It was going to be a good day.  Despite having to go into a meeting, and despite it being cloudy and windy, it was going to be good.  Ever since he had declared their friendship, she had been in a good mood.  Nik even wouldn’t shut up about it the afternoon before: ‘you smell like beer, you are laughing, you had a good time, what are you naming your babies’.  Julie was able to laugh about it.  A weight had been lifted that she hadn’t even realized was there.  It was kind of amazing that just one simple moment, one declaration could change her attitude so much.

 

When Julie had told her their deal, just to stay friends, Nik had pouted a little, saying it was a waste of a hot man but was happy that Julie was happy.  And Julie really was.  It was the simple triumph of no longer feeling like a bitch, about him really being interested in her now.  The amazing thing about the entire situation wasn’t the interest, or the kindness they shared, but the fact that they really had so much in common and their conversation was easy.  They actually had fun and made each other laugh.  And when she got home that night, she couldn’t help but think about how right he was.  She really did need a friend, a buddy.  Nik was great, but she was an employee and as much as Julie liked her, she didn’t tell her everything on purpose.  And Blake had just been so busy.  She could feel them pulling apart.  Not bad, just one of those natural things that happens when people get busy and move on with their lives.

 

A friend, girl or guy, cute or ugly, was exactly what she needed.

 

She opened up the door to the coffee shop and walked in, a gush of fresh air coming with her, mingling with the smell of freshly brewed coffee.

 

“Hey Julie.”

 

She walked to the counter as Chris worked to get her beverage ready.  “Hey Chris, how ya doing?

 

“Fine.  New guy is here.”             

 

“Yeah?  How you liking him?”    

 

Chris shrugged, “Seems super nice.  I heard you got him the job.  So if I hate him, I’m blaming you.  Here’s your tea.”

 

She smacked her hand on her forehead and laughed, “Oh, I’m also getting Nik a tall mocha and Lisa a double java frosted—what’s that thing she gets?”  She had been so busy thinking about how happy she was she had forgotten the main reason she had come in to get drinks.  Lisa had come in this morning to help them do an overall inventory of their books.  It was going to be a long day, even longer because she had her association meeting that afternoon.  Normally the meetings became a bitch fest, would put her in a piss poor mood and she’d go back and vent to Nik for hours.  Somewhere last year she had agreed to take minutes for them.  So she always felt like she had to go, couldn’t bail, even though she kind of hated the meetings.

 

“Don’t worry, I got it—I know what Ms. Picky orders,” Chris said.

 

“Thanks!  Is he back there?”

 

“Justin? Yeah.”  Chris leaned a little towards the back room and called out, “Hey Justin!”

 

Julie grumbled, a little embarrassed, “You didn’t have to get him.”

 

He emerged, looking much more casual than the day before.  Jeans and a red polo shirt, eyes sparkling with interest and excitement. He was relaxed and seemed super happy and engaged.  “Hey Jules!”

 

“Just saying hey.”  She waved and he smiled at her, leaning over the counter where some scones were wrapped in plastic.

 

“Hey buddy,” he grinned, dragging out the word.

 

When Mark appeared behind Justin, she asked both of them while dropping a bit of milk into her cup.  “How’s training?”

 

“He’s better at this than me.”  Mark’s eyes widened.  “He’s like training me.  Efficient flow.  Scheduling via email—there’s this thing called a Doodle, I don’t know. Product retention.  I’m totally lost.”

 

Julie laughed, “Well ya know, I expect commission if he works out.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, your commission is freebies, so don’t push it missy.”

 

Chris said excuse me to Justin and put the two other drinks in front of her in a carry tray and she put her tea in with it.  She couldn’t imagine drinking the thing that Lisa had ordered.  It had whipped cream and sprinkles and a big round top with a huge straw out of it.  If Julie was going to waste her calories, she was getting a damn milkshake, or a hot dog.   “Ya’ll have fun.”

 

She was half way to the door to leave when she heard her name being called.

 

She turned and Mark was right behind her, his hands were in his cargo shorts and his pale tan Hawaiian style shirt had some stains on it already.  Poor guy, he looked a mess.  She had never noticed it before, but now beside Justin who looked so put together, it was insanely obvious.   

 

“What’s up?”

 

“First, thanks.  I really think he’s gonna work out.”  He was smiling brightly.

 

She tried not to smile too brightly, but that was great news to her.  She was glad to be able to help. “Awesome.”

 

“Also…”  He looked around for a minute and leaned in a bit, saying quietly.  “Did you hear the gossip?”

 

She eyed him.  Mark always looked pretty relaxed, but right now, despite the sandals and the stained shirt, he looked anxious.  “No. What gossip?”

 

“Donnie is leaving.”

 

“Leaving?”

 

“Yeah, he’s moving.”

 

Her eyes widened.  Donnie was the ass of the group, but he had had his store longer than anyone else in the center.  He was the first person to move there when the places were built 20 years ago.  Even though he was just a florist, and wasn’t the busiest shop in the group, it was weird to think of him leaving.  “Moving the store?”

 

Mark shook his head.  “No, just closing the business and he’s moving to Montana.”

 

“Montana?!”  This was stupid and shocking.  Donnie was born and raised here, was big into politics here.  He was one of the most well known people in Walterville. 

 

“Yeah, I don’t know.”

 

She sat her tray of drinks on the closest empty table by the door.  It was scary.  As the university grew and more and more dorms were being built outside of the downtown area, the town was becoming more of a commuter town.  More people meant more business, sure, but business outside town, on the outskirts, mini malls and fancy outdoor shopping centers with Targets and Starbucks and chain stores made to look like boutiques.  Their little shopping center needed a boost, not another nail in the coffin.  “He’s not selling the business?”

 

“I know.  It’s got Barbs freaked out.  She’s convinced a tattoo shop is going to open up in that spot.”

 

She laughed.  “What’s she care?  She’s covered in them.”  Barbara had Betty Boop tattoos all along her arms and neck.  It went with her whole 50s pin up girl aura.  She was probably wearing polka dots right now.

 

“She’s gotta point, though.  We’re doing good with our little one-stop shopping boutique thing.  Tattoo shop isn’t our image.”

 

“I’m more concerned with having two vacant stores in the building.” 

 

“That’s true.”

 

Julie licked her lips and glanced over where Chris and Justin were talking and laughing about something.  “I mean, Carl’s only doing classes now three times a week and at night, so it’s kind of like we have three vacancies now.”

 

“Maybe we should talk about this at the meeting.”

 

Julie eyed him, “I thought you weren’t going.”

 

“I wasn’t, but now with Donnie not going…”

 

“Is the developer dude still coming?”

 

“Who knows?  Probably not.  Kind of suspicious that last week he was pushing that guy on us and now he’s up and gone.” Julie sighed.  This was getting heavy and messy.   “And Molly and Ivan were talking yesterday about how they’ve been having trouble with bills and not enough customers.”

 

She ran a hand through her hair and passed him a look.  Their bad business would be bad for her.  She barely made it by, never made a profit, but was able to keep everything going because of her writing.  But if things would tank, if the whole little building they were in went under, she’d have to figure something out.  This wasn’t supposed to be part of the bargain when she bought the shop.  It was supposed to be pretty easy.  And most of the time it was.

 

It wasn’t supposed to be stressful and she knew that was a naive way to think.  It was supposed to be fun.  And it was fun.  But this was worrying.  “Shit Mark, don’t freak me out.”

 

“Well I know my business is doing fine.  We aren’t going anywhere soon.  I keep half of Walterville alive while the other half go to Starbucks.”

 

Justin was still smiling and laughing as Chris was telling him some story and showing him some of the equipment behind the counter.  Julie sucked in her bottom lip and then looked back at Mark.  “I know he’s been only training for a few hours, but maybe Mr. Business degree has some ideas.”  Mark turned and looked at Justin, as if he were contemplating the idea in his mind.  Julie wondered if maybe she shouldn’t have said that.  It could be awkward for everyone, pulling in a new guy so suddenly.  Their meetings were for owners, not managers.  But most of them were owners and managers.  So she turned the subject back around.  “I can’t believe Donnie’s leaving.”

 

“Yeah, he’s selling his entire inventory today for half off and then selling equipment and wants to be gone by next Friday.”  Mark paused only a moment and then said, “Hey Justin, come here for a second, will ya?”

 

He looked at them and then maneuvered his way around the counter to where they were standing in the center front of the shop.  Julie shifted to move their pow-wow over a little bit.  They were beginning to block traffic in and out of the door. 

 

“What’s up?” he asked, hands in pockets, looking at both of them.

 

Mark asked, “Would you be up for doing to a meeting with me and Julie at 1?  It’s this little association thing that all the businesses here in the building go to once a month.  There’s some drama going on that you should probably be aware of.”

 

He shrugged, “Yeah sure.”

 

Julie sighed and picked up the drinks she had left on the table.  “Y’all, I gotta get these drinks to my girls or they’ll be mad.  I’ll meet you at 12:45 in the parking lot and we can walk over.  It’s at the Flower Pot this time, right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“See y’all then.”

 

 

The back room of the Flower Pot was reserved for them and they all sat around the table waiting for everyone to show up.  Barbara was staring at Justin, smiling just slightly.  Ivan and Molly looked like they didn’t have time for this, checking their watches and talking to each other in a hushed and annoyed tones, and Julie just scribbled on her small yellow pad as Mark and Justin chatted.  A few minutes after one, Carl walked in, briefcase in hand, saying a soft apology for being late.

 

Mark began, “Alright everyone, anyone heard from Mr. Strickland?”

 

Barbara crossed her arms over her  red polka dotted shirt.  “He ain’t coming.  He’s been to one of these things in the past two years.  He’ll just wait for the minutes from Julie and then complain that there are too many college kids around.”

 

“So everyone knows about Donnie right?” Everyone in the group nodded.   “Barb, did you get any more information from him?”

 

She got a mischievous look in her eyes that were made up with heavy eye makeup. “He’s not selling the business.  He’s shutting down and moving to Billings.  I don’t know what’s going on.  But I think Billings is a sham.  I think he hasn’t paid taxes and he’s leaving the country.”

 

“Barb, you don’t know that and let’s not spread so much gossip all the damn time.  Did he mention if he had any buyers?”Julie bit her lip so she wouldn’t smile when Mark got all bossy on Barbara.  She glanced at Justin.  She could see him trying to take in the situation, figure people out, looking around and trying to remember faces and personalities.  And she knew people were staring at him, wondering who he was and what he was doing here.  It could be an awkward situation for him, but he seemed cool, calm and at ease about being in a new crowd. 

 

“He said that Ink Blot was looking for a new location.”

 

“Mr. Strickland would flip,” Ivan said.

 

Mark laughed a little and put his hands up, “Ok, before we all go into wild hysterics, this is Justin Carroll.  He’s my new manager.  I know this is usually just for owners, but I wanted you guys to meet him.  Plus, he may have some ideas that we’ve never thought about.”  Justin’s smile was comforting, but confident.  “So why don’t we go around and introduce ourselves. You know Julie Hancock with Reader’s Corner,” she stuck her tongue out at him and he playfully nudged her arm with his elbow.  “And you know me…”

 

They went around the table with introductions.  Barbara smiled and gently touched her fingertips to her bursting cleavage.  “I’m Barbara Mikels and I own Betty’s Closet.”

 

The man who looked like he was trying to be Mr. Clean with is black pants, tight shirt and shiny bald head said, “I’m Ivan and this is my wife Molly.  We own the Salon.”

 

Carl was sitting beside Justin and extended his hand.  “Shouto Nakano.  You may call me Carl. I teach karate classes in the space between Julie and Mark’s.

 

When the introductions were finished, Mark said, “And Donnie Blackenship owned Flowers First, but apparently not anymore.  Mr. Strickland runs the apartments, but he never comes to these meetings.  He’s also old and crotchety and none of us like him and Julie don’t write that down.”

 

Julie laughed and drew a smiley face beside her note that said, “Introductions.”

 

Justin nodded to everyone and said, “Nice to meet you all.”

 

“So, does anyone else have anything to talk about on Donnie?  Barbs told us all she knows and then some, so I think at this point we should move on.  If we find out more later, I’m sure we’ll all hear about it sooner or later.  Anything new anyone wants to share?”

 

Carl cleared his throat and said, “I have something exciting. You guys know I rent my space from Mr. Strickland.”

 

Julie leaned towards Justin a little and mumbled, “The rest of us own our properties, but Mr. Strickland is holding onto the space where Carl teaches Karate and the vacant one in front of the apartments.”

 

“Well, I talked with him and he’s letting me sub-lease my space during the day.  You guys know during the day I’m not really able to give lessons…”

 

She mumbled again, “He teaches Japanese language and culture at State.”

 

“…so I’ve been looking around at leasing my space during the day.  Mr. Strickland fought this, but I found someone he really likes.  He has a long standing tenant in his apartments named Kay Garrett who teaches yoga and she usually goes to gyms and churches to teach her classes.   She has become so popular she wants to teach in her own studio.  I’m going to let her lease my space during the day.  She already has a pretty solid schedule and you can expect her there every day but Sunday and Monday.”

 

“That’s awesome,” Molly said. “I love yoga!”

 

Justin nodded and agreed, “Yeah, people who do yoga during the day hours often have expendable income—they are the people who’ll come in after and grab some coffee, or may get their hair done…” He looked at Ivan and Molly when he said it and then moved his eyes and smiled at Barbara who blushed in return “…or some shopping even.  Do you guys do anything to piggy back off each other’s customers?”

 

Ivan said, “Like…”

 

“Like, I don’t know,” Julie watched him.  He became excited, spoke with his hands.  It was like the other night on his deck.  He was getting into something, happy to be talking, ideas coming to his mind.  “Discount days or something.  Like show your receipt for Readers Corner at Java and get 20% off your purchase.”  He was good at this.  He made what he said seem easy, but exciting.  She looked over at Mark who was grinning at her.  Yeah, she had done good helping him with this job.  “Or I don’t know, you teach Karate, Carl—what age range?”

 

“Mostly kids.”

 

Justin looked around at the blank stares looking back at him.  Only Julie and Mark were grinning, “So what do the parents do when the kids are at practice?  Go home, wait in their cars?  We should encourage them to patron our businesses while they wait.”

 

Barbara said, “I wonder if Mr. Strickland would let us spruce up the patio?”  She smiled again at Justin and winked.  “That’s the area with tables outside of Mark’s.  I’ve been saying for years that a few plants with flowers would make all the difference.”

 

Julie piped in, “Ya know what would be awesome, if we could get an ice cream shop to go in one of the vacant spaces.”

 

Molly laughed, “You just want ice cream, Julie.”

 

“So yes, there are personal reasons…”  She laughed and they chuckled with her.  “But, think about it guys, where’s a good place around here to get ice cream or frozen yogurt?  College kids would eat that stuff up!”

 

“You mean you’d eat it up,” Justin said and she glared. 

 

“Think about it guys, if our shops are busy then that makes Mr. Strickland’s apartments look more attractive.  I really don’t think a lot of people live there now.  The parking lot out back for tenants is never full, and I don’t see people going in and out that often.  If he can be on our side with this, then I think we can do some good for all of us.”

 

Barbara smiled and batted her eyes, “Justin, you are just inspiring all new kinds of ideas.”

 

“Well thanks,” he scratched the back of his neck and chuckled.  “I know all of you are probably very busy, so I wouldn’t mind putting together a proposal.  When Jules sends out the minutes, we can add any more of our ideas.”

 

For a moment, Julie was afraid that he was going on too much, taking too much charge.  Ivan seemed pissy, but as soon as Justin mentioned everyone else’s busy schedule and that he’d do the work, everyone was nodding, smiling.

 

When the meeting was over, everyone wanted to talk to him, shake his hand and welcome him.  Julie decided to grab herself a to-go sandwich from the counter while Justin talked with everyone.  But she didn’t have to wait long.  He made some excuse to leave, and everyone else started moving that way as well.  Mark stayed behind to talk to Carl about some things, so Justin and Julie walked the two blocks back to the shopping center together.

 

Julie nudged him with her elbow, swinging her bag of food in the air beside her, “You’re very impressive.”

 

“Oh, I just have a lot of business ideas—most of them are simple.  I just need something healthy to obsess over.  I wasn’t too over bearing, was I?

 

Julie shook her head no and said, “But Barb’s is so in love with you. She’s a helpless flirt, so watch out.”

 

“Just my style.”  He smiled.  “So Mr. Strickland, what’s his story?”

 

“He owns half of Walterville.  But he’s kind of a mean old man.  He’s very set in his ways and not open to new ideas unless he is convinced they will make him money.  He gets pissy at us because he says all we do is bring heathen college kids to the place. Who do you expect is going to patron a place right across from a major university?”

 

“I need to meet him.  Maybe if he can believe this revitalization project is his idea, he’ll help us out.

 

“Revitalization?”

 

Justin eyed her, “Yeah, you might want to hire me as a consultant because, uh, your store needs a face lift as well.”

 

“My store is just fine, thank you.”

 

“Don’t get defensive.  It’s just…frumpy.”

 

Julie shook her head and pointed at him.  “You’re on day one of training, hold your horses.  People like dusty old book stores.”

 

“Well, if you ever want advice or tips from an expert, let me know.”

 

“Expert?” She laughed at him.  “Right, sure!  Mr. Wendy’s, can I have fries with that?”  He stuck his tongue out at her playfully and they continued their walk.  Julie was looking forward to her sandwich.  She wasn’t a vegetarian by any means, but the Flower Pot had the best veggie sandwich in the world and she was starving.  She then began to think about the possibly of an ice cream shop just around the corner.   She pouted a little and looked up at him, “I’m going to be so fat if there is an ice cream shop nearby.”

 

“Yeah right. You work out!”

 

She narrowed her eyes a little. “How do you know?”

 

He eyed her cautiously and put his hands up defensively before he said anything, “A girl with your hips can only get a waist that tiny by working out.”

 

She looked away.  It was a compliment that she would take and not make too much of a big deal about.  It meant he had checked her out, but they were friends now and they could mention this type of thing without it meaning anything.   “I just have good genes.  And I’m obsessed with my elliptical. I usually find a TV show that I can binge watch on Netflix and work out and just roll with it.  Right now I’m on LOST. I can’t believe I didn’t watch this when it was on.”          

 

“What season are you on?” he asked.

 

“Near the end of season two.”

 

“Well, I really liked it.  But beware that it turns into a Sci-Fi show.”

 

Julie smiled, “I can handle that.  I love stuff like that.”

 

“Really?”

 

She nodded and widened her eyes, “Yeah. I’m a total Star Wars nerd.”

 

“Me too!”  They were at a cross walk so he put up his hand and she smacked it in a high five while they waited for traffic to stop.  “Do you watch Trek?”

 

She grinned at him.  “Star Trek? Yeah, I mean I’ve watched it.  The new movies are cool.  I watched Next Generation back when I was little, but I’m not all into everything.”  He was blushing just slightly and she asked with a laugh.  “You are, aren’t you?”

 

He said quietly, “I really like the old ones.”

 

“You like them all, you space nerd!”  She laughed at him and he pushed at her shoulder a little bit.

 

“You’re one to talk.”

 

At that point they were back in front of the coffee shop, and Julie pointed into the corner where her shop was, “I should get back to it.  My girls are doing inventory, so who knows what’s going on in there.”

 

He laughed a little and then asked, “Alright, see you later?” 

 

“Sure.”

 

Both of them smiled at each other before parting.  It was fun, this friendship.  And she was proud of him and a little surprised.  She wasn’t expecting him to be such a commanding presence in that group.  She had gathered from their few conversations that John was much more outgoing and Justin was much more of someone to just sit in the background.   But she was wrong.  This was a side of him that maybe people didn’t know about, this commanding, excited, confident business savvy side.  Maybe she was just getting ahead of herself because it had been one day since they had had lunch and one day since he had gotten this job.  But nevertheless she was excited for him, excited for their little shops and excited that they were friends.

 

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story