Author's Chapter Notes:
Here is the second chapter! Enjoy!
Lance was putting his bathroom supplies away into his travel case when he heard a knock on his door. With a final glance into the still somewhat steamy bathroom mirror he walked out of the bathroom and into the hotel room as the knock sounded again. He sighed as he looked over at Joey who was lounged out on his bed reading a magazine, “You couldn’t get that?” he said in an exasperated tone.

“Why? If it’s a rabid fan, it’s you she wants to see, not me. My face is too pretty for a fight,” Joey answered from behind his magazine.

Lance rolled his eyes as he glanced into the peep hole on his door to see JC standing behind it. He seemed like he was antsy about something and kept running a hand through his long, apparently wet hair. Lance unlocked then opened the door; he raised an eyebrow at JC. “Yeeeessss?”

“Can I use your laptop?” JC asked quickly, fidgeting with his t-shirt which seemed, at closer inspection, to be inside out.

“Um…yeah. Let me set it up for you,” Lance replied with a questioning look but was met with nothing more than JC brushing past him and into the room. He watched as his friend walked past the bed and toward the window where he stood there quietly.

Lance shut the door and turned to see Joey looking at him questioningly over the top of his magazine. He shrugged and shook his head at him in response before he walked over to the desk in the room and started unpacking his laptop from his bag. Once he had everything plug in and set up, he turned to JC who was still quietly looking out of the window.

“You okay, buddy?” he asked as he stood and watched JC turn and walk forward to the desk.

“Fine. Just need to check something,” JC answered as he sat down onto the chair.

Okayyyy...Lance pushed Joey’s legs away on the bed and sat down to watch as JC typed a few things in the laptop’s browser. “Where’s Bobbie? Thought she was here?”

“Yeah, I definitely heard her dulcet tones backstage earlier…” Joey chimed in getting rewarded with an elbow to the thigh from Lance.

JC shook his head and shrugged, “She’s gone.”

Okayyyy...“So um, do you want to come out with us tonight then? We were thinking of-” Lance started to say.

“No thanks. Do you have something I can write on?” JC cut him off as he started to pull open drawers on the desk until he finally found a hotel note pad and a pen. “Never mind.” He scratched a few words on the paper before he ripped the top sheet off and then clicked out of the browser and shut the lid of the laptop. “Thanks,” he said as he stood up, stuffed the piece of paper into his back pocket and walked out of the hotel room.

Lance looked at Joey for a moment then asked, “What was that?”

Joey shrugged and shook his head, “No idea.”

*

“So how long have you been writing, Kyra?” the interviewer asked her after turning on a small recorder which was placed on the bistro table between them.

Kyra smiled and sipped her coffee before answering. “All my life basically. As soon as I could hold a marker or crayon in my hand I was writing. My Mom told me that I would walk up to her with a piece of construction paper covered in random scribbles and ‘read’ her my stories. When I actually learned how to write in real letters and words my imaginary friends didn’t just stay in my head, they ended up on paper going through all sorts of adventures.”

The interviewer smiled and nodded. “Well it does sound like you’ve been writing for a long time. Tell me, is your novel based on anything in particular in your real life or is it just something you came up with?”

“Oh gosh, it’s totally something I came up with. I think some writers, including me, sort of use their books as a way of experiencing things like romances or adventures that they wish would happen in their own lives.”

“So there isn’t a strikingly handsome dark haired, blue eyed architect in your life?” she asked and Kyra chuckled with a shake of her head response. “Following in that vein, do you base your characters’ personalities or appearances on people you know?”

Kyra winced slightly before remembering herself and plastered her friendly face on again. “Sometimes. I find that I’ll start writing a character and then suddenly after a while I realize, that he or she reminds me of someone I know. I also tend to like to people watch when I’m writing as it sort of gets my creative juices flowing and eventually, it does sometimes happen that my characters will resemble someone memorable I would have noticed.”

The interviewer nodded and smiled. “You must be able to do much more people watching now that you’ve moved to Boston right? I hear this is a recent move?”

She nodded. “Somewhat, yes. I moved to Boston about six months ago.”

“Why Boston?”

“Well, I always loved the old history here. It seems like you can pick up a new story on every street corner, you know? I grew up in a small town in Maryland and I felt like it was a good move. I always felt like it was home when I visited Boston, so I decided to finally do it.”

After a few more basic questions about her writing influences and her happiness at being published, the interviewer asked, “So your readers will be pleased to know that you have another two books that will follow this one am I correct?”

“Yes, that’s true. Turns out Scott, the main male character in my story, has a brother and sister that both wanted to get stories of their own as well.”

“Well I’ve got to say that I can’t wait to read about them as well. I also want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. This interview will appear in my column in Book Chat next week.”

*

A few hours later Kyra’s cab pulled up in front of her hotel. After she paid the taxi driver and accepted her rolling suitcase from him, she started to walk up the entrance. A few moments later her trajectory was cut off by a large man wearing a polo shirt with the hotel’s emblem on his chest. “Good afternoon, Ma’am. Are you checking in?”

She smiled at the man and nodded. “Yes, I am. I don’t need help with my luggage though, thank you,” she said as she tried to bypass the man but he didn’t budge.

“Do you already have a reservation booked?”

She raised a brow and stood back a little miffed. “Yes.”

“May I have your name please?”

“What is this about? I’ve stayed here before-“

“Just extra security, Ma’am.”

Kyra sighed. “Kyra Campbell.”

After the man seemed to have what was an hour long conversation with someone at the other end of a walkie-talkie she was allowed entrance into the hotel and pulled up somewhat frustratingly to the front desk.

“Is the President staying here or something?” She sighed as she handed over her credit card to the young lady at the desk.

The young lady, Daisy, or so her name tag said, giggled. “Nah, there’d be far less groupies outside if he were,” she answered as she fluttered overly mascaraed eyelashes at her.

Kyra raised a brow and watched as Daisy swiped her credit card and then typed a few things into her computer with her perfectly manicured nails. Yeah she’d noticed a small group of girls outside when she’d pulled up but she’d figured they were here on a school trip or something…waiting for their tour guide. But groupies? Guess they were getting younger and younger these days.

“And…I bet you’re not allowed to let me in on the secret right? You know, woman to woman?” she said trying her most charming smile on the young lady.

“Absolutely not. That would be unprofessional and against our confidentiality policy,” Daisy answered but seemed to want to say more behind her friendly smirk.

Kyra shrugged and signed the document offered to her before she grabbed her suitcase once more.

“Now, it’s up the elevator to the fourth floor and down to your left. Make sure you carry your room key with you at all times as to avoid being held back by security for the next two days. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.” She smiled and then winked, “Bye, Bye, Bye.”

“Bye,” Kyra responded as she turned and started walking toward the elevator banks when she stopped dead in her tracks.

Bye, Bye, Bye.

Well, shit.



Chapter End Notes:
What do you think? I promise it will end well, but we've got to get there first ;)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story