Author's Chapter Notes:

Jazz and Sam meet for the first time.

Jazz also has no clue about Aaron's love life because she's been out of the loop for the past 6 months, but everyone around her knows about hers... And about JC and Sam. 

It’s been close to a year and a half since Jaylyn left, Aaron getting a girlfriend and losing her. I’ve been busy as a hummingbird with so many projects. I’m running errands downtown and I’ve bumped into this beautiful girl a few months earlier. She’s got three young children, has begun divorce proceedings, and Justin just gave me a challenge I had to take to prove him and the rest of my old group wrong. They bet I couldn’t go a week without talking to or being around her. The bet starts today and I’m spending the week at Justin’s. He took my cellphone, hid all the computers and tablets. He’s damn determined to make it nearly impossible to contact her. He locked my phone in his bedroom and left it plugged in, leaving the ringer on high. “Look, C, I know you’re absolutely crazy about her.” 

“There’s a but coming, I know it because I know you.” 

“But she has been at your side pretty much on a constant basis since you met, and if I remember this right, you told me that it doesn’t make for a healthy relationship because in order for it to be healthy, you need time and space from each other as well.” 

“I did say that when you were dating Britney, but you were also teenagers. Sam and I are adults.” 

“I’m using your advice against you.” 

“Justin, I know I haven’t known her that long, but I think I should let those walls down with her.” 

“How can you be sure she isn’t using you?” Justin points out. 

“She refuses to let me buy her anything and when I do get her something small, even if it’s just flowers, she feels guilty.” 

“She feels guilty?” 

“Yeah, she says she feels bad accepting it and thanks me for it.” 

“What about her kids?” 

“What about them?” 

“Have you met them?” 

“A couple times.” 

“For how long?” 
 

“A few minutes here and there.” 

“What are their names and ages?” 

“Mikal is 9, Aaliyah turns 7 next week, and in a couple months the youngest, Demitryus, will be 5.” 

“How many of each?” 

“Two boys and her little girl is a middle child.” 

 “Alright. When are their birthdays?” 

“Mikal is February 21, Aaliyah is July 9, and Demitryus is September 11.” 

“Favorite colors?” 

“Mikal’s is blue and green, Aaliyah is all girly colors, and Demitryus is red.” 

“Favorite shows or movies?” 

“Mikal’s are Mythbusters, Aaliyah is Monster High, Chubba is Power Rangers of any kind.” 

“Chubba?” 

“Demitryus.” 

“For not spending much time with them, you know an awful lot about them.” 

“She talks about them quite often.” 

He groans, his head dropping into his hands. My phone goes off and I instinctively check my pockets, recognizing the ringtone as the one she set for herself. “What are you looking for?” 

“My phone.” 

“I locked it in my room.” 

“Oh, yeah.” 

He sighs. “I knew you couldn’t do this on your own.” 

“She’s my weakness and my inspiration.” 

He half sighs and half growls at me, his eyes narrowing at me. He’s annoyed. “Then do something about that,” he concedes, pointing at the studio door. 

I go down into the studio and begin writing and recording. I can’t get her off my mind. I’m crazy about her. Justin comes down with his phone on speaker. “-can’t reach Josh and I’m getting worried.” 

He sucks in a breath as I do, covering my mouth so I don’t talk. “I’m sure he’s just in the studio and forgot his phone upstairs. You’ve heard or read stories about recording artists and calling the studio a dungeon,” Justin tells her. 

“He doesn’t ever ignore my phone calls or texts without responding some way. He’s even messaged me on Facebook! I’m honestly concerned. I just wanna know he’s okay! I don’t want anything bad to happen to him because he deserves everything good that happens in his life. I’ll just call or text him every day to let him that I hope he’s alright and that I care about him.” 

“Then go ahead and do that. I think he’d like to come out of his personal dungeon and see all those messages from you, making him happy with that dopey grin he gets when it comes to you.” 

I hear her sigh. I shove Justin’s hand off my mouth and motion that I will remain quiet. “If you see or get in touch with him, let him know that I hope he’s alright and safe. Please ask him to get in touch with me when he gets a chance.” 

“Of course I will, Sam. He told me that he cares about you, too. I’m sure he’s fine, though.” 

“I’ll feel better when I hear from him.” 

“I’m sure. By the way, how are the kids? I’m sure JC would like to know if I get in touch with him first.” 

She begins rambling about the kids’ recent achievements and I smile, beaming with pride about each of them. “-to hear from him soon. Thanks, Justin.” 

“You’re welcome. I’ll get in touch with you tomorrow, no matter what.” 

“Okay. Yeah, talk to you tomorrow. Please, just check on him tomorrow for me?” 

“I will. Good night, Sam.” 

“Yeah, night.” 

She sounded completely defeated; worried as well. “She sounded genuinely concerned.” 

“I told you she would.” 

I cross my arms, leaning back in my chair. “I kinda feel bad for having you do this now.” 

“We have been seeing each other for a few months now.” 

“Yeah, I know. Something like four months now.” 

“I don’t see why she’s into like she is and why you’re the same way with her.” 

I shrug. “There’s just something that brings us together.” 

“What the fuck does that mean?” he sneers. 

“She said something about astrology and Chinese zodiacs and elemental and natural attraction all drawing us to each other, something about how our energies feed into one another and replenish each other.” 

“Yeah, that can be dangerous. What will your sister and Cassie think of her?” 

 

 

Ch 21 

It’s been nearly a week since Oshai has been back at home and he outright demanded I come over to meet someone. Justin said a few weeks ago about my brother seeing this new chick, someone he’s head over heels with since Cassie and I think it might be a good thing. James and Chris have said she’s nice, but they did say she has kids. I didn’t think that he’d go for a woman with children, but he is with one. Oshai has had a happy tone in his voice since March and it’s now September 15, 2012. He said that I should expect a ton of people. They’re having a party for some reason. I pull up and see ten or fifteen cars in and around his front driveway, easily able to recognize who owns which one. All the guys are here. It could be a good thing and a bad thing, but I’m going to guess that it’s the previous. Oshai taps on my window and I climb out, embracing him cautiously. “What the hell is this?” 

“My girlfriend’s son’s birthday party. It’s not fancy or anything because she set it up without my help. It’s not extravagant, but it is nice.” 

“What is she like?” 

“Independent, stubborn, but she’s also very reserved around new people. Be nice. Please, please, please, just be nice?” 

I roll my eyes and sigh. “Just for the fact that it’s a kid’s party and that you begged me.” 

“Plus, everyone we know is here.” 

“Shit!” 

 

We walk through the side gate and I see this woman buzzing around, making sure that everyone is all set. Red-brown hair, still has some pregnancy weight, about five feet tall, and being as social as possible. “That woman darting around and making sure everyone is okay, that’s Sam.” 

“She has the same name as me?” 

“Yeah, that part was a fluke. But, she’s younger than you. She the two boys with mohawks?” 

“The blondies?” 

“Yeah, and the girl with pin straight blonde hair?” 

“Yeah?” 

He points her out, playing tag with Brihana, Baylee and the two boys he’d mentioned earlier. “They’re her kids. Mikal, Aaliyah, and Demitryus. It’s the smallest one’s birthday, Demitryus.” 

“Maybe she’s nice.” 

“She’s amazing.” 

“Bring me to her,” I command him. 

He walks me over, quickly hugging her and sharing a quick PG smooch. “Baby, you remember me telling you about my adopted sister, Sam AKA Jazzy?” 

“Yes. Hi. Could you be the best boyfriend and keep an eye on the kids for a few minutes? I would like to get to know her by myself.” 

“Of course.” 

Justin passes behind Oshai. “What Baby wants…” 

“I swear, if this wasn’t her son’s party, I would beat the fuck out of you.” 

She kicks Justin in the knee and he drops, her hand grabbing his hair and forcing him to look in her face. “Knock the fucking shit off; this is a kid’s party and I will wait till they are in bed before I beat your ass. Teigh trasna ort fein, asshole.” 

“I like her,” I whisper to my brother. 

“What did you say?” she politely asks, considering she just verbally tore Justin another asshole. 

“I told him that I like you; you don’t take Justin’s bullshit.” 

“Thank you, Jazz.” She shoves Justin away and looks at my brother. “Are you sure, Josh?” 

She doesn’t call him JC? Wonder why. “Yes, go talk to my sister alone.” 

“We’ll be in the studio.” 

“That’s fine, mami.” They share another short peck and off we go. 

 

“Studio, studio, studio,” she mutters to herself and I giggle. “Do you know where that is?” 

“Follow me.” I guide her down to it, lead her in and turn on the recording light. 

“Josh has told me so much about you and has shown me who knows how many pictures and videos of you.” 

“He’s told me quite a bit about you as well.” 

“Oh, no,” she teases, “more good than bad, I hope.” 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story