Later that night, back in the bedroom, Alex’s phone was going off as he was on call at the hospital for the night. In his groggy state, he looked at his phone and saw a text message from an unknown number, telling him that he was needed because there was a multiple car accident on the highway with multiple children involved. He didn’t question it, but just got up and got ready to go to work. 

He stepped out into the living room and saw his wife and one of her best friends sleeping on the sectional. He smiled at the site in front of him, then walked over to Addy and kissed her on the cheek. 

“Got called in, so I’ll see you later. Love you,” Alex whispered to Addy before leaving the loft. 

He knew him and Addy were struggling with their marriage, and they both wanted to fix it, but neither one knew how or even where to start. Plus, the new 1st year resident, Becky, wasn’t helping the situation. 

As soon as he got to the hospital, he put his stuff away in his locker, changed into his scrubs and went to go check in at the nurse’s station to see what was going on. As he was walking through the ER, he noticed how quiet it was and that there really was no huge emergencies going on. 

“Hey Emily & Nat,” Alex greeted two of the veteran ER nurses while yawning. 

“Hey Alex! What are you doing here? Aren’t you on call tonight?” Natalie asked. 

“Uh yeah, I got a message saying to come in as there was a multi MVA on the highway with multiple kids involved,” Alex said. “I didn’t question it and just came in.” 

“Um… well hate to break it to you, but there’s nothing like that going on,” Emily said looking around. “So, lucky you can go back home and go back to bed.” 

“Sooo… neither of you sent this message?” Alex said showing the two ladies his phone just as one of the other ER doctors who were on duty came up. 

“Osterberg! What are you doing here? Aren’t you on call tonight?” asked Dr. Jason Tate, one of the other emergency room doctors.  

“Yeah I am, but I got a message saying that I needed to come in because there was a multi-car accident with kids,” Alex said getting frustrated with this by the minute. 

Jason looked around the ER, “Yeah, nothing like that yet tonight. Just your average ER night, nothing too exciting.” 

Alex then looked at his phone, “So, none of you sent this message?”

“Nope,” he heard from everyone around him. 

“Plus, you know the hospital never sends on call text messages, they always use the pagers,” Jason said. 

“Yeah, I know,” Alex said rubbing his face. “But with the lack of sleep and with family and friend issues going on right now, I didn’t bother to call and check.  Well thanks anyway guys! Hope you have a good rest of your night.” 

Just as he turned around, he ran into Becky, the very well endowed red head first year ER resident, who he also made the mistake of sleeping with when they were both very drunk a couple of months ago.  The same night, Addy was out of town at a conference and the twins were at their Uncle Lukas’ place for the night. 

“Hey!” Becky smiled. 

“Becky…” Alex said as Jason patted his shoulder on his way to check on patients. 

“I was the one who sent the message. I just wanted to see you, and I didn’t think it was such a big deal,” Becky said putting her hands on his stomach. 

“Becky! This has got to stop! We need to talk,” Alex sternly said removing her hands from his stomach. 

 

**BACK AT THE LOFT** 

Sophie walked out of the bedroom she was staying in, her blonde hair going every which way and one of her PJ pant legs pushed up, she was on the hunt for her mom, and found her on the couch fast asleep. 

She knew something was going on with her mom, and watched to make sure everything was going to okay. She crawled up on the couch and snuggled up next to Katie and fell asleep again. 

Katie opened an eye when she felt someone crawl up on the couch and snuggle close to her. She watched as the 2-year-old got confortable then fell back asleep. Only this time, Katie didn’t freak out, as there was something strangely calm about this and for some reason she was okay with it and fell back asleep with her arms around Sophie.   

 

**BACK AT THE HOSPITAL** 

“Becky- we really need to talk about this,” Alex said. “How about we talk in one of the on-call rooms, so one can disturb us.” 

“Fine by me,” Becky smiled taking Alex’s hand and leading the way. Alex immediately took his hand back and followed her in to one of the rooms. 

As Becky shut the door behind them, she pushed Alex up against the door and started to kiss him hard on the lips, while starting to take off his scrub top.

That’s when Alex was able to push Becky off of him. 

“I told you Becky- this has got to stop! The text messages, the phone calls, just everything has to stop!” 

“But I don’t want to stop, it just feels soo good,” Becky moaned as she moved her lips from Alex’s neck back to his mouth, only to have Alex push her away. “Oh getting rough? I like it” 

“Yeah it feels good to you because it’s so wrong, and that’s why it has to stop! That one night, we were both drunk and it shouldn’t have happened,” Alex said moving from his spot on the door to sit on one of the beds in the room. 

“But it did happen Alex! And it was great and amazing, and I want this thing between us to happen,” Becky said. 

“It’s not going to happen! There is no ‘us’- it was a drunken one-night thing! My wife was out of town, and my twins were at their Uncle’s because I had to work overnight,” Alex said. “It was a mistake that was never supposed to happen! It was just supposed to be drinks with co-workers after work that’s it!” 

“But you know I can give you so much more than your wife can,” Becky said as she started to take off her shirt.  

“Keep your fucking shirt on. This is done and over with- NO MORE!” Alex said slamming the door as he left the room. 

“Bye you guys,” Alex said to Emily and Natalie on his way out. 

“Bye Alex- have a good rest of your night,” they said, just as Becky walked out of the on-call room while putting her top back on, making sure it looked like they just had hooked up in the room. 

When Alex got home, he had noticed Sophie made her way out to her mom, and he was to exhausted to make it to the bedroom or to change, so he just went over to cuddle next to Addy, waking her up. 

“Hey,” Addy whispered. “I thought you were at work.”

“I was, but it was just a false alarm,” Alex said, “And I was just too lazy to change back into my street clothes”

“Awww… you know I love how adorable you look in your scrubs.” 

“I know, I can’t help it,” Alex smiled wrapping his arms around Addy, who just closed her eyes, and then she sneezed. 

“Are you okay?” Alex said. 

“I don’t know?” Addy said sneezing a few more times. “What’s that smell? It kinda smells like cheap perfume from Victoria’s Secret.” 

“I don’t know, I can’t smell anything,” Alex said closing his eyes. 

Addy sneezed again, and this time into Alex’s scrub sleeve, and that’s where she really smelled the perfume. 

“Alex, it’s on your shirt. You went to go see her huh?” Addy asked turning over to face him, and trying not to cause both of them to fall off their part of the sectional. 

Alex just looked at his wife and sighed, “She was part of the false alarm problem. Nothing happened though.” 

Addy closed her eyes; “Whatever, we can talk about it later, but at least can you take off the scrub top? The smell is starting to give me a horrible migraine.”

Stripping off his scrub top he looked at his wife. "Addy I swear to you nothing happened. I pushed her away and told her enough was enough. I swear Addy." He exclaimed. 

"I don't want to hear your excuses."

"Please believe me."

"I'm tired and I would like to go back to bed," she said turning her back to him and falling back asleep. 

Alex sighed sadly. "God, I love you Addy." Pressing his head into her back and falling sleep himself. 




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc