Later that night

 

 

“Alright, so they’ve been read not one, not two, but 3 bedtime stories and are now passed out. Sophie is in Elsie’s bed with her, and Emerik’s in his own bed,” Alex said coming from the twin’s bedroom into the living room, where Addy was watching TV while Katie slept on the couch.  “So, what’s going on?” 

“Well…,” Addy started as she got up from the couch, careful not to wake Katie up. “She came into my office this morning scared and confused. She said yesterday was 2014 and today she woke up in 2019.” 

“Josh? Josh!” they both heard Katie mumble in her sleep. 

Alex just looked at Addy. “Did she just say Josh’s name?” 

Addy looked back at Alex. 

“Why is she saying Josh’s name Addy?” 

"Yea, that's kinda the problem of the day."

"Addy?" Alex said curious. 

"She believes she was with Josh."

"Say what!"

"Alexander!” Addy hissed, while nodding Katie’s direction. 

"Sorry," he said softly. "She knows Josh was killed right. She remembers that right?"

"No, she doesn't remember! Hell, she doesn’t even remember the last 5 years."

Alex couldn't help but run his hand through his hair. "This is messed up. Does Trevor know?"

“I don’t think so,” Addy said heading into their bedroom with Alex hot on her heels. 

“So, if Trevor doesn’t know what’s going on, I’m taking it neither does Sophie?” 

“I highly doubt a 2-year-old is going to know what’s going with her mom right now,” Addy said changing into her PJs 

“You never know Addy. Kids normally have a sixth sense about these things,” Alex said sitting on the bed. 

“Look, I’ll call Trevor at the station, and just let him know that Katie and Sophie are over here for the night, and I’ll sleep in the living room just in case she wakes up in the middle of the night. Don’t worry, I’ve got it handled for now.” 

“How can I not worry Addy? She thinks she has another life with Josh! I think I’m in the right to worry, he was one of my best friends,” Alex said, just as his text message alert went off. 

Addy rolled her eyes. “Is that her? ‘Nurse’ Becky? Actually, I don’t want to know. I’m going to call Trevor, go to bed and try to prepare for the morning,” Addy said grabbing her pillow and making her way back into the living room, leaving Alex in his spot on the bed. 

He grabbed his cell phone, checking the text message hoping it wasn’t from whom Addy was thinking it was from. 

 

Meanwhile back in the kitchen, Addy was giving Trevor a call. 

“Denver Fire…” the person answered. 

“Is Trevor Bratcher there?” Addy asked.

“Um, yes hold on,” the person on the other side said. After a short hold and some muttering in the background, Trevor was on the phone” 

“This is Lt. Bratcher,” Trevor said. 

“Trevor, it’s Addy.”

“Oh hey! What’s up?”

“I just wanted to let you know that Sophie is staying over here for the night, and Katie thought she would just stay over as well,” Addy said biting her thumbnail, a little fib won’t hurt Trevor right now. 

“Um, sounds good thanks for the call,” Trevor said. 

“No problem, didn’t want you to worry tomorrow when you get home and they’re not there,” Addy said. 

“I appreciate it. Tell them good night for me.”

“I will… and you have a good night also.”

“I will, thanks Addy.”

“Like I said, no problem. Bye,” Addy said hanging up her cell phone. 

 

She knew she should have told him, but it wasn't a conversation for the phone and during a shift. Sighing, she looked towards the living room. She couldn't understand how things could have gone so wrong with her husband. They were struggling and she didn't know if they were going to be able to fix it. 

 

Then there was Katie. The talk they had over dinner was crazy, and Addy tried to understand what was going on, but her friend had jumped off the deep end. She almost wanted to travel and see Josh's grave to prove to Katie that he was gone, but the main question was never answered. What made her think of Josh, and what made her think they had a relationship? This whole thing was crazy, and she wouldn't mind it going back to normal. 

 

Katie woke up and stared at the ceiling. She had, had another dream of Josh, and it was so real to her. Rubbing her forehead she wondered where she was. Looking around she noticed it was Addy and Alex’s, she noticed Addy was sleeping on the other part of the sectional couch. Her head hurt from trying to think of her and Josh, but when she was with him it felt so right. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc