Epilogue – You're My Safest Place to Hide


A year later


“Where is he?” JC said, checking his watch. “He's like, ten minutes late.”

“Same old JC,” Lance said with a smile. “These things never start on time, C. Chill.”

“Dude won't even be on time for his own funeral,” JC mumbled, shaking his head and walking away to pace.

Lance just chuckled and patted JC on the back as he walked away. Back in the day, he would have been stressing himself out right along with JC, and he had briefly – but he had become far more relaxed. Ten minutes was nothing compared to everything he had gone through the past few years. He could have thought of ten different disasters that could make this day far worse – if Chris being ten minutes late was the worst thing that happened today, they would be okay.

As they were all enjoying a silent moment they all heard footsteps on the floor coming towards them and just as they turned, hoping it was finally Chris, Liam came running around the corner full-speed.

“Daddy!”

He ran between the group, quickly attaching himself to Lance's leg. As Lance picked him up, they heard the click of high heels coming around the corner. Addy appeared just as JC was about to turn the corner, and they ran into each other. JC nearly lost his balance since he wasn't expecting her, and she reached out to grab him.

“JC! I'm so sorry,” she said. “He shot off and I took off after him but these weapons of mass destruction slow me down. Have I mentioned that I hate high heels?”

“Once or twice,” Justin said.

“Guys, I have bad news,” she said, ignoring Justin, while JC continued to recover. “The ring bearer is losing his nerve. Looks like the one trait he didn't inherit from his father was the entertainment trait.”

They all looked at Liam, snuggled into Lance's chest tightly.

“No,” he said forcefully, and threw the tiny pillow in his hand down to the ground.

“I think that's the kind of temper tantrum that Justin threw once or twice before shows, right guys?” Joey said.

As Lance and JC laughed along with Joey, Justin narrowed his eyes at them.

“Oh ha ha, very funny,” he said. He removed his hands from his pockets and walked over to Lance, reaching out and grabbing Liam from him. “Come on, little dude, let's go have a pep talk. I'll have you ready for this in no time.”

“Do not give him candy,” Addy said, using a finger to point at Justin in warning.

Justin only smiled as he started walking away with the toddler in his arms.

“Justin...Justin!” Addy yelled, starting to follow him, slowed down by her heels. “I mean it! Do not give him candy!”


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Breathe in, breathe out...

Melissa repeated the mantra in her head while enacting it physically as she sat in front of the mirror. Her bare shoulders lifted and lowered as she breathed, the skirt of the white dress falling around her in a puddle, covering her and the footstool she sat on. She smoothed it out in front of her, her fingers running over the few diamonds sewn in, scattered across the green gradient in the bottom of the skirt. It was unique to her, not overly done, but just enough to make her feel like a woman should on her wedding day.

It had been a year. Bruises had faded, cuts healed, and her faith in love restored.

A knock came to the door and Melissa turned around, assuming it was Addy coming in to fuss over her and make sure she was ready to start.

“Come in,” she yelled softly.

“Can't,” a familiar voice said from the other side. “It's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding, remember?”

“Chris! What are you doing?” Melissa asked. “You should be ready by now!”

“I am,” he said, speaking through the door. “I just...I needed to talk to you.”

She stood up and held her train up out of her way as she walked to the door.

“About what?” she asked, leaning against the door.

“I just...wanted to say hi, I guess.”

She smirked. “Hi...I guess,” she said with a small chuckle.

“I also wanted to ask...are you sure you want to marry me?”

Her smile fell. “Are you having second thoughts?”

“No,” he said, which was a small relief to her. “I just want to make sure you're not having second thoughts.”

“Why would I have second thoughts?” she asked.

“Open the door,” he said. “Just a crack.”

She turned the door knob slowly, not allowing him to see her, but just enough for him to slip his hand in and take hers, weaving their fingers together.

“I want to marry you,” he said, squeezing her hand. “Believe that with all your heart and soul. I just...I'm scared. I want it to be right.”

“It is right,” she said, squeezing his hand back. “It couldn't be more right, Chris.”

She felt him run his fingers down the palm of her hand reassuringly.

“How about I be the last voice you hear tonight?” she whispered.

“And every other night for the rest of the nights that there are,” he responded.

“That's a good place to start,” she said with a smile.

“How about we go get married, Mel?” he asked.

“I think that's a good idea,” she said. “I love you, Chris.”

“I love you too, Mel.”

 

THE END 


Completed
creativechaos is the author of 13 other stories.
DiamondDoss is the author of 17 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked The Safest Place also liked 44 other stories.
This story is part of the series, From The Wreckage. The previous story in the series is The Man Between Us.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris lance