Author's Chapter Notes:
So, you all voted to get me some very nice awards, and in the process you gave me a massive happy. So thank you lovelies, you rock my socks xx

“Do you think it’s possible they could make this more awkward if they tried?”

 

“Shh. If they hear you they’ll probably take it as a challenge.”

 

The two stars shared a private chuckle, trying to hold the pose so that the cameras could be positioned properly. They were on an ivy covered set of crumbling brick stairs. They were perfect for the video, in all their grand decay, but they were unstable. The weathered steps made for uneven footing. Millie’s back was pressed into the wall, which helped support her, but it was cold and her feet were awkwardly placed on two different steps. It was making one leg cramp up. Justin’s palms were pressed to the wall on each side of her – the brick was rough and slick with moisture. He was trying to keep his weight off of her and not crush her against it but he too had to balance on different steps. It was lucky he worked out and his arms could take the strain.

 

“Looking great guys, two more minutes!” The producer yelled encouragements.

 

“So… how ‘bout them Yankees?”

 

Justin shook his head. It was amazing how many things sounded ridiculous in her accent. “Really?”

 

“Had to say something to fill the silence.”

 

“Well your small talk sucks. Though I thought you Brits preferred to discuss the weather?”

 

“When in Rome. Maybe there’s a more international topic?”

 

“Okay then,” he said. “Uhh… got any siblings?”

 

“Lizzie, she’s twenty. You?”

 

“Two half brothers.”

 

“Nice.”

 

“You close?”

 

“Yep. Hopefully she’s coming to live with me soon.”

 

“That sounds cool. She looking to come out and follow you in the industry?”

 

“Fuck no. I’m thinking post-graduate degree; we’ll see when she gets here. Mainly she just wants to join me.”

 

Justin’s eyes travelled over her face. The vociferous denial was unexpected. There was a sneer in the curl of her bottom lip. Then again, he supposed he couldn’t blame her. If he ever got around to having kids he might be slow to see them enter such a cut throat industry.

 

“Well I guess she must miss you after…” Oops - he didn’t mean to bring that up. “Umm…”

 

At least the sneer was replaced by a smirk, even if it was a dry one. “After I got chucked out on my arse and designated the black sheep of the family, you mean?”

 

“Sorry.” He grimaced. “Didn’t mean to put my foot in it.”

 

“Oh it’s all public record anyway, darling, I wouldn’t worry.”

 

He couldn’t believe she’d just called him ‘darling’ in that tone. He’d hit on an incredibly personal topic and yet she was batting it off like it was nothing. She made fun of him for it. In a twisted way he kind of liked it.

 

“Yeah, but I know a little something about your private shit being public record. Nobody needs it.”

 

“And yet you’re dating Felicity, who’s never met a camera she doesn’t like.”

 

Justin found himself nearly choking as he tried to suppress a laugh. It wasn’t the kind of joke he should be laughing at, given his relationship with the woman in question, but the swipe was on the nose. She was funny in her acerbic fashion. The initial impression of her being reserved and accommodating shifted every time she cracked a joke. Sure she was nice enough, but she still had some bite.

 

“Wow. You’re not wrong, but wow.”

 

“Sorry, can’t resist. You may have gathered she’s not fond of me.”

 

“Yeah, I gathered.” He mocked her. “Though honestly, ‘dating’ is a loose term. I’d say I keep finding myself with her and then asking how the hell that happened again.”

 

“Yes, she’s a bit of a hurricane our Felicity.”

 

“So what did you do to piss her off?”

 

“Long story. I’ll be honest, I used to be right in the thick of it with her but after a while it just didn’t seem worth the time.”

 

It was one of many things that didn’t seem worth her time any more after she’d been disowned. Petty rivalries paled in comparison to how long she had left before she outstayed her current welcome on a friend’s couch.

 

“One more minute and then we’re good to go!” The yell came from the director.

 

“Okay, so you’re fine with what we agreed before?” Justin asked. “Hips and sides are fine, face but not neck, and if I grab your ass you’ll hit me?”

 

“That’s the gist of it.”

 

Against her expectations Millie found herself liking Justin Timberlake. It wasn’t that she’d thought he’d be unlikable; she simply didn’t tend to make more than bare acquaintances on sets. These things were usually very cordial and professional but that was about it. He had a little more about him, some warmth and sly humour that she appreciated. It surprised her, knowing the types Felicity dated. (She knew those types since once upon a time they’d been her type too. Things changed.)

 

It helped a bit with the shoot. Sexy scenes still made her uncomfortable whether in still or motion. They were part and parcel of her job so she dealt with them, but she did get nervous. She wasn’t the touchy feely type. Being physically demonstrative was an alien thing to her at the best of times. Being forced to do it with a stranger in an unnatural way for show was painful. In this situation he literally had her pinned to a wall, so it was good to get along.

 

“Okay, so we already discussed the movements I need to get from you guys out of this, you both happy with that?”

 

“Yeah!” Justin yelled down to set.

 

Between them they’d loosely choreographed the little interlude, but no doubt people would be barking instructions at them throughout anyway. It was hard to make a moment look natural and like you were into it when you were craning one ear for the next direction. That was the job though.

 

“Roll playback…” The song started blaring out over the speakers. “Three, two, one, action!”

 

Briefly the thought went through Justin’s mind that he was being paid to stand there and run his hands all over a supermodel. Many men would envy him that situation - and yet it was totally wasted on him. All he could think about was the way his palms were starting to sting from pushing against the brick.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story