LeToya rose the next morning from the guest bedroom of her cousins’ house and made her way to the back porch with a cup of jasmine green tea and sat down in one of the sun beaten chairs. The sky was bathed a deep orange as it peeked over the horizon. Even the mornings were pleasant in Cali.  She pulled her legs up towards her chest and the heels of her feet dug down into the cushion of the seat while hugging onto her coffee cup.

 

She took a moment to gather her thoughts like she did ever morning. While Damion was sleep, she usually would get up and go running, but after the long 2 and a half day drive she couldn't bring herself to muster up the energy for her normal five mile run. She inhaled the steamy goodness of her tea and took a sip with closed eyes.

 

She breathed in the jasmine scent with the mixture of freshly cut grass and the morning dew. She didn't know when was the last time she was breathing car fumes and back alley nauseating aromas with drunken pedestrians finding any nook and crane to piss in. She quietly whispered a thanks to the heavens for this breakthrough opportunity.

 

She looked back through the glass door as her little brother stretched out along the worn leather couch with his face deep in his pillow and his arm dangling onto the floor. She smiled warmly before turning back taking another sip. Ever so thankful.

 

She sat out until the sun rose up fully, her cup ran empty and her quiet moment was interrupted by her cousin as he pulled back the sliding door and stepped outside with her.

 

"Good morning." His voice croaked a bit as he had his own warm beverage, freshly brewed coffee.

 

She threw him a pleasant smile," Morning."

 

 

He leaned down kissing the top of her forehead before sitting down beside her letting a much needed release of yawn and shake to wake himself. They both looked at each other and chuckled.

 

"Sorry."

 

She waved him off pushing a couple of strands of her curls back out her face. Michael took a couple more sips of his coffee before looking over at her," How you been holding up?"

 

She glanced back over to him and shrugged," Always the best way I can."

 

 

"How did Damion feel about the move once you told him?"

 

 

They both glanced into the house to see Damion still in his deep sleep," He handled like he handles everything in stride. As long as I am okay, he's okay."

 

 

"He hasn't given you a hard time?"

Toya lifted an eyebrow and smiled," Nothing that I can't handle. He's a teenager he tests his limits from time to time, but all around he tries his best not to give me a hard time and I try my best to not smother him. I have to constantly balance being his guardian and his sister."

 

 

"That can't be easy." He looked out towards the lawn, taking another sip.

 

 

"Nope none of this has been easy, but it’s doable."

 

Michael nodded in understandingly. He knew what she meant dealing with his father and his terminal illness and after his death was anything, but easy. But he did the best he could and that was all you could do was just do it.

 

He reached over grabbing her hand as it rested on her knee," I don't know if I've ever told you, but you are one the strongest, bravest woman I've had the pleasure of knowing and being related too. Damion is pretty damn lucky to have you."

 

She squeezed his hand," I'm pretty damn lucky to have him and you."

 

He winked dropping her hand and ruffling her head full of brown curls," So anyways, I'm going to go inside and cook us up some breakfast and we can head out to the apartment complex afterwards. My homeboy's girlfriend said she can only hold the paperwork until the end of closing day."

 

Toya nodded dropping her feet down onto the ground," Yeah we can do that. We will get cleaned up while you cook."

 

"Cool and I'll hop in the shower after we eat."

 

Michael stood up and pulled back the sliding door allowing Toya to walk in front before following behind closing the door.

 

After morning showers and a belly full of breakfast, they were on the streets of Inglewood. Michael and Damion in the U-Haul and Toya following behind them in Michael's fully loaded dodge charger. She glanced out the tinted windows at the various places trying to get a feel of the area she will now be calling home.

 

 

The ride wasn't long it was about ten minutes away from Michael's, but fifteen due to light traffic. They soon pulled up into complex of Shady Grove apartments. They complex was small, four sets of apartment building looking to hold about 45 apartments.  They pulled up at the leasing office and Toya hopped out with her bag following behind Michael as Damion waited in the car.

 

After about fifteen minutes of signing papers, she collected her keys and they headed out back towards the front to the first set of apartments and she was grateful that they had gotten bottom apartment for a change and it seemed for the time being that didn't have any upstairs neighbors.

 

 

 

 

Michael motioned to the top floor," They use that apartment as a showroom. So you don't have to worry about anyone moving in."

 

Another thing to be thankful for.

 

She walked to the door, slipping in the key and unlocking. The first thing she noticed was the fresh smell of paint and carpet. No more cold wooden floors. They stepped inside and Damion darted back towards the bedrooms and Toya headed for the kitchen, black appliances and dark colored counter tops.  Plenty of kitchen storage and plenty of cooking space.

 

"Two bedrooms! Shit yeah!" She heard Damion shout.

 

"Damion!" She warned.

 

He emerged from the back with a sheepish grin," Sorry, but finally my own space."

 

She just smiled at him with a knowing grin. She moved around the counter and he threw his arm over her shoulder," We done come up now sis."

 

She laughed shaking her head as they moved around the apartment checking the place out. As Chris awed at the space, Toya walked around turning on switches and checking the sinks to make sure things worked properly.

 

 

Michael followed behind her as she stood in the middle of her son to be bedroom as her face behind to frown as she was in deep thought," I got the rent covered for about four months until, you get a couple of checks stacked underneath your belt. It’s only $650, but don't tell anyone it turns an easy $800 for a two bedroom and two bath around here. My homeboy’s girlfriend boss owes her some favors."

 

Toya sighed a bit with relief looking over to him as he leaned in the doorway with his arms folded," I don't know how to thank you Michael."

 

He shrugged walking over to her as he pulled her into an embrace," You don't. We family, we are all we have. We stick together. I just wish I could have helped you sooner."

 

She hugged his waist tightly," This was right on time. Trust me."

 

He pulled back squeezing her arms and kissed her forehead," It always is."

 

She hugged once more before releasing him all together," Well let's get to unloading."

 

He nodded letting her lead the way.

 

 

It didn't take long for them to unload and began setting up the apartment. Since they didn't have a lot of stuff. Michael headed up going back to his place and loading up his guest queen size bed and bedroom furniture and placing it into Toya's bedroom.

 

She promised to pay him back for that, but he insisted it was house warming gift for them. They finally finished unloading everything in the house and placing them in their appropriate spot a little afternoon 10 p.m. They went out to grab some food and were now sitting around the living room watching a movie.

 

Toya sat curled up on one end of the couch while Damion stretched out on the other end and Michael was reclined back in old lazy boy. Toya and Michael shared a beer while Damion sipped on a bottled water. Michael stretched his legs and looked at his watch.

 

"Aye, I think I'm going to head home. Got to work at the office for a couple of hours in the morning then I can swing by here show y'all around maybe head out to LA."

 

He stood up from chair, leaning down giving Damion one of those coded handshakes. Before heading towards the door, Toya got up from her spot and followed behind him outside to see him to his car.

 

"Thanks for everything Mike." Looking over to him as they walked side by side. He just smiled and threw his arm around her shoulder giving her a side hug.

 

"Ah, it's nothing. We all in this together."

 

She nodded and smiled at the reassured hugging his side before letting him walk off towards his car. Before he could open the car door wide enough for him to step in they both heard his name called.

 

"Michael is that you?"

 

 

The feminine voice was coming from across the parking lot from the other building. It wasn't until the dark form made it halfway across the street did they get a picture of her face. Toya watched her cousin reaction in pure shock with a wide grin on his face.

 

"Get the hell out here. Angie??"

 

 

The woman laughed as he stepped away from his car meeting her towards the back of his car as they embraced each other warmly. Someone he apparently knew well as they laughed as they swayed back and forth in embrace. Toya took notice of the leopard tattoos that were inked up and down the length of right arm.

 

 

 

She was first to pull back and even she did that a bit hesitantly," It's so good to see you. Wow, how long had it been?"

 

 

 

“A couple of years I think, wow you look good."

 

"And am I not suppose too?" She sassed with a grin.

 

He shook his head," Naw, Naw I didn't mean like that...."

 

She waved him off and smiled Toya shifted which caught her eye and she stepped back from Michael," Oh I'm sorry was I interrupting something?"

 

Michael followed her gaze and forgot Toya was standing behind him and he chuckled motioning for Toya to come over.

 

"No, sorry this is my cousin LeToya, she just moved out from New York, Toya this is Angie we went to school together."

 

Toya led out her hand and Angie shook it gently," Nice to meet you."

 

Angie nodded smiling between the two and Michael beamed back her with Toya held back a laugh watching her cousins reaction towards her. They must have a history she noted that she would have to ask about that later. They stood there in silence for a few moments and when it became enough and took awkward. Toya was the first to bail.

 

Toya turned to her cousin and patted his shoulder. “Well I'm going to go inside, I'm tired. I will see you in the morning. Just call me when you heading back over. So we will be ready."

 

 

He nodded taking a moment to break his glance for the woman in front him," Yeah, Yeah."

 

She stifled a chuckle and gave Angie a wave," Nice to meet you."

 

"You too." Angie smiled back.

 

She turned on her heels and headed back to her apartment looking back over her shoulder once as Michael and Angie stood there talking and once more before closing the door to see them in another embrace.

 

“What do you guys want out of the store?” Regina looked back at her kids as they pushed each other back and forth as they bickered amongst their selves. She sighed reaching her hand back between them shoving to one side and one to the other.

 

“Enough! Now what’s the problem LeToya?” She asked sternly. She watched as her teenage daughter roll her eyes with agitation all over her face.

 

“He is being disgusting picking his noses and trying to wipe them on me.”

 

Regina watched her son cover his mouth trying to let out a laugh while she looked sternly at him. She had to admit she was trying to hold back one herself. He was just so darn cute when he was being a menace and thoroughly joyed getting under his sister skin. But she knew if she just rectify that their bickering would only escalate.

 

“Damion now that’s not right. And she is right that is nasty, so keep your bodily fluids to yourself and stop pestering you sister, do you hear me? “She pointed a finger at him with a raised eyebrow letting him know she met business.

 

He dropped his hand from his mouth and nodded,” Yes ma’am.”

 

She gave him a gentle smile,” Now what do you guys want out of the store before daddy gets out.”

 

“I don’t want anything.” Toya stated with her arms folded looking out the window.

 

“Can I get a ring pop?” Damion asked cheerfully.

 

Regina winked at her son,” You got it baby boy.”

 

She pushed open the car door wrapping her coat around her body tightly as she braced for the gust of cold area. Toya watched as her mother quickly walked across quickly to the convenience store door meeting her husband as he came back from the restroom.

 

Toya turned back to her brother as he was inching towards her with a large green wad on his finger with the most devious grin.

 

“DAMION!!” She screeched as she shoved him back.

 

BANG BANG BANG!

 

She shot up in a cold sweat with tears rolling down her face.

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story