't need it.

I went to open the door and there stood JC. He smiled at me, taking a look at me before stepping forward to kiss me on the cheek.

"Hey, how are you? You look beautiful, mama."

I gushed. Ick, I can't believe I still reacted that way when he called me mama. I took a moment to inspect JC and he wasn't as hit or miss like he was back when fashion was a lot more relaxed. He had on a deep purple dress shirt rolled up to the elbows, a black satin vest, black pants, and boots. Everything was fitted and looked great against his, still completely svelte, figure.

"Thank you. You look handsome," I said. "Come on, let's go."

And with that, we were off to I don't know where. Wait, I don't know where he's taking me. Luckily, judging by his outfit, I didn't over nor underdress. JC was simple, so I expected to go somewhere completely straightforward; you know Italian, Thai, etc. But as we pulled up into the lot of this place, I drew a blank. I could always count on him to take me somewhere I had never been before.

The tables were candlelit, so there was a bit of darkness inside the entire room. The entire atmosphere was quiet, despite everyone chattering amongst themselves. On the stage, there was a good sized stage, a live band had been playing gentle music. The ballroom floor, wooden and sparkled to perfection, was open with a few couples dancing. The restaurant was the most romantic setting one could ever find, and here I was with the man who found it.

"This place is drop dead stunning," I gaped as we sat down.

"I had to find somewhere able to match you," he smirked.

"Still a cornball with those lines, I see," I smiled.

He chuckled. "Thank you for allowing me to take you out."

"You're welcome. I know I made you wait, but I've really been anticipating this. I'm happy you still wanted to," I said.

"I think after years of knowing each other, this is our first date. In our 30's and having first dates, that's....that might be sad," he smiled.

"Not really, it just means we don't have to hide anymore. We're doing this the way it should be done. We can enjoy tonight freely, and I know we will."

--------------
The date went off amazingly. It was better than I though it would be because I didn't know what to expect. We ate, we talked, we danced, it was perfect. It became even more perfect, as something romantic happened. The live band began to play Richard Marx' Right Here Waiting. If it had just been that, it would have been okay. But JC sang softly to me. I hadn't heard him sing in so long, I felt many things at once. I don't know if he knew, since my face was against his shoulder the entire time, but I cried. His voice could still break me into millions of pieces. I was feeling the words he was singing and I knew he could, too.

"Looks like our first date went off well. Did you have fun?"

JC and I were face to face, standing in front of my door.

"Yes, I did. I had a great time, thank you so much. Next time it'll be my treat," I said.

"Say what? You're gonna wine and dine me? I have to go get a new outfit and my hair done, girl," he teased.

I chuckled softly, biting my lip. I gazed into his eyes. They were still breathtakingly beautiful to the point where my knees were weak. I could get lost in them until the end of time. He shyly looked away, and it was as if how I was feeling at the moment was written all over my face for him to see. I didn't want to throw myself out there, but I also didn't want to feel like I couldn't be honest and open.

"I...I'm still in love with you...," I said, barely above a whisper. "I love you."

I could see the air leave JC's lungs, his world had been rocked by my words. He didn't say anything, and I was sure he had nothing to say. He stepped in closer to me, looking down at me. His fingers underneath my chin felt warm, and it got warmer as my eyes were lifted to meet his. I was raw and free from everything that would be holding me back. I gently put my hands on face and initiated our first kiss. It was like being reborn, the freshness, the vivacity, it was overwhelming and passionate. His arms hugged tightly around my body, digging more into the kiss. And when we pulled apart, his nose just danced against mine.

"I guess this is when I say goodnight," he spoke gently.

"You can...but I'd rather you say good morning."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story