Author's Chapter Notes:
A storm rolls through LA and Maxine and JC gets caught in it's cross fire.

February 13th
8:45 pm

Maxine let out a squeal, jumping back as a tall stranger slammed into her. She stumbled in her ankle boots and stumbled backwards, landing on her butt. She felt the chilly liquid soaking through her jeans and underwear before she even realized that she was sitting in a puddle of spilled and stinky beer.

“Maxine.”

“Aw, man.”

Laura grasped one of her arms, a bigger hand tightly gripping the other and a second later, she was hauled to her feet. Still not gathering her balance, she stumbled against the strong chest that she had run into only moments before, throwing her hands out in front of her to stop herself. Everything moved in slow motion.

The stinging smell of alcohol was briefly snuffed out by the combination of Old Spice and brown sugar—and odd combination that had quickly left her intoxicated. She closed her eyes, taking in a deep lungful of that peculiar scent. The pads of her fingers gently stroked the deliciously soft garment he was wearing. She could feel the slight ridge of abs under his shirt especially when they moved as he asked her something.

He was asking her something. Her chin bounced just slightly against him as he spoke. She managed to mutter a response into his chest. If she could call it that. She couldn’t form a single sentence and managed to get out a random string of words she knew no one would be able to decipher if their life depending it. Not that it was really an intelligent sentence, anyway.

Snap out of it, Max. She finally removed her hands from his chest and took a small step back at him, angling her head backwards just slightly to look him in the eye, face burning.  She was sure those few seconds—which felt like an eternity—would make casual reappearances whether she wanted it to or not.

“Are you ok?”

First thing she noticed were his blue eyes and the intense worry they held. “I mean…I’m fine,” Maxine said, managing a weak smile, swallowing thickly. “I’m ok.”

“You sure?” he asked, eyebrows lowering before they knitted together just slightly. His hands, she just realized, were on her shoulders, the heat seeping into her.

“Yeah, are you sure?” Maxine turned to face Laura and she felt the removal of the warm hands from her shoulders. Laura had a look of amusement on her face as she side-eyed the stranger. She widened her eyes slightly as she put her attention back on her friend. “That was a hard fall.”

“At least I didn’t fall in any vomit, right?” Maxine asked with a weak laugh. Her nose wrinkled slightly as she felt her underwear start sticking to her bottom. “Ugh, it doesn’t smell that way.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see you,” the man said with a frown.

“Guess that makes two of us, I didn’t see you either,” Maxine said with a fleeting smile. But she did see that he certainly was a handsome man.

His chestnut brown hair looked soft despite the gel that spiked it up in the front. His jaw was cut somewhat square shaped, little curved indents framing his nervous smile as he revealed a row of straight white teeth; the most beautiful set of pearls she had ever seen.

On anyone.

Guy or girl.

“Come on, toots, we should go get you cleaned up,” Laura said, looping her arm through Maxine’s. She practically bit off her friend’s ear as she pressed her mouth to the side of her friend’s face. “Like, now.” Maxine turned to give Laura a confused look and Laura gave a wide eyed look in return.

“What?” she asked her friend.

“Uhh…” The man reached up a hand and pushed aside the black chord around his neck, scratching at the indent it put on his skin. He then glanced down at his coat in his hands before holding it out towards Laura with one hand.

“Thanks,” Laura said with a hurried smile as she grabbed the coat, practically ripping it out of the man’s hands. “I’m Laura by the way.” Maxine let out a small grunt (that’s attractive) as Laura gave a hard pull on her arm, practically dragging her across the floor.

Her shoes slid over spilled puddles of beer, whiskey, or scotch that dotted the floor before getting stuck to the drying or dried patches on the way to the bathroom. Maxine felt the zipper to the dark coat scratch her shoulder as Laura placed it around her shoulders.

“What is it?” Maxine asked, blinking against the harsh light that practically seared her corneas. “Apart from the fact that you just blinded me?”

“Yeah, well, you’ll want to go blind after noticing,” Laura replied, steering her towards the full length mirror. Before Maxine could ask, again, what was going on, she saw the problem. The wet spots surrounding her crotch area would’ve been a normal occurrence at a day care—and yeah, maybe at a bar, too—but this was just…typical on today of all days.

“At least everybody around here was probably too drunk to notice,” Maxine said with a heavy sigh as she moved toward the paper towel dispenser. Laura peeled the coat from her shoulders and followed her, tossing it and her purse onto the sink counter. She reached the dispenser first and quickly pumped the handle, allowing a long line of brown paper towel to spill out before she tore it off.

“Yeah, that’s the least of your problems,” Laura said as she balled up the paper towel before she started dabbing it at Maxine’s bottom.

“Uggggh, don’t tell me!” Maxine groaned, tilting her head back towards the ceiling. The high ceiling made her words echo around the room. She twisted to the side to gaze at the dark wet spot on her backside. Laura let out a huff of annoyance as she spun in a circle as if she was chasing her own tail.

She only stopped when Laura grabbed her legs, forcing her to stay still and nearly knocking her over. “Great. Not even five minutes here and I’m walking the walk of shame and I haven’t even slept with anyone.” She didn’t even look at Laura as she lifted her finger, pointing it in her friend’s face. “Not that I plan to either.”

“Did I say anything?” Laura asked, her voice slightly high pitched. She gave a small laugh. “Girl, this is definitely going to be a Valentine’s Day you won’t forget.”

“It’s not exactly that funny,” Maxine said with a frown, falling forward, catching herself against the red painted brick wall with the palm of her hands. She pressed her forehead to the cool wall. I knew it. I knew I shouldn’t have gone out. Valentine’s Day is cursed. I just know it.

“Not now it might not be, not to you, but believe me, it is,” Laura said with a giggle. “I mean, just imagine if there was a hand dryer in here.” She snorted. “We could stuff your pants at least, make sure you get some good looks out of this night.”

Maxine let out a single, loud “HA!” before she giggled along with her best friend. Having a phone book sized pad between her legs was one thing during that special time of the month, but to have an enhanced butt without the surgery? Yeah, right. She wasn’t that insecure.

“Maybe we should just go home,” Maxine suggested, removing more paper towel from the dispenser, ripping it out of the dispenser to start rubbing at her jeans front. “I stink and these clothes are starting to stick to me.”

“Which would happen anyway with how much you’d undoubtedly sweat,” Laura said in a sing-song voice. She then got to her feet, hiking her purse up her shoulder. “We just got here. Let’s stay here for a little while longer, ok? Pretty please?”

“Let me at least go back home and change,” Maxine said with a sigh. “Valentine’s Day has always sucked for me, but the least I could do is not make it suck for my best friend.”

“And your best friend thanks you,” Laura said, planting her hands on her hips, popping her foot into the air before setting the heel down with a loud clack. She then reached for her purse on the counter. “And this is why you always bring extra underwear. Also for the off chance your ‘little friend’ comes to visit unexpectedly.”

“Just as long as it’s not a thong,” Maxine said with a sigh, opening her hand for the garment.

“With my period? Yeah, right,” Laura said, digging around in her purse. She let out a soft “ah ha” before pulling out a Ziploc bag. She pulled open the plastic bag and pulled out the underwear, handing it towards Maxine.

“Thanks.”

“No problem, girlie,” Laura replied, locking the bag shut with a flourish.

Maxine sighed, making her way into the stall, closing the door behind her. She closed and locked the door behind her and quickly changed into the dry article of clothing before slipping her jeans back up over her legs, sliding her feet into her socks, and pushing her feet into her shoes. “You don’t happen to have any dry pants in there, do you?” she asked as she unlocked the stall door, swinging it open.

“Nope, no room in Small Sam,” Laura said with a sigh, patting her side of her purse. “A bar is no place for Big Bertha. Movie theaters is her favorite location, but…tonight wasn’t her night.” Maxine rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. “Look, why don’t you stay here and freshen up and I’ll run back home—not literally of course—and get you a change of clothes? Cant waste an opportunity to meet someone and get free drinks to boot.”

“I guess I could at least give the guy his coat back,” Maxine said as she reached out to grab the black material. She crossed her arms over her chest, hugging the coat to her body.

“And who knows,” Laura said, putting her arm around Maxine’s shoulders, “maybe this’ll be your first step in the right direction. Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a big deal, remember?”

“But—“

“And we live together, we can do girl’s night anytime,” Laura continued, facing the mirror to run her fingers through her hair, fluffing it up. “It won’t take long. Just a few more minutes and if you really want to leave, we can leave.”

“Ok,” Maxine said with a nod of her head. She gave a smile. “But, only because I know you’re worth it.”

“Damn, right, I am,” Laura said with a wink into the mirror, sending it in her friend’s direction. Maxine chuckled before following her out of the bathroom. Laura gave a quick squeeze of her arm. “I’ll be back faster than two shakes of a puppy dog’s tail.” She swung her hips from side to side to prove her point (as if that makes sense) before slipping out of the room.

“Ok, Mystery Man,” Maxine said as she craned her neck to look around the bar, “where did you go?” She twisted her mouth to the side, letting out a sigh through her nose. She stepped towards the center of the room, slowly spinning in a circle. She spotted him standing near the door and made her way over towards him. “Hey.”

“Hi,” the man said, pushing himself up off the wall. His lips twitched upwards into a brief smile. “Is everything ok? Your friend ran out in a hurry.”

“Yeah, thanks,” Maxine replied with a nod of her head. “And sorry, again, for bumping into you.”

“I should be the one apologizing,” the man said, offering his half smile. “I should’ve been paying more attention.” His eyebrows narrowed into a curious glance. “Is there anything I can do for you?”

“Oh, no, but thanks,” Maxine said, waving her hand in the air. “Laura’s helping me out. Thanks…again.” She shrugged her shoulders. “Again.”

“No problem.” With a tilt of his head, the Mystery Man indicated the bar. “I’ve paid for a couple rounds for you and your friend. Have a great night.”

“You didn’t have to do that,” Maxine said, feeling her eyes grow wide.

“It’s the least I could do.” He gave a nod of his head before reaching for the door handle. “Enjoy your night.” A blast of damp, cool, air rushed over the two of them as he pushed the door open. A frown crossed his face and a hum rumbled in his throat. “Wonder when it started raining.”

Maxine leaned forward just slightly to glance up at the darkening sky. “Looks like a storm is rolling in,” she said to him. “Hope you can catch a cab.”

“You and me both,” he replied. “See you.” With that, he ducked out into the darkening evening sky, the sun getting blotted out by the charcoal gray clouds second by second. He ducked his head against the raindrops as he hurried to the street corner to flag down a cab.

“He’s crazy to go out there without…a coat…” Maxine glanced down at the black mass in her arms, feeling her stomach drop down to her feet. “This coat. The very same coat I’m still talking to.” You’re still doing it, Max. “Hey!”

Maxine darted out into the rain, a shuddering gasp slipping past her throat as the cold droplets bulleted down on top of her. “Wait up!” The soles of her shoes slapped against the pavement as she hurried after the man. “Your jacket! Hey!”

The man stopped, turning to face her, a confused look on his face before it cleared when he spotted the black coat in his arms. “Oh.” He reached out and took his coat back from her before lifting it up over their heads, shielding themselves from the rain. “Thanks.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m J…Josh…ua. Joshua.”

“Hey. I’m Maxine.”

 Someone up there must not have been a fan of hers despite her good deed as in that next instant a car went speeding by, covering both her and Joshua in a wave of murky brown rain water.

 


 

This is not happening.

JC slowly blinked, too stunned to do anything else. He was already shivering as the cold water seeped into his clothes instantly making them stick to his body. Water dripped off his eyelashes, nose, chin, and arms. His bottom lip trembled just slightly.

“Great,” he said lowering his arms. His coat wasn’t really helping at a time like this. If falling into a puddle of beer wasn’t bad enough, she looked like—and he knew he was going to get some payback from the man upstairs for this thought—a drowned puppy.

Her hair was stuck to her face and forehead, clothes hanging limply off her body, steadily dripping water. He didn’t think he could’ve looked much better, but at least he wasn’t alone in this situation. Embarrassment was better experienced with someone else. With Justin, Chris, Joey, and Lance they would be in a fit of laughter at this point, making jokes at the way they all looked, leaning on each other, clutching their stomachs as they tried to support themselves.

But, he didn’t know how…Maxine was it…was going to take it?

“Are you ok?” JC asked.

“Just peachy!” Maxine said through clenched teeth. She dropped her arms down to her sides with a loud, wet, smack. “This is just perfect.”

“Look,” JC said, clearing his throat. “I know this is very forward, but my place isn’t too far from here…give you a chance to dry your clothes and get out of the rain.” If he wasn’t already feeling like he was offering too much, the look on her face cemented that thought in his mind. Might as well wrap a chain around that cement block and push him into the ocean attached to it. “It won’t take long, get you out of this rain.”

“I can’t,” Maxine said with a shake of her head. She reached up her hands and pushed her wet, stringy, hair out of her face. “My friend—“

“Won’t be making it back here without a canoe,” JC said, interrupting her. He spread out his arms, indicating the rain drenched city around him. The rain started falling harder, more steady, filling the streets with backwash and covering the city in a layer of cool air. “No one’s going to make it down here let alone get out if they wait much longer.”

“But—“

“Look, take a picture of my drivers license when we get back to the hotel—“

Hotel?”

“Yes,” JC said, jerking his thumb over his shoulder. He lifted his voice to talk over the rain. “That’s where I’m staying, a hotel.” He felt a bubble of annoyance rise in his chest. “You’re either going to get soaked walking with me to the hotel—“

Walking?”

“Do you really think a cab is going to take either of us soaking wet, let alone drive out here to take us to any place we need them to go?” JC asked, crossing his arms over his chest, grimacing when a loud squishing sound hit the air. “I’m not letting you walk out here alone. Your place or mine? Which will it be?”

Maxine chewed her bottom lip as she looked down the street to, where he assumed was in the direction of…wherever it was she was staying. She was a well thought out woman; he could figure that out in an instant so he didn’t blame her for being worried. In all honesty, she didn’t know him from a sack of beans. At least those were dry.

“This storm is going to get worse by the looks of it, standing here isn’t going to make it any better,” JC said to her, lifting his hand to pinch the bridge of his nose. “You can take a picture of my driver’s license and text it to your friend if that’s what you want. But, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself knowing that I let you walk or hitch hike home by yourself not only soaking wet, but with the added risk that something could happen to you in this storm.”

JC watched as her look of uncertainty in her eyes slowly faded. “Warm shower, get your clothes dry.” She pursed her lips just slightly, peering over at him. “I’ll pay for whatever meal you want from room service. It’s a lot closer than where you’re going”

“And how do you know where I’m going?” she asked, tilting her head to the side.

“You’re wearing sensible shoes,” JC replied, pointing down at her feet. Maxine’s right eyelid slowly lowered in time with her jaw dropping a fraction of an inch. “Either you walked all the way over here, or you planned on swapping footwear once you got here.”

Maxine’s eyebrows shot up before she shook her head back and forth. “You don’t have to do that,” she said, lifting her hand into the air.

“I don’t want you catching a cold or anything,” JC explained. A simple “yes” or “no” or thank you” would suffice. He took it back, she wasn’t being realistic and cautious. She was being downright stubborn. She was a strong woman, no doubt. “Besides, like I said, because of this rain, who knows how many more cabs are coming this way?”

“Laura will worry about me,” Maxine said, raking her fingers through her hair.

“I think she’d be happier knowing you have a safe place to stay in this storm and not stuck with this weather, trying to make it back,” JC continued to reason with her. Maxine gave him a pointed look. “What?”

“I’m from Florida,” she replied, pointing upwards towards the sky. “This is not a storm. This is a…is a shower.” As soon as the words slipped past her lips the sky was briefly illuminated with a flash of lightning shortly followed by a loud clap of thunder. JC flinched as Maxine let out a loud, “Ahhhhh!”

 ““Gee, I’d hate to see what you’d call a storm, then,” JC said, his words dripping with sarcasm.  “At the risk of being fried and being berated by my mom when she finds out I left a girl out in the storm, might I suggest--?”

This is not a storm, ok?” Maxine insisted. “I know storms. This is just California acting like they’re sinking like Atlantis.”

“Yeah, those storms you’re talking about are called hurricanes,” JC replied. Maxine blinked before she bent at the waist, her lips pulling back into a smile that brightened the area around them. JC found himself chuckling. “I know what you mean, I’m from Florida, too. Kind of.”

“Really?” Maxine asked, as she straightened, giving him a look of surprise and amusement.

“Yeah, really,” JC replied with a nod of his head.

Maxine tilted her head back and let out a long, loud sigh. “Ok, fine,” she said, throwing her hands into the air. She then pointed a finger in his face before putting her hands on her hips. “I’m doing this for your mom you know.”

“Good to know,” JC said with a short laugh. He spun on his heels and headed down the street, Maxine hurrying to fall into step with her. They were silent for a moment and JC shook out his coat before holding it up above their heads.

“Thanks,” Maxine mumbled. “This is very nice of you, Josh-ua.”

JC let out a single chuckle. “You’re welcome and don’t worry about it.”

He wiggled his toes in his shoes, hearing how they squished and squelched from the water continuing to fill his shoes. To think he had planned on spending the night by himself, nice and warm in his hotel room in sweats.

You’ve just been brought up with good manners, he told himself over and over again. He was stupid to think he would get to go to a bar and not have anything happen with a girl. He was asking for trouble and he knew it.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for all the comments and readers. I’m glad you’re liking the story so far. Hope you stick around.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: hotel