Katie looked at her phone reading her friends text. She shock her head and looked up at her work building. She had been sitting outside dreading to go back in. Screw Jim. She couldn't help she was preoccupied. Taking a deep breath she walked into the building and up to the office. 

"Well look who decided to show up," Jim snapped. "Office."

Rolling her eyes she followed him into his office. Closing the door behind them. 

"What the hell Katie! What was with you today?"

"It's a personal matter," Katie muttered. 

"Well it got in the way today. I'm writing you up for the day."

"What! Oh come on Jim, the meeting went just fine."

"Katie could you even tell me one thing that was talked about in the meeting."

Katie bit her bottom lip. 

"That's what I thought," he remarked. "Get you head out of the clouds and off your FBI boyfriend."

"Wait you knew?" Katie exclaimed sitting up in her chair. 

"Yea… Addy told me."

Katie shook her head in disgust. Damn people. She looked down and picked at one of her nails. She needed a drink and badly. This day was shit. 

"Katie." 

"What?!"

"Go home. You aren't in the right mind to work today."

"I'm fine." She stood up and crossed her arms. "I'm just having a shitty day that doesn't mean I can't work."

"I'm ordering you to just go home."

"Ugh fine." She grabbed her things and stormed out of the office. She didn't really want to work anyway. 

 

A few hours later, Josh arrived at Katie’s place, only to see her on the couch, with a bottle of wine in her hand and taking a long drink from it. He also noticed an empty wine bottle on the coffee table.

“Woah! What’s going on here?” he asked shutting the door.

“I got sent home from work- that’s what’s going on,” Katie said not moving.

“Why’d they send you home?” Josh asked sitting next to Katie.

“Because apparently my head is in the clouds and I was preoccupied with some personal matters,” Katie said bring the wine bottle up to her lips.

“Katie,” Josh said taking the bottle from her.

“Hey! I had a shitty day, so give my bottle back,” Katie said reaching for the bottle only to have Josh hold it farther from her.

“Nope- we’re going to talk about what happened today,” Josh said.

Katie sighed, “Fine- let’s talk”

Josh took a deep breath, but before he could speak, Katie spoke first.

“I just don’t like you carrying a gun.”

“Is that all?”

“And I’m just afraid you won’t come home at night”

“Okay first thing first. Yes there’s a chance I won’t be coming home, and even though my job causes a higher risk of it, it’s something every single person, including you, risk. You could get in some kind of accident and not come home that night, and for me there is a less than one percent chance of me not coming home. So that means there’s a 99% chance that I’ll be here next to your side at night, as for the gun thing… that’s just part of the job. Have you ever shot or held a gun?

Katie just sat there thinking. “Back when I was little, like when I was 6, with my uncle, but that’s it. I really don’t remember.”

“Well how about this. This weekend,  after we move some boxes over to my new place, we can go to the gun range and have you shoot at some targets, that way you know what it feels like and know it’s not that scary, and it just might ease your mind a little. We can even Alex and Addy join us,” Josh said, bringing Katie closer to him.

Katie giggled at him, “Yeah okay, Addy with a gun that would a sight to see.”

“Don’t laugh now. Addy has a great shot on both the pistol and rifle, I’ve seen it, and I think she might actually have better accuracy then myself.”

“Wait! Are we talking about the same Addy? Addy Osterberg?” Katie asked

"Yep, that’s the one. I guess she’s been around them her entire life, family hunts, and I guess some family history in law enforcement."

"Damn." Katie exhaled. "You learn something new every day."

"So are we ok now?"

Katie bit her lip and narrowed her eyes at him. She considered her answer for a minute. "Yes I guess." She leaned forward and kissed his lips. "Now give me that bottle back." 

"Hey! Don't I get some?" He exclaimed. 

Taking a long drink she looked at him. "There's another bottle in the fridge."

"So is the plan to get drink and have fun." He gave her a wink then headed for the kitchen. 

"Hmm... I'm not sure about that."

"Aww." Josh pouted. 

He made his way back to the couch bottle and glass in hand. 

"You don't really need that glass." 

"I think it's better then drinking from the bottle."

"Nah there's nothing like drinking from the bottle," she said taking a long drink. 

Josh just shook his head. Pouring himself a glass he sat back on the couch. Even drunk his girlfriend was beautiful. Reaching over he ran his finger down her cheek.

"Kate."

"What?!"

"Let's just go to bed. Tomorrow's another day." 

Katie turned and looked at him. "I thought you were going to get drunk with me?"

"I think I would rather just go lay in bed and cuddle."

Sighing Katie sat the bottle down. That sounded wonderful. Catching blue eyes she knew the day was now done. 

"Ok."

The two for up and went into the bedroom. Shutting the door behind them. Katie cuddled deep in her boyfriend’s arms. 

"I love you Josh." She muttered sleepily. 

"I love you Kate." He whispered kissing her temple. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc