Author's Chapter Notes:

 

“He’s psychotic, obsessive, and frankly really disturbing,” Lance said into his cell phone. “But I still love him.”

“Are you drunk?” he heard Joey’s voice reply. “What are you drinking? Whatever it is, stop it right now.”

“I’m drinking coffee, Joe.” Lance rolled his eyes, bringing the mug back up to his lips. He had walked into this café earlier and grabbed some isolated spot in the back. This was one of the times he thanked the fact that he wasn’t a celebrity in his prime; it wasn’t a busy hour, and he could risk going outside without being instantly recognized.

“Well, then there’s something in your coffee. ‘Cause I can’t even start to fathom why you would say you love that douchebag.”

“That was a good word for you, Joey. ‘Fathom’.”

Joey chuckled slightly. “Yeah, I’ve been studying up on vocabulary words. Thanks for noticing. Anyways, that’s beside the point. When even Justin, Mr. Hotshot, finds the time to call you and tell you to get away from this guy, you know you’re doing something seriously wrong.”

Lance sighed. “He’s just…rough sometimes. And he gets mad easily. I’m not gonna leave him for a few bad qualities.”

Now, the surprise in Joey’s voice was clearly evident. “A few bad qualities? This guy is a jackass. You said you were going to end it just last week. I have no clue why you changed your mind so suddenly.”

“Okay, yes, I admit he’s a pretty lousy excuse for a boyfriend. This whole thing is just complicated for me, okay? Can we just leave it at that?”

“Suit yourself. But you know you can’t keep running away from this, right?”

Lance nodded, ignoring the fact that Joey couldn’t see him.

“By the way, the rag magazines are running stories about you,” Joey added.

Lance groaned. “You have got to be kidding me. I haven’t told anyone.”

“I don’t know what to tell you, man. It’s all pretty much out there.”

Lance quickly swallowed the rest of his coffee and stood up, pulling a magazine off a wooden rack by the wall. Sure enough, a picture of him and his boyfriend at some event was plastered on the side of the cover. “Joey, I’ll call you back later.”

Grabbing the repulsive magazine, he exited the café through the back and found his car, locking the doors and resting his head on the steering wheel. Sprawled out underneath the picture was the title “Lance Bass and Boy Toy on the Rocks?” He almost laughed out loud at that. Boy toy? If anyone was being played with in this relationship, it was Lance. It was pretty ironic that his boyfriend was the one being called a toy. Not only was he rude and insensitive, but he was almost certain there was cheating involved.

Lance flipped through the magazine, glazing over articles about Britney’s latest endeavors and some nonsense about a girl who claimed to have been helped by ghosts. Hell, if ghosts were helping people, he needed one. He turned a few more pages until he came across the article about himself. There was a picture of him and his boyfriend from about a year and a half ago, when times were much happier.

 

            There is supposedly trouble in paradise for Lance Bass and his boyfriend, Tyler Venderson. The two have been dating for two years, but appeared to be detached at a recent event in West Hollywood. According to sources close to the couple, the relationship has been on the rocks for around a year. Venderson, 38, is reportedly “very insulting” towards Bass, 35, in public.

            “When you see the two together, there is nothing loving or passionate between them,” an unnamed source told us. “Tyler is very aggressive and occasionally verbally abusive. Lance doesn’t really say anything in response. They’re not the blissful couple they were made out to be when they first started dating.”

             Sources have also said that the former *NSYNC singer is becoming extremely frustrated with Venderson, and is considering ending things. However, Venderson, who is struggling career wise, has supposedly told Bass that he promises to be faithful despite rumors of infidelity. We were unable to reach Bass’s representatives for comment.

 

That was it. The extent of his failing relationship could apparently be summed up in three short paragraphs. Sighing, he threw the magazine onto the passenger seat and pressed his forehead against the steering wheel again. Whoever the “unnamed source” was, he or she was correct. More than likely, it was someone who he had briefly met at an event, but it didn’t matter. The information that he been trying to keep a secret was now out. All things considered, the story itself wouldn’t be too hard to deny, but it was emotionally difficult to try to contradict something that was blatantly true. Anyone who had seen him with Tyler recently would know that they weren’t exactly getting along.

When they had first started dating two years ago, they truly were a model couple. They rarely fought, and when they did, it was nothing serious. Lance had never felt happier than he did during that initial year with Tyler, and he had expected that to continue. However, about a year later, things turned ugly. It started out as just unnecessary, snide comments here and there; remarks about Lance’s days with the band, his subconscious habits, his appearance, and the like. It rapidly worsened, and he was able to count on one hand the number of days per month that Tyler didn’t insult him. He would tell Lance on a nearly daily basis that he didn’t deserve to live, or that he was useless and pathetic. He received constant reminders that no one would love him if it weren’t for Tyler. It surprised him that his boyfriend even had the gall to say he loved him anymore.

Six months ago, Tyler started staying out later than usual, often coming home at two or three in the morning. Whenever Lance asked, it was always a “friend” that insisted on one more drink. There was definitely more to the story, but Lance never pressed it. The one time he tried to get further information had been the first time Tyler had slapped him. He now just assumed Tyler was cheating, most likely with a different guy each time. After that encounter, everything had gotten more physical, but not in a good way. Tyler had serious issues controlling his anger, and even the slightest thing Lance did would set him off; coming home half an hour later than usual, going out with friends, or being too tired to do anything romantic. While he used to just yell about it, he now resorted to physical abuse.

Based off of experience, Lance could confidently say that Tyler did not believe in making love anymore. While it was great earlier on, it had now turned into meaningless sex. Tyler was the only one who got anything out of it, and Lance always looked for a way out. Tyler would show up at sinful hours in the middle of the night, usually drunk, and expect action. Refusal resulted in fists, so the decision was forced but obvious. Tyler wasn’t smooth about it; he was harsh, rough, and ridiculously domineering. He didn’t think he would ever hear himself say it, but sex was a chore now.

Lance’s head shot up instantly at the thought of late arrivals.

Damn it! he cursed himself. He was supposed to meet Tyler at his apartment an hour ago. They, or more preferably Lance alone, had decided three months ago that living together wasn’t working out. Tyler had called earlier this morning to arrange a time to “patch things up.” He hadn’t bombarded Lance with frustrated texts yet, which meant the anger was probably building up, ready to explode at the slightest provocation. He backed the car out of the parking lot, gripping the steering wheel in a tight hold. 

Don’t think about it, Lance urged himself as he pulled onto the road. It’s not a big deal. People forget. You’re human. He’s human. He’ll understand.

Lance stopped in front of a red light, swearing under his breath. He heard his phone beep, and he looked down to see a text from Tyler.

            Where the hell r u? Apparently all the money u made w/ that boy band wasnt enough for u to afford a goddamn watch.

Lance felt his hands starting to shake. The minute sarcastic comments regarding *NSYNC started, he knew he was in for it. Screw understanding. Life as he knew it was going to end today.

Calm down. You’re driving. he told himself. He knew, however, that there was absolutely no way he was going to listen to his conscious at the moment.

 

Knocking had never felt this stressful in Lance’s entire life. Getting to the door had been nerve-wracking, and waiting for it to open was twice as agonizing. The minute he saw Tyler, however, was probably the single most horrifying moment of his life.

“Do you realize that you’re over an hour late?” Tyler interrogated. “Is it that freaking hard for you to pay attention to the time? Your stupidity is embarrassing at times.”

Despite being only three inches taller, Tyler seemed to tower over Lance. He was muscular, dark-haired, and generally very intimidating. Lance took a deep breath, willing himself not to lose his head over Tyler’s stern tone of voice. His only goal was to get out of this destined-to-be argument unscathed.

“Tyler, I was doing something and I forgot,” Lance responded, locking eyes with his boyfriend for the first time in a while.

“Doing what?” Tyler asked, now looking angry. “You’re always busy, but what the hell does an unemployed ex-boy bander have to do?”

Lance closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Heads were going to roll the next time he heard “unemployed ex-boy bander.”

“You know what? I’m not even going to remind you of the fact that I’m not unemployed. Tell me that the next you bring in a paycheck, or the next time you even start to look for work.”

Tyler scoffed. “Stop trying to turn this onto me! The fact that you were late has absolutely nothing to do with my job!”

Or lack of it. Lance thought. “Why in the world are you making such a big deal out of this?! Wasn’t the plan to try to work things out today? We obviously aren’t doing that.”

“Who were you with?” Tyler interjected.

“What?” Lance asked, thrown off guard slightly.

“I’m not stupid, Lance. Who the hell were you with?” Tyler repeated.

“Tyler, you’re being ridiculous right now. I went out to get coffee. Last I checked, I was allowed to do that alone.” Lance glared at him. “At least I’m not the one that stays out until three in the morning.”

“I’m not cheating on you!” Tyler yelled. “How many goddamn times do I have to explain this-?”

“Don’t even try that with me!” Lance interrupted, his voice rising in volume considerably. “To hell with your excuses! I know you see other people, Tyler. You can insult my education all you want, but I’m smart enough to realize what’s going on!”

Tyler took a step toward him, and Lance instinctively moved away. This meeting was a complete disaster. His boyfriend was being stubborn, unreasonable, and rude, nothing of which was new. He had hoped this time would be different, but he was obviously wrong. As usual, it would probably end with Tyler saying something completely out of line and Lance threatening to leave, but eventually forgiving him.

Tyler threw his hands up. “Okay, okay. There have been a few guys here and there. I’m being honest with you. Isn’t that what you’re constantly complaining about?”

Lance stared at him incredulously. “Complaining? I expect you to tell me what’s going on, and you call that complaining?”

“You’re so difficult! Why the hell do I put up with you?”

Lance clenched his hands into fists, forcing himself not to lash out. “I should be asking you that question. I’m not the one that cheats, I’m not the one that sits around insulting you, and I’m definitely not the one that beats you up!”

Out of nowhere, Tyler grabbed the neck of Lance’s shirt, his eyes flaring. “I do not beat anyone up! Things happen sometimes, okay?!”

Lance felt his heartbeat quicken. “Tyler...”

 

What followed the exchange was unexpected, to say the least. Lance didn’t feel Tyler’s fist collide with his face, but he was now on the floor, a sharp pain taking over. Bringing his hand up, he quickly realized his nose and lips were bleeding, frightening proof that Tyler had hit him.

“Lance, I’m sorry,” he heard Tyler apologize.

Of course you are, Lance thought angrily, covering his mouth and nose with his hands.

“Lance?” Tyler knelt down in front of him, pulling his hands away from his face.

“Don’t touch me,” Lance said, turning away from his boyfriend.

“I’m sorry,” he repeated. “I didn’t mean to do that.”

Lance shook his head. “Leave me alone.”

“How many times do I need to apologize?”

Lance stood slowly, simultaneously wincing against the excruciating pain. “I’m done with your apologies, Tyler. If this were the first time, maybe I would’ve listened, but I can’t anymore.”

Tyler glared at him with an angry, yet confused expression. “You’re breaking up with me.” It was more of a statement than a question, but all doubts seemed cleared regardless.

“I’m useless, right? I’m a stupid, pathetic, unemployed boy bander, right? I think you’re better off without someone like me in your life. Consider it a gift from a has-been teen idol.”

“Lance, please. Don’t be like this. You know I love you. Stop taking things so seriously,” Tyler pleaded.

Lance fought the urge to laugh sarcastically. “Remind me not to take things seriously when my face isn’t bleeding. And don’t even bother telling me you love me. I stopped believing that a long time ago.”

Lance turned toward the door, trying to convince himself to stay composed. This argument wasn’t worth it. This pain wasn’t worth it. This relationship itself wasn’t worth it.

“Can we talk about this?” Tyler asked, his words sounding almost like a plea.

Lance sighed, the blood still dripping. “Talk about what? I don’t need to hear anything right now.”

“Weren’t we trying to make this work? Weren’t we going to do something about this? I plan this whole thing, and now you’re just walking out on me?”

“I can’t do this, Tyler.” He lowered his voice to a whisper. “I can’t take it anymore.”

Tyler took a step toward Lance. “Goddamnit, will you just listen-?”

“Do not get any closer. Don’t touch me, don’t talk to me. This is over, Tyler.”

“Will you just freaking shut up and listen-?!”

“Why the hell don’t you listen for once?! I’m done trying to make this work. I’m done taking this shit from you! You can’t do this,” he gestured toward his face, “and expect me to get over it.”

“You wanna leave?” Tyler asked, his voice practically dripping with sarcasm. “Fine. Good luck finding someone that’s gonna put up with you. Honestly, I did you a goddamn favor by staying with you for this long. No one needs or wants a pathetic has-been.”

You did me a favor?” Lance grabbed a vase sitting on the nearest table and threw it with all the strength he could manage. It narrowly missed Tyler and shattered against the wall behind him.

What am I doing? Lance thought to himself, his mind now frantic. He had never thrown things in an argument, and he usually kept his anger under control. Turning, he rushed out the door and to his car, trying to push away the image of Tyler’s shocked expression from his mind.  

Chapter End Notes:
Apologies for how late this was. Life has been pretty busy. 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: lance