I was sure Deven's screams were echoing on other floors of the hospital. She gripped the bed rails and forced herself to breathe evenly.  

"I swear to all that is holy, Harry," she said through clenched teeth, "if you ever think about touching me again after this I will chop it off!" I heard Dr. Chu snicker and clear her throat to hide it.  

"Alright, Deven," she said, taking her place at her feet. "When you feel another contraction I need you to push. And don't stop until the contraction does. Can you do that?" Deven nodded bravely, sweat beading her brow already. 

 

A couple hours later and the lack of feeling in my hand from her squeezing as hard as she had, we finally have our baby!  

"It's a boy!" Dr. Chu announces over the cries, holding him up so Deven and I can see. She heaves a sigh and giggles. I don't know if it's from finally seeing our son or from relief of it finally being over. I kiss her sweat soaked forehead and pushed the damp curls off her face.  

"You did it, love," I said into her ear. "You did it." A nurse handed our newly clean baby boy to Deven, swaddled in a small blue blanket.  

"Oh," Deven cooed, her eyes brimming with tears.  "So you're the one that's been kicking me." He looked up at her.  

"He has your eyes," I said, trailing a finger gently down his smooth cheek. She nodded in agreement. 

"But your hair already." She plucked at a curl and watched it spring back into shape. "How can you love someone you just met so much?" She kissed him and then me.  



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story