"All I'm saying, love," I babbled as the elevator door shut. "Is that you can't be this upset over it. Jackson is three months old. He is going to grab at things. And if it happens to be the waitress's breasts then it's not our fault. She shouldn't have leaned over him."  

Her silence spoke volumes of her anger. I tickled Jackson's foot and the child giggled happily, reaching for me. Deven handed him off without a word. She picked the shopping bags off the floor as the elevator opened and stormed toward the flat. She raised an eyebrow at me when she found the door unlocked. I shrugged. 

"I was pretty sure I locked it," she said, pushing it open. She jumped ten feet in the air with a shriek when Niall walked out of the kitchen, his mouth and hand full of cheetos.  

"Jeez, Niall!" I yelled. "We gave you that key for emergencies!" 

"It was an emergency!" he yelled back around a mouthful. "I almost starved!" 

"Maybe because your parents told you to leave? Maybe for eating every half hour? Seriously, Niall!" 

Jackson reaches for him and he shoves the last few pieces in his mouth, wiping his dirty hand on the front of his shirt before taking the infant. Deven throws her hands up in exasperation and takes the bags to the room, shaking her head the whole way. "I think mum and da are going to have a loud talk," Niall comments to the baby. 

"Oh, shut up, Niall," I say angrily, following my girlfriend to talk to her. Closing the door behind me softly, I face her and see she's packing a bag of her things. Just hers, none of it being mine nor Jackson's. "Deven, what's happening?" 

She glares at me, her stare breaking only to zip the suitcase. "Everything is in the note in the bathroom. I'll call when I get to where I'm going and every day. I'll be back in a few days." 

She hurriedly descends the steps, exiting the place we call home. "Deven!" I call after her, the only response being a slamming door. 

"What happened, mate?" Niall inquires. 

"She left!" I scream my reply, motioning toward the door from three stairs up. 

Jackson begins to pout, Niall lifts him and goes into the fridge and warms a bottle for the child, for my son. "I got it, go get her or call her or something, mate," he tells me, waving me off.  

I call her friends out here, our friends, and get no clue as to where she could've gone. I think and remember her friends in LA, dialing two only to get the same results. I call, leaving concerned message after message on her voice mail and multiple texts, begging her to come back home, to no avail. I call Cassandrya and she actually picks up! "Cassandrya Kirkpatrick," she says. 

"Do you know where Deven could be going?" I frantically demand, pulling at my hair. 

"Whoa! Wait a minute. You need to back up to what makes you ask me that." 

"She packed a bag just for her bloody self and left, no explanation at all," I ramble. 

"I haven't heard from her since Jackson, not counting when I told her about the label's decision." 

"So you don't have any idea where she could be?" 

"Not even one," she insists. I hang up and remember the note she said she had left. I go to the bathroom and find it sitting on the back of the toliet.  

Harry, it reads, Please don't be upset with me. But I'm going to LA to make things right with Aaron. NOT in the way I know you're thinking! But I have to make amends for what I did. I love you so much and I promise I will be back in no more than two weeks. Jackson's usual schedule is on the fridge under the teddy bear magnet and I am going to call the second I land and everyday.  

I love you. 

Deven 

I let the note fall to the floor. Before I even realize what I'm doing, I am putting my fist through the wall. Plaster and drywall fall and my hand connects with the stud inside. I feel bones crack and I scream in pain. 

Louis runs in, my fist held near my chest to minimize the pain and takes a single look at me. "Let's get your bloody stupid self to the hospital," he says, Jackson making it sound different because of his hand grabbing his lip. "Your da is such a dim bloke sometimes." 

"Don't tell Jack that," I bark, following him. 

"Niall said Deven took off." 

"Yeah, to make amends with her ex." 

I hiss when I put my hand down, pulling it back up and holding it by the middle of my forearm to my chest. He stops buckling my son into his car seat for a few moments, resuming his actions without a word. "She told you about the dream?" 

I furrow my brows. "What dream?" 

"Blimey," he grumbles, shaking his head. 

"What?" 

"First time she rings you, ask her about the dream that made her go do this." 

"No, you tell me now."  

He scoops up the child seat, diaper bag and the keys, ushering me in the car. On the ride to the hospital he tells me about the conversation he and Deven had the night before. I was in tears before he was even done. 

"She'll be back, mate," he said as we got Jackson from the car. I wiped my eyes and held the baby in my good arm.  

"I hope you're right, Louis." 

"Why wouldn't she came back?"  

By now, my heart has dropped and I don't feel good about it and I have a bad feeling about her going to make it right between her and Aaron. Something just feels off, like it's not right and it may all go wrong if she's alone while she does this.  



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story