December 9, 2017

8:00pm

 Blue Jay Motel

5399 West Main Street, Salem, VA 24153

With city traffic, we made it to Virginia in about eight hours.  I glance back in the rearview mirror, smiling slightly when I find Justin is still passed out in the backseat.  I had to pull into a rest stop about an hour outside the city because the baby was crying.  Justin wouldn’t wake up, and I could only guess it was because he was so exhausted from everything Hannah had been putting him through.  I decided to let him sleep, and took charge of the situation, taking Mackayla out of her box and into the convenience store, brim of my ball cap pulled low over my eyes as I purchased some diapers and wipes so I could change the baby in the restroom.  The cashier seemed none the wiser that I was holding Hannah Monroe’s baby in my arms as I made the purchase, and I was thankful, but knew my luck wasn’t going to last much longer.  

Thankfully, I had been schooled in changing diapers while babysitting my sisters kids, so I was in and out of there within five minutes.  I didn’t look for soy formula, there simply wasn’t enough time, but I knew she would have to eat again very soon.


That time has come.  Mackayla is crying again, and while Justin is obviously still exhausted, I know he has to wake up, because she's long overdue for another bottle.  “Justin.”  I tap him gently, and when that doesn’t work, I shake him a little roughly.  “Justin, come on, the baby is crying.”

“Hm.”  His eyes drift open, and he allows them to focus on me for several moments before his sleepy smile appears.  “Hey, Mags.”  He turns slightly, and peers into the box where his daughter is now wailing.  “Aw, sweetheart.  It’s okay.  Daddy’s here.”  He reaches in and lifts her into his arms, rubbing his hand across her back in a circular motion.  

Mackayla calms slightly.

“I’ll have to remember to wake you up more often,” I chuckle.  “I changed her diaper earlier and she basically screamed the whole time.”

“We stopped?”  He seems shocked.  

“Yeah, about seven hours ago.  Mack was crying, she needed a diaper change.  I didn’t want to wake you.”

“Do you think anyone recognized you?”

“No.”  I reach down onto the passenger side floor and grab my purse.  “It’s a little early for that.  I didn’t look for soy formula though.  I didn’t want to get caught there with you alone in the car.  Once we check in, I’ll go to the store.”

“Where are we?”

“Virginia.  About twenty minutes off the interstate.  I circled around this place.  It’s pretty much a dump, but I figure it’s the last place they’ll look for us.”

He nods slightly.  

"Just wait here with her, and I’ll go pay for the room.  Make sure the doors are locked and don’t get out of the car for any reason.”  I nervously open the glove box, pulling out the Mag pistol I purchased just days ago, and hand it to him.  “For protection.”

He stares at it for a moment.

“Justin, take it.”

He does, silently, barely looking at it.

I get out of the car without another word to him, and walk up the cracked cement sidewalk and into the dingy motel office.  An overweight, greasy haired man sits on a stool in front of the black and white television, chewing on what looks to be day old pizza. I swallow back my disgust.

This is a long way from midtown luxury.

“I need a room.”  I walk up to the desk, adjusting my ball cap again.  “Just for the night.”

“Forty seven, darlin.”  He tosses a rusty key across the desk with a semi toothless grin.  “Check out’s at eleven.”

I dig through my purse, uncovering the first of many wads of bills I have with me, and fish out a fifty, not allowing him to see how much cash I actually have as I slide the bill across the counter.  He gives me some scratchy towels and the remote control for the television, and I thank him quickly before rushing out of there.  I get back to the car and Justin gets out, the baby in his arms, and I usher him through the door, closing it quickly behind us.  


The room is small, poorly lit, and has the lingering smell of bleach mixed with plumeria air freshener.  Two twin beds rest on one side of the room.  The tv, complete with foil wrapped antennas sits on the opposite side, next to a three drawer dresser.  A rickety wooden door opens to a small, semi filthy bathroom.


Thank God it’s only for the night.


Mackayla’s cries only grow louder as I put the towels away and comb my hair back into a neat pony tail.  “I better get to the store.”


Justin sits down on the bed, rocking Mack in his arms, the concern riddling his expression.  “Are you sure it’s safe?”

“I don’t have a choice.  The baby is hungry.  She can’t go all night without a bottle.”  I walk over to him.  “Give me the gun."

He does it, like he’s glad to be rid of the thing, and I tuck it into the front of my pants, covering the handle with my shirt as best I can.

“Block the door off with the dresser.  I’ll knock three times when I’ve come back.  Look out the peephole anyway, all right?”

He leans in, and grabs my lips with his.  “Please be careful," he whispers.

“I…”I pull back and lick my lips, remembering his proposal to me in the car hours ago.  I can’t even think about that as a possibility right now, because we’re so far from everything we know, and we’re completely alone.  “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”  I leave the remote beside him on the bed, and head for the door.  He turns the television on before I can get outside, probably for comfort more than anything.

But I wish he hadn’t.

“I just don’t know what to do.  I—I kissed him goodbye this morning, and…and I talked to him during the day. Now he’s just gone, and my baby…Oh God…”

Hannah.

I whirl around and face the television.  The picture is blurry but it doesn’t matter.  It’s definitely her.

Flash to a photo of a devastatingly handsome Justin holding a newborn Mackayla in his arms.

“Justin Timberlake, one of the most esteemed lawyers in the New York legal world, is to be wed to Monroe later this month.  Their daughter, Mackayla Brianne Timberlake, has just turned five months old.  If you have any information on their whereabouts, please contact the NYPD…”

“Shit.”


I look back at Justin when he says it. “It was inevitable.”

“We feel that Justin and Mackayla are in immediate danger.” The police commissioner states as various flashes go off in his face.  

Then my face appears on the screen.  My mug shot, from when I was arrested for what happened to Tad.

“Miss Dawson is to be considered armed and dangerous.  She should not be approached by anyone other than law enforcement personnel. If you have information on her whereabouts, we encourage you to contact your local law enforcement or the NYPD.”

Cut back to Hannah, surrounded by press, the reporters shouting, begging her for one statement.

“Maggie, I just…I just want to say…” she sobs.  “Please don’t hurt my Mackayla, or Justin.  Please just let them come home safe.”

“She’s pinning this on you.”  Justin snaps, angrily.

Mackayla screams and cries.

“Did you really think she wouldn’t?  I’m sure right after she found out you were missing with the baby, she sent someone to my place.”

“If they catch us, they’ll arrest you,” he murmurs.  “You’ll be charged with kidnapping, Mags.”

“Yeah.”  I snatch my purse.  “They have to catch us first though, don’t they?”

He sighs a little.  “Yeah, they do.  But we’re not going to let them.”

“No, we aren’t.”  I shake my head, determined.  “Don’t let anyone in here. I don’t care who it is.  I’m going to the store.  We might have to leave when I get back.  I don’t know if that clerk in the office will realize who he just checked in.”

“Hurry.”

It’s the last thing I hear, before I walk back out into the night.

*****************

December 9, 2017

10:00pm

Walmart Super-center

1851 W Main St, Salem VA 24153

Thank God for Walmart.  We’re far enough south that there is a huge twenty four hour operation just a couple of miles from the motel, and despite the fact that I haven’t shopped here in years, I’ve never been more thankful for anything in my life.

I’ve gotten us enough clothes to last through the duration of the trip.  Four cases of soy formula, and some infant over the counter asthma medication that will have to replace Makayla's prescription when it runs out.  I’ve also decided to dress her as a boy from here on out.  She’s still young enough where a disguise will work nicely, and I’m praying that it will deter any suspicion as we make our way closer to the border.  I’ve gotten a few wigs and fake beards for Justin, as well as a hair dye and hair cutting kit for myself.  Of course I’ve stocked up on some quick non perishable snacks and plenty of water.

I think I’ve done well for us.

It’s getting out of here that I’m worried about.

I pick a floppy hat out of the apparel section, and some sunglasses, take the tags off and put them both on as I head up to the register.  I'm almost there.  Almost out.  Almost back to Justin and Mack.

"How you doing Nancy?"

The police officer puts a few items on the conveyor for the cashier to ring up for him.  He's standing right in front of me.  I'm next in line.  My heart stops.  I feel myself stop breathing for just moments, but force myself to snap out of it and remain calm.  We're in Virginia.  I tell myself that law enforcement out here in the sticks won't be scoping us out just yet.  I'm sure they don't think we've made it all the way here, that we're too stupid, that we're hiding just outside the city.  

He doesn't recognize you

I keep repeating it in my mind, over and over, as the officer continues to make small talk with the cashier.  He's laughing about some story she's telling him about her kids. Obviously, he's the usual night patrol officer.  

I'm completely silent, praying to God that I get out of here without being recognized.

"You hear Hannah Monroe's family has gone missing, Earl?" Nancy says to the officer with wide eyes.  "Unbelievable.  I'm praying for that baby.  I just love watching her in the mornings.  That sweet girl doesn't deserve this."

I want to hurl.

Hannah deserves everything, and then some.

"Yeah, we got an alert earlier about that," Earl tells her.  "Of course we're on the lookout, but I don't see why in hell they would be in Salem."

"That woman that took them is the devil.  She tried to kill her husband you know...got off on a technicality..."

I stand there, frozen in my spot as they continue to make small talk about my personal life.  If I could, I'd dump the cart and get the hell out of here, but I feel like that would arouse Earl's suspicions since I've been standing here for twenty minutes.

Shit, shit, shit.

I'm trapped.

I think about Justin.  About what he would have to do if I was suddenly arrested.  He wouldn't know, because I wouldn't be able to tell him, but I hope he would be smart enough to get himself to the border on his own.

I really don't know if he could do it alone though.  I have the car.  What would he do?

"Oh, I'm sorry ma'am."

Earl turns to me with a smile, apologizing for keeping me waiting while he was carrying on.

"No problem."  I flash him a simple smile and push my cart up to the conveyor.

"Kind of dark for sunglasses, ain't it?"  Earl narrows his eyes slightly.

He's suspicious but he's not sure what to be suspicious of, because he hasn't made me yet.

"Oh..."  I start loading my items up on the belt and quickly think of an excuse.  "I had that Lasik surgery a couple of days ago.  The light is still hurting my eyes." I say it in my best southern drawl.  "My gosh, I must look like some kind of fool."

"My sister had that surgery," Nancy carries on as she swipes my items across her scan pad.  "Couldn't see for a week straight.  I'm telling you Earl, I'll just keep my glasses.  Don't need my eyeballs fallin' out or some crazy hoopla."

Her comments distract Earl, and he begins to chuckle.  "Nancy you make my nights worth it.  I'll see you tomorrow night.  You uh...just be careful outside, ma'am."  He nods at me.

"Oh, thank you officer," I give him my most lady like smile.  "I'll walk slow."  

He leaves.  My heartbeat returns to normal, and I shove everything else in my cart onto the conveyor, my mind screaming at Nancy to scan my purchase faster than a snail, but my expression never giving my feelings away.

I pay for everything, and walk faster than I probably should out of the store, vowing not to come back.  We're leaving tonight.  We have to.  If an officer in the sticks already knows that we're on the run, there's no telling how soon it will be before Hannah's goons make it here, or the NYPD/FBI/whoever else she's gotten to do her bidding for her.

Once in the lot, I start putting everything in the trunk of my car, but can't help but feel that I'm being watched.  I glance back over my shoulder, and there, in the distance, is Earl.  I can't tell if he's watching me to make sure I get out of here okay, or for another reason.  I slow my movements, putting everything in the car casually, and get into the drivers seat as calmly as I can.  I start up the car.

His lights begin to flash.

Fuck.

I grip the steering wheel tightly, only then remembering the gun in my pants.

My god, would I really shoot a cop to protect Justin and Mack?

I would.  That's what scares me.

Earl slowly pulls his car up to my drivers side, and motions me to roll down my window.  I do it without hesitation, and smile over at him.  "I got out okay, officer."

He nods slightly, staring at me for another moment or two.  "I just can't help but think that I know you from somewhere."

"Me?" I giggle stupidly, while my heart races.  "You know, I get that a lot."

He chuckles.  "It's probably nothin'.  Maybe it's' just because I don't see many pretty ladies walking into our Walmart these days.  In the sticks, little things make my night."

I giggle again.  "Oh Earl, you're too much."

He smiles.  He's forgotten why he was suspicious.  "You get home safe, ma'am."

"Oh I will.  Maybe I'll see you tomorrow night?"

He nods.  "I'll look forward to it.  Night."

He drives off.  Once I'm certain he's out of site I yank off the floppy hat and sunglasses, pressing my face against the steering wheel, trying to calm my racing heart.  The tears come, mostly from stress, and I sob a little.  I know I can't be this way when I get back. All that will do is drive Justin into a panic, and he can't afford it at this point.  

I was so scared.  

But I was so calm.

I'm proud I guess, but I don't know how well I would hold myself together if this happened again.

Twenty minutes later I'm back at the motel.  I grab a can of formula and a few other things we'll need tonight, before I knock on the door three times.  A shirtless Justin eventually opens the door a crack, the chain lock separating us.

"What's wrong?"

He knows me too well

"Nothing just...let me in, quick." 

He does it, the fear in his eyes apparent.

"Mags?"

Mackayla is still screaming, so I quickly get to work, opening the formula and digging out the bottle and warmer from the small bag Justin brought with him to the office today.  "It's fine, just...let's get her fed, all right?"

"Something happened."  

I say nothing.

"Maggie."

I whirl around, bottle in one hand, formula can in the other.  "Justin, shut up okay!  I'm at my breaking point and I need you to back off!"

He stares at me, his expression turning from fear and worry to sadness in an instant.  He crosses his arms. "All right."  He sits down on the bed, and won't look at me, just at the muted television.

I feel horrible.

I prepare the formula in silence,and test it on my wrist before I pick Mack up into my arms and begin to feed her the bottle.  She screams for a bit, but eventually, she takes the bottle and quiets down.  I can't help but smile as I watch her.  Her eyes are Justin's eyes, and they bring me a small comfort. Once the bottle is finished, I sit on the second twin bed, cradling Mack in my arms, humming gently as she drifts off to sleep with a pacifier in her mouth.  I give her a light kiss on the forehead, and whisper that I love her in her tiny ear.  I'm not sure why.  I guess...I might be starting to care about her like she's my own. 

"She's beautiful when she sleeps."

Justin says it softly, and when I look over at him, he's gazing at Mack, not at me.  

"She is."  I stroke her hair and forehead softly.

"I've never really been able to watch her sleep before.  It's nice, you know?"

I place her down on the bed, gently, and turn back to him.  "I shouldn't have yelled at you."

"I don't blame you."

I go sit beside him, and soon enough, he takes my hand in his, and gives me a light kiss, waiting for me to tell him what happened at the store.

"There was a cop...at the Walmart.  He was talking to the cashier about us, and for a minute, I thought he was going to make me."  I look into his eyes, feeling the tears pushing from behind my own.  "I thought...I thought something was going to happen, and you would be stuck here alone.  I was scared...I was so scared, Justin."

"Hey."  He pulls me down into him, and wraps me in his arms.

I can't help it, I burst into tears.

"Shh, Mags.  It's fine.  You're here...it's okay."  He presses his lips to the top of my head.  "I'm sorry.  I should have been the one to go."

"No, I had to do it," I sob.  "They would have made you in a second." 

"I love you for doing this...hey...Mags," he pulls back slightly, and tilts my head up with his hand to meet his gaze.  "I love you for this.  You're sacrificing everything.  Your life was back to normal, and you were doing well.  You gave it up for us, and...I couldn't love you any more for that."

"I can't yell at you like that.  It's not helping things."

"I probably would have done the same, or worse.  You know me."  He laughs a little bit, and then his expression grows serious again.  "We're going to make it, Mags.  I know we are."

I nod a little.  After the episode with Earl, I have my doubts, but I can't...I can't think that way.  I have to be strong for him, for Mack, because it's keeping him strong for me.  "We can't stay here," I whisper.

"I know."

"It's seven hours to Tennessee."

He squeezes my hand.  "I'll drive."

"You don't..."

"Mags."  He smiles gently.  "I'll drive."

And I know I won't be able to talk him out of it.  Besides, I haven't slept...at all, so it might be the safer play.  

"C'mon, you need a shower."  He gets up and pulls me to my feet, leading me into the closet sized bathroom, where he starts running the water, and setting up a few towels and wash cloths for me.

Despite everything, he's still managing to take care of me.  

"I love you." I tell him, as he turns back from the tub.  

He smiles.  "Me too."  

He walks towards me, and pulls my shirt up over my head, kissing my neck as he removes my bra, and kisses my shoulders, my arms, my bare stomach.  He slides my pants and underwear off, and then takes off the rest of his clothes, and pulls me into the running shower with him.  We make love like that, underneath the hot spray of the shower, and I realize more than ever how much my body has longed for him.

How, with every passing day, I've missed him more and more.

After, he wraps me in a towel and helps me get my clothes back on once we're out in the main room again.  Mack is still sound asleep, and I breathe out a relieved sigh.

"You ready to go?"

He's serious again, and I know I have to be too.

"Yeah."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story