Author's Chapter Notes:

A shorter chapter, sorry about that! I just kind of it felt like it ended where it ended, if that makes sense.

JC starts to wonder if he made a mistake.

February 13th
10:15 pm

JC bent his head, allowing the warm water of the shower to roll down the back of his neck, sending waves of heat and steam flowing down his body. The walk home took a lot longer than he had imagined with the traffic of everyone trying to get home as quickly and safely as they could.

And with compensating for Maxine’s small form swimming in her soaked clothes, he’d be a jerk if he pushed her out of the way to get into the hot shower first. Let alone, push her out of the hotel room altogether. Having a girl around put him on edge.

Having a girl around that he wasn’t romantically interested in and not being sure if she was interested in him was just…different. Good different. There were no expectations, no underlying tones, nothing. He was being the thoughtful man he was raised to be and helping someone out.

He could hear her muffled voice on the other side of the wall, talking to her friend. He had left his driver’s license out like he had said he would. But, he didn’t know what they were talking about. He was stupid to think he’d be able to keep his identity a secret. Not that it really was something he was trying to hide, just something he wanted to get away from for a while. He didn’t want to be “JC the musician” but “Joshua” at least once.

 If only for a little while.

He couldn’t remember the last time he had gone by that name. He couldn’t even remember who this Joshua was as a kid, but it didn’t mean he couldn’t figure out how he was as an adult. First things first: he knew he was not the type to spot which was the most attractive girl in the audience during a show.

With a sigh, he reached over and turned off the shower water, Goosebumps instantly rising at the lack of heat soaking into his skin. Who was he kidding? Whoever he was in that moment or whoever he was going to be the second he gets back on that tour bus, he was JC Chasez. It was who everyone knew him as and knew him to be.

And unless we stop, NSYNC, that’s how it’s always going to be, he thought with a sigh pushing the curtain back, reaching out to grab the fluffy white towel sitting out for him. He quickly dried himself off and changed into a t-shirt and a pair of baggy gray sweatpants. He let out a sigh as he exited the bathroom, furiously rubbing his hair with the hand towel.

“You know there’s a reason why you shouldn’t take a bath or anything when it’s storming,” were the first words out of Maxine’s mouth as JC tossed the damp towel onto the back of the hotel chair sitting in front of the dark wood desk.

She was sitting cross legged in the center of his bed, repeatedly pulling up the sleeves to his cotton pajama top. Her feet barely poked out from the bottom of the plaid pajama pants. A thick lump sat across her stomach from where he assumed she rolled the waist band multiple times to keep them sitting somewhat comfortably on her frame.

“And yet, having you have the cooks in the hotel turn on just about every electronic around here to make you food is a good idea,” JC said, hiking an eyebrow as he turned to face her.

Maxine chewed on her bottom lip, shifting her gaze from the TV towards him. “Ok, I get your point,” she said after a moment of silence. JC chuckled as she went back to flipping through the channels. “That chocolate lava cake was calling my name, ok? Maxiiiiiiineee. Maxiiiiiiiineeee.” She closed her eyes, rocking back and forth as if she was impersonating a ghost. “And, filet mignon is pretty much a stable Valentine’s dinner, no?”

“Prime choice of meat, candy, flowers, chocolate, candle lit dinner, the whole shebang,” JC agreed, dropping down onto the side of the bed. The mattress rippled as he did so. He glanced over at the window when the curtains briefly illuminated with lightning before a low rumbled was heard in the distance. “Did you get in contact with your friend? Laura?”

“Yeah, she’s glad that I found a place out of the storm,” Maxine replied. She flipped the remote into the air and caught it in her hand. “Even if it’s with some guy from a bar she doesn’t know.” She waved it in his direction. “But, she trusts you.”

“Did you show her my driver’s license?” JC asked.

“No,” Maxine said with a shake of her head. “You offered and that was enough for her. Most guys don’t do that.”

“It’s also because I offered to pay for your drinks, isn’t it?” JC asked, crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned back against the headboard, a pillow supporting his back.

“That too.” JC laughed. “She’s sad she’s missing out.”

Silence fell over the two of them. It wasn’t awkward and yet it was just slightly uncomfortable. He took the time to look over at her as she put her attention back on the TV, continuing her scrolling to try and find something to watch. Or something to brake the silence the slid over the two of them. Her damp hair left a large wet spot on the back of her shirt. She sat hunched over, one knee pulled to her chest, chin resting on her knee cap almost as if she was trying to defend herself.

She was going to be a tough one to get to open up. They were stuck in a hotel together for God’s sake, who else did they have to talk to?

“Are you here by yourself or…?” Maxine suddenly asked. JC paused for a moment. It was a bit of a loaded question. “Uh…apart from me, anyway. I mean…do your friends know where you are. Y’know, in case they’re trying to get in touch with you or anything.”

“They’re not,” he said flatly. He had shot them a quick text as soon as he got to the building but only got a response from Lance, not that it was a huge surprise for him. It was one of their first days off in a long time (one they had pretty much requested), he’d have company over if he could as well. Not that she wasn’t company. Just…silent company. “They’re spending time with their significant others.”

“You sound jealous.” If JC didn’t see the corner of her lip pull back from her profile, he would’ve quickly shot out a retort. She was teasing him.

Two could play that game.

“I have you,” JC said with a shrug of nonchalance and a sigh.

“Gee, thanks,” Maxine said, twisting slightly to face him, hiking an eyebrow. JC lifted his eyebrows in return and she rolled her eyes, shaking her head, facing the TV before she flipped it off, swinging around to face him, sitting cross legged. “I happen to be excellent company.”

“Yes, but are you a good dinner companion?” JC asked, lifting his hand to run his fingers through his hair. “Are you a talker or are you the more silent type?”

Maxine’s lips twitched into a hint of a smile. She set her elbows on her knees and rested her chin on top of her fists. “Why? Are you screening me for a date?” she asked. “It’s a nice plan, too: the day before Valentine’s Day.”

 JC blinked in surprise at her sudden burst of sassiness. A large clap of thunder rumbled. Oh, she was definitely going to be trouble.

Chapter End Notes:
Again, sorry about the shorter chapter. But, I'm glad you're all enjoying this story! I've got the next one planned out!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: hotel