Harry bustled into the waiting room, a smile spread across his face.  

"Everyone," he said, offering out the blanket he carried. "I'd like you to meet my son, Jackson Alexander Styles. I'm a father!" We all jumped up and yelled happily. Zayn had disappeared long ago.  

"He's so cute," Cassie gasped, clutching onto my side. "I want one!" My guts tightened and I looked down at her with wide eyes. "Well obviously not this second!"  

"I hope so," I said with a tight jaw. I unwound her arms from me and stormed off. She was right at my heels. 

"Hey!" she called, running to catch up. "You wanna explain what that just was? Are you mad at me or something?" 

"You know and they all know I don't want kids right now!" I snapped. "Why'd you say something so stupid?" I thought her eyes were going to pop out of her skull they opened so wide.  

"Am I really so stupid for wanting to have a baby someday?" she asked. Her voice was tight, like she was going to burst out in tears any second. When I didn't answer, she began to walk away. 

"I guess we just want different things for our lives," she said over her shoulder. "Maybe we should just be done with."  She walked off. I let her go.  

"Good job, moron," I said to myself, leaning against the wall and putting my hands on the back of my head. 

I walk back to the waiting room and look confused, Louis fires back the same expression. "If you're looking for 'Drya, she's out there," he tells me, pointing towards the window and downward. 

"Thanks." I race outside, scolded by the hospital staff numerous times for running in the halls along the way, and spot her slumped over on the curb near the building. "Jaylyn," I softly say, approaching her. 

She lifts her head and wipes her eyes, sniffling. "I wasn't crying," she immediately defends.  

"It's better to cry than to hold it in." 

"What do you want?" she snaps, getting to her feet. 

I pull her into my arms and hold her close, her pushing me away doesn't really matter. "I'm sorry for reacting the way I did when you cooed over Deven's son." 

"You're such an asshole," she tells me, her voice muffled by my chest. 

"But I'm your asshole." That made her giggle. 

"Maybe one day we can try?" 

"Maybe one day about five or ten years from now we can revisit this discussion and decide then," I agree, keeping one arm around her shoulders and lead her back to the waiting room.  

She slugs me in my side, leaving a tender spot right in the middle of my ribs on the left. "For being an asshole and a whole ass." 

"Kids scare the ever-loving shit out of me; even Bri scares me." I rub my side with my free hand, reminding myself that she's always been strong and somewhat of a tomboy. 

"Bri is eight years old already!" she giggles. 

"Doesn't matter; kids still scare the fuck out of me." 

"Why, no, how the hell do kids scare you?" she asks, gripping her hair with her free hand and pulling me to a stop. 

"Tyler, Heather, Justin, Lance, Aaron, Nick and AJ to list a few examples." She rolled her eyes at me. I didn't know what I was going to do with her. "For now," I said, cupping her still damp cheek, "why don't we just forget all this, go back inside, and be there for Deven." She nodded and put her hand over mine. I moved my arm around her shoulder and led her back up to Deven's room.  



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story