Author's Chapter Notes:
Just a littke something

 

 

Ringgg…

 

 

Damion rose from his chair after stuffing his books down into his backpack. He filed out of his history class along with his other classmates at the end of class. He moved down the crowded hallway until his reached his locker. He spun the lock in a sequence and then popped it open, swapping his books for his next set. He occasionally glanced around him watching as others did the same as some were headed to lunch and the others headed to another class.

 

He was heading to lunch, he threw his backpack over his shoulder and closed his locker. He made his way once more through the crowd heading in the direction of the cafeteria. He round the corner and out the double doors to the outside covered cross walk.

 

As he did, he spotted Kerri walking with a group of her friends ahead of him. He watched as she laughed jovially at whatever the conversation was. He couldn't help but crack a smile at her infectious laugh.

Kerri turned her head as tucked hair behind her ear. She caught a glimpse of Damion behind her,” I’ll catch up with you guys.”

She backed her way out of her circle of friends and called out Damion as he was digging in his pocket for his phone. He glanced up and smiled at her,” Ay, what’s up?”

She smiled holding her textbooks to her chest as she turned to walk in sync with him,” How are you doing? I haven’t seen you in a couple of days.”

“Ah, you know doing the school thing. How you been?” He asked holding the door as they walked through another set of double doors back inside to the other side of school.

“Had to do some tutoring classes with some people. Then had more new people come in. So I’ve been busy. Senior year is really kicking my butt.” She sighed for a moment, but went back to smiling again as she looked at him.

He nodded smiling down at her as they made their way into the noisy cafeteria and fell in line for food,” You definitely can handle it I’m sure about that.”

She bite down on the corner of his lip trying to contain her wild smile.

 

 “Thanks.” She replied sheepishly.

 

 They stood grinning at each other while the moved through the food line. The choices for the day were; BBQ chicken, rice and beans, seasoned potatoes, corn and bread. Then add on the salad bar that stood alone, along with ready-made sandwiches and fresh fruit. Damion opted for two bananas and two peanut butter sandwiches with a Gatorade.  Kerri choosing BBQ chicken and a small salad.

 

 

As they paid for their food, Damion followed beside Kerri until he headed in the opposite direction.

 

“Hey Damion, come just me at our table.”

 

Damion glanced over to her table with her friends and a couple of guys hanging around. He just smiled and shook his head,” Naw thanks though, I’m going to head to the gym throw the ball around. I’ll see you around though.”

He turned to make his way out of the cafeteria and down the hall as he placed his food down into bag and cracked open his Gatorade. He made it half way down the hall when he heard Kerri’s voice grab his attention. He turned around as she was jogging her way towards him with her food in to-go box,” Care if I join you?”

“Sure why not.”

They smiled at each other once again and began walking side by side in the direction of the gym.

--

 

“Oh God.” Toya groaned as she rattled four aspirin from the bottle and tossed it back into her purse. She popped them into her mouth and chugged down half her bottle of water.

 

She had a massive hangover.

 

She regretted the night before with much passion the moment she woke up. After a long shower and another hour laying down she looked better than she actually felt. She had to muster the energy to get ready for work and drive Damion to school. The whole ride was quiet, but Damion found much humor in his sister being hung over for the first time he ever known of.

 

 it was very much out of character for her, but he enjoyed it because that meant she would bagger him about school and friends especially girls.

 

Once she got to work, she spent the better half of the morning in the office going over paper work in the soft lit room, but she couldn't break the headache.

 

 She would have to just work through it and hopefully be able to stay hidden with much interruption. She took on the task of trying to organize paperwork and do schedules while Matthew worked the front of the store.

 

As she was setting up her Excel worksheet for the new schedule, the office phone rung causing her to jump, she glanced at the screen and yanked it from its holder, ”LeToya.”

 

“Hey, can you give Porsche a call, she’s thirty minutes late for her shift?”

“Got it.” She hung up.

 

She went through the phone directory and dialed Porsche’s cell, only for it to end up at the voice mail. She left no alternate number, so she called again then left a message.

 

” Hey Porsche, this is LeToya your assistant manager, was just calling to check up on you. You’re thirty minutes late for your shift.  I just wanted touch bases with you to see if you were alright. Give us a call back when you can 555-7878. Thanks bye.”

 

She hung up the phone and went back working the schedule, until her cellphone buzzed.  She lifted it out the slightly open drawer, seeing a text message was awaiting for her.

Mike: You alive, champ?

She grinned texting a reply back.

Barely. Head is about to explode and I thought it was a good idea to do a spreadsheet.

She sat it down only for it to buzz again.

 

Mike: Genius. Heard you made quite an impression on the Timberlake brother’s. Jay to be more specific.

 

She scoffed.

 

I don’t know what you talking about. I came. I got pissed off. I drank. I got drunk and went home. Life was conquered last night. I’m done for the year.

 

She hadn't forgotten about Justin, even with a raging headache. She hadn't forgotten their conversation or his gentleman approach to make sure she had gotten home safely even though it wasn't him dropping her off. Even though it would have been more reassuring on his end if he saw her home.

 

He took in account that she was more comfortable with his younger brother and did was necessary in her best interest all around.

 

Angie was right, he wasn’t really all that bad.

 

She also remembered him placing his number into her phone and that he request that she text him when she got home and she would have if she hadn’t passed out on the way there, forcing Charlie to wait until her brother got home because he didn’t feel comfortable going through her purse to find her keys.

Timberlake’s were quite deceiving. They had a gentleman side under all that rough exterior, which was much unexpected.

She probably would through him a text later.

Her phone buzzed against the desk once more.

Mike: That you did. And Conquered a Timberlake, that’s a lot to be said. All this coming from Angie, who was given the horns by Justin for and I quote “face down and ass up in gravel while Toya was drinkin’ herself into a coma.” He was pissed. Never known him to give a shit nor raise hell over a woman. People are definitely talking.

 

 She frowned.

 

The last thing she wanted was people talking about her or linking her to the Timberlake’s. As Justin stated that night, being associated with him had its consequences. None which she could afford.

 

 

She decided against communicating with him.

--

 

 

Damion stood at the three point line and bounced the ball against the polish wood floors a couple of times because taking his stance and throwing the ball in the air allowing it to roll from fingers and into the net, effortlessly with a soft swish.

 

It stood there in the zone for a couple of minutes, from time to time doing jump shots never missing a shot. Kerri sat on the bleachers in amazement, jabbing at her lunch. He shot the ball as though it was another part of him. Like it was as easy as blinking.

 

 He jogged after the ball, grabbing it with one hand and tuck it underneath his arm before walking over to her. He gathered up a sweat around his temple and along his neck, but nothing serious. He sat down beside her, tucking the ball underneath his legs as he grabbed his drink.

 

“Wow, you are really good at that.” Kerri nudged him with her shoulder as he gulped down some of Gatorade. He glanced over to her and chuckled before speaking.

 

“Thanks.” He recapped his drink and sat a moment to cool off.

 

“Did you play school ball back home?” She inquired as she took a small bite of shredded carrot from her salad.

 

He nodded leaning back against the bleachers,” Yeah was on varsity my freshman year. Won every championship.”

“That’s awesome. You should definitely try out for the varsity. I think try outs are next week actually.”

She reached into her backpack pulling out her planner organizer and began to flip through the pages. Damion sat up and looked over her shoulder, as he did he caught her scent. She had a sweet vanilla scent. He glanced at her pink glossed lips as she bite down on her bottom lip flipping through her planner.

 

She probably tastes just as good as she smells.

 

 “Here it is, yeah starts next Monday. “

 

He pulled back and nodded grabbing the ball again and standing to his feet. He bounced the ball and spun it on his finger tip,” You play any sports?”

 

She closed her planner and shook her head,” No, I’m on the student government, assistant president of the debate time and dance team. That is about as much sports as I get.”

 

He wiggled his eyebrow impressed, but not surprised. She was definitely bright,” Let me show you something.”

She raised a brow,” Show me what?”

 

“How to shoot.”

 

She shook her head wrapping her arms around herself and leaned against her knees,” Naw, I’m okay.”

He rolled his eyes and reached down grabbing her arm gently and pulled her up onto her feet,” Come I’ll show you it’s easy. Piece of cake.”

 

She laughed sarcastically allowing her to drag her towards the middle of the court,” Says a 6 foot something, superstar since freshman year.”

He snickered and positioned her on the three point line and stood behind her holding the ball out in front of her,” Trust me.”

 

 She hesitated for a moment before grabbing the ball. Damion coached her through her stance standing beside her eyeing her and adjusting her a bit when needed. Then drew back and allowed her to shoot. She closed her eyes once she released the ball from her hands. Few seconds passed before she heard the swishing of the net and the ball hitting the ground.

“A natural.” Damion whistled.

 

Her eye darted from the net to him and back,” It went in?!”

He nodded laughing jogging to grab the ball,” Yeah nicely too. You would have known if you hadn’t shut your eyes woman.”

She jumped up in the air with a squeal, as she ran towards him and jumped on top of him in pure excitement. He stumbled back as he laughed heartily wrapping an arm around her small frame.

--

 

 Toya was standing at the register with a smile as she checked out a customer while Tiwanna took her first fifteen minute break. As she finished with her customer. She noticed Porsche come walking into the automatic doors with her sunglasses on her face and her large purse dangling from her arm.

She walked with an attitude in her step as she bee-lined it start to the back to clock-in. Toya groaned inwardly as she logged off the register as she motion to one of the girls that she could be right back.

As she made her way down an aisle Porsche was coming towards her, throwing her apron over her head roughly," Yeah I know I'm late." She barked a bit.

"Follow me to the office." Toya responded as she radioed Matthew to meet her there as well.

 She could hear Porsche click her tongue against the roof of her mouth as she turned to follow behind Toya. They made it to the office and Porsche threw herself in the seat in front of the desk, folding her arms and crossing her legs bouncing her foot impatiently. Toya sat down and they awaited Matthew appears.

He finally came into the door, closing it quietly behind him. He glanced at Toya and then at the annoyed Porsche," You are an hour late, what's going on Porsh?"

"I overslept." She replied glancing down at her feet.

 

Matthew and Toya exchanged looks.

Toya wasn't about to have this nonsense. She wasn't buying the excuse and a lame one it was. While she spent the better half of her morning going through paperwork. She noticed in the time-sheets that Porsche was notorious for being late. It started off as no longer than fifteen minutes, then the times continued to get longer until sometimes she was an hour and half late almost two hours.

Everything was documented, but she never signed anything of her disciplinary notes, nor was the stated disciplinary actions taken from what she could tell. She didn't know whether Matthew cared, or that he simply just didn't feel like going through the termination process. In this city, he probably didn't want to make enemies.

 “Well Porsche, I've noticed here in several pages of paperwork that you have a track record of coming in late, without no documentation, sometimes not even with a phone call. I'm just trying to figure is there something we can help you with, maybe change your hours around so that you can get here on time." Toya suggested.

 

 Porsche slowly lifted her glaze from her fascination with her shoes to Toya. She knew that it took all power in her not to throw Toya a death glare, but didn't stop her from rolling her eyes slightly.

 

 

 

"No, I'm fine. Like I said I overslept. It happens."

 

 

 

"Well, I just hope you know that we are going to have to write you up for this. It has been a bit too excessive for a long time and I also want to say that disciplinary action will follow after the second write up. Now, this is a verbal warning. I will have you sign this paper stating that this is exactly what has happen. You can chose to sign it or not, but if you do not it will be noted and signed by us. Let us know if we can help you work out a better plan as far as your schedule goes. We will do anything we can to help you."

 

 

 

Matthew agreed with a head nod. Toya fetched the write-up papers from the drawer and signed them heading it over for her to sign. Porsche snatched a pen from the desk, scrabbling her name. Matthew reached and signed his John Hancock as well.

 

 

 

"We done?" She asked clearly pissed off.

 

 

 

Toya nodded and motioned for the door. She stood up snatching her bag from the floor and stormed out of the off. Matthew glanced at the door and then turned around and looked at Toya," Safe to say she is pissed."

 

 

 

Toya shrugged her shoulder placing the paper into a file," I could care less. It has been going on for far too long. You can't expected to come in when you want and expect to have a job. Shit doesn't work like that."

 

 

 

Matthew nodded agreeing sitting down in the seat that Porsche occupied," Yeah, she does definitely live on her time."

 

 

 

Now it was time for Toya to roll her eyes," Well she needs to get her own business. If she wants to work her own hours that is. Another thing her attitude is something else that will get her in trouble as well."

 

 

 

"She's not that bad."

 

 

 

"I didn't say she was, but her actions say otherwise. This is a business even though its local grocery store. People come in to shop and try to enjoy it as much as one can. They are paying for food, not attitude."

 

 

 

Matthew looked at her and whistled as he ran his hand over the top of his slacks," I hear you there."

 

 

 

"Also another thing." As she fiddled with some more paper work. She waved at the space in between them.

 

 

 

"They are a representation of us as management. Their attitudes and shit reflect on us. If we have the director come in and she running two hours without much a phone call. We will be in here having our asses handed to us. I'm not letting no determine my life, but me. This should have been nip in the butt a long time ago."

 

 

 

"I guess I’ve been numb to the attitudes as long as they did cause no problems with customers. I've been okay." He confessed.

 

 

 

Toya shook her head dropping her handful of paper against the desk," This is why, from what I've seen and heard this place get robbed almost twice a month. You've grown numb to all of it. With much respect Matt, you seem like great honest guy you have got to put your foot down, its time to end all this crap. You start caring about your job and your employees they will in turn show you respect and if they don't it’s time for them to go. My name is on the door just like yours. No one is going to misrepresent me. If I have anything to say about it."

 

  --

 

Justin glanced down at his phone before tucking it back into his jacket pocket.

 

“You heard anything yet?”

 

Justin turned his head to see his little brother standing in the door way of his office. He didn’t respond, but went back to flipping through his papers. Charlie chuckled scratching through his beard as he walked further inside and took a seat on the small sofa adjacent to Justin’s desk and kicked his feet up on the office table.

 

“I could always go by there and check up on here. You know just a quick run through. “

 

Justin threw him a quick glance, but remained silent as he punched numbers into a calculator and copying down the number.

 

Charlie waited a moment before continuing,” I heard what you said to Angie, got carried away there bro?”

 

“Nothing she didn’t deserve...” He mumbled quietly and muttered something else underneath his breath.

 

Charlie shrugged his shoulder,” I guess you right, but since when do you offer my services to escort anyone home? Not that I didn’t mind, she was passed out the whole way. Had to wait till Michael and her little brother showed up before I could get her in the house.”

 

“That’s why and besides she more comfortable with you than she is with me.” Justin stated.

 

“Yeah maybe if you haven’t come off as a smart ass when you first met her man. Usually you are a little more subtle with that remarks.”

 

Justin looked up from his paper work, clearly not in the mood to have this conversation,” You needed something?”

 

Charlie shook his head as he folded his arms across his chest and stared up at the cracked ceiling,” I think she is a real cool chick, hot man.  You should definitely give it a go with that one. She has potential.”

Justin turned up his face,” Wait a minute, who asked you anything and since you want to talk about women. What’s up with them eyes you been giving Angie last night?”

“What?” Charlie dropped his feet from the coffee table and Justin smirked.

“Yeah, you know that’s Oscar’s girl. He will beat your ass over that one.”

Charlie rolling his eyes,” Please, we might have grown up together, but I know his weakness. Right in his crumbled knee.”

Justin dropped his head in a chuckle,” Oh alright.”

Running his fingers over his hair, Charlie shrugged,” She’s cool though. But I’m not trying to compete with nobody. “

“True.”

“Now that red hair Clarissa.” Charlie bites his fist in agony with a roll of his eyes.

Justin shook his head,” You know she’s not a natural red.”

Charlie dismissed him with a wave of his hand,” I don’t care about that!”

--

 Damion pushed through the front doors of the school at the end of the day. He stayed around to talk the coaches of the basketball team after Kerri mentioned his name to him.  He pulled his phone from pocket as it rang and pressed it to his ear.

“I’m in the parking lot.” Toya voice filter through the ear piece.

“Coming now.”

He hit the end button and walked out into the sun. As he looked around he noticed Kerri standing by her car in the parking lot talking with some guy Toya was a few parking spots away from her.

He made his way across the lot as, he glanced back over to notice, whatever conversation they were having it wasn’t a friendly. He had her blocked in with a black lifted Chevy with oversized rims and with a Spanish Decal on the back of it.

As he got closer, he could catch bits and pieces of the conversation.

“Chico, look would you just move your car? How many times do we have to go through this? I’m not interested, this is like harassment. Besides I—I’m talking to someone right now. My OWN age. “

The man was an easy 5’7 , with a bandana wrapped around his slick black hair pulled into a ponytail. He looked like one of the Hispanic straight out of the movie Next Friday. Damion chuckled to him, as he glanced over at Toya as she sat waiting in the car and held him his hand before turning the opposite direction and heading towards Kerri.

Toya watched from afar as her little brother moved towards the scene that she had been watching herself. The young teen was arguing with this much older man as he attempted to sweet talk her. He obviously was almost twice her age. And here he was talking to talk to this young girl who kept pointing out, in plain English that she wasn’t not even remotely interested.

Toya looked on as Damion walked up to them and threw his arm around the girl, pulling her into a tight side hug with a kiss on the forehead. Toya knew what he was doing trying to save her from the uncomfortable conversation. She smiled watching as the guy stood there for a few moments awkwardly before Damion offered a handshake.

The man just nodded his head and turned to get in his car and drove off.

Toya had to give it to him, he was a pretty good gentleman.

After waiting a few minutes, Damion headed back to the car once she was in hers and off. As he climbed in the car and buckled up. Toya threw the car in reverse glancing at him,” She okay?”

“Yeah, she straight.”

“Nice thing you did.”

He mumbled a thank you as he glanced out the window and then over to her with a grin,” You okay? You will real messed up last night.”

“Still got a headache, long day just ready to get home and get in the bed.”

“Yo, who was that dude that dropped you off?”

Toya thought for a minute until it came to her,” Oh his name is Charlie, one of Michael’s friends.”

“Yeah, what about the other one, his brother I think. He came by this morning as I was heading out to check-up on you.”

Toya frowned her face, shifting her eyes from him to the traffic in front of her.

“Dude with short cut, looks just like the other one.”

“I know who you talking about, like you said that’s his brother. Justin or whatever. What he say?”

Damion shrugged his shoulders,” Just that he wanted to make sure you was straight. He gave me a ride to school.”

She snapped her head to the side almost slamming on the break, but quickly realizing they were still in moving traffic.

You what?! You got in the car with him!? Damion have you lost your fucking mind?”

He threw his hands out,”Yo! What the fuck!”

“Watch your mouth! Why would you get in the car with a damn stranger! What is wrong with you?!”

“Man first, you was too f---freaking drunk, second dude offered cause Mike was running late for a meeting going the opposite direction. Mike said it was school man.”

She groaned out loud in frustration sending her headache roaring again, she snatched her phone from the center console and dialed up Michael’s number.

“Yo cuz what’s up?”

“Are you fucking insane Michael?!”

“Whoaaaa, what’s going on?”

She turned the car sharply into the parking lot of their apartment complex,” You let a complete stranger take Damion to school???”

Damion sighed,” Toya chill man, I’m not fucking five!”

She shot him a glare as she threw the car into park causing it to jerk hard,” Toya listen man, Jay is cool dude man he ain’t like that.”

They climbed out the car and she directed Damion to get the bags out of the car as she went to unlock the door,” I don’t care, I don’t know him. He doesn’t know him. Don’t do that shit Mike, cause I swear if anything—“

“Man LeToya! You think I would really let him ride off with someone—“

Toya flung her purse onto the couch and began to kick off her shoes as Damion sat the groceries on the counter shaking his head,” It doesn’t matter I am his guardian! He is my responsibility! I do not under any circumstance---“

Damion snatched the phone out of her hand,” Yo Michael its cool. She trippin’ we will holla at you later before she say anything she will regret.”

He ended the phone call and tossed the phone on the counter as he gave Toya a look that could start a fire if it wanted too. There was one other time she looked at him like that and that was when she went ham on Quinn for something she said to her and embarrassed him.

“Says the one who had to be drug in the house by a stranger because she was passed out. And I’m the one was lost their mind.”

She opened her mouth, but then closed it again. He scoffed and went back to unloading the groceries.

 

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story