The Next Morning

 

Katie stood staring at the fridge in Addy and Alex’s kitchen when a Christmas card had caught her eye. 

"Addy?"

"Yea?" Addy asked, looking up from making coffee. 

"Who's this?" Katie asked pointing at the picture. 

"Hmm... That's..." Addy stuttered. "Just one of Alex's old high school friends." 

"The little boy looks so freaking familiar," she said studying the picture. 

Addy bite down on her lip, as she put the cereal bowls the kids left in the dishwasher. Thinking why couldn’t have Alex put the dishes away before leaving with the kids to go to his weekly pickup basketball game. Addy just shook her head in disbelief at her husband. 

"You know who it looks like."

"It's Josh's son." Addy finally confessed. 

Katie looked over with wide eyes, and then looked back at the picture. It brought tears to her eyes, and the image of her and Josh together came rushing back. 

"How did I screw this all up?"

"Katie, you didn't screw up. Trevor is a good husband and you have a beautiful daughter. You have to get Josh out of your head, it didn't happen I'm so sorry."

"So is this is wife?"

"No, just a girlfriend. He accidentally got her pregnant. Zachary was only two years old." Addy said, knowing to leave out the part about Josh talking about how he was going to proposed to her. 

"Oh that poor little thing." Her heart was breaking. “Is that Tiffany then?” 

"Oh god no. Tiffany was long out of the picture. That’s Sam, but Katie, I'm begging you to just move on. Come on, we should be getting ready for work." 

Addy grabbed a mug from the Keurig and handed it to her friend. Addy could tell that Katie just wasn't there with her, and was somewhere else. Shaking her head, she gently put her hand on her arm. 

"Just let it go, Katie. Work on trying to remember the present. The past is in the past, so just leave it alone."

With that Addy took her coffee and headed towards her and Alex’s room. 

Katie stood there for a few minutes. Taking the magnet off the picture, she took it with her to the guest bath. 

 

*A FEW DAYS LATER*

"Hey, do you know what is going on with Katie?" Trevor asked. 

He had asked Alex to lunch, because he needed to know what was going on with his wife. She wasn't sleeping and she had been crying the past few nights, but she would never tell him why. 

Alex took a long drink of his beer, and looked up at his friend and wondered what he should say. Should he tell him the truth or change the subject? 

"Trevor. Please don’t make me do this," Alex mumbled. "But do you remember my friend Josh?"

"Yea the one that past away in the car accident, right?"

"Yes. The same night you and Katie got back together around 5 years ago, well, she was supposed to go out to dinner with Addy and I to meet him. Well I guess a couple of nights ago Addy and Katie got together for drinks, and something was brought up and that night Katie had, I guess, a vivid dream that she was with Josh. Trevor, she doesn't remember the last 5 years."

Trevor stared at his friend in disbelief. He was quiet. Alex didn't know what more to say or do, and after several minutes went by Alex couldn't take it anymore.

"Trevor?"

"How... How can she just fucking forget?!"

"I don't know dude. I guess you just have to give her time. I'm sure she will just get back into a routine and everything will get back to normal." 

"Give her freaking time? What the hell am I suppose to do while she's trying to figure out her shit? We have a daughter to take care of. What about me? How am I supposed to just sit back? You’re a doctor, can’t you do something?" 

"Trevor settle down! And yes I’m a doctor, but there’s nothing I can do- that’s a neurologists job, not a pediatric emergency doctors.

"God this is just mad. She's my wife."

"I know she's your wife and she will still be your wife. I just don't know what to tell you besides just to give her time."

Trevor only shook his head and looked away trying to fight his emotions as they finished their lunch in silence. 

"Where are you going Trevor?"

"To visit my wife."

"I don’t think that would be a good idea."

"Don't tell me what to do."

It was no use, the man pushed his friend away and quickly got into his car. Alex rubbed his hand over his face. This was very bad, he thought as he texted Addy to give her a heads up. 

Trevor stormed into Pikes Peak Advertising, walking right past the receptionist and straight for his wife’s office.  

"Katie!" Trevor said opening her office door. 

"Trevor!" She exclaimed jumping in her seat. 

"When did we get married?" 

"What?"

"When did we get married?" 

Suddenly Katie felt her heart start to race. She honestly couldn't remember. 

"How can you not fucking remember when we got married?"

"I don't know," she whispered. "I'm sorry."

"You aren't with him Katie. He's fucking dead."

"Please stop," Katie whispered, as she noticed people were staring in their direction.  

"How could you even forget about Sophie being born? She's our life Katie. Our life!"

"Trust me Trevor I'm trying to figure things out. So, I'm sorry this is happening."

"It's all in your damn head. Snap out of it Katie." 

"Trevor! What are you doing here?" Addy asked walking into Katie office, not getting Alex’s text. 

"Thanks for being a good friend and telling me what was going on." Trevor hissed looking at Addy as he turned back to his wife. "I fucking expect you to be home tonight." Then left the office. 

Closing her eyes, Katie tried being somewhere else. This had turned into a complete nightmare. 

"Katie you ok?" Addy asked. 

"I don't know what to do. I should remember this shit. This shouldn't be happening." 

"Get back to work you two," Jim explained loudly walking by. 

 

Addy gave her friend a encouraging smile then left closing the door behind her, while telling everyone else to get back to work.

Opening her desk drawer Katie pulled out the small Christmas card she had stolen from her friends fridge and stared at it. The little boy gave her the image of Josh. She remembered the day they had met. She remembered the dinner the four had and the feelings in her stomach. The butterflies had been real that night, she just knew it, but she was married and God help her to remember the last five years. What stumped her most was what happened for her to forget. Did she drink too much? Hit her head? Looking back at the picture she knew she had to meet that little boy



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc