Toya stood over the stove pulling the last few pieces of chicken out of the fry and placed it on the paper towel lined plate. She turned around and pulled three plates out of the cabinet and began to pile the plate up with mash potatoes and green beans and saving the chicken for last. She took a single plate out and walked into the small dining area where her Aunt Margaret sat tapping the ashes of her cigarette into an empty cup.

She watched as the older woman took another puff and waved her to place it down in front of her. The woman didn’t move to begin eating, but continued to watch Toya as she turned to grab the other two plates. She had been watching her closely ever since they had arrived to the house after being dropped off by their parent’s pastor and first lady. She didn’t speak much to her and her little brother Damion, but told her to go in and find them something to eat.

Toya returned with her and her brothers’ plates and set them up on the table. She looked over to see him sitting in front of the television half watching it, but glancing ever so often to look at their aunt as she puffed away.

“Damion dinner.” Toya called.

He nodded and quietly made his way over and sat down across from his older sister while eyeing his Aunt. Toya cleared her throat and reached out for his hands so they could say grace like they always had did at home.

Margaret scoffed with a mumble. “You are my sister’s children.”

Toya whispered a simple prayer and they began to eat quietly.

Margaret puffed again on her cigarette as the smoke filtered throughout the dinner area. Damion would cough occasionally throughout his meal and his eyes began to turn red. They weren’t use to the continuous smell of cigarette smoke.

Margaret didn’t touch her food, Toya had noticed.

She just continue to stare at Toya.

It wasn’t until they had got done eating and Damion was off in the shower and Toya was washing up dishes, did she decide to speak.

“How old are you again Toya?”

“16.”

Margaret stood up from her chair putting out her smoke and bringing her cup to dump out the ashes and placed it down into the dish water. She leaned up against the counter top next to Toya as she continued to wash dishes. She folded her arms across her chest and looked at the girl.

“I want you to know right now, I’m done raising kids I did my part with mines and he took his ass off to the other side of the country with his good for nothing daddy and left me here without a second thought. So listen, you going to have to watch your own brother and I mean you make sure he do his school work, he eat, clean and look half way decent. I’ll make sure you have want you both need and that’s it.”

Toya didn’t lift her head , but kept her eyes focused ahead while listening to her aunt say what she would and won’t do,” You old enough to have your own money, so you going to be working, I got the job just for you. If you want enough money to get yourself out and get your own place when you of age, you can take your brother with you. You ain’t going to offend me none.”

She pulled her small carton of smokes out and lit another one while eyeing Toya’s figure and with a smirk,” Yeah I definitely have the job for you.”

The next day Toya was coming out the bathroom headed back to the room she shared with her brother. When Margaret called out to her from her own bedroom. Toya pushed the door open and saw her aunt sitting on the edge of her bed with a red silk night gown on and matching house coat.

She sipped on her whiskey on ice while she reached for her cigarette carton again. For such a beautiful woman she smoked like a chimney. She placed her glass down on its crystal coaster and motion to the door of her closet,” Open up that door and try on the dress that hanging on the other side.”

Toya eyed the door and then Margaret,” GO on girl, I’m finna go to bed.”

Toya moved for the door pulling it open and scanned her brown eyes over it. It was a short red dress that low plunge that framed down into a V with an open back and straps wrapped around her neck. She looked back over her shoulder at her aunt and she flicked her hand quickly at her signaling to hurry up while she took another sip of her drink.

 She disappeared into the closet and re-emerged with the dress fitting every curve of her young body. Margaret looked at her through the smoke cloud that framed her face. She stood up walking over and stood before her,” Turn around.”

Toya did as she was told turning slowly until she was facing her aunt once more.

Pulling the cigarette from her faintly lipstick stained lips, she blew smoke into air and sucked her teeth,” Yeah you going to do just fine.”

It was a Thursday mid-morning when Toya walked into the 99 cent store with her wristlet round her wrist and her shopping list in her hand. It was her day off, but didn’t mean she had much time for rest, after getting Damion to school and coming home for a quick run around the block. She made her way back out to run a couple of errands around town. Her first stop was to get some household products, before going to the grocery store to get some food for the upcoming week.

 

Still dressed in her black spandex carpi pants, running shoes and a loose white t-shirt. She pushed her way through the aisles collecting various items. As she did, she began to feel eyes on her. She casually looked up from her list to see two girls, the aisle over glancing at her from time to time while they conversed in a rush tone.

 

She simply ignored them and continued with shopping, making a quick trip of it. As she made her way to the checkout line the same girls stood behind her with their own items to check out. Toya stood in line flipping through and mentally checking off her to-do list.

 

“Yeah, I heard she’s from Brooklyn or somewhere.”

 

She caught one of them whispering, she didn’t stop what she was doing as her ears tuned a little more in the whispered conversation.

 

“…. She call herself tryin’ to run shit at Porsche job, but she ain’t nobody.”

 

Toya rolled her eyes and tuned them out again. They must be some friends of Porsche. She didn’t have time to listen to petty gossip of a pouting little girl and her friends. She needed to check-out and head out to get an oil change. As she approached the check-out, she placed her things on the conveyer belt and the clerk began to scan her items.

 

“Good afternoon Ms. Did you find everything okay?” The young Hispanic woman asked as she smiled popping her chewing gum between her teeth.

 

A brief smile and a nod is all Toya gave her as she watched her drag items quickly along the scanner. Toya watched the screen as the items added up and once the clerk was done. She stabbed at the enter button with her long neon orange talons and popped a bubble as she read the total, “That will be 20.42.”

 

Toya dug exact change out of her wristlet and handed to the woman and she handed her back the receipt.

 

“I have a question?” Toya asked as she glanced at the girls name tag.

 

“Melinda.”

 

She nodded as she began ring up the next customer’s items,” Do you know of place that does affordable oil changes around here?”

 

The woman thought for a moment and then clicked her tongue when the thought came to her,” Yeah yeah, its a few blocks down a family own business called J.C and Family. They real good and real easy on the pocket they will work with you if you don’t have it. It’s the blue building on the right two lights down.”

 

“Oh ok thank you I appreciate it.”

 

“No problem, oh tell them Melinda sent ya. Have a nice day honey.”

 

Toya smiled back while grabbing her few bags out of the cart and pushed it back over to where she found it. She headed back outside and placed her things into her truck and headed off to find the place.

 

J.C and Family.

 

 She thought it sounded familiar or maybe she had seen it before.

She pulled up to the second light while looking out of front view mirror at the blue building in the short distance. It confirmed her thoughts, she had seen the building before. She drove slower and closer turning onto blinker while turning into the side parking lot, once she entered it hit her.

 

This is Justin and his brother’s place.

 

She groaned inward as she pulled into the parking lot. She glanced at herself in the mirror and reached up to undo and redo her ponytail before grabbing her wallet and phone and getting out of the car. As she locked her car up. She opened up the top of her shirt fanning herself trying to see if she smelt musty after her run this morning.

She wished she would have went and took a shower before running around, but was glad she didn’t smell. She made her way up to the garage door as various cars were being worked on, music blared from further inside. The smell of oil, car exhaust and cigarette smoke instantly hit her noses once she set further into the building. As she approached closer, she noticed Justin bent underneath a hood of a car tinkering on the inside. He grunted as it looked like he was trying to get something loose, his arms flexed with every moment his forearm streaked with dirt, sweat and oil.

Sweat dripped down the sides of his face and along his neck. The front of his dirty v- neck white t-shirt was damp with perspiration and his open gray uniform with his name on the right and the company logo on it was worn and faded. The heat definitely picked up a few degrees within an hour and the back of her neck was began to sweat as well. He reached down at the bottom of his shirt and dragged it across his face to wipe the sweat exposing his tone stomach.

Toya hummed softly as she licked her lips subconsciously and then shifted her eyes from his stomach back to his face.

 He pulled a part out and wiped it with the dirty rag that was tucked in his back pocket and tossed it to the man that stood beside him watching.

“I think we have one more of these parts in stock, if not put an order in for it.” He instructed as he readjusted his baseball cap and twisted it backwards.

“Aight boss.” The man replied making his way into the back.

He backed away from the car wiping his hands.

“Hey Toya…”

She turned around to the sound of her name being called from deep within the garage. Charlie faced appeared as he walked out. She gave him a friendly smile while glancing over to Justin who was now focused in on her as well.

“Hey Charlie.”

He approached her stopping a few feet from her,” How you feelin? It looks like you survived your hungover.”

She chuckled,” Yeah and the last one. It was more trouble than it was worth.”

“I hear ya, what’s brings you over here?”

“Um, well I was in need of an oil change, Melinda sent me over there.”

“Ah, little senorita, always bringing in the business for us. But yeah we can take care of you, well Justin can. I was out to do a run, but he can get you squared away, who better than the boss eh”

Charlie smirked and winked while throwing an arm around her shoulder and moving them towards Justin were he still stood,” Hey Jay, I’m heading out. Toya needs an oil change I told her you would take care of her.”

Justin nodded and glanced out towards to the parking lot,” The Lexus right?”

“Yeah.”

He held his hand out for her keys and she dropped them in his waiting hand,” I’m going to pull in over on the other side.”

She nodded watching as he headed out towards her car.

“ Alright I’m gone. He got it. I’ll see you lata.” Charlie pulled his arm from her and winked walking out as a couple guys follow behind him as they hopped into a cargo van and drive off.

Justin hopped out the car and yelled for one of his workers to lift the car. Toya looked standing in the spot Charlie left her in. She shifted nervously as people buzzed around, some glancing and some gawking. As he began to drain her old oil into a pan, he waved her over.

She walked over carefully trying not to get in anyone’s way. Once she approached Justin spoke,” You need an alignment on your wheels as well as some new tires. You need some Freon it will help the A/C blow cooler.

He moved around the underside of her car, checking it out, wiggle and pulling on things. As he rattled off the repairs she needed, she began to run off numbers in her head. She could feel the stress began to build up in her shoulders by it tighten. She sighed rolling her neck and her shoulders

“ Okay, what is most important and the cost?”

Justin eyed the car once again as he rattled off an oil number to one of the guys and they scurried off to grab it,” Breaks, the wheels and alignment. You need to align your wheels so you don’t wear out your breaks and tires quicker than needed. So you look at about 300 for the set of breaks, you can get used tires that’s going to be a little under 100 and the alignment is going to be 50.”

She sighed calculating it on her phone muttering,” If its not one thing its another.”

She checked her accounts to see what monies she could afford to let go off. She would have to go home and shift something around, she sighed,” Okay I’ll have to figure it out later, but let me just get the oil change for right now.”

Justin nodded and went back to changing her oil while she watched. She folded her arms over her chest. She looked around the shop watching as his workers worked tentatively to their respective duties, laughing and joking around from time to time. She stepped over a little closer to him, but staying out of the way.

“I want to thank you for taking my brother to school the other day. You really didn’t have to do that. He could have just woke me up.”

Justin shrugged,” It’s no big deal. You can go wait over there by the office door. This won’t take me long.”

He pointed out a couple of chairs off to the side against a concrete wall. He didn’t look at her, but continue on to what he was doing. She dropped her head a little at his abruptness and ambled over and took a seat.    

Thirty minutes later, while Toya was emerged in a game of Candy Crush Justin walked up with her keys dangling from his finger tip.

“It’s already for you.”

She jerked her head up looking at him he was now just wearing his white tee.

“O-oh okay.” She gathered her wallet and stood up to take the keys from him and went to unzipping her wallet to get her debit card.

“It’s on the house.”

She shook her head,” No, I’ll pay. I don’t want no favors.”

Justin rolled his neck cracking slightly,” First time customers for basic services fee are always waivered. It’s what we do and that’s what are makes us. Contrary to popular rumor.”

She stares at him as he looks boldly back her with a serious demeanor. She slowly zipped back up her wallet and cleared her throat.

“Well thank you.”

“I’ll walk you ot to your car.” Stepping aside allowing her to walk ahead.

He didn’t give her any room to argue or didn’t seem in the mood too. She didn’t want have to owe him or anybody for that matter. So maybe she could ask Charlie or better yet Angie how much it cost and she would drop off the money when he wasn’t there.

She nodded and headed out towards her car and he went to open it for her. She gazed up into his eyes and her breath hitched in her throat as he was staring right back without hesitation.

“I put the Freon in it too, turn it on and you can tell the difference.” He instructed her.

She sat down in her seat and put her keys in and bringing it back to life. She adjusted her temperatures and it was almost instant she could feel the icy cold blast against her skin, sending goose bumps along her arms. She closed her eyes letting it blow against her face as smile of relief creeped over her lips.

She looked back at him.” I really appreciate this.”

He nodded his head before taking hold of the door and closing it shut for her with a tap of her hood. He turned back to the shop. Toya watched from her rearview as he walked off and caught herself longing for him to look back.

In which he did.

She grinned to herself.

Toya pushed her gear into drive and rolled slowly out towards the exit, stopping just before the street as she waited for a clear break back into traffic. As she looked up and down the street, suddenly a white van came screeching onto flowing traffic, full speed. She looked on as a black truck followed closely behind followed by gun shots.

It happened so fast and also in slow motion. She could see the flying bullets scattering random car windows that was in its path. She could see Charlie hanging out of the window of the white van, shooting back at the mysterious truck. As they forged forward closer and closer a bullet went straight through the back window of a car going past her and hit the driver in the back of the head splattering blood everywhere.

She opened her mouth and could feel the blood shrieking scream leave her mouth, but she couldn’t hear it. She pressed her hands so tightly to her ears that she let go of the wheel and drew her legs instinctively towards her body forgetting her foot to remain on the park. The car rolled out onto incoming traffic.

A car sped towards her in attempt to get out of the line of fire and clipped the tail end of her car, sending her spin out towards the other end of the street. She screamed and screamed not knowing whether to steer her car or keep her head down in fear of catching one of those stray bullets herself.

All she could think about was the death of her parents, she didn’t want to go out like her parents. She couldn’t leave Damion behind to bury his sister. She hit the break, with her head still down and hands over her ears. She prayed for the best.

Justin turned his head to bullets and screeching tires. He nodded to his men as everyone broke out in all direction. Some to fetch the guns, some to gather all the innocent bystanders and some towards the gate of the garage waiting for Charlie’s van to come flying inside so they could quickly shut them off.

As one of his man returned with his gun, he cocked it as he made his way to the gate just in time to hear a scream. He looked up to see Toya’s car flying off into traffic and went spinning after a car crashed into the back of rear end.

His body took flight, taking off running at full speed while sending out orders,” Cover me!”

 

 

 

 


Incomplete
B-Twice is the author of 7 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Grown also liked 268 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story