A Few Weeks Later

 

“So you’re having dinner with Katie tonight right?” Alex asked Addy over the phone, he was at home as it was his only day off this week.  

Addy sighed in response, as she went through her email. “Yeah, that’s the plan. I guess her and Josh had another fight this morning or last night or something, and she wants to get my take on it." 

“They’re fighting more then us,” Alex said.  

“Actually I think it’s about the same, plus their fighting isn’t being captured on camera. And, Katie mentioned something about how she wants their relationship to be like ours, since it’s ‘perfect’,” Addy said as she rolled her eyes.   

Alex let out a chuckle, “Ours is far from perfect, plus they’ve been together for only a few months, so they have a ways to go before perfection.”  

“We also have a ways to go ourselves,” Addy sighed. 

“Every couple has a long way to go to hit perfection,” Alex responded. 

“True- so what are your plans for tonight, since I won’t be home?” Addy asked.  

“Probably just go play some pickup basketball with Casey and the guys, so nothing too exciting,” Alex said, flipping through the channels on the TV, just trying to find something to watch.

“Well, maybe when you’re done, you can come and join us,” Addy smirked.  

“Um.. yeah, no thanks. I’ll let you and Katie have your time to chat and her time to drink,” Alex laughed.  

“I figured… oh have you started to wash the sheets yet?” Addy asked  

Alex looked towards the bedroom and then towards the laundry room from his spot on the couch, “Uh yeah." 

“Alex…”  

“They’re in the washer right now,” Alex lied.  

“Sounds good, but I gotta go so I love you and I’ll call you later,” Addy said looking up to see someone from the creative department at her door.  

“Bye- love you too." 

“Bye,” Addy said hanging up.  

“Guess I should go put the sheets in the wash,” Alex mumbled, slowly getting up from his spot on the couch.  

 

Around 5:30, Katie walked into Addy’s office.  

“Hurry up! Happy hour ends in a half hour,” Katie whined sitting on Addy’s office couch.  

“Just hold your britches, I just need to finish this email and then we can go,” Addy said starring at her computer.  

That’s when Katie started to hum the Final Jeopardy song.  

Addy looked up at her, “That’s not going to make me go any faster." 

“Well hurry up!”  

Addy typed a few more things, then clicked on a few things, then stood up. “Alright let’s go and get your happy hour on." 

Katie stood up and headed towards the door with Addy behind her locking up.  

Soon they arrived at Mile High Tap House and grabbed a table in the bar, as soon as they sat down, Katie already had her first drink of the night infant of her and Addy had her normal glass of water.  

“What are you going to get?” Katie asked

“What I normally get- they’re Root Beer pulled pork sliders. What about you?” 

“Probably just a burger,” Katie replied.

Soon their orders were taken, and after Katie had a few more sips of her drink, Addy dived right in. 

“So what are you two fighting about this time?" 

“It’s so dumb- but just him not taking out the trash,” Katie responded taking another drink. 

Addy just looked at her. “That’s it? That’s what the huge fight was about? Didn’t you two have this same argument last week?”  

“Yeah, but it’s a constant thing we’ve been fighting about,” Katie said downing the rest of her drink, just as the server brought her another one. “And I think our fighting is getting worse.”  

“Yeah but all couples fight, even about the stupidest thing. It’s just part of all healthy relationships,” Addy said just as their food arrived, and Katie downed her second drink. “And maybe you should be slowing down on the drinks.”  

Katie just gave her a look. “I had a shitty day, so I can drink as much as I want tonight.”  

Then her email alert went off on her phone, she looked down and rolled her eyes when she saw it was from Jim.  

“Great,” she mumbled, “And now here’s another reason I shall be drinking as much as I want tonight.”  

She tossed her phone to Addy.  

“So Jim wants to see you first thing in the morning? What’s the issue?”  

“I had another shitty meeting today, so I probably lost the client,” Katie said stopping a server who was talking by. “Can I get another beer and a shot of tequila?" 

The server nodded and walked away. 

“Was the meeting shitty because you two had this taking out the trash fight this morning and that was all your could think about?” Addy asked just as the server returned with Katie’s drinks. 

Katie took the shot, “I mean how fucking hard is it to take the trash out to the dumpster? The same dumpster, he parks next to every single damn day! It’s not that damn hard!”  

Addy just looked at her friend. 

“And like I keep telling you, it’s another bump in the road, and with you two moving in so soon, you both going to have a very bumpy road,” Addy said taking a drink of her water.  

“Oh screw you and your bumpy road shit. It’s not like you and Alex ever fight, you two are like the ‘perfect couple’.”  

That’s when Addy spit out her water. “Perfect couple? Yeah right! We are far from the perfect couple, that’s for sure.”  

“Bull shit! Then how come I never see you two argue? Like ever! It’s kinda sickening actually,” Katie said rolling her eyes.  

“Oh we fight trust me. Just because I don’t bring it in with me to work doesn’t mean we don’t argue or fight.”  

“Whatever,” Katie said taking another shot. Addy already knew her friend crossed the line of being drunk. “When have you two ever fought?”  

“Well let’s see- where do you want me to start?”  

“This should be entertaining,” Katie mumbled.  

Addy just looked at her.  

“Let’s see we fought all the time while at school, we fought while Alex was still in med school- which led to me stressing out and having my first miscarriage. Then we fought about moving from Boston to Denver, which I kinda led to my second miscarriage. We fight every year about plans for the holidays. We fought last week about loading the dishwasher, oh and multiple fights we had were caught on camera for the world to see when we were on the The Amazing Race… do you want me to keep going?” Addy said starring at Katie . 

Katie shook her head ‘no,’ then slurred, “Maybe- I should have just stayed with Trevor. Wonder what it would be like had I stayed with him.”  

That’s when Addy had enough; she pulled out her credit card and handed it to the server. “We’re ready to go." 

The server smiled and nodded.  

“Maybe it’s true, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side,” Katie slurred.  

The server returned with Addy’s card, Addy signed the receipt, and put her card back in her wallet. “Stop with the Trevor talk, and I’m tired of your crap, so let’s go, I’m getting you a cab.”  

Addy stood up and gathered her things, then helping Katie with hers, soon she was helping Katie walk outside.  

Lucky for Addy, a cab was already waiting. She opened the back passenger seat door and helped Katie get inside the cab. 

Katie was still mumbling about Trevor, “Do you think I should call Trevor?” 

Addy rolled her eyes. “Can you please take her to 2100 Bryant St. Here’s $40, that should cover it, and just keep the change. I’ll make sure someone is waiting to help her to her apartment.” 

The little old lady driver nodded and took the cash. 

“Alright Katie- this nice lady is going to take you home, and I’m going to call Josh to meet you in front of your building,” Addy said. 

“Do you think I should call Trevor? Give him another chance?” 

Addy rolled her eyes, “Katie, you’re drunk- so just go home. Josh is waiting, and no calling Trevor! I’ll check in with you in the morning,” Addy said shutting the back door. 

“Bye Addy! I’m sorry for yelling at you,” Katie said thru the window. 

“No worries,” Addy said waving bye as the cab drove away, making it way towards Katie and Josh’s apartment. 

She felt sorry for the little old lady driver, Katie talking her ear off about if she should call Trevor or not. Addy secretly hoped the lady wouldn’t respond, and Katie would forget about everything by the time she got home.  

Addy started to make her own way home, calling Josh on the way to let him know to meet Katie out front, and then hoping that Alex remembered to put the sheets from the wash into the dryer before he left for his pickup game.  

 

Katie had her head resting up against the back taxi window when it pulled up to her apartment complex. She saw Josh standing out front waiting for her. 

“Here you go ma’am,” the little old lady driver said. 

“Thanks,” Katie said opening the door. 

“Oh, and I wouldn’t worry about calling your ex, it’ll stay between you and me,” the lady smirked as Katie got out and shut the door, just looking at the driver as the cab took off down the road. Katie doesn’t even remember calling Trevor while in the cab. Did she really have that much to drink?

“Hey! You okay? Addy called saying you were pretty wasted,” Josh said approaching Katie 

Katie just turned around and looked at him, her buzz was starting to wear off. “Yeah, I’m just starting to get a headache.”

“Well let’s go upstairs, get you some Advil and get you into bed.”

“Sounds good,” Katie said following Josh to their apartment. 

Just as Josh was opening the door, Katie blurted out, “And I yelled at Addy.”

“I know, she told me,” Josh said as Katie just stood there. “Come on let’s get you into bed.” 

 

Meanwhile back at Alex and Addy’s place.

Alex walked into the loft, getting home later then he had anticipated. He just wanted to go play some pickup basketball with the guys; however, they somehow convinced him to out for drinks afterwards. 

As he walked into the living room, he noticed Addy sleeping on the couch, and then it dawned on him. 

“Shit!” he mumbled under his breath, going over to the laundry room. He opened the washer and noticed the sheets were still in there. 
“Fuck,” he rolled his eyes putting the sheets in the dryer, before heading back into the living room. 

“Sorry,” he whispered to Addy, waking her up a little. 

“You forgot to put the sheets in the dryer before you left,” Addy said not opening her eyes 

“I know, and I’m sorry.”

“It’s really not that hard Alex.”

“They’re in the dryer right now.”

Addy gave him a thumbs up, and turned her back to him as she went back to sleep. 

Alex sighed kissing Addy on the cheek and went to go get ready for bed. Looks like he’ll also be sleeping on the couch tonight. 

 

In the middle of the night

Katie was having a hard time sleeping. She kept tossing and turning, and her mind was in overdrive. She released Josh’s grip from around her, and got of out bed to taking a sleeping pill, hoping it would make her at least get some descent sleep tonight. 

She headed into the bathroom, and took a look in the mirror. 

“Oh God,” she mumbled seeing her reflection, rubbing her hands over her face. 

She quickly grabbed the pill container and swallowed the sleeping pill, as she took the pill, a single lighting strike lit up the apartment. 

Not thinking anything of it, she got back into bed and snuggled close to Josh. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc