Story Notes:

I wrote this with a good friend of mine Adrea! Hope you enjoy it! We have changed the name and edited some things. Hope you enjoy. If you have time leave us s review on what you think. 

 

*EDITED*  

2 years ago - New Year’s Eve 2011/2012 

 

Katie Rodgers and her co-worker, Addy Osterberg, were having lunch at a sandwich place across the street from where they worked, Pikes Peak Advertising, discussing their plans for that night. 

 

Addy joined the firm 6 months ago when her and her husband, Alex, moved to Colorado from Boston. Alex had just finished his pediatric emergency fellowship at Boston Medical Center. It was a homecoming for Addy, as she grew up an hour and a half outside of Denver in Breckenridge, Colorado. Ever since Katie met Addy, on Addy’s first day, it’s felt like they’ve known each other for all their lives and became quick friends.

 

“Are you sure you and Trevor don’t want to join Alex and I at the Black Tie event at Sherman Street tonight?” Addy asked.

 

“Yeah, I’m sure. We have our own plans tonight,” Katie said taking a bite of her sandwich.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Well, first we’re having dinner at the 16th Street Mall at Appaloosa, watching the fireworks, then just head home since Trevor has to work tomorrow.” 

 

“Alright, well you can’t say I didn’t invite you then,” Addy smiled. 

 

“I won’t,” Katie smiled back. “So how much more do you have to do at work before you can leave?” 

 

“Not that much. I’ll probably bust everything out when we get back and leave around 2:00. What about you?"

 

“Not a whole lot either, but I decided to spread the work out since Trevor’s going to come by and pick me up for dinner around 7, so why just sit around and get things done fast when I can take my time. Plus, it’s a good time to clean my office,” Katie said as they finished up their lunch and headed back to the office. 

"Yea, your office kinda needs it,” Addy said as they reached Pikes Peak Advertising.  

 

"Oh come on! It isn't that bad,” Katie laughed as they reached her office. 

 

"Are you kidding, Katie you can't even see your desk. I don't even know how you get your work done." Addy said shaking her head and looking in Katie’s office  

 

"I get my work done just fine thank you, and it’s not that bad." Katie said again sitting in her chair. "Hard to believe another year is going to be starting."

 

"Right! And… a New Year means new adventures… Like getting married," Addy said looking up at her friend from her spot across from Katie

 

"Now… I don't know about that.

 

"Oh thank god! Please, don't get married to Trevor."

 

"Don't start that again, Addy."

 

"I'm sorry Katie, but there's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way." 

 

Now it was Katie's turn to shake her head, as Addy left to head back to her office. 

 

Katie and Trevor Bratcher met while in college at the University of Colorado- Boulder. Katie was a junior from Tennessee on an academic scholarship and on the Swim Club Team, while Trevor was a senior from Denver majoring in Environmental Science. They were both at a party after a football game when a mutual friend of theirs introduced them to each other. 

 

Katie started cleaning her desk thinking about if she was making a mistake dating Trevor? He had a wondering eye, but she thought that it was just an innocent thing most guys do it right? It was awhile before she realized that she wasn't doing anything. No, her and Trevor had a good relationship, and it was strong, she thought trying to get her mind back into cleaning her office. 

 

Before she knew it, 7:00 pm had arrived.

 

"Hey, you ready?” Trevor asked walking into her office. 

 

"Hi! I'm almost done just give me a minute."

 

"Come on let's go. I want to get this all over with so I can get to bed. I have to be on shift at 7 tomorrow morning."

 

"Ok, ok," Katie, exclaimed putting her things into her bag. 

 

She went to his side and kissed his cheek. She couldn't wait to spend the evening with him.

 

"I can't wait for dinner."

 

"Neither can I," Trevor said threw his teeth softly.

 

Katie looked up and smiled ignoring all the warning signs. As soon as she was done she went and took her boyfriends hand.

 

"Ok I'm ready," she said kissing his cheek.

 

“Finally," Trevor said taking her hand. "Let's go."

 

"Why are you in such a hurry?" 

 

"Because I want to get this night over with, and you know I gotta be at the station at 7am, so I would like to get at least some descent sleep.”   

 

Katie was taken aback by his attitude, but she ignored it. She was going to enjoy the evening, as she’s really had been looking forward to spending time with her boyfriend.  

 

"I'm excited to spend the night with you," she said tightening her grip on his hand.  

Trevor only smiled as they continued to walk towards the car.  

 

So they were heading to their favorite restaurant, and as soon as they walked in they were seated admittedly.  

 

As soon as they sat down, Trevor took his phone out and started playing on it. Katie watched him. It really wasn’t anything new, but she wanted to spend time with him.  

 

"What can I get you to drink?" The waiter asked.  

 

"We would like to share a bottle of pino," Katie said right away.  

 

The waiter nodded and headed towards the back. Katie looked at Trevor, who was still on his phone.  

 

"What you doing?"  

 

"Nothing."

 

"What's up with you lately?" 

 

"You know I've been busy with work." 

 

"Yea I know. I love you." 

 

"What are you going to order?" Trevor asked. 

 

Katie's throat closed slightly, and her heart was starting to close. She took a drink of her water and looked away. As soon as the waiter came back with the wine and ice. She downed her first glass, and then grabbed the bottle pouring herself another glass. This wasn't going to be a good night she could feel it.  

 

"How was work today?" 

 

"Boring,” Trevor simply stated not looking up from his phone.  

 

"Are you going to talk to me or should we end the night right now." 

 

"You know what I think that's a great idea. Katie, sorry but I'm done." 

 

Katie's mouth dropped. "What?" 

 

"I'm done Katie. I don't want to do this anymore." 

 

"But… Trevor I...I love you." 

 

"Oh come on Katie you knew we wouldn't last. We both want different things right now." 

 

Trevor started standing up as the waiter walked up to take their order. 

 

"Have you decided?" 

 

"Sorry, but I have to leave." 

 

"And who do I give the check to?" 

 

"She’ll take care of it, and Katie you better be out of the apartment by Tuesday." 

 

Katie just sat there shocked. "You truly don't mean that." She choked.  

"I do, so bye," he said walking away answering his phone, “Hey! I’ll be there in 5 minutes.”

 

The waiter placed his hand on her shoulder. He felt for the women in front of him, as she had been given the ultimate blow, and on New Year’s Even no less. 

 

"I'm so sorry."  

 

Katie took a deep breath. "Can I just get some fried calamari." 

 

"My pleasure ma'am." 

 

"Thank you," Katie said leaning back in the booth, still trying to wrap her head around what just happened.  

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc