Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to review guys! It means so much! This may or may not be the end of Justin and Aria....

January 7th.

I don't wanna blow your phone up
I just wanna blow your mind
I don't have to take your heart
I just wanna take your time


I tap away at my computer, leaning back as I finish the email, glancing over it one last time. My hand instinctively runs through my now short, natural hair. As soon as I got back in town, I went to my stylist and cut off every inch of that fake, heavy ass hair. I like it. It's reminiscent of the old, young, free me. Tom doesn't like it, of course, but I don't care what he likes or doesn't like. He was part of the problem. I took care of that situation as well. When I get home today, he and all of his stuff should finally be out and I'll be able to start over completely. The very thing I was afraid of a few weeks ago.

My desk phone rings and I snatch it up quickly, "Yes Missy?"

She sighs, "Tom's here, again." She emphasizes, "What do you want me to do?"

I peer through my glass door, leaning a bit to see Tom standing just in front of Missy's desk. She turns around in her chair to face me, her blue eyes wide, "Send him in please." I say, dropping the phone back in its cradle.

I watch as she slumps her shoulders but twirls back around, stands and escorts him to the door. I stand, smoothing my hands down my pink cardigan and black pencil shirt and then tucking some of my free hair behind my ear. Missy holds open the door, allowing Tom access and then clicks in behind him, offering him a bottled water, "Don't forget, you have a meeting at two." She nods towards me then makes her swift exit.

"What's up Tom?" I ask, exhaling deeply as I lean in for the obligatory hug.

He hugs me back, before tucking his hands into the pockets of his Tom Ford suit. He's a great looking man, very Tom Brady-esque if you ask me. Tall, slim but muscular, impeccable bone structure and deep set, hazel eyes, "Can we talk?"

I lean back onto my desk, resting my weight on the edge, "About?"

"Us. Five years, down the drain, just like that?" He asks, cocking his head to the side a little.

I nod, "Yes. You don't love me, I don't love you. Why are we wasting each others time?"

"That's where you're wrong, I do love you. I haven't been the greatest man in the world, that I know, but I love you. I want to make it work." He grabs my hands, placing them to his lips and runs them over my chocolate skin, "I miss you baby."

I sigh again. I know what's best for both him and I but he's not making it easy on me. I want to believe him. Those puppy dog eyes are his best asset. I did say that I was going to try and make it work... but that was before Justin. Not that I'm secretly waiting for him to show up and whisk me away or anything. But he freed me from... me. I want to enjoy that freedom, "We had good times Aria. We can get back to that, I promise you."

"That was a long time ago Tom, maybe we can't get back to that."

"But we can. I've cut it off with Samantha, I fired her this morning. I've changed my number and blocked her email addresses. I'm ready to start fresh, with you."

I laugh a little, glancing around him, "You've cut if off with just Samantha? What about the other ones? How am I supposed to trust you? We both know that she wasn't the only one."

He slumps his shoulders, his hazel eyes bouncing back and forth between my dark ones, "I'm done with that, I swear." He grabs a strand of my hair and twirls it around his finger, "I'm starting to like this look."

I smile genuinely, standing up and hugging him again, "Tom, I think this is for the best. But thank you for the compliment."

He pulls away from the hug, grabbing my hands in his again, swinging them slightly, "I'm not done, baby. I'll win you back, you'll see." I laugh at his tenacity, crossing my hands over my chest and he walks towards the door, turning back towards me, "I've got to head to Miami for a few days, can I call you when I get back?"

I nod, "As a friend, yes, you can."

He leaves me with a toothy smile before he disappears down the hall. Missy rushes in behind him, iPad and manilla folders in hand, "You okay?"

I nod, smiling, as I push away from the desk, "I'm fine, thank you."

She nods and returns to business form, having me sign a few documents and alerting me to a few new clients that are coming on board that Paul wants me to personally handle. That's actually the next thing I need to handle. I follow Missy out onto the floor and hook a left, making my way toward Paul's large office just down the hall. I make my over to Jason, his receptionist and ask if he's available.

"In fact he is, you can go right on in Aria."

I mouth a thank you and push through the large door, smiling and waving a little at Paul as he finishes up his phone call, "Aria. To what do I owe the pleasure?" He asks, walking toward me and extending his hand.

I shake it lightly and swallow harshly,  here goes nothing, "Actually, I just need to speak with you for just a minute. It won't take long."

He motions toward one of the chairs in front of his glass desk and I take a seat, waiting for him to plop down in his large, rolling chair, "What's up?"

I tuck my hair behind my ear and take a breath, "I um, I wanna thank you for considering me as partner. That is a huge acknowledgment that I know you and your partners don't take very lightly. I just... I haven't been having a very easy time lately and I don't know if I can take on such a large investment like partner right now. I don't want to get into specifics really, but I'm thinking about taking some time so I can sort things out. You've invested so much time and effort into me and I truly appreciate everything you've done but, I just... I need a break for a while."

I don't make eye contact with him, I just stare down at my hands as the words fall from my lips. I slam my eyes shut and wait for him to throw me out of his office and the building but his voice surprises me, "You know, my wife and I just vacationed in Saint Barts. Have you ever been?"

I shake my head, "No."

"Hmm well, it's beautiful there. Lush, green trees, gorgeous blue water and the beaches are so white and clean that you'd think its fake quite honestly. One night, while my wife and I were walking along the beach, I looked over at her and couldn't help but notice at how much she had aged. It seemed like only yesterday she was the beautiful, young, raven haired knockout I met at my favorite coffee shop. And then I realized, my kids are in their thirties and forties, and I can't remember the last time I've seen one of them. I looked down at my hands and saw my grandfathers," He laughs, pulling his green eyes back to me, "Do you know why I'm telling you this?"

"I think so, yeah." I nod, biting my lip.

"I blinked and my life passed me by because I was so wrapped up in this," He throws his hands up in the air, "You have to live while you're young so you don't regret it when you're my age. I wish I had just went home and played football with my son or left early to see my daughter in one of her recitals. Those are things that you don't get back. My kids look at me like I'm a stranger but yet my colleagues, like you and Doug and Bobby, look at me like a father. Isn't that ironic?" He stands from his place behind his desk and walks around towards me, taking a seat right next to me, "How ever long it takes you, you'll have a home right here, with us, as partner."

I let out a breath, smiling at him in relief, "Thank you so much Mr. George."

"You've earned it, kid. Plus, I don't want another firm snatching you away from me."

We both stand, shaking hands again, "I'll finish out the week and transfer all of my clients to Bobby, it that's okay?" I ask as he walks me towards the door.

"Don't you worry about a thing, I'll handle it. You just go, figure out whatever you need to and hurry back. Jason, I need you coordinate with Missy and go through Aria's files, prioritize them and set up meetings with the heads of the accounts later this week."

Jason nods and picks up his phone, dialing Missy's extension, "Thank you so much Paul, I mean that."

He smiles warmly at me, placing a hand on my shoulder, "From one workaholic to another, enjoy yourself, for both of us."

I turn and head back towards my office, a smile plastered on my face during the entire walk. I call Missy into my office and explain Jason's impromptu call to her fully. She's shocked but happy for me, telling me that when I return, she'd love to return to being my receptionist. She makes me promise to call on occasion and I make her promise to always make time for her husband, that it'll haunt her one day if she doesn't. I log out of my computer for the last time, tucking my chair underneath my desk, then wrap up in my jacket, throwing my purse over my shoulder. I hug Missy one last time, thanking her for all of her hard work and dedication to me at all hours of the day and night and head toward the elevator.

I step out onto the street a few minutes later and stop, another smile spreading across my face. I take a deep breath of New York's thick, dirty air and tilt my head back, enjoying this major win. I head home slowly, leaving my car in the parking garage and choosing to walk. For the first time since I've been here, I actually admire the city's beauty. I was usually too busy, with my head buried in my laptop or lost in my lapses in time. I stop by a street cart and grab a sandwich before heading to Central Park and taking a seat at one of the many benches. I chew slowly and watch as mothers, doctors, lawyers, college students and children hurry by, some in groups, others alone. I wonder how many of them are like me; lost and continuing to drown in their own sorrows but putting on a brave face.

After I finish my sandwich, I stand and continue my route home, finally reaching my empty apartment. I shed my clothing and head immediately into the bathroom, where I draw a bath, complete with bubbles. I pour myself a glass of wine before slipping into the warm water. I spend a good, long while in the tub, draining the entire bottle of red wine before climbing from the garden tub and wrapping myself in my robe. I plop down on my bed, pulling open my laptop and grabbing my phone, dialing Hannah's number.

"What's up sis?" She answers.

I put the phone on speaker and set it down, returning my attention to my computer, "What are you doing?"

"Not much, I just got home from work. What are you up to?"

"I'm booking a flight." I answer, scanning the website for a one way ticket.

"Oh?" She questions, "To where?"

"Tennessee."

She's silent for a minute and I can almost hear her brow scrunching up, "Um, why? For work or something?"

"Nope," I let out, selecting a flight for seven p.m. this evening, "I requested some time for the rest of the year. I'm coming home for a while." She silent again, but this time long enough to make me think she's hung up on me, "Hannah?"

"Are you drunk or high? Did you get fired?"

"No," I laugh, grabbing my phone and heading towards the closet to change, "I told my boss that I needed some time for me. I need to detox and find out who I am. I haven't been me in a long time."

"Oh my god, that's so... me. What did Justin's dick do to you?"

I laugh wholeheartedly, for the first time in years, "Shut up. Don't tell momma though, I want to surprise her okay? Pick me up tonight."

"Tonight?! Holy shit, you're not wasting any time are you?"

"Nah, I've been wasting time my entire life. It's time for me to start doing something."

Hannah giggles into the phone, "Thatta girl! When do you get in?"

"Nine fifteen, flight 2834." I say, finishing the checkout through Expedia.

"I'll be there babe."

I smile, "Thanks Hanny. I love you."

"I love you."

We hang up and I toss my phone back to the bed, pulling a shirt over my head and jumping into a pair of tight jeans. I'm not even going to take anything with me. I'm just going to start completely over. Well, except for my shoes... I'll send for those later. I take care of a few loose ends, cancelling the paper, cleaning out the refrigerator and alerting my landlord that I'll be gone for a while but my rent will be paid. I place a call to Missy, who has a spare key to my car and ask her for one last favor to bring it to my apartment. I tap my fingers against the counter top, going through my mental list, making sure I've covered every avenue.

When I'm content that everything has been handled, I call for a cab and head towards the airport for the second time in as many weeks. But this time is different. Instead of being full of despair and hate, I'm filled with joy and happiness. I'm not afraid of what's next, or even to go home and be home for a while. I'm ready for whatever. I bypass the bars and restaurants in the airport and grab a coffee, bouncing my way to the gate. I cross my legs and wait for them to start boarding and I glance through my phone, sending text messages and scrolling through twitter. I jump up excitedly when I hear the gate agent announce that they are beginning boarding and hand over my ticket, smiling and thanking the young girl as I board.

Instead of sleeping the flight away, I jot down notes in my phone of all the things I want to do and cities and countries I want to visit while on my permanent vacation. Maybe I can convince Hannah and momma to come with me. That would be fun. Once the plane touches down, I'm one of the first people to deplane, hell, I'm practically running through the tunnel and into the airport. Unlike a few weeks ago, my head is up and a slight smile is plastered on my face. I make my way through the airport and venture outside, searching for my sister's Mustang. I dig out my phone from my purse, lightly pressing my finger on the home button to unlock it, but don't see any texts from her. It's not unlike Hannah to be late. I should have expected it actually. Hell, I should have told her to be here eight as a buffer. I plop down on one of the many benches, pull out my iPad and begin farming away on Hay Day.

An hour has now passed. I've called her four times, I've texted her about twelve times, which the last five or six have been rather nasty. I'm freezing my ass off, I'm starving and on a scale of one to ten on the pissy scale, I'm at a twenty. I slam my thumb on her name in my contacts again and it rings and rings, before her voice mail picks up.

"This is the last goddamn time I rely on you for anything Hannah! I can't believe you! I'm calling a cab, so don't bother."

I end the call and am about to dial a cab service when a black truck pulls up in front of me. I glance up quickly as a tall man steps out of the drivers side and jogs around the front towards me. I look back down at my phone but then shoot my eyes towards the man again, "Justin?"

He gives me a lopsided smile and pulls me into a hug, "Hey kid."

"What are you doing here?" I ask breathlessly, pulling away from the hug a second later, "Hannah was supposed to pick me up."

"Yeah, she called me about a forty five minutes ago, something came up at work and she had to go back in. You have any bags?"

Now, I should be glad that she at least managed to get somebody to come get me but this pissy attitude decides to overlook that point, "It took you forty five minutes to get here? Its fucking freezing, and no, I don't."

"I know, I'm sorry." He rubs my arm, trying to generate some heat for me, "I was in the middle of a late dinner meeting."

I roll my eyes and glance off in the distance, "Forty five minutes though?"

He chuckles, pulling me towards his truck and helping me in before jumping into the drivers seat, "Man, you are still mean as shit! At least that hasn't changed." I sigh loudly, annoyed at his comment, and he laughs even harder at me, "I was downtown! I'm sorry. As soon as she called me, I called one of my associates to come in and take over for me. I had to wait for him to show up before I could jet. I'm sorry, I really am."

I look over at him, running my fingers through my hair, "You didn't have to do that, I guess." I mumble.

He smiles again, "I dropped everything for you."

I look over at him as his words wash over me. I dropped everything for you... A smile creeps across my face as he brings the truck to life, pulling away from the curb, "Thank you Jay."

He shrugs, pulling off into the night, "You hungry? I didn't get to eat at my meeting cuz, you know, I had to pick somebody up from the airport."

I laugh, punching him lightly in the arm, "Shut up. I'm starving."

He cuts his eyes towards me for just a second before he focuses back on the road, "Mels' for a cheeseburger and strawberry shake?"

"You still remember?" I ask whimsically, smiling like an idiot.

He chuckles that low chuckle of his and pats my leg with his large palm, "Of course I still remember. Extra cheese and bacon on the cheese fries."

I moan, "Oh my god, that sounds amazing! I can already feel myself gaining weight though."

It grows silent between us but it's a comfortable one, "I'm glad you're home kid." He says after a few moments, "Maybe we could work on being friends again. I really have missed you."

I smile again, looking down at my manicured fingers, "I'd like that. I've missed you too." I say, nodding slightly.

He smiles, patting my leg again but this time, he lets his hand linger just a tad before he removes it from me. This just may be the beginning of something beautiful. This moment, right now, is what I've been feigning for, for the past fifteen years. Not just with Justin, but with me, my career, my outlook on life and love. This is peace. This is recognizing that sometimes, it's not all about me and what I want or feel. Sometimes, you just have to go with the flow of this busy current we call life.

Sometimes, you just have to take your time.

We make our way to Mel's and memories begin to flood the banks of my mind as soon as we hit the door. We had our first date here. He proposed to me a few years later beside the lake after we had dinner here. Justin ushers us back to our booth, the one where we sat each and every time we ate here and waits until I'm seated before he slides in, in front of me. We don't even have to look at the menu. When the red headed high school girl works her way over, Justin orders our usual, as if we ourselves had just walked in after a long day at school.

A few minutes later, our food arrives, hot and steaming and I don't dare waste a moment before popping a few french fries in my mouth, "Oh my god, that's so good." I moan, closing my eyes and letting the cheesy goodness explode in my mouth.

Justin chuckles before taking a bite into his Philly Cheese steak sandwich, "How long you in town for? You miss us that bad already?"

"For as long as I want," I shrug and he flicks his eyes up at me, "I got a wild hair up my ass today and told my boss that I needed a break," I laugh, "I don't even know what I'm going to do. I'm probably gonna sleep for a week."

He chews slowly, leaning back into the booth while he eyes me, "You seem different somehow."

"Oh yeah?" I ask, smiling slowly.

He nods, "The hair, which I dig, by the way. This attitude, the confidence. It's great."

I laugh nervously, tucking some hair behind my ear, "I'm trying." I whisper.

"Keep it up, it's working for you."

I pop a few more fries into my mouth before changing the subject, "No Harper tonight?"

"I told you, I was working when Hannah called me."

I scoff, "Don't play with me," I laugh, "I know what dinner meetings are. You usually bring your significant other to help impress the client."

He shrugs, "Ah, you know your shit."

"I've been in corporate America for a very long time, sir."

"Well, there's a good reason that she wasn't with me tonight."

"Oh yeah? What is the reason? Because let me tell you, Tom and I didn't even like each other and we still went to each others dinner meetings."

He takes another bite of his sandwich, chewing slowly, and taking a sip of his coke, "She broke up with me. Apparently, I'm too old for her because I didn't want to do couples Pilates."

I eye him cautiously but can't help that a big ass smile spreads across my face, "I'm sorry." I say, trying to sound concerned but failing as a laugh escapes, "Couples Pilates though? Really?"

He smirks back at me, a twinkle in those pretty blue eyes of his, "That's what I said! It was supposed to help us bond and create a deep, spiritual connection and blah blah blah." He rolls his eyes, "Pilates doesn't create a bond, and I'm not about to prance around with my ass in the air. I don't know, it turned into a huge fight and she just said that she didn't wanna be with me anymore because I and I quote, am acting like an old man, end quote." We share a laugh before he speaks again, "Maybe I'm old school, but if you feel like we need Pilates to create a bond with one another, maybe we have bigger issues."

I shrug, "You got a point there."

He matches my shrug, popping more food into his mouth, "I'm not though, by the way."

"You're not what?" I ask, a little confused.

He glances back up at me, smirking a bit, "I'm not sorry."

I pop another french fry into my mouth, a smile still playing on my lips. For whatever the reason, I'm not sorry either.

 

Fin?


Completed
god gave me style is the author of 19 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Take Your Time also liked 294 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story