Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy and leave a review.

 

 

 

Toya entered her bedroom and dropped her purse on the floor and dived head first onto her bed. As soon as her body hit the softness of her bed she let out a long sigh. She was exhausted. It wasn't the job itself because it was a breeze, but it was everything together. The packing, the moving, the driving, the unpacking and everything else in between it had taken a total on her body. She was damn near sleep on the drive home from picking Damion. She knew she only had a few minutes before she had to get up and start on dinner, but for now she was coming let the comfort of her bed consume her.

 

Even though sleepy, she allowed her mind to wander over the days event and only two things stuck out for her. The conversation with Tiwanna and the guy she ran into again. What a little cocky bastard was the first thing that came to mind, but also a bit of amusement came when she recalled their reactions.

 

His little stab at her was comical to her because of the simple fact he was hurt when she used that line on him and jogged away. She knew what it looked like when a man's ego was hurt and he was like any other man, that did the whole "tough guy" act in some lame attempt to catch her attention.

 

It was a total turn-off to her and she had no problem shooting it down. She was no way looking for a man, whether it be something causal or long time, but a fling she might consider. It had been along time.

 

She shook her head at the thought.

 

She had too much on her plate right now than worrying about a man and having to pet his ego. She had dinner to make.

 

She pushed herself up from the bed, grabbing her night clothes from the chair in the corner in the room and headed off to the bathroom. Before she disappeared inside she poked her head inside Damion's open bedroom door as he sat on the edge slipping out of his shoes and lining against the wall with his other pairs.

 

He was a sneaker addict.

 

"Hey what you have a taste for dinner?"

 

He shrug his shoulders as he grabbed his backpack from the floor and dug out the contents," Doesn't matter."

 

"Ok, I'm going to hop in the shower, can you throw the buffalo chicken strips in the over and I'll do the fries when I come out."

 

"Aight,"

 

She closed his door and headed into the bathroom, closing the door behind her.

 

During dinner, Michael stopped by after work to eat and check on them seeing how their days went. After sitting around talking for awhile with Damion about possible going out for the basketball team. Toya got herself ready for the next day. Once her clothes were all ironed and ready and Damion had retreated to the back to do his homework.

 

Toya and Michael stood outside near his car chatting before he made it his business to head home.

 

"So, you going to tell me about Angie?" Toya asked  leaning up against his car with her arms folded.

 

Michael laughed running his hand over the top of his hair," Me and Angie go way back, we use date in high school. Almost all of high school. Then you know Pops got sick and I had a lot of shit on my shoulders and we just drifted apart."

 

"So no ending on bad terms?"

 

"Oh naw, we just let it die out I guess you can say. No hard feelings or nothing. She was real cool, we had a good time together." Michael glancing over across to the street in the direction of her apartment with a smile on his face.

 

Toya couldn't help, but smile along with him. He had a sparkle in his eyes as the mention of her name, but Toya didn't comment on it.

 

"She seems cool. She always speaks in the morning when we head out. She said family of yours is a friend of hers."

 

He grinned even more," Yeah she always looked out for me and anyone concerning. She will definitely keep a look out for you if you ever need anything, but anyways anything else happen at work besides dealing with those broads."

 

"Well actually now that you mention it, I ran into this guy...like twice."

 

Michael raised his eyebrow and Toya waved her hand in disapprove, "No, no not like that. I actually ran into his brother I think he was one day when I was out running and he had a little smart mouth and he was in the store today as well being a smart ass again."

 

Michael chuckled as he patted her shoulder," Yeah got plenty of them around here, so be prepared for that. What he looked like?"

 

"White as hell. Shaved head, I think he had some arm tattoos couple of stars on one."

 

Michael listened as she went on to describe some of the tattoos she noticed, but when she mentioned the name of the tattoo along the guys neck. Michael stopped her mid-sentence.

 

"Whoa, I know who you are talking about and Word of advice cuz, don't mouth off to that one."

 

Now it was Toya's turn to be curious," Why?"

 

" his name is Justin and the one you ran into is his little brother Charlie. I go way back with them too, but he isn't just your regular guy. He don't bother nobody that doesn't bother him. Just be careful with your mouth on that one."

 

Toya rolled her eyes," Michael please, I know better than go mouthing off to people I don't know. Still doesn't take away from the fact he still a jack-ass."

 

He laughed lighting up the mood as he threw an arm around her shoulder," Naw, he's not that bad he is actually good people when you get to know him."

 

She scoffed," Don't plan on it."

 

---

 

 

"Meet us at the warehouse, on 18th street. We got a shipment coming in."  Charlie giving orders to Oscar as Justin steered the truck through the streets of city. They had a shipment of metal coming in that he had to run up to Korea town. He wanted to get there before sundown and around rush hour traffic that way they could blend in with the sea of cars rushing to get home.

 

He hated traffic like a mother though. He knew they were going to at least spend two hours in it and that was just one way. But he had to do what they had to it to keep a low profile. He thought maybe he would send Oscar and Charlie out on the run while he got some business done in the area.

 

He glanced over to Charlie just as he ended the call," Look I'm going to send you and Oscar out to the drop off the shipment. I got to make a few stops through town. Pick up some money, some are running a little late on their deposits. "

 

Charlie ran his fingers over his facial hair," You take Oscar with you and I'll take Ricky with me."

 

Justin thought for a moment, before nodding his head in agreement. They arrived out the warehouse driving inside while the garage door closed behind them. Justin hopped out the truck just as the doors reopened again as a deliver van pulled up behind him. Oscar came from the side office as they made their way over to the back of the van waiting for the delivery men to open up the doors. Inside the van were five wooden boxes.

 

Justin nodded to the other men as they stood around behind him to unload the van. They worked quickly not hesitating at Justin's commands, he didn't have to bark orders with any of them. They had respect for him a lot of them had been working for him for years and they had seen the good side, the bad side and evil side of Justin from time to time  and it was enough to keep them reminded to stay on his good side.

 

Once the boxes were unloaded they bribed open the crates  pulling back some of the stacks of straws to reveal their shipment of guns also known as their metal that was ran from Arizona and they were carrying to Korea Town to sell off. Justin stepped up standing over one crate, reaching for a gun to inspect as he unloaded and reloaded.

 

"Look good." He spoke nodding as he placed the gun back in its place towards the delivery men and motioned for his guys to get a hold of and loaded them up into one of their vans quickly. Justin turned around to Oscar," Charlie and Rickey going to drop this off and me and you are going to head out and make some collections."

 

"Alright man, I'll get the car from round back."

 

Justin nodded watching as Oscar jogged off and he strolled over to Charlie as he was help prepare the van," Call me soon as you get there and drop off."

 

Charlie nodded Justin reached out squeezing the back of his neck firmly and patted his back. Oscar pulled up outside the warehouse doors in a all black Camaro and Justin walked off meeting him at the curb, hopping in and they pulled off heading east.

 

As they drove Oscar steered through traffic nodding his head to the music that played on the road as Justin went through his phone going through his e-mails. Oscar phone rung and he pulled it from his pocket and placed it on his ear.

 

"What's up? Working...Yeah what's up?....What time you getting off? Damn for real what home girl?"

 

Justin chuckled quietly to himself as he listened to Oscar conversation with his girl, Angie. He could deny it all he wanted, but he was sprung off that girl and the times Justin had met her and he could see why. She didn't take no shit and she had a good head on his shoulder, how she ended up with Oscar he never knew, but she kept him in line for the most part and out of trouble.

 

"Toya? Toya from Crenshaw?"

 

Justin ears perked up," Oh you skip out on me for random broad across ..aight then. Naw it's cool just hit me later. Naw I ain't trippin' just make sure you hit me up . Aight bye."

 

Oscar tossed his phone into change holder in frustration, Justin smirked a bit as he continued to go through his phone," Trouble in paradise? "

 

Oscar glanced over and rolled his eyes leaning back into his seat," Naw, man. we was suppose to be kickin it tonight, but she chillin over some new chic house that moved across the street and shit. friend of the family or something. So fuck it"

 

"Oh man chill, you can survive getting some pussy for the night."

 

Oscar just grunted as he accelerated a bit more.

 

They soon arrived at in a neighborhood that was slightly starting to get run down. They pulled up to a brown house with unkempt dead grass, a broken steel fence and a couple of snot nose kids running around in the yard. They pulled behind a dented black old school Buick.

 

Justin got out and leaned against the chair while Oscar made his way towards the house, while the kids ran back chasing each other. Justin watched as Oscar knocked on the door as he pulled a black and mild from his pocket and lit it up.

 

A woman answered the door dressed in a pair shorts that appeared entirely too small for her with a shirt equal just as small struggling to contain her oversized breasts. Justin shook his head as he took a drag of his cigar as she nodded at Oscar and disappeared in side to soon be replaced a tall black male with a dingy wife beater and basketball shorts. He glanced at Oscar and looked over his shoulder to Justin.

 

"What's up Antwan." Justin called out. The man nodded before disappearing shortly inside and back out making his way over to the car with a brown paper bag in his hand. As he approached Justin he held out the bag,

 

"I'm sorry man, I know I'm late. Been caught up with the kids and the crazy ass baby mamas. you know how that go."

 

Justin opened the bag fingering through the money," No I don't."

 

The man swallowed at the chill of Justin's tone. He watched as he handed the money over to Oscar to count. Justin turned his attention back to him as he shuffled back and forth out of nervousness. They stood there in silence, Justin looked at Antwan with a blank stare and Antwan shifted his eyes under the cold glare.

 

Oscar finally finished counting the money and gave a shake of his head.

 

"How much?"

 

"$400."

 

"See what happen was, I had to pay some of my child support so I didn't go to jail--"

 

Justin raised his hand to silence with a sigh," I don't want to do this in front of your kids."

 

Antwan ran a hand over his matted dreadlocks as he groaned heavily before turning around," Aye aye, y'all go inside with ya mama!!"

 

The kids began to whine and beg to stay outside," Now! Tisha! TISHA! Come get the damn kids. Man yall go inside now."

 

The girl suddenly emerged from the house and began to ring in all the kids and ushered them inside quickly as she looked on to her boyfriend and he waved her off. Once the door was closed, Antwan slowly turned around.

 

Justin pushed himself off the car and flicking his cigar off to the side," It's one thing to be late with my money."

 

Without much warning Justin swung a punch, connecting directly with Antwan jawline sending him  crumpling to the ground with thud on the concrete.

 

A swift kick to his rib cage," It's another to take my money and spend it."

 

Justin looked up nodding towards Oscar as he stepped away allowing Oscar to finish his job giving Antwan a severe ass whopping. Before all was done, Antwan laid on the ground coughing and spitting blood with a badly swollen face .

 

Justin kneeled over him surveying his face," Next time, have my money on time and extra in the bag or I will send you out in a body bag."

 

 

 

 

---

 

Popping the bottles of two beers, Toya made her way out of the kitchen and walked over to the couch to awaiting Angie as she polished off her third beer. She handed her new bottle before sitting  down on the couch beside her on the opposite end leaning against the arm.

 

"So like I was saying, Tiwanna oldest son use to be trappin' around here and he end up getting killed and she never quite got over. So she has been very bitter ever since then, but she means well." Angie shrugged her shoulders.

 

"I get it." Toya nodded taking a swig of her beer.

 

Angie nodded scratching her head  while leaning back on the opposite end," Now that Porsche that is a little viper ass girl, if I didn't know one, but can't blame her much both her parents been in and out of prison. Her dad was a small time dope dealer back in the day and couldn't keep himself from underage girls and her mother is a bull dagger. "

 

"A what?"

 

Angie chuckled," Sorry old school term, but she is a hardcore dyke and a pimp. So she grew up between a rock and hard place. So she grew up chew steel. Pretty much takes care of herself ever since the age of 15. Poor girl had to grow up fast."

 

Toya knew the feeling, but she just nodded her head.

 

“And now Lydia and Michelle don't let them hussies fool you, they trifling as they come and don't bring a man around. You will be liable to catch a case."

 

Toya took another swig and shook her head as she listened to Angie give her a run-down of her employees she was in charge of. For the most part, everyone alright expect for the few bad apples, but it wasn't anything Toya thought she couldn't handle in the long run.

 

"Now the manager Matthew, girl he goes from kite to kite."

 

Toya ears perked up," What you mean?"

 

"He stay high and have for years, he learned how to hide it though. He gets personal delivers at work, but you didn't hear that from me. His wife will divorce his ass if she knew."

 

Toya smacked her lips and rolled her eyes. It hadn't been the first time nor the last time she had to deal with management that was into some type of drugs

 

 

 

 

She stood looking up the brown chipped paint shattered along the exterior of the house. She looked back behind her at the dead grass and sprouting weeds. She drew her attention back to the creak of the front door and the tapping of high heels and whom they belonged too.

 

She looked at the familiar woman, as she leaded frame of her door as she delicately held a slim lite cigarette in her between her bright red manicured fingers, matching the color of her lips against her smooth dark brown skin. Toya's eyes scanned the top of her black locks, down to the form fitting yellow off the shoulder blouse and to the black pencil skirt and matching high heel pumps.

 

She remained Toya much of that one woman in the movies, her mother use to watch Dorothy Dandridge, but a darker version.

 

She didn't know much a her aunt Margaret, but she knew she was no ugly woman that deserved to outcast from the family, but from the twinkle in her eyes towards Toya, it gave her a unnerving feeling in the depths of her stomach. It drove her be nauseated. She clinched stomach and gripped her brother's hand tightly as he did the same.

 

"You both going just stand there or come over here so I can get a good look at you?" She chuckled taking a drag of her cigarette.

 

They both approached the steps slowly and carefully as she meet them half way. She first knelt down in front of Damion, running her hand along the side of his face," Handsome like your father. Got your mothers nose though."

 

She smiled at him tapping his nose then she stood up looking over at Toya before aligning herself with her. She looked slowly over Toya before finally resting her face. She took another drag of her cigarette and blowing off into the air and crossing one arm along her stomach and holding the elbow of the other in her hand.

 

"Yes, you are your mother's child." with a hint distasted in her mouth.

 

She looked Toya square in the eye while dragging another from her Virginia Slim and releasing it into the air again with a devious smile that danced across her lips,"  I got big plans for you baby girl"

 

Toya stood in the kitchen trying to steady her hand enough to pour her a glass of vodka. It was 2am and she needed something to help her get back to sleep and stay sleep. She needed help chasing her dreams away. Something she probably should have been on pills for a long time ago, but she refused.

 

The bottle clinked against the cup lightly as she quickly pour less than half a glass. She downed it like a shot, hissing as it burned her throat. She poured another before placing the bottle back in the pantry. She grabbed her glass and made her way to the front door opening it carefully and closing it behind. She sat down in the chair Damion placed by the door one night as he was talking with Michael.

 

It was a nice night, the air was just warm enough to take the edge off the cool breeze. It felt good against her sweat. She took another swig of her drink as she crossed her legs listening to the quiet of the night. She sat for a while trying to gather her thoughts and calm her nerves that was until she heard the thumping of car off in the distance that got closer by the second.

 

A black SUV pulled up in the entrance with dark tint raddling heavily from the music it played inside. The window behind her raddled right along with it, the car parked in front of the other complex building from her. She watched as she sat in the shadow as three of the four doors popped open.

 

She could see them clear as day thankful from the street light that stood a few feet away. She recognized Angie climbing out of the passenger seat, tugging at the hem of her short dress  before closing the door and walking around to the front the car and stepping up onto the sidewalk. The driver stepped out sporting a pair of baggy jeans and a simple black t-shirt and white baseball cap twisted backwards.

 

Toya watched as the man stepped up on the curb in front of the car with the headlights still on like a spotlight on him and Angie. The backseat passenger sported a similar outfit, but with a white shirt and black jeans and no hat. As he turned to shut the passenger door, Toya caught a side glimpse of him and he looked strikingly familiar.

 

He stood and stretched his body looking around the complex casually. Toya remained still as she watched him getting a full frontal of his face. He was the guy she ran into at the corner store. The little brother of that jackass. Charlie was the name, if she could remember correctly. He stopped his surveillance and turned his attention back towards Angie and her guy friend.

 

They were fully engaged in a lip lock with a hand full of her ass that his grip threaten to pull from under her already dangerously short dress. They whispered something to one another and Angie turned grabbing his hand and pulling him towards her door.

 

"Give me a minute man." The guy called out towards Charlie and he just shook his head in response pulling out a pack of cigarettes out of his front pocket.

 

They quickly disappeared inside of Angie's place leaving Charlie outside. He reached in through the passenger door and turned off the car and sat in the door smoking his cigarette while flipping through his phone. Toya felt bad for him, being left outside while his friend got laid.

 

Toya stood up from her chair and went inside to the kitchen grabbing another glass and pouring some vodka in it and made her way back outside. She didn't know why, but she felt maybe she could offer him a drink while he waited and she couldn't go back to sleep. The last she could do after nearly running him over.

 

She stepped off the sidewalk and made her way across the parking. Half way there Charlie looked up noticing her making her way towards," I thought you could use a drink." She held up the glass.

 

Charlie at the young woman's face as her had a head full of curls and wearing a white tank top and a pair of gray sweats and a pair of black adidas sandals. He pushed himself up from his sitting position as she stepped more into the light and he recognized her as the woman that ran him over running.

 

He looked her over and then the glass she held. She gave him a reassuring smile," Hi, I'm Toya."

 

He blinked a few times as he took a drag of his cigarette and nodded taking the waiting glass from her hand," Thanks I'm Charlie."

 

He looked at the glass and took a sniff then grinned taking a sip while looking at her. She took a sip of her own glass and nodded towards Angie's door,' can’t believe they left you out here."

 

Charlie glanced over at the door and shrug his shoulders," It's cool we've all done it before once or twice. I might end up riding out and coming back to get him the way those fuckers go at it."

 

"Really?" Toya inquired.

 

Charlie looked at her with a smirk," Yeah he hooked on that shit."

 

Moans could be heard from the other side of the apartment door. They both turned and stared at the door then glanced at each other snickering.

 

Toya adjusted her hair on her head and sipped her drink," Well, I definitely wouldn't be waiting on them to finish anytime soon."

 

Charlie nodded tossing his drink back and handing the glass back over," I'm witcha when you right."

 

She took it and stacked it with hers," So you are Michael's cousin right?"

 

She raised an eyebrow," How did you know that?"

 

He smirked stuffing his hands into his front pockets and leaning back against the car," Let's just say it's my job to know and I'll take that as a yes and besides it’s not hard to recognize a new face."

 

"I get that, but how do you know that’s he is MY cousin."

 

"Like I said."

 

Toya smacked her lips and rolled her eyes," Okay, well yes that is my cousin."

 

Charlie chuckled at her reaction," Michael's cool people."

“And you are…Ja-.”

“Justin’s brother, yeah.”

“You guys got quite the reputation.”

He grinned tilting his head to the side and brushed back his long blonde hair back,” Oh yeah? What kind of reputation?”

She shrugged swirling her melting ice around in her cup,” The kind I’m guessing would cause people to walk on egg shells around you.”

He shook his head,” We aren’t that bad, but we are business men and when it comes to that. It is just that business. The only people that should walk on egg shells are the ones that get in our way. But you don’t have to worry.”

“What makes you think I was?”

It was time for Charlie to raise his eyebrow at her. He looked her over as she stood with one hip poked out and her arms crossed underneath her chest, swirling her cup around. She was definitely not intimated by the rumors or whatever she hard.

Just as he was about to response his cell phone rung. He fished it out of his pocket and answered,” Yeah?”

His eyes watched Toya as she sipped casually on her drink, turning her attention to the direction from which she came,” Nah, I’m with Oscar, Angie’s I’m stranded. Alright I’m outside. Aight see ya.”

He ended the call drawing back Toya’s attention.

“Got a ride out?” She inquired.

“Yea, brothers down the street.”

She nodded taking it as her cue to high tail it back into the house before she could cross paths with the smart ass,” Well, I’m going to head back inside. It was nice meeting and all.”

“He really isn’t that bad. He is a pretty cool guy and I’m not saying that because he is my brother either. Just bad timing on meeting he can be hard to handle with lack of sleep. ” Charlie knew she was trying to make a quick exit because she didn’t want to encounter his brother again.

She gave him a tight lip smile,” And so am I and with a buzz too. I can’t be held accountable for what I may say.”

Charlie laughed nodding understanding as she turned on her heel to walk away. A black SUV came wheeling in through the complex causing her to stop before she started walking across the parking lot. The car came to crawl in front of her, the passenger window rolling down and there he was.

Justin.

He held her glaze before checking over her body. Charlie watched their wordless interaction and he couldn’t help, but smirk. It was just what he thought.

Toya finally broke the gaze and turned to the side looking at Charlie,” Nice to meet you again.”

“You too.” He nodded.

She turned back around glancing at Justin and made her way around the front of the car and across the parking lot towards her apartment door. Charlie climbed into the truck, slamming the door as they watched her disappear inside her home.

Justin stared for a few more seconds before looking at Charlie. Charlie snickered,” Cool chick. Michael’s cousin moved her from New York with her little brother. Parents died when they were young. She been legal guardian ever since she was 18. Angie gave me the run down. She assistant manager at the local grocery. Little brother senior at Inglewood High, possible basketball star if he can get on the team this late in the game.”

Justin nodded turning his car around in the parking lot and heading back out.

“And she knows about reputation, but I don’t think she knows the details, but she’s a smart one coming to the Bronx. I’m sure she can piece the shit together.”

Justin moved the car back onto the main street as he leaned back into his seat,” Oh Aight.”

“Why all of a sudden interest in her?”

“She runs the local grocery with Matt. I do personal deliveries remember, I need to know if she could possibly be a snitch.”

Charlie shook his head shifting in his seat,” Naw not that one, trust me.”

Justin eyed his little brother for a moment causing Charlie looked back over at him,” What?”

“How you figure that?”

Charlie rolled his eyes and smiled,” She offered me vodka.”

“Oh.”

“Plus I never seen you look at any other chick like the way you just did. Not even Destiny. Mark my words bro. You going to fall hard for that one.”

They both shared a look and Charlie laughed nodding,” Oh yeah real hard.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story